“Another wonderful "Welcome Home" from the Santika, Tuban”

Hotel Santika Premiere Beach Resort Bali
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Tuban
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We have just returned home from another, relaxing, enjoyable stay at the Santika Beach Resort in Tuban. We have lost count, but think it must have been our sixteenth or more stay over the past 26 years.
The staff at this resort are professional, friendly and nothing is too much trouble with them.
The buffet breakfasts are amazing and rate highly with top hotels around the world.
We ate dinner at the Sands Restaurant on the beach and really enjoyed our meal and the view.
We were very sad to hear that there will be major renovations starting in October. However we have booked to return again at the end of July, before the building starts,
A huge thank you to all the butlers who look after us in the Garden Bungalo's and the staff at breakfast. Too many to name, but you will all know who you are. Also a big thank you for helping us with our Indonesian lessons over the years.
We look forward to returning "home" !!

Room Tip: We recommend staying in a Garden Bungalow. More room and we love the outdoor shower.
2  Thank Ageoldtrippers

Reviewed 18 March 2013

This hotel reflects true paradise in Paradise. Staff are extremely friendly and go to the upmost in their pampering. Breakfast is a feast. Several choices and food islands where you can have made to order noodles, crepes and a great selection of Indoensian and western food. It is a true delight!! The Kunyit restaurant is part of the hotel. great food in an exclusive setting!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ricardo1961
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This hotel is very quiet so great if you want to sit by the pool and read a book or relax. The location of this hotel is fabulous as it is only a few minutes walk to the main attractions in Kuta. You can sit at the bar and watch the sun go down and it is set in a quiet and relaxing location and the gardens are beautiful. The Service is flawless from reception to house cleaning all the staff are very helpful and go out of there way to make your stay enjoyable. Would highly recommend for someone wanting some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank renee n
Reviewed 6 March 2013

1. From airport to the hotel actually will cost you only about $1 per way, but due to the midnight arrival we booked the airport transfer service from the hotel which cost us $15 per way. Hmmmm....since the location is very near, i think it will be your Plus point if you can simply provide the airport transfer for Free.. Rather then to give not so good impression from the beginning.

2. Sweet and refreshing welcome drinks..

3. UN-Polite and NO-warm welcome Greetings from the front desk guy. Just waiting to have a little bit of problem with him, and we are ready to fight.. Come on, wheres your hospitality, after a long day, arrived midnight, and feeling so tired, and that's what you get!!

4. Spacious room, big and comfy bed, with tired floors and dirty windows.

5. Loved the bathroom, changing room and cupboard arrangement in 1 room, where the bed`s, TV and living room were in "another" room..

6. Main swimming pool was Big, elegant with warm water. Where the Premiere swimming pool is having a brighter and cooler water with a sunken bar.

7. Breakfast was ok, but not too many variety of food. They serve, egg station, waffle station, fresh vegetable juicer station, International foods, Indonesian food, salad and fruit station. They don't provide soup and puddings as well, or I guess maybe they will, but in a different day.

We Loved the hotel for their swimming pools, garden, pathway to the beach, the scenery, the pond, the ducks,the fish, the architecture and the green" view all over the hotel. We got a very late check out time and the room service even clean our room like 3 times a day-I dont know why they do that too actually.

Santika Premiere Beach Resort hotel was a very good hotel, they offer you the peaceful, comfortable and Balinese atmosphere, Including the stunning pools and beach. I can not imagine if in the next 3 years, what will it be like. Maybe there's wont be 2 swimming pools, no spacious room, no garden and lack of Bali uniqueness feeling.

Well...it was very sad to hear that, specially because all the staff will be terminated for the next 2 or 3 years, But looking at the hotel and leisure growth in Bali, hopefully all of them will find a better job soon :).. So, we`ll have to browse for another hotel during my future visit to Bali then.

Room Tip: Ground floor will have balcony but smaller room, while the 2nd floor you will have a more spacious r...
3  Thank ILMO-Mrs
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Due to unforseen circumstances, I needed a quality one night stay before leaving Bali to come home to Perth. I was to be picked up next morning by my Balinese fiance, Knowing my desire for first class accomodation, I was taken to Hotel Santika. I had a deluxe room which cost me $165 for the night.Let me tell you something. DON'T MISS THIS PLACE.!. I find it difficult to find adjectives to describe this place. Unsurpassed gardens and pools . Beautiful swimming pool and deck chairs. The beach greets you if you have the strengh to walk the 50 meters, and on the beach a beautiful restaraunt and bar, and delightful music. You can then stagger back to the main hotel area and once again be amazed at the beauty of the place ,complete with restaraunts .I can only describe a small portion of the joy that awaits guests at this hotel. Set inbetween Kuta and Denpassar.makes it very easy to plan further activities. What a place, I repeat. DON'T MISS IT.!!!. What Staff I met were very obliging. By the way, the food was brilliant, what little I had. Douglas A.S.Higginson.

Room Tip: Fitness center and Spa was not attended by me. Not there long enough , but my room was brilliant...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Douglas H
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Very pleasant week had in a premiere room, metres from pool with swim up bar. Its obvious that minimal maintenance is being done now (area around pool is old and tired, broken water features, black mould/slime on all pool tiles/grout), the place is to be closed end of 2013 and will remain that way while they demolish/rebuild to make room for another 300 + rooms. I guess that means no more tranquil gardens, and there are currently 2 pools, will there be 4 or more to cope with the extra bodies?? Breakfast was the best we have had in Bali, if you want something not readily available, just order and it will be made freshly ie pancakes, cappucino, poached eggs etc. Couldnt fault it, but allow extra time for pancakes (order as soon as you arrive in restaurant).
Noisy air-conditioner in room - its old and tired, rooms are 3 star at best but comfortable. Would happily stay there again but not when its a 500 room hotel... apparently all staff are being let go and many with no place yet to go. Lovely staff, so this was sad to hear.

Room Tip: Premiere rooms offer less formal swimming pool, with swim up bar.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I have rated this hotel as POOR - only for one reason - the lack of interest from the General Manager in offering a small compensation for the air conditioner not working ... I will come back to this at the end of my review (see below).

* Overall it was a very good old style Bali hotel, that I would still recommend to people to stay *

* Note to ALL hotel owners - we, your guests from all parts of the world, don't all want large concrete monstrosities like what you have planned for this hotel later in the year. We were told by staff that you are doing major renovations during 2013, going up higher, and making it more modern / contemporary looking. One of the charms of staying in Bali is that people want to feel like they are in Bali - even at the hotel they stay in .... pulling down something that feels like Bali is just silly ! ... but you all continue to put up more and more concrete monstrosities. There is enough hotels in the south of Bali to last for years in tourism growth - and not everyone wants to stay in these concrete towers you continually put up. THINK before you dive in and pull down what people actually want ... it would be far better for you all to spend your money on renovations that work with, and around, what you already have - working WITH the charm of the place you already have, just making it better.

I'm off my soap box now ... so back to my review:

Some friends of ours were staying at the Santika - Tuban for almost 2 weeks, as they have stayed there before and liked it. We decided to come and stay for a night with them, then we all went up to Candidasa the next day.

Check in went smoothly, although our room was not ready - it was 1.30 pm, so no problem - we totally understand the 2pm check in thing. They asked us to come back later to pick up the room key. We dropped our bag off into our friends room, got changed, and hit the pool with our friends.

After a long swim, went and had lunch at the hotel - at the restaurant up the back - close to the beach (Sands Restaurant). The food was very good - everyone’s meals came as ordered, and all were enjoyed.

After lunch, we went and got the room key from reception, went to our friends room, picked up our bag and dropped it off in our room. The aircon came on (fan was blowing) when we put the door key / card in the power slot, but we were only in there for round 5 min, and left to go back to the pool (power goes off again straight away after you take the key / card out of the slot).

The pool we were in was the main large pool, which is BIG, and not too deep. There is another pool in the hotel complex which is smaller, yet has a swim-up bar (love swim-up bars !). We didn't swim in the pool, so not sure what it was like.

We had to go find someone a couple of times while in and round the pool to order drinks, there was some confusion over how to make our friends drinks, they had to ring around the hotel to other staff to find out how to make it (even though it was from the hotel drink menu) but the staff were generally nice and helpful.

Our friends had been travelling around Europe for almost 3 months, so lots to catch up on.
It was dark by the time we left the pool, went back to room, again the aircon came on (fan was blowing), but we only went in to have a quick shower and change quickly to go out for dinner.

Although the aircon was on - and blowing - we were wet to start with, and then had a shower, dressed, and out the door. On refection, I do remember thinking it didn't feel cold - but just being wet and the air moving, didn't think much more about it.

Went out for dinner (Indian restaurant just a few doors down out the front / road side gate - turn left as you leave the hotel ... VERY good food - recommended).

Came back to the room after dinner, exhausted, put the room key in the power slot, and pretty much flopped into bed. During the night we both woke many times, feeling hot and stuffy. I had a few goes at trying to fiddle with the air conditioner remote, things were changing, yet I could not get the compressor to kick in with cold air ... the best I could get was the fan to blow harder - to at least try and get the air in the room to move around more.

After a crappy sweaty sleep, went and had breakfast - which was a very good buffet style set up - if you like your buffet breakfasts, this is a good one.

Went for a long walk after breakfast, came back to the hotel, and went to check out.

This back story was just so you know a bit about our stay, and so you understand why we didn't notice the aircon issue until we were in bed, and falling asleep shortly after.

So ... back to where I started - why I gave this hotel a POOR rating ...
At check out, they asked me to fill in a survey of the hotel. I told them to just note down that the air conditioner was not working - that it was not cold - and that we didn't sleep very well because of it. She said sorry about that, and then just moved onto the rest of the check out procedure without blinking.

So I asked if it was possible to get a small Bintang for me, and a can of Diet Coke for my wife, as compensation for the air conditioner not working ... just to help have a cool off after our walk, pack-up, and check out. She said she would have to check with her manager if this was possible.

So she called her manager, whom I think then must have told her to ask the other reception worker (her senior). He then was on the phone, asking the General Manager if we could get these 2 small basic drinks as compensation for the air conditioner not working.

What was the reply ..."I'm sorry sir, but the General Manger said no, you cannot have a drink as compensation".

First up I was surprised that they had to ask the GM for such a simple thing, something that a middle manager should have been able to deal with, and then to add to my surprise, as it was the GM that they asked, that he said no ... for something that would have cost the hotel possibly $3 all up.

Feeling a little stunned, I said ".... so, ummm, so you can't even give us 2 small cold drinks as compensation for the aircon not working ?" ... again the front desk person said "no, we cannot, the GM said no, but we can offer you a free transfer to the airport". I told him that we were not going to the airport, that we were going to Candidasa, and that the airport transfer would cost them about the same, if not more.

All he kept saying was - "sorry, no complimentary drink, the GM said no".

If you are still reading, what do you think ... a non-working air conditioner, in Bali, stuffy and humid room, do you think that asking for 2 complimentary drinks (that would have cost them around $3) was too much to ask for, to help compensate for a crappy night sleep, and allow them to keep us, their customers, happy ?? ... I really don't think we were asking for much.

Anyway, they have burnt us as customers, we will never go back again.

Again I note - it IS a nice place to stay - our pool time was ok, and the food was ok.
I don't know what it will be like after the concrete brigade comes in and takes away the Bali look and feel that it has now.

In closing, always remember, it's the small things that make for happy guests ...

2  Thank Mr-Sinter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuban
Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
#43 of 251 in Kuta
Bali Garden Beach Resort
Four Points by Sheraton Bali Kuta
The Anvaya Beach Resort Bali

Been to Hotel Santika Premiere Beach Resort Bali? Share your experiences!