“Wonderfully relaxing experience in a beautiful location” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cambridge Beaches
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Cherry Hill, NJ
“Wonderfully relaxing experience in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

Cambridge Beaches is a real gem. A nice ride from the airport allows you to get a glimpse of the island. Though the hotel reception area definately needs some updating, reception staff was extremely nice and made check-in a breeze. While the rooms facing the marina have been updated and have more modern furnishings and a newer look, those on the opposite side, facing the beach and Breezes restaurant have a fabulous view and a great breeze. The spa was amazing, and I visit a lot of spas. Treatments were top notch. The main beach was beautiful, though staff needed a little prompting to to find more chairs for us. Once they knew us, expecially Roy, who works the beach and Breezes bar, service improved tremendously. Breakfast in the room, which the hotel is known for, was great, especially enjoyed out on our patio. But don't miss the buffet in the main dining room. It rivals any in the U.S. The pool was gorgeous, but not situated near their best beach so we felt like we had to choose between pool or beach. Dinner at Tamerind was good, but dinner at Breezes, especially if you can get a table right on the beach, is amazing. The two chefs, from Germany and Austria, did amazing things from a postage stamp sized kitchen. Mopeds are available to rent right o properly and the tennis courts looked fine. Afternoon tea was a nice touch. Overall, Cambridge Beaches is a wonderful get away to relax, unwind and rejuvinate.

• Liked — serenity, luxury
1 Thank emc12y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2007

If you are thinking about going to an island to get married, doing so at Cambridge Beaches is the ONLY way to go! I reseached several islands and several hotels, and found that Bermuda was the easiest chioce there was.

First off, the short flights from The New York area cannot be beat. Secondly, you do not need a minimun occupancy time on the island before you get married (some island were as much as 3 days.) So if you do not have a lot of time to take off, it works out well. You do not need to run all over the island going to the court house, getting blood test, or chest x-rays as you do in most of the Carribean or Mexico.

The only requirement is for you to send copies of your birth certificates, any divorce papers and then they announce the names of the parties being married in the newspaper 3 times. I cannot even explain the ease of the execution of our wedding thanks to the wedding coordinator/assistant manager, Nadja Talevi at Cambridge Beaches, Bermuda. For the Brides who don't want to lift a finger in arranging their, wedding Nadja is your answer.

There are also other nice hotels in Bermuda, I'm sure, But there was something very cozy and sweet about Cambridge Beaches, I did not want to have all of the attention we would have gotten from other vacationers at more commercialized resorts. Besides, I know those resorts do not come with Nadja, the guest relations manager!

I only sent Najda a picture of the bouquet I wanted, and told her our food restrictions and the rest was effortless. We selected a popular priavate cove on the beach to have the ceremony, which was truly dream-like, lead by Rev. Alan Garrity, whom was a fabulous Scottish gentleman. He truly cared about the words coming out of his mouth, the vows he said were so beautiful, my husband and I didn't need to say a thing, the Rev. covered it all and made it so special!

We had the ceremony at 6:30 P.M. with a violinist, vidiographer, and photographer and a candle light dinner to follow. We opted for the wedding package that Cambridge Beaches offers, which I HIGHLY recommend, which includes a 5 night stay in the private pool suite (again, the only way to go!) and a meal plan, etc..

If I had to do it all over again I would not change ONE THING! The pictures were spectaculor, the scenery was so picturesque, the weather was perfect, food-incredible, and trust me you will not be dissapointed!

One other note: we dined at the Waterlot House during our stay, this is a MUST!! It is now one of my favoite resturants ever!!

Mr. & Mrs. Strazza!

• Liked — Our wedding coordinator, Nadja
  • Disliked — bed could have been a bit more comfy
2 Thank hstrazza
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

Unbelievable views from lovely and spacious rooms. The grounds of this resort are immaculate, the indoor and outdoor pools inviting and the staff is Bermuda friendly and always helpful. We ate in the restaurants on the property several times during our 5 day stay and every meal was delicious. My wife and I can't wait to return.

Stayed May 2007
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2007

We were very delayed by British Airways getting to Bermuda and arrived at the hotel very late at night. We were welcomed by their night security who took us immediately in their cute little golf carts to our cottage. Cambridge Beaches is a cottage colony hotel with wonderful Bermuda cottages dotted about the property. We didn't know where we were going or where we would find ourselves in the morning. We were not disappointed on waking and opening the curtains to see a manicured lawn sloping down to a row of palm trees behind which was the blue, blue sea. Wonderful! Our cottage was enchanting, a real old Bermuda home with cedar beams and doors, we had a large sitting room, hallway, dressing room, bathroom and bedroom. At the front of the cottage we had a sunken garden with table and loungers, at the back overlooking Long Bay we had another covered terrace with table and chairs with a further open terrace with loungers over looking the view. All just for us! Unbelievable space and privacy. We loved it. The main feeling I got from this hotel was peace and privacy. You can avoid everyone if you want to. The hotel was full at the time of our visit but you would never know it except in the dining room at night when there is a pleasant buzz and atmosphere of lots of people enjoying themselves.

The staff are particularly good, all charming and helpful and good at their jobs. I would like to mention a few by name as they were just so good! Dev, in the restaurants always knew our name from the first day onwards and could not do enough for us, Roy on the beach was a star, Nanda in the Shutters restaurant made one night particularly special, etc. etc. I wish I could remember their names, there were two brothers too who were wonderful. Fritz the restaurant manager was very skilled and the chefs too deserve a mention. The food is very good!

We ate very well indeed. We were on MAP plan which meant we could eat in any of the three restaurants at night. We loved the main restaurant The Tamarisk Room for its formal style and wonderful view over Mangrove Bay. One night sitting on the very edge of the terrace we saw a HUGE stingray float by in the dusk.
We enjoyed Shutters for it's informality and barbeque food, but we particularly loved Breezes on the beach. The food there at night is particularly good. Two young german chefs do a great job with wonderful fish, delicious!

You can actually sit on the beach with your feet in the warm sand with the sun going down eating such good food. Really lovely and very popular with the honeymooners! My husband took so many photos of those sunsets!

When we were not eating breakfast, lunch and dinner we were enjoying tea! They put on a great tea at 4pm in the main house with delicious sandwiches, cakes etc. Guests loved it, especially the Americans who thought it was very English. In fact it is all quite English, the very best of English style and old fashioned courtesy.

There are parts of the hotel which are definitely 21st century. The brand new pool and terraces are quite spectacular and hollywood! This is really something to see! We loved it and were torn between swimming there or at the beach. In the end the beach won as I really think Long Bay has to be the best beach in the world. It is so pretty, a long pink sweep of sand backed by the hotels gardens which are slightly wild and jungle with pools of fish and turtles, wonderful birds, exotic trees and flowers. You can walk through them quite alone and you get a feeling of what Bermuda must have been like centuries ago.

The sea at Long Bay is shallow at low tide and you can walk out with the warm sea lapping at your ankles to look back at the shore. When the tide is in the swimming is calm, warm and crystal clear. Perfect.

There is a very good spa at the hotel too where I had a warm stone massage which was fun.

We were lucky to have two weeks at the hotel and they were two such peaceful, restful, happy weeks. We haven't had such a good holiday in ages and I would recommend Cambridge Beaches to anyone. It's a spectacular hotel, in a wonderful location with exceptional staff. We really loved it and can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Daphne T
Palm City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Cambridge Beaches (July 4th-8th). This was our first visit to Bermuda and CB. They are both romantic must dos. We were celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary and we wanted a quiet, relaxing, beautiful place to enjoy each other. The location gets an A+ with gorgeous ocean views. The layout of resort and the landscaping were very nice. Flowers everywhere. I have to agree with another review- CB isn't for everyone. If you want quiet romance- this is your place. For action and nightlife, go elsewhere. If you are bringing young children/teens, go elsewhere. They might get bored. They did have a great musical duo one night- they were pros!

My husband owns his own company and needed some stress relief. He hasn't been this relaxed on a vacation in years. And he loved the king sized bed whose mattress had the right ratio of firm and soft. He never slept so well! He loved the upscale linens and towels too. The deep whirlpool tub was wonderful and very relaxing. The decor in our cottage was tropical with some lovely antiques.

I looked for many of the negatives that others wrote about and couldn't find them. No bugs- except outside. NO mold or mildew smell in our oceanview room. We were not in the newer renovated rooms, but we had a better ocean view overlooking Somerset Long Bay. The breakfast buffet was excellent and was very fresh. The buffet had everything that you could possibly want for breakfast and more. They must have hired more waitstaff- waiters were everywhere and they were being well monitored. They got everything we asked for, and they cleared the plates quickly. The staff at CB we found to be great. They were friendly and very helpful- no problems for us. The taxis were not a problem either. The hotel got them for us when asked. No problems in check-in or check-out. We did rent a scooter for the four days and loved it. It was so convienent, but you have to be very careful and sure of your driving skills. We didn't ride it at night.

We did ride down to the Elbow Beach resort- we were not impressed. We also rode down to 9 Beaches- that is like glorified camping. That resort is plain ugly and a big rip-off. Doesn't even compare to CB. Their cottages are made of canvas or vinyl and when it's windy, the canvas shakes. It must keep the people up at night. We had a disappointing dinner at Aqua at the Ariel Sands hotel.The food was good, but the atmosphere was mediocre at best. We should have gone to The Reefs for that dinner.

The food that we ate on site at CB was excellent. My husband and I especially loved our romantic dinner at Breezes. We saw a wedding at the hotel while we were at the new infinity pool (which is beautiful- we loved it). The bride looked very happy with all of the arrangements.

After staying at CB for several days I still can't believe some of the negative reviews. It's like they stayed in a different place. The value of some of the rooms could be better and I agree that they should have a courtesy van to/from the airport. I put that on my survey sheet. But you can't go wrong staying at CB. Our only wish was that we could have stayed much longer. Maybe next time. We too have recommended it to several other couples. Go love, laugh, relax and romance at the most romantic resort in Bermuda- Cambridge Beaches!

• Liked — The location, ocean views, quiet, peaceful and very romantic
  • Disliked — more value for the room- if they continue to renovate, that will take care of that
3 Thank jgrace7
dolcevitatravel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

I booked a 3 night stay at one of the hotels pool suites at $1500.00 (US) a night. My wife and I travel frequently with our two young children. This trip was suppose to be a little romantic getaway for my wifes birthday. We arrived on 6/30 with great expectations and left early on 7/1 with great disappointment. Lets start first with some positives: the pool suite we were in bay grapes (#205) was nicely appointed. The room had a flat screen TV, bose sound system, beautiful marble bathroom, huge shower,large patio area and beautiful views and pool layout.
The negatives: Roaches,Roaches,Roaches. Yes, I know, Crazy! The pool was full of insects. There were about 5 roaches and plenty of dead flying insects when we first checked in. We called the front desk right away. About 1 hour later a pool tech came to clean out the pool. He was there for about ten minutes. So after that I jumped in assuming it was clean, wrong! The pool tech didn't skim the side were all the little dead flying insects were. I spoke to the manager he said he was sorry but really didn't have an answer. It got so bad after awhile that I asked the front desk to leave me the skimmer on the patio and I'll clean it. So our first day was a nightmare at $1,500.00 a night. The next morning I got up to realize there's a real problem with either were the suite is located or the resorts grounds really has an insect problem. The pool was full again with insects. Then and there we decided to leave for home. I called the airlines and flew out that afternoon. With the hotel already charging me for a 2 night non refundable depoist, I was out of $3,000.00 with a 1 1/2 stay at the roach motel. As a consolation the hotel didn't charge for the third night...They are so kind and understanding, they took there money and never thought twice about making it right. Actually one of the ladies answer to me at the front desk was "Sir we can't due anything about it because your on an island." These people are from a different world, we're I come from roaches and bugs in your most expensive and supposly best suite is a big problem. They never once asked me to be switched to a different room or even a hint of some refund.I never have written a review before but I was compelled to due so. I hope people read this before they even think about this resort or pool suite. They advertise there's only 3 pool suites on the whole island and they have them all at Cambridge Beaches,well they can keep them......don't book these pool suites you will be disgusted.
On a positive note the island is beautiful and we will give it another chance at a different hotel with my family.
Sorry for no pictures got out of there in a hurry.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank dolcevitatravel
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

I cannot imagine what happened to Dendrite, but we just returned from a 4 day stay - our first in Bermuda. Cambridge Beaches was just what they represent. It was a most enjoyable experience. The staff was friendly and not obtrusive. They were prompt and courteous. Dey and Heath were very helpful. We will stay there if again if we make a return trip to Bermuda and have already recommended the resort to two other couples thinking of visiting the country.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — The wine was marked up too much
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!