“Excellent Restaurant ”

Price range: US$29 - US$61
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cosy restaurant in the center of Bidart with local and seasonal product. Open every evening from 7pm till 11.30Pm homemade cocktails.....
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

We had a superb dinner here. Service was friendly and helpful. The menu is small but has a good variety of meat & fish. My starter of Avocado Brûlée with Sweet Pepper Sorbet and Parmesan Crisp was like nothing I had tasted before - and I mean that in a good way! It was technically, extremely well executed and utterly delicious. Baked Hake with chorizo crust was yummy. There is a very good chef in the kitchen here. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

We booked this restaurant because of the good reviews, and on arrival were seated outside as requested, the setting was lovely, quaint Streets near the sea.

The Menu is quite limited, it is a small restaurant, the staff were too "In your face" for our liking, they spent too much time telling us how good their food was and how well sourced the ingredients were, this may have been useful if it had been one conversation, however, the information was repeated 3 times, I got to feel they were justifying the Over the Top Prices.

We ordered a bottle of Cotes de Provence rose, which was 22 euros, not too bad, one of the cheaper wines on the menu.

The starters wer all the same price, 12 euros
I had an english menu and urdered the Osso itary cheese parcel with smoked duck breast and asparagus, I imagined some form of PARCEL and was dissapointed when I actually recieved 2 croquettes resembling something you may buy frozen from the supermarket, simple cheese in breadcrumbs, this was placed on top of some lettuce and served with 3 tiny thin slivers of duck breast and 3 green asparagus tips, there were also some gobi berries scattered about which didnt add anything to the plate of food, it seemed that they were there to add an exotic type ingredient again in my view justifying the price, it was a very average starter, the cheese was basic and the plate was a simple assembly not requiring a great deal of skill from a chef.

The limited Main courses were all the same price 22 euros, I had Beef which came in 3 small pieces simply grilled, served on top of a few halved small potatoes and with 3 pieces of the same asparagus that were served with my starter, there were a couple of sauce/mouse things, one with tarragon as described on the menu and the other a green mousse, the food was well seasoned and enjoyable, again it was too simple to justify the price, the skill level to prepare this dish was very low, it was NICE food, served simply, but was too expensive.
After the mains, we decided not to have a sweet which were all priced the same at 10 or 12 euros each, I cannot remember which, there were 2 reasons, one was that I felt we were not getting value for money and the other ws that next door a guy had started an angle grinder or something off which we mentioned to the owner/ waiter who shrugged it off statng that they had an ongoing problem with the drains next door????

Overall, If we had paid 25% less for the food I would have had a better experience, I felt we were paying for the previous reviews rather than the worth of the food, Maybe part of the pricing problem is that the courses are the same price for each starter/main/sweet, maybe some ingredients cost more to buy from the suppliers, but the chef time in the prep for what I had could not have added too much to the price, so although we had a decent meal, we were left feeling a bit "ripped off"

3  Thank Craig F
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

Deserving of its 1st ranking on here. Welcoming and warm hosts providing local, honest ingredients and dishes. The lamb was superb, check out the photo. Only problem is a mere 12 tables, so booking even mid week is essential.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

We can't fault this small friendly restaurant. The food was delicious & beautifully presented & the service by both waiters was efficient, friendly & they made excellent recommendations. It was so good we went back the next night & if anything it was even better. Make sure you book as it is always busy & they turned so many people away.

Reviewed 16 September 2016

After a recent change of ownership and total revamp of the interior we didn't quite know what to expect after being regulars there under the previous management - however , we were far from disappointed .
Now the interior is tastefully done in a modern basque style decor with banquettes as well as the usual chair and table set up .
Staff are excellent and attentive without being overbearing (even accurate english menus available - but somehow the food never sounds quite as great in the translation !)
English speaking staff if you're worried about language skills.
Menu basically offers 4 selections for each course - a good all round choice for all tastes- and is changed regularly.
A good selection of wines and cocktails , all reasonably priced .
Food is beautifully presented , and there seems to be an endless variation of shaped plates for each particular dish !
I started with the house version of foie gras with a twist on toasts and accompaniment and my wife had an avocado mousse with pepper ice cream - don't knock it till you've tried it !
Mains were hake with a rissoto made of celeriac , and 12 hour cooked lamb with beetroots and a warm sauce - wonderful ...
We finished with a selection of local cheese and an apricot dish with added flavours of thyme and mangoes !
We had the "cocktail du jour " aperitifs served with olives and local ham , and Irouleguy red wine " Mignaberry" with the meal .
Just a great experience all round .