Pierre & Vacances Premium Residence L'Amara
Dublin
“Luxury”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Monsieur Levis and his staff have a wonderful property here with genuine ski in and out. The apartments are beautifully furnished with lots of extras especially in the kitchen. There is great comfort to be enjoyed from the heated ski lockers (for boots etc) to the outdoor jacuzzi. Really happy with this place and will return.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank skowza

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
La Ciotat, France
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We arrived late at night in a snow-storm and would have loved slightly better road signs for the parking lot. The underground parking lot is very interessting, with images in a slide show on the walls. The wooden chariots are handy but hard to navigate. Staff was absolutely fine the whole trip, one morning we were down at reception to see if the nespresso capsules had arrived and met the manager, nice man, who explained that the capsules had not arrived and had to be re-ordered. The station is way up the mountain and of course everything has to make its way up there so things go missing I guess. So I drank filter coffee for breakfast and had coffee out, some really nice coffees in the afternoon sun!
The room was great, a bit too hot for my liking but we really liked the wood finish everywhere. The residence is new and it was a treat to use the kitchen. Food shopping in Avoriaz is fun in that there are many nice products, but expensive because you are a captive audience. We ordered bread at reception and that went really well, great bread from the Cannelle bakery! Just around the corner, up the hill is a Sherpa so we bought most of our food there. Down in the village we discovered a Carrefour market at the end and they had stuff the Sheerpa didn't have but it wasn't a problem, good wine selection at the sherpa.
We went swimming everyday after skiing and it was very cool to be in a warm pool looking out at snow, fantastic at sunset. Funny enough the kids didn't want this, they sat and watched the telly until we made dinner. They were tired at night, all that mountain air, so the parents had some time alone together, what a change. We tried the saunas too and they were way too hot for us, especially one of them, the closest to the entrance. The hammams were good too, funny, one day we didn't ski in the morning and went early to the pool/hammam - we were the only ones there! We were changed and ready to go in and the director entered. He asked us if we were going to go in the hammam and we said we were and he said to wait just one second. He went in a service door and came out saying he had just put some essential oil in the hammam. The odour was eucalyptus, very very nice!
The station at Avoriaz is really great because there are no cars on the streets, but lots of cars parked and driving around the entrance and the road up from Morzine. Long traffic jam on the way home :(
We enjoyed our stay and maybe there are better hotels around the Alps for the price, still it was very relaxing and the logistics for skiing excellent. A downstairs skiroom so you don't have to haul your skis up and down, reception handles the skilift tickets so you don't have to queue for that. We saw big queues at reception but since we arrived late and left late, we never were really bothered. Every morning when we came down to get our bread order we saw all the staff in full force and the nice director moving around the reception helping people get going. He recognized us and said heloo more than once. A nice bunch of people on reception in general, you are sometimes a little afraid of that in France when your French isn't so good. Oh yeah, that first night, once the kids were in bed, we were tired and at reception we asked about going out for a quick drink - the reception bar shut at 11. They said to check out the Lodge, just a few steps away from the doors of the reception. It wasn't full at all, just a couple of groups relaxing about, good music, so we clambored into a big stuffy couch and stayed until it was just the two of us and they came to say they were closing. Only 5 euros for a nice beer with the snow swirling around outside, cozy in a warm bar, 30 steps from our hotel, not a car in sight. A very nice start to a really simple and nice stay.
Like some of the others we found some stuff that wasn't great - leaky hallways, the architect didn't design the flow of meltwater well, so your balcony takes drips from above. We had to ask for towels (and got them no problem). You can tell they just delivered the residence in some places, in others things are cool, the whole swimming area is really well done. Anyway, I'd recommend the residence to people who come to ski at Avoriaz, the apartments are classy and new, there's underground parking and it's easy to deal with skis and getting on the slopes.

Room Tip: We had a view of the mountains over the bunny slope, looking south-west.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Blake V
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We're just back from a week skiing in Avoriaz and staying at the L'Amara Apartments. We stayed at Prana situated right opposite the Reception building. We arrived at around 7.00pm and the Reception area was chaotic with so many people trying to check in and no apparent organisation evidenced by a lack of coherent queueing system. This lead to obvious frustration amongst many guests keen to check in after their travels.
It took me about twenty minutes to reach the desk and during this time I observed many guests complaining about a variety of services. This included a man who said that he had checked in earlier that day and had been to Reception seven times asking for bed linen which was absent from his apartment, he refused to be told by the Receptionist that they would be delivered to his room as this had been promised every time before ! He insisted that they be brought to him there and said that he would prevent any one else being served until this was done, he got his way and the sheets appeared ! This did not give me a good first impression, but I had no idea what was to follow.
My check in was straightforward and we made our way to the Apartment, on arrival we found the door open and three members of staff (we presumed !) standing in the living area. They said that they were finishing off preparing the room and disappeared upstairs to the bedrooms. They were making the beds but didn't have any duvet covers for the single beds ! They left after about 20 minutes. I then opened the fridge and found it filled with the leftover food of, presumably the last residents, not pleasant and a sign that the Apartment had not been fully cleaned. On further inspection it also lacked the expected equipment including no kettle, measuring jug, any saucepans or instructions on how to operate the hob which was 'high tech' and complicated. In addition, the safe couldn't be locked. It also lacked any toilet rolls, tea towels, tissues (empty dispensers) and on closer inspection any cleaning that had been done was superficial at best.
When I complained about these matters at Reception I was politely told that they would be attended to, however, this didn't happen and as others quoted found, after two days of this repeated response I had to insist that the missing items were brought to me at Reception, this worked but is not how it should be in a 'premium residence'. During these visits to reception I witnessed other guests with similar complaints of lack of cleaning and equipment - a pattern was emerging.

Having struggled to get over these problems which spoiled our stay at L'Amara there were positives about this property ! The Apartments are well designed and built. They are in a great location with true ski in and out. The ski locker rooms are well positioned with heated lockers with plenty of space. The leisure facilities are impressive.

However, it is my view that it is that the management systems and poor 'back of house' staffing simply are not up to providing a premium five star service, which the buildings clearly were designed for and the pricing structure set at. If they cannot organise to clean and prepare rooms for guests arriving in the evening and as part of this to check and restock kitchen equipment then they will not get repeat business and this poor reputation will spread.

The most disappointing aspect for me was the inability to respond to and resolve the complaints quickly. The Reception staff were all polite and seemingly sympathetic but this only goes so far when they, or more than likely management, cannot deliver any effective action to promptly resolve the issues for their guests.

6 Thank Beady63
Borne
Reviewed 2 January 2013

we arrived at on December 22 19.30 and the rooms were not ready. It was a chaos and many people were already angry. They told me to wait 20 minutes but it took until 23.30 until I had to become very angry and then they gave me a room. ( while letting the other people waiting) When I entered the room another family was already sleeping there and they told me we were the THIRD group entering their apartment while they were sleeping. Also when going to that occupied apartment and going back, we got stuck in the elevator TWO times as the doors would not open at all (other people also complained about that) and I had to enforce the doors with my bare hands to escape from this scary elevator. Then I got upset and went behind the counter or the reception, bypassing the long queues of angry people. The personell tried to stop me put I forced my self into the management office. I insisted a room and had to use a loud voice.. then the manager became afraid and gave me a room.. It’s so bad that customers have to use oral violence to get the room they paid for. But other people who were "polite" were sent to other apartments (below the standard they paid for) including people with a child in a wheelchair!. Then when I got the apparent, many items were missing: like there were only 3 forks (and 12 knives!) for 6 persons. but I did not take the effort to fix this. However towels and toilet paper were missing so I had to go back to the reception and asked for those.. they told me that they would bring it but I did not trust their service anymore ( they promised me too much already and did not do it) so I insisted they gave me the towels and toilet paper here and now. Only after I refused to go away then they gave it to me (after I had to walk together with the employee to the basement where it was stored). The personnel never apologized for their bad service.
So, when leaving, I did not want to go to this humiliating reception anymore and I just left with the keys in my room and drove home. I will never go back to Pierre et vacancies. The accommodation was nice, but the organization and is terrible, way below the level of a Mc Donalds! (at least there you get what you order.. in time!) and the elevators are really scary...brrr!! and I paid a lot a lot of money for this premium apartment!!

Room Tip: if you want yoru room, you have to become angry.. els you wait 7 hours..
6 Thank Bram N
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We're just back from a week in Avoriaz at P&V Amara over the Christmas holidays.
As all P&V, this is a self catering apartment. We chose a 2 bedroom apartment (spacious with 2 bathrooms and 2 separate toilets): The kitchen is small with a dishwasher, a big fridge(small freezer compartment) and an oven (but we never figured out how it worked).
The Amara complex is on the outskirts of Avoriaz so it's a bit of a walk to go "downtown", especially when carrying food and drinks ( though Carrefour delivers for 11 euros).
It is a ski in /ski out resort but our kids had their meeting point at the plateau and it was a 5 min walk to get there ( there is a "bus" that picks up kids with an ESF instructor every morning= convenient when we were too lazy to take them).
There are 2 restaurants right in the complex but are pretty pricey. The Skiset (where we got our skis) is very conveniently situated ( at the bottom of our apartment building= dharma).
The locker rooms are heated and easily accessed.
The fitness room and pool are well tended and there is a Sauna/hammam/spa right on site.
The garage is right under the building which makes it easy to schlep the luggage.
We had beautiful views on the valley of Morzine and were treated to many beautiful sunsets.
On the down side:
-not enough elevators especially on saturday when departing and arriving people + housekeepers all want to use them. And the stairs are not protected so are either windy or covered with snow.
- our rooms were overheated (ended up opening the windows, but beware of snow falling in!)
We were told other buildings didn't have enough heating...
-the downstairs bar closes at 10pm.
-there's an overall problem with plumbing: the corridors were wet
-the trash needs to be taken outside
Overall, we enjoyed our ski trip (Les Portes du soleil are amazing) and came back in the evening to a large (though expensive ) apartment...

Room Tip: I had reserved my skis, skipass and ESF lessons. We were on the slopes less than 1h30min after arriv...
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We are regular visitors to Avoriaz for ski holidays and have stayed in many apartments.These are the nicest most spacious ones yet with great bathrooms and plenty of storage space .We had a 2 bedroomed apartment (area)with 1 double room/ensuite,twin room,separate toilet/shower/bath ,nespresso machine.
L'Amara is several buildings (not all finished)around a central reception block with pool/sauna area and spa.pool area is great with 3 saunas and 2 steam rooms.pool water a bit cold for me!
Jacuzzi is accessed via the spa after paying 20euros a head so didn't bother
Outdoor area is a building site-rubble,nails.wood everywhere now the snow is melting.to get out of ski rooms you have to clamber over this mess to the slopes.
Bar in reception expensive.
Good bakery delivery service.
Need to climb uphill to main resort,nearest shops but not far.
If arriving at main resort arrivals area walk back down the road and through car park or get transport rather than trek down a steep hill with luggage to get to L'Amara.
Reception staff pleasant and helpful-can book restaurants for you.
Our fav restaurants are Chez Flo(lunch) and les fontaines blanche.
Overall great spot but needs finishing touches outside!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank SingaporeMario
Surrey
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a new residence and it does show in some places, but don't let this put you off!
We had an apartment that slept 10 and very nice it was too.
There was plenty of space and the apartment was light and airy with fantastic views down to Morzine.
Very glad of the beds being made when we arrived. Bedrooms were a bit hot at night. Comfy big beds.
There was one full en-suite bathroom, two en-suites with shower and sink, a separate bathroom and a separate WC upstairs. The full en-suite had a bit of a whiff. Showers were powerful with hot water all the time.
Some of the wardrobe doors didn't slide open or close, but a minor issue.
Found the pool was on the chilly side and not very well supervised. Some chairs found their way into the pool care of some unattended boys. One steam room wasn't working.
We got the heaters in our spacious locker working on the second to last day. Locker room could do with more benches.
Ski shop needed more people to help out and more child snowboards for rental. Otherwise the staff were helpful and friendly.
As he snow melted you could start to see the building debris outside. Having said that there were men clearing the areas as quickly as they could.
Liked the bar area, the staff were friendly.
Would go back again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank p1ngs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avoriaz
Hotel des Dromonts
Hotel Les Grands Montets
Hotel Les Grands Montets
#18 of 73 in Chamonix
Pierre & Vacances Residence Atria-Crozats

Been to Pierre & Vacances Premium Residence L'Amara? Share your experiences!