“A great base for a week of skiing in a lovely area”
Review of Club Le Morgan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Risoul
Club Le Morgan
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Risoul
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The hotel caters mainly for school groups for most of the season but attracts a mix of families, couples and groups at Christmas. Given the main target market luxury cannot be expected, however, the rooms were in good order although basic. The holiday was booked through Rocket Ski and having also stayed at similar properties run by Crystal I would say the rooms here were better, although the bed less comfortable.

Food was very good although the service was slow, which I put down to a lack of experience by new young staff at the start of the season. The staff were always friendly and tried their best. I could not fault their attitude.

The hotel location is excellent, just across the road from the main lifts. The resort location does mean a long transfer - 4 hours by coach, from Grenoble.

Risoul itself is a quiet resort with limited apres ski and limited shopping but is better value that most French resorts and definitely well suited to families. However, Le Morgan doesn't seem very well insulated from sound outside and we were woken by noise from the street on numerous occasions. Inside the hotel there didn't seem to be an issue with noise from other rooms but noise from the neighbouring seemed to travel up the emergency staircase too. Not enough to spoil our stay though.

Paid 10 Euros for the hotel's wifi but it was very unreliable. It was only really usable at times of the day when most people were out so I must assume it struggled with too many users. This was a nuisance for us and we ended up having to also pay for internet on our phones when we'd hoped to be able to switch them off.

The ski area itself is lovely and not as busy as other more well known resorts. Definitely a good family resort rather than an 18-30s type of snow holiday. All said, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and resort to anyone looking for a week of snowsports in a basic but pleasant hotel and a lovely ski area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dean S

Reviewed 6 April 2013

I've been to the Morgan with a school party and also with my son this year. Both times the staff were outstanding, the food was excellent considering the star rating it receives, and the hotel is welcoming with a good bar to sit and drink at for after ski for guests. Situated just 50 m from the slopes and linking with the resort of Vars it is a picturesque place to ski/snowboard offering lots for all standard of skier. We've already booked again for next January and look forward to returning there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank sandy60
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have now been on 4 ski trips with rocket ski and can only recommend them even further after this one.
The accommodation is not the most luxuriant you will stay in and you will probably share it with a school or two, however the rooms are perfectly adequate for a weeks ski holiday and the food is of a high standard, with good helpings and no limit on the amount you eat at the buffet breakfast.
Staff are very friendly without being in your face, rooms have the sheets and bath towels changed twice in the week. The bar is good value with a couple of happy hours.
An extremely good value for money ski holiday.
The important bit: Ski area although not huge (100km ish) has lots of varied runs all coming back to the village,there is a huge amount of off-piste and the Vars side has awesome free ride parks , if you can ski/ride them all you must be a pro rider or skier, cheap lift pass and good value on the slopes.
Lifts are a little slow but the lack of queues makes up for it. Not a popular resort with the English as the transfer is long about 4 hours, but that's good by me.

I've been skiing for nearly 30 years now and have been to most places, my recommendation would be don't come here, leave it to me and my mates to have an awesome time, go some where else.
All the best hope, you enjoy it if you go, if don't enjoy the hotel and the resort, try a painting holiday, skiing is not for you.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank skichappy
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

I have to start by saying I haven't stayed at this hotel but my colleagues and I have frequented the bar area for many hours. Location is perfect, food is plentiful and the staff are welcoming - what more do you want for a budget ski holiday?
Less than a minutes walk to the main ski lifts you would have to be crazy to complain about that. I ordered a steak hache and frites for €8.50 and got half a cow in a baguette - problem was I had only 15 mins to eat it!! It was delicious too. My wife spent an afternoon here to avoid the cold (-14) and had a lovely time. You will not do much better than this for the price and Risoul is a gem of a resort.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Glosss
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed at the Morgan for the last week in January. Sarah and her team couldn't have been more accommodating and the food was of a very high standard. The hotel is clean and staff were friendly, very well situated (about 60-70 meters to the slopes through the tunnel). Will definately be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joe B
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We arrived at the hotel on the Saturday morning and even though we were a little early we were still checked indrivingreat efficiency.

Our time at the hotel has been fantastic. Sarah and her staff at le Morgan are very good at their jobs. They are very friendly and nothing is a problem going above and beyond the call of duty to facilitate a very comfortable stay at the hotel.

Sarah even managed to find a tv for the other driver.

The front of house staff are excellent and more than happy to help.

Sarah has an excellent chef putting together a fantastic menu throughout the week.

Every meal is served with great professionalism and wirh a smile.

There is an excellent bar menu and a breakfast served all day. All meals are very reasonably priced and very tasty after speaking to some of the locals. They really like le morgan and like eating there.

Even the local gendarmerie have their breakfast at the hotel.

It is nice to see that hotels dont have to be a 5 star one to have excellent service

Through the winter I would say that le morgan is the best placed hotel in risoul. It is 40 paces from the entrance to the ski lift and ski pass shop.

The hotel has its own ski equipment hire so no need to leave the hotel to sort your equipment.

In 15 years of driving this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at and I shall be taking my family back there next year.

Thanks to all the team.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank iainsanderson
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We loved this hotel - yes it is very basic but remember it is 2 star. It is clean and warm and all the staff are indcredibly friendly, all English staff, who are mostly graduated students finding themselves working in a resort in France. They are all polite and professional and cannot do enough to help you.
The hotel itself has a bar and an area to relax and unwind after a day on the slopes. The drinks are reasonbly priced to other hotels and bars in the area.
The slopes are literally a 2 minute walk from the front door of this hotel. This was our first ski trip so we cannot compare with other resorts but as first timers we felt there was plenty of slopes/ski lifts and what we liked best abvout it was the lifts and slopes were never busy or crowded.
We had a lovely trip over to Vars and to see the Husky dogs.
The only downside we found, and it is very minor is that this hotel caters for school trips, so it can get very noisy especially if the teachers aren't doing their job, which happened on a couple of occasions for us. However they are in bed early and usually not about if you come back to this hotel for lunch, which we did. As I said this is very minor it wouldn't put us off returning to this resort and hotel.
It can get a little noisy outside in the morning as we often were woken early by refuge collectors or the local road clearing.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BandMa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Risoul
La Bonne Auberge
#1 of 1 in Guillestre
Hotel La Mayt
Hotel La Mayt
#2 of 13 in Vars

Been to Club Le Morgan? Share your experiences!