“Excellent place to stay, relax and enjoy wilderness”

Sierra Mountain Lodge - Yosemite
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 May 2010

When my wife and I arrived on site, she was pleasantly surprised about the place, especailly the view from the deck outside of our suite. She loves it at first sight even before we check into the suite. She gets even more excited after we go inside or two-floor Sterling suite. The breakfast was great, and innkeepers John and Brenda were very friendly. The view from the deck was wonderful on both raining and shinning days. We had breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the dect to really make ourselve right at home. On one of the nights with clear sky we saw so many stars from the deck. Inside the suite it was very clean all around, the kitchen, dining area, living room, bath room (bath room was like spot less) and bed room (upstair). There were plenty of closet to hang our cloth. They also have DVD's you can borrow to watch. My wife and I always watch a DVD movie after coming back from our hiking at the Yosemite park each day. Overall, we stayed four nights and enjoyed every moment of it. I would recommend it to friends and co-workers. If I go back to Yosemite again, I would definitely stay at the same suite again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2010

Well, I can be very short about this: this B&B has the whole package, but just like people always tend to complain about every detail in a bad review (including myself :-)), a B&B as great as this definitely deserves a positive review in detail.

Together with 4 friends, I visited a friend in Alameda. We decided to spend 3 days in Yosemite National Park, which meant we had to spend 2 nights somewhere in the area.
I've researched for 3 days to find a decent hotel/B&B which had great surroundings, nice location, nice people, good breakfast and clean rooms.
I've read a lot of horror stories when it came to hygienically-clean rooms and a lot of people ended op in an overpriced and overrated 5 star hotel which wasn't that good....

Maybe this review seem a little biased because I am extremely picky when it comes to comfort and hygiene, but that should only make this a more useful review :-).

Finally I found the Sierra Mountain Lodges and I immediately started emailing with Brenda, the Innkeeper. We needed 2 suites which each could hold 4 people. We had several emailconversations and every time Brenda was more than helpful and very flexible in meeting my demands. In the end, we came up with a calculation which was 702 dollars for 7 people for 2 nights. We got extra discount because we payed cash and spent more than 1 night. Very nice!! So in total we payed 50 dollars a person a night. If that's not cheap, then I don't know either.
Well, I am from the Netherlands and we are used to higher prices here :-) It's around 36 euro's. With that amount, you cannot even buy an icecream here :-), well you know what I mean. But nevertheless, for 50 dollars each a night, we got very VERY cozy suites with nice romantic decoration, a lot of extra blankets, pillows and very comfortable queensized beds, a large couch and a sleepingcouch. Since we were just friends, we liked the extra sleepingcouches, which makes the suites perfectly suitable for non-couples (see also my pictures).

We had the Garden&Rose suites which had 2 bedrooms, both with a kingsized bed. Both rooms had a ceiling-fan, which could be very comfortable in the summer period.
The beds had a nice mattrass and cozy bedsheets. There was carpet on the floor allover, so you could not get cold feet :-). There were 2 closets in which fit a lot of clothes.
The stairs were a bit steep, but each step was deep enough so running the steps topspeed was no problem :-).
There was also a "cupboard under the stairs" with extra blankets and pillows. Very nice if you have kids that love Harry Potter....you can put them in the cupboard :-).

In the livingroom, there were 2 couches. 1 for 3 people, 1 for 2 people, but the one for 3 people was large enough for 1 person to sleep on. On the other side of the 3-person-couch, there was a sleeping bed. Also very comfortable. We had a TV with a DVD player (DVD's were free to borrow in the lobby) with a nice wooden TV-furniture.
The kitchen holds microwave, deepfreeze, fridge. All the necessary things for cooking were present.
On the groundfloor, you can find the bathroom, which is very good. Nice and clean, a nice double showerscreen, 1 of plastic which fits on the inside of the shower&tub (you could stick it on the walls so things don't get wet) and a fabric one to hang outside of the shower&tub. Very handy. There is enough showergel and shampoo already present. Most of the cosmetics were also partly organic. Well, for some people not very useful info, but I only use non animal tested cosmetics, so it could be worth to know :-).

The water just tasted normally. No chloric flavours or yellow-colored water which sometimes is the case when you travel to Norway or Ireland. No problems with no-hot-water-available.
If I could mention a small detail, then I would say that it gets very warm upstairs if you turn on the heating downstairs. In the livingroom, temperatures were pleasant, but upstairs very warm.

The lobby is as cozy as the suites are and overlooks a great nature-scenery when having breakfast. In the lobby, you'll find a lot of dvd's/VHS-tapes. Also a lot of information about the environment and Yosemite Park is available for free. Then again, Brenda & John are very helpful so you can ask them anything!
We were well organized, but also for people who come unprepared can get some very useful tips from Brenda & John.

The breakfast was very good. The home-made pancakes and waffles with strawberry jam and maple syrup were very good. Pineapplejuice, orange juice, grapefruit juice and a lot of fruit made the breakfast a thing to look forward to. We did the mist-trail-route in Yosemite the first day, and 9 pancakes/waffles was enough to do the hike :)

The location of the B&B is in Ahwahnee, which is an hour drive to Yosemite. Its location is great, not too deserted and close to highway 41, and 426 Mariposa. It is very quiet and you'll end up in a nice landscape-scenery. Oakhurst is only 15 minutes from the B&B to go to Raileys supermarket.

Brenda also stated we could make a bonfire if we wanted. There was plenty of wood, so if we felt like barbecuing, it was no problem at all.

We stayed 2 nights (April 1st - April 3rd) and we had bad weather the whole vacation, but people, I know bad weather CAN spoil your days, but please keep in mind that the accommodation/innkeepers don't have a weathercontroller in their backyard ;-)

So in short I would say:
- great breakfast, enough for at least half a day
- great surroundings, nice scenery
- very friendly and flexible innkeepers
- innkeepers are very well up to date with all info about Yosemite, the weatherconditions, and which roads are dangerous, and some good restaurants and hiking trails.
- nice location; you can enter yosemite from 2 sides, which also have different landscape-sceneries
- only 15 minutes drive to Oakhurst
- very clean
- cozy decorations
- the most expensive is if you book a suite with 2 people you pay 175/suite/night. So that's $87,50. So it can only get cheaper :)

So I would definitely come back here with my girlfriend or with a group of friends!!
5 stars all the way!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed in the Garden Suite, excellent beds, extremely clean, lots of nice ( female) touches to the suite.. Breakfast was superb, I hate the whole greasy breakfast theme and they catered really well for me, and for all those that do like the meaty breakfasts. The lobby is open 24 hours a day, and is packed with tons of information about the area, and there is a good supply of DVDs you can take to watch in your suite.All the rooms have coolers, but the layout of the building with its wide veranda and loads of natural shading means the rooms do not get too hot. The innkeepers Brenda and John have an excellent place we were really very comfortable staying there

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Alchemist33
Reviewed 5 June 2009

My Husband and I recently spent a week at the Sierra Mountain Lodge celebrating our honeymoon. We stayed in the Sterling Suite. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, the stay was absolutely wonderful. The facility is very easy to find as it is just far enough off the main road for easy access, yet also far enough to offer a peaceful and tranquil setting.

We had researched the lodge on the website and were very happy to find it exactly as depicted. As I travel frequently for work and stay in many different kinds of hotels, I am always surprised how it is typical a facility does not match the website description. This is not the case here! In fact, it was even better than we had hoped.

This was our first time in a bed and breakfast and we absolutely loved it! We highly recommend it to everyone.

From the minute we left the car we were greeted with beautiful roses, sweeping mountain views and a gorgeous deck with a great view. The suite was also wonderful. It was huge with a kitchen, living room (with satellite TV comfy couch and flat screen TV, major plus), huge bathroom and upstairs loft / bedroom. All of the furniture was nice and comfortable and the wood work is very nice. Everything was extremely clean and comfortable. We also had a large deck overlooking the mountains with a nice sitting area, perfect for relaxing in the evening after a day of play.

The breakfast is also great with all kinds of good food and coffee, tea, juice, etc. Breakfast is prepared by the Inn keepers, John and Brenda who are super nice and will do whatever it takes to make your stay the best possible experience. Along with the good food we also found good company every morning with John and Brenda as well as other guests. Here we learned of some great hikes in Yosemite along with good dining places. The lodge is in a great proximity to Yosemite National Park which is where we spent our days.

You can’t go wrong staying here. You get awesome facilities for a good value and you won’t be disappointed. 5 stars all the way!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjwebster
Reviewed 11 May 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the Sterling Suite. Upon arrival we met John, one of the innkeepers, he welcomed us and gave us directions to our suite. [You receive an e-mail confirmation and a code so that you can check yourself into your room]. We entered the code, retrieved the room key, and unlocked the door.

Inside we found a spacious suite. On the entrance level there is a flat screen television, couch/sofa bed, sitting chair, coffee table, dining room table with two chairs, a dorm size refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker with coffee supplies, and dishes (coffee cups, bowls, wine glasses, silverware, and plates). Next to the kitchen is a huge bathroom with shower only, no tub. The bathroom has all the supplies one would need such as a large bottle of lotion, q-tips, extra rolls of tissue, kleenex, body soap, and lots of extra towels. Inside the shower is a container on the wall with shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. The shower is one of those where you can remove the handle to rise your body or leave it up like a typical shower head.

Upstairs is the bedroom which has a king bed, one night stand with a lamp, lights over the bed and a switch to turn them on and off, two dressers, a HUGE closet with lots of hangers, a sitting area with a table and two chairs, and just as you arrive upstairs there is a small nook area with a rocking chair and the only window upstairs.

Things you should know
Now that I have described the place here are some things you should know. The bedroom is upstairs and the bathroom is downstairs, so if you have to go at 3 am, you have to truck down maybe 15 stairs or so to get to the bathroom and then truck back up to bed (hopefully you fall back to sleep easily). You might need to leave a light on or turn on the lamp before getting up because you have to step down from the bed area to head towards the stairs and at night it is completely DARK.

Breakfast
I met Brenda, the other innkeeper on our first morning. She is really nice and friendly. Being that I was last to arrive for breakfast and I was taking breakfast "to go" for us, she suggested I take the syrup container back to my suite. She was also okay with me taking the dishes from the lobby aka breakfast area back to our suite. She even made more sausages for us which was really kind of her. Also, since I was the last guest to arrive for breakfast, she suggested that I take as much food as I wanted for me and my husband. Breakfast on the two days that we ate it was waffles, sausages, hard boiled eggs, honeydew melon, strawberries, Cheerios, Fruit Loops, toast, pineapple juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, milk, coffee, and tea. There was also maple syrup, sugar-free syrup, and berry syrup. We enjoyed our breakfast.

Parking and the view
The parking for each suite or room is pretty close to where your room is. Our parking was on a gravel parking area. The view was nice and green. We could see trees near and far. Each night we could see the moon shinning just off in the distance.

Finding the place
If you have a GPS in your car, it might lead you pretty close to the lodge and then tell you, you are on your own. At road 601 turn and head down the road. This is when you will begin seeing signs for the Sierra Mountain Lodge. Apparently, the highway is protected and state owned so the innkeepers are not allowed to place signs on the highway alerting visitors to their location.

One more thing
Since there is no cooking allowed you should head in to town (Oakhurst) before it gets too late (going downhill can be quite dark at night with no street lights along the path). There are several fast food places like Mc Donalds, Jack N the Box, Taco Bell, Subway, Quiznos, etc., however, the town pretty much closes up at 11 pm if not before. So unless you had dinner at one of the many restaurants before heading back to your room or have bread, lunch meat, and chips in the dorm refrigerator, you might get hungry. This note is especially for those who might stay in and not really want to go out, there is NO pizza delivery to your door.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel4workand4fun
Yosemitebee, Owner at Sierra Mountain Lodge - Yosemite, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2009

To our future guests with limited mobility, who may be inconvenienced by stairs, may we suggest the Pine Suite or Oak Suite as they are single story suites.

Reviewed 29 March 2009

We’ve just ended a lovely two-day retreat at the Sierra Mountain Lodge, a very comfortable b&b in Awhwanee, just an hour and a half from Yosemite valley and ten minutes from Oakhurst. We chose the place from the Internet and were pleased that it matched the descriptions there and the pictures, which wasn’t the case with two other b&b’s that had also interested us, Homestead and Houndstooth. (Homestead is lovely, set back from the highway and quiet as well as private. But the pictures on the internet don’t show the small bedrooms and the lack of closet/storage space; Houndstooth is RIGHT NEXT TO busy Highway 41. There’s no natural beauty around it. We were very grateful for our choice.)

We stayed in the Sterling suite and were amazed at how spacious it is. The king-size bed is in a huge loft. There are two large closets, a chest of drawers, and a dresser. Downstairs the window overlooks the valley and ridges, a wonderful, restful vista, and there’s a living room/dining room area, as well as a small kitchen and large bathroom. Right outside is a redwood deck that runs the length of the place with plenty of areas for sitting and enjoying the ambiance.

This isn’t for people who want the “spa” experience. John Eppler and his wife have stayed close to the country theme, and visitors feel as if they’ve stepped back in time, especially in the “kitchen,” where the floors are planks of sugar pine and there are lots of objects from earlier eras there to peruse. The furniture in our unit was reminiscent of the 50s (the sofa was modern, though) with doilies and lovely little tablecloths on most of the wood surfaces.

We didn’t see the other accommodations, but from the descriptions, most are spacious and would be ideal not just for couples, like ourselves, but for families as well. The owners have set things up so their guests can have maximum privacy, though at the same time they are on call when needed and very responsive. If we’re in the area again, we definitely would choose Sierra Mountain Lodge. It’s a winner!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We stayed in the lodge for two nights during late October. The innkeepers John and his wife made us feel welcomed right from the start. The rooms are superb for the price with all the mod-coms necessary. Everything had a nice feel and the breakfast was just excelllent.

Yosemite is around is around 30-40 minutes away, but we are glad we stayed a little bit outside of the park. The best for last: the views from the deck and sunset or -rise are just amazing. Next time we are around, the Sierra Mountain Lodge it will be!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahwahnee
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite's Apple Blossom Inn
Inn the Woods Suites
Inn the Woods Suites
#3 of 4 in Ahwahnee

Been to Sierra Mountain Lodge - Yosemite? Share your experiences!