“Our second year back. Just as great but our trip spoiled by.....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Des Deux Domaines
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
LONDON
“Our second year back. Just as great but our trip spoiled by.....”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Fantastic trip back to the same hotel as last year which i rated 10/10 and good to see Rachel the manager still there. Efficient and smooth service. Rooms elegant. But our trip was marred by a constant recurring bug in our 2yr old. A few other young ones had a bug too. Obviously the hotel cant control sickness bugs etc especially as they had 22 children in the nursery and from all corners of the UK so of course if there is illness its flown in!!

Children are put in quarantine for the day plus the next day (quite rightly) so you cant take them to nursery. But the bug was persistent so it finished off our 7 day holiday meaning we only went skiing 3 days total.

So spending a lot of time at the hotel you get to see a bit behind the scenes. Everyone is really really busy and they have tough rules for the team in place. Work hard and play hard.

Went to the swimming pool. A bit chilly but not that bad. Jacussi was great. In the evening the food was interesting and fun. Dont expect "Chips with everything" cooking style. If you can be a bit adventurous then you will be rewarded. They have to strike a balance of volume catering and exotic food. But they seem to have some great dishes. I am certain if you dont like something you can change it. Bottom line is I eat too much anyway at lunchtime and so the evening meal can blow you out especially if you go for the cheese board at the end.

Transfers were worse than last year. The Tritan snow jet hitting fog and delays on the way home made the trip worse but its not the hotels fault is it?

Many thanks to Rachel who called off our coach at 12 noon and set it for 2pm giving us 2 extra hours in resort for lunch rather than a cold bench at Chambrey airport. Good call !

Special shout out to James in childcare, Paul on the pistes, Linda who sat outside my room, Dom the head nanny, and of course Rachel who I have great respect for.

I think even with our illness issues the trip was great. What I also think is that if she had been ill in any other resort or hotel / chalet we would have been stuffed. So there is your answer.

Oh and snow conditions were hot and icy turning mostly to slush and mud....

Room Tip: I stayed in 803 again. But room 401 looks fabby. I went into a few empty rooms on checkout day to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 365drills

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Bristol (UK)
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Absolutely fantastic

Childcare team en masse were great. ESF ski school started at the door on the 3rd floor. Lunches were supervised and tea was supervised skillfully and we were impressed by the fact that vegetables were the order of the day. I had to wrestle my children out of Cocoa and mini Cocoa club. The evening childcare on the floor meant there were 3 staff checking each floor. They were great with the kids (mine are scared of the dark so having left the light on, I took the keycard out of the slot - genius - they sorted it without even coming down to get us)
The Cocoa plus for 8+ was very popular.

There were a few niggles with the afternoon childcare that I noted but to be fair if as parents you're told to leave outdoor shoes and clothes for your kids then you might have to accept that these "youngsters" are cheesed off when she was working out how she was going to take 6 kids out for snowclub when one had slippers and the other no coat.

Issues (had to think hard)
Yes the food quantity was a bit hit and miss but generally fairly good, and they did like to take the wine off you fairly rapidly. Rooms on floors 5 - 9 had to use 2 seperate lifts which depending on whether you were enjoying your holiday was amusingly odd through to very irritating. No doubt towels are very small. €5 for us to have a second keycard was also mildly odd.

Back to the positives people who looked after us.
Hotel manager (Rachel) and deputy manager (Paul) couldnt do enough for us even when our little one was poorly.
Liann and her childcare team were full of fun for our children.
Paul and Mike (front of house) were extremely entertaining and James and the bar team were also great.
Chambery airport was a farce (closed both times with fog as usual) and not Esprit fault - and both Paul and Mike stood up and took charge of the issues. When we travelled with Crystal you could watch the staff sprinting to hide.
Apology but never the saw the cleaning team but it was always very clean and tidied- a very important role that goes un-noticed when its done well.

Honestly, other than the cheesed off young lady mentioned above we found all the staff full of joie de vivre.

Little things that just helped us feel a bit better was Dominic coming around on Sunday night at 9pm to find us and tell us what to do with my children first thing the following morning. Paul found the 3 families that couldnt get their ski's on the Sunday and got the shop to open by 8am so that we didnt miss ESF ski school at 8:45.

I think that the young age of the team was great for our kids and may have knocked a few years off us for that seven days.

If you ever feel that Esprit wasnt up to scratch - try Crystal childcare for a couple of years - you'll be desperate to use Esprit again (It was a Crystal nanny who suggested we go with Esprit this year)

Absolutely marvellous and looking forward to next year. Thank you to every single person in that hotel.

Room Tip: Floor 4 means you have access to the lifts from floor 0 to 4 and the seperate lift from 4 to 9.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank hearditall
surrey
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Having stayed with Esprit in Courcheval 1850 last year, we were expecting great things from a half term break at their flagship hotel in Belle Plagne. In the main the whole experience met our expectations, but it was let down by a few things.

The flight, the transfer from Geneva and the arrival at the hotel all went smoothly and the hotel is very well positioned on the slopes. It is a large hotel, so there is a lot of lift travel to get from the various floors down to breakfast then back up to the boot room. Once you find your way around it is straightforward though. The boot room is excellent and you can ski straight out down to the main lifts very easily. Getting each of my 3 kids ready for the morning's lesson was also straightforward and well organised with the snow rangers. The small group sizes and the fact that the ESF instructors just teach kids from the hotel makes a marked difference to their enjoyment of the lessons, and is a critical reason why we choose Esprit.

Our room on the 7th floor was excellent, and apart from the rather petite bath towels, it was a generally a very good standard. The staff were all very helpful, particularly the hotel manager, but some of them lacked the joie de vivre you normally get with Esprit. The spa and pool were also very good, despit the pool being a little too cold for comfort in the early days of the trip.

The food though was very hit and miss. Some of the kid's meals were not particularly inspiring and in the evenings we sometimes had to wait far too long for pre-ordered food to arrive, which when it did sometimes failed to hit the mark. This was the only disappointment, and given the cost of staying out there during half term I would have hoped for better. We had glorious skiing conditions during our week so that tempered some of the niggles about the hotel. I wonder how we would have felt if the snow hadn't been quite so good?

Room Tip: 3rd floor will be noisy as that is where the boot room is located
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jpbSurrey
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Our first Esprit holiday and the first time we have taken our 4 kids (9,6,4,2) skiing. I cannot recommend the hotel and the Esprit service highly enough. The service in the hotel was faultless - the Hotel Manager Rachel and the Duty Supervisor Francesca were both endlessly cheerful and helpful, often going above and beyond what had been asked of them. The service in the restaurant and bar was great - cheerful, chatty, enthusiastic and prompt. Of particular note was the care provided by the girls in the nursery. Our 4 year old is unusually sensitive and we really felt that the nursery staff nurtured our children rather than just looked after them until we got back. Linda and Georgie deserve a special mention. One day when our 2 year old totally smothered her top in banana Georgie simply offered to wash it and return it the next day - great service. Linda spent ages writing a very special story with our 4 year old and every day looked genuinely delighted to see the girls. They really made our holiday. The skiing from the hotel was great - ideal for beginners and intermediates. Getting the boys off for lessons was stress free and the snow rangers were kind, thoughtful and patient. I'd recommend the piste picnics the hotel will prepare for you if you want to maximise your time on the slopes and not stop for lunch. Our kids all loved the pool - we found it pretty cold but the kids didn't seem to notice that. The jacuzzi, steam room and sauna etc were all great. Food was very good - a great menu every day. The children's food was also great - a good balance of stuff children like and will realistically eat but also pretty healthy, plenty of veg and it all looked homemade which was good to see. The hotel has a relaxed vibe - everyone wanders about in varying degrees of thermals/bath robes. We were in the supersuite which was comically enormous (3 rooms, 2 bathrooms, a wet room) - the kind of the space usually only found in hotels in the US where space isn't such a premium. Wierdly it worked out very marginally cheaper than 2 interconnecting rooms (presumably because of the odd way room supplements apply with lots of kids). A couple of tips - it was very very cold when we were there (minus 12) - balaclavas required! Also Chambery airport is a must - Esprit have their own play room there - we were delayed due to the snow in the UK and it was a godsend. In summary I would say that Esprit are certainly not the cheapest option on the market but they have really thought of everything. If you have young children and want to go skiing, actually have a bit of a holiday yourself and not spend the whole time lugging stuff around and stressing about whether everyone's happy then here's your answer. Every penny well spent and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: 408 if you are a big family
3 Thank Liz C
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I can't understand any bad reviews from this hotel. Everthing was excellent from the childcare to the relaxing jacuzzi and leisure facilities. The skiing was the best I've had, of course that was partly due to the weather! The food may not be up to a top restaurant but was tasty and well presented, the croissants at breakfast would be hard to beat! My 9 & 6 year old got on very well with the hotel organized lessons and loved the cocoa club / cocoa club plus. The staff were also very flexible with childcare arrangements. I think what made the holiday complete were the many enthusiastic staff who couldn't do enough to help.

Room Tip: One with a hot tub on the balcony
3 Thank hjrudd
Lancs
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just back from a fab holiday!! We've stopped in various places in Les Arcs and Aime la Plange but this place will take some beating. The location is perfect for exploring la Plange and also not too far from the link with les Arcs. The snow this year was fantastic which I think helped. We travelled with 6 in our party including my 10 year old son.
Check in was great. Bags taken straight to our rooms on the 7th floor and plenty of people on hand to answer our questions. The staff are mainly young but in the main seemed to know what they were doing and were more than helpful. Rooms were large, clean and tidy but could have done with tea/coffee making facilities.
Child care were great and my 10 year old son loved the cocoa club+. He was kept busy and was taken out ice skating, 10pin bowling and bum boarding. He certainly was in no rush to come back to his room at 10pm!
Food was mainly good. Service was fast and they were happy to change a meal choice if it was not to taste. Food could be a little warmer at times but on the whole we were happy with what we were eating. Plenty of wine also. My son also was happy to clear his plate at children's high tea. The bar was expensive. 6 bottled beers cost 30 euro's so we got some at the nearby Spar ;-)
Pool was clean. Sanua/steam rooms were fine. One outside hot tub was out of order but one was working fine.
Yes its a noisy family kid friendly place and we WILL be returning...... ps- if you are going soon the snow is ace but we had to endure skiing in -23.... Wrap up.

Room Tip: Boot room is on floor 3.
3 Thank BObLancs
bristol
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the first time in January this year, it was ok but I definitely wouldn't return.
The childcare wasn't up to scratch. My daughter doesn't go into nursery very easily at home so I was expecting a few tears. I wasn't expecting having to leave her crying on the floor whilst not one member of staff gave her a cuddle. I saw one little girl being entertained by one of the bar staff by the bar and being passed around various different people. Her Mum was least impressed! I also happened to bump into my daughter one day whilst in reception as she was going into the nursery to get ready for dinner. Instead of trying to distract her and take her to get her outdoor clothes off they left her with me and went back to the nursery. I then had to go in and get her ready myself where I was also told that I could take her down to dinner (thought that was the nannys job?) and there were more tears when I had to leave. If she had been distracted and taken back to the nursery straight away that would have avoided that problem!
Not all the childcare staff were terrible, just a minority and unfortunately it was the ones looking after the babies.
My 4 year old son on the other hand had a brilliant time and had loads of fun with his group. He was off skiing in the afternoons although he didn't go the last couple of days because he was so tired. I would definitely wait a couple of years before taking him again.

The food was ok if you like a lot of fuss and if you like duck. Me and my friend had to talk to the chef everyday to get him to cook us something different! The chefs night off was probably the only night I had a decent meal.

We didn't use the babysitting service as i'm not too keen on the idea of leaving my kids in a place they aren't used to all by themselves. So I can't comment on that.

My partner put in a formal complaint for being given the run around. As my son didn't ski for the last two days his skis and boots got lost somehow. We were told they were in the shed where the little ones learn to ski, waked up there to find it locked. My partner was told they were in the boot room, he checked and they weren't there. He was then told they should be by the door on floor 9, still not there. Eventually they were found on floor 9 with a different child's name on.

One more negative before I move on to the positives! I was drinking my coffee in reception one morning and found a plaster floating in it. I was extremely disgusted by this and as there was nobody on reception (as usual during the day) there was nobody to complain to.

Ok, now for the positives:

Most of the staff were helpful and tried their best to help, however big or small the problem. Especially Susie!

The rooms and views were amazing. As I don't ski I spent a lot of time on the balcony admiring the view and reading my book!

The pool, hot tubs and saunas were lovely.

In my opinion this is a place for people to dump their kids and not see them for 7 days and I'm not that sort of Mum so I wasn't keen. I hated the fact that I couldn't eat with my kids and would have preferred it if there was that option. They need to rethink their menus and improve the childcare. I will not be returning.

8 Thank natalie09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Carlina
Hotel Belle Plagne
Hotel Belle Plagne
#3 of 4 in Belle Plagne
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Mont Soleil
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le M...
#4 of 26 in Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Le Cocoon
Hotel Le Cocoon
#9 of 26 in Macot-la-Plagne
Belambra Clubs Le Terra Nova
Belambra Clubs Le Terra Nova
#11 of 26 in Macot-la-Plagne

Been to Hotel Des Deux Domaines? Share your experiences!