“Great base to stay and visit the park”
Review of Homestead Cottages

Homestead Cottages
Ranked #1 of 4 Ahwahnee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2007

What an excellent spot.

You get your own little home from home.

It's near enough to drive to shops etc for food and to the park. It's secluded and peaceful.

Great access to the park.

The hosts are great people.

We moved here from where we started our trip in San Francisco and stayed a few nights. We left to drive over the park to Mono Lake - which was a fantastic drive.

Highly recommended.

3  Thank A-non-o-mouse

Reviewed 4 September 2007

My husband & I stayed here for our 1st anniversary while visiting Yosemite. A bit of a drive to Yosemite, but we both loved the quiet private setting - perfect for our anniversary!! Lovely kitchen (fridge stocked with OJ, milk as well as fresh muffins & granola for breakfast) & very comfortable. Our only complaint were the flat, old pillows that hopefully they have replaced since our visit (had a bit of a neck crick in the mornings)! Highly recommended for those who want to get away from the crowds. My husband was skeptical about staying so far away from Yosemite, but now can't wait to go back and stay there again on our next trip out there!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mphenry23
Reviewed 28 August 2007

If you are exiting the park via the southern entrance you must stay here!! I've always stayed at hotels, never any B&B's or cottages so I must admit I was a little nervous about this lodging (this was the third stop out of four lodgings during our trip) but I trusted everyone's reviews and boy were they right, this place was paradise. Upon arriving, Larry (one of the owners), greeted us and helped us pick a place to eat in the area (they have menus and recommendations of local restaurants set up in the front office). We were pleasantly surprised to find that we were upgraded to a cottage as another couple extended their stay. Larry gave us the grand tour of the cottage and I was impressed. I am very particular about cleanliness and this place was so clean and tastefully decorated! You truly felt at home with soft, colored towels and sheets (that may sound funny but after a week of looking at hotel white sheets and towels color made me feel like home!), large living room, and even a stocked kitchen! The breakfast was great, granola cereal, milk, juice, fruit, and muffins that rival Starbucks! I would go back in a heartbeat but this time I'd stay a little longer! See you in 5-10 years??!!

3  Thank LeahB444
Reviewed 17 August 2007

This was our second stay at the Homestead, and it was just as good as our first last year. The cottages are lovely - all hand built and designed by Larry and Cindy themselves - and the scenery just stunning.
The location is perfect - just a half hour drive to the Big trees and around 45 minutes to Yosemite - to be avoided in the height of summer!
I would definitely recommend the cottages to anyone wanting a quiet break away from the madness that can be Yosemite in summer! We certainly hope to return again.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mac60
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Homestead on a last minute trip to Yosemite. We consider ourselves EXTREMELY fortunate to have found this gem in a beautiful setting so close to the park. Our unit was in pristine condition, beautifully decorated and came with all the amenities we could have expected and more, including a fully stocked kitchen with plenty of room to cook! Cindy and Larry were gracious hosts from the moment we arrived. Their pride and passion for what they do was obvious, especially in their efforts to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We were in awe of the work they put into building these cottages by hand. The time and effort they have put into making the cottage look and feel so homey has paid off and felt like an added bonus for our stay. We've never been as excited to come back to our "hotel room" at the end of a day exploring as we were at the Homestead. We sat outside each night and looked at the stars and enjoyed the silence afforded by the secluded location. It really felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We only wish our stay was longer and can't wait to return. If you are looking for a home away from home on your visit to Yosemite DO NOT MISS OUT on the Homestead!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank las77va
Reviewed 29 May 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Homestead Cottages on a recent trip to Yosemite. We LOVED the cottages and would stay there again in a minute. The cottages were very cozy and homey, but had every modern amenity you would ever want -- full service stocked kitchen (we cooked our own dinner every night we were there), gas fireplace, satellite TV, etc. Cindy, the innkeeper, was friendly and helpful.

The cottage was immaculate, in perfect repair, beautifully furnished and larger than I expected. I especially loved the spacious bathroom. It was great to be able to share a bathroom with my husband and not bump into each other constantly! Even the shower itself was oversized! There is parking right in front of each individual cabin, which is very convenient.

The breakfast provided is simple -- granola cereal, milk, juice, fruit and muffin, but very satisfying. It is brought to your room by the staff the day before, so you have the convenience of eating breakfast whenever you want in the privacy of your own cabin. We really liked that.

The location is good, but it is a little farther away from Yosemite than some of the other lodgings in the area (by about maybe 10-15 minutes by car). I felt that the upsides of the cabins FAR outweighed this minor convenience.

The setting of the cabins is beautiful -- they overlook an operating farm (watch out for the free range cows on the road, especially at night!) and are far enough away from each other that you have privacy. There are beautiful flower gardens all around and the rustic design of the cabins blends beautifully with the setting. If you have time, be sure to check out the binder in each room with both the history of how the Homestead came to be as well as the history of the farm across they way. Definitely interesting reading and great insight into the history of the area.

The only think I disliked about the Homestead was the water -- it's very hard water and, to me, not suitable for drinking. While it was safe to drink, it just tasted awful. It was fine for bathing and cooking, but we bought a large container of spring water and drank that instead. No problem.

If you're traveling to Yosemite, I highly recommend The Homestead Cottages.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nigoleta
Reviewed 22 September 2006

This lovely property is all it states on its website and more. The absolute epitome of peace and silence set in nature. Four miles from the town of Oakhurst, it truly is a "get away". The owners were above and beyond ordinary inn keepers. They were sincere, friendly and helpful but left you alone unless you asked for something. These five cabins are set far enough apart to insure privacy. The fresh orange juice waiting in our refrigerator when we arrived was perfect way to start our stay. Thoughtfulness by the owners can be seen everywhere from the chilled glasses in the fridge to fresh flowers on the kitchen table. Very homey, very rejuvenating for the weary soul. Above average in everyway for cleanliness, decor, convenience, ambiance.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahwahnee
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
#1 of 1 in Bass Lake
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Homestead Cottages? Share your experiences!