“Nothing now will compare” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Des Deux Domaines

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Des Deux Domaines
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nothing now will compare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

The hotel 'paradiski' rooms were excellent and very clean and tastefully decorated. The adult only evening meals were great and knowing the children were having a fantastic time in the Cocoa Club every evening or being listened to by the kids patrol on each floor made the food taste even better. My 2 boys 10yrs & 8yrs had the time of their lives in the Maxi's Club the staff were all really fun and friendly and the activities were challenging and varied. I would really recommend this to anyone who likes walking and biking the views were stunning. The hotel was comfortable, friendly and approachable. The Alps in the summer were gorgeous and the kids were happy. If I had to say one negative thing it would be that the hot tubs both indoor and outdoor didn't work the whole week we were there which would have been nice for aching muscles. The pool was great though if not a little too warm. I'm sure we'll return in the future.

Room Tip: The room we had was large with 2 bathrooms and 2 toilets on the corner so a big balcony room 101
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Sherbertpip_68

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely beautiful: spacious, modern, highly appointed rooms offering amazing value for money. Childcare is beyond excellent and the staff were all very very friendly and approachable. The Only gripes were that the pool heating system was broken until our last day making the pool pretty much unusable, the hot tubs didn't work at all all week, and information on activities available for families locally was not good although we managed to find things out for ourselves using the free wi-fi. I expect this was down to the fact it was the 1st week of season although this is not a good excuse. Overall however we had a great holiday and will definitely return.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Browncowcello
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Last year I gave this hotel a fantastic review and therefore (apart from the price) didn't think twice about re-booking it again for this year.

Top line is that I am glad I did re-book however, after our last experience, I was more aware of things that weren't quite up to scratch (which I've noted below).

But let's start off with 'STRONG POINTS' to note:-

STAFF - all staff were very friendly, professional and confident so happy about that. Special thanks go out to Rachel who is still a very good strong Hotel Manager and welcomes everyone like it's her own home which is lovely so top marks go to her again this year.
The Baby-listening Girls were very good too; especially Scottish Lisa who my 2 girls fell in love with.
The Snow-Rangers were always there to entertain the kids before ski-school; Liverpudlian Chris was great.
ROOMS - I mentioned it last year but it's great to be able to shut your door and not hear anybody else in the other rooms - bliss! The views are amazing too.

Now the 'NOT SO GOOD' points:-

CLEANLINESS - the minute I entered our room I could tell that it wasn't that clean. I felt a lot of corners had been cut and it all felt a bit rushed. The standard of daily house-keeping was also poor.
All the cutlery, glasses, plates etc were not completely clean at breakfast and dinner and this worried me. We constantly had to keep asking for clean replacements.
I was also not convinced about the chemical levels in the pool; it looked very murky and again, the overall feeling of cleanliness was not as high as I would have liked in an area where loads of kids are playing.
Near the end of the holiday both my daughter and I fell ill with a dogdy tummy bug and it wiped us out for half a day. We both felt really terrible and it left us very weak (not good for a hard day of ski-ing!) We mentioned it to Rachel and she confirmed that a few people in the hotel had fallen very ill with Gastroenteritis !!!!! and a Doctor had to be called. It doesn't take much to realise that the standard of cleanliness probably had a lot to do with this. So that's a real shame.
FOOD / WINE - this year's chef was not very impressive. The quality of produce at breakfast was really poor (especially the really cheap and nasty sausages) and the variation of last year had disappeared. The evening meals were far too rich for me and left me feeling very bloated and queasy most nights. The kids meal were only average - lilttle more.
Wine - well, I know it's free and plentiful but of course you pay for it in the price of your holiday therefore I would have expected the standard to be a little higher than the "Vin d'Plonk" that was on offer - I tried both whites and each were terrible and gave me an instant headache and the Merlot was only just about passable (for a couple of sips - not much more).

So it saddens me to say that we won't be returning. As much as we love the hotel, the location and the facilities it's simply too much money to pay not to have everything top notch :(

Room Tip: 3rd floor is best for easy access to Boot Room
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lissybubs
EspritHolidays, Manager at Hotel Des Deux Domaines, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
We are sorry to learn that this reviewer’s experience this time at the Deux Domaines did not live up to their expectations overall, notwithstanding the welcome compliments made about our staff there.

We have discussed the issues raised here with the hotel manager who reports that the vast majority of our guests staying in the same week were highly satisfied with the standards of cleanliness in the hotel, as endorsed by the feedback forms completed at the end of their stay.

The pool and hot tubs are tested three times per day and our spa assistant follows a systematic schedule to clean all the communal areas here every single day.

We refute the implication that any stomach bug experienced would have been connected to hygiene standards at the hotel. There was no outbreak of gastroentiritis, just one isolated case of sickness which required a doctor to be called.

Chalet Hotel Deux Domaines continues to attract our highest volume of repeat bookings year after year from families who value its unbeatable combination of modern, high quality family accommodation, indoor leisure facilities, in-house dedicated child care services and enviable location in one of the most family-friendly ski resorts in the French Alps.
Chelmsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We (two adults and two children 6 and 8`0 have just returned from an excellent week at this very well run hotel. It is part of a large group of chalet hotels that cater for kids of all ages. The staff can’t do enough for you and they take care of just about everything leaving you to make the most of your time either with or without your children.

They also have a new head chef who has been drafted in after a short run of poor reviews at the start of the season. Our fear that the food would not be up to scratch was pleasantly quenched on our first night. The evening meals were excellent quality and the service was timely.

As for the skiing it was first class, if you get time try the Olympic bob slay, well worth the 100 Euros for a minute of sheer terror. If we have to make one negative comment it would be the inadequate size of the towels and rather small lobby that can get quite crowded in the evenings. We will be returning again.

Room Tip: request any room but 103 which has a limited view.
2 Thank BanksieChelmsford
Southampton, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was our first trip with Esprit and this hotel so we didn't have any preconceived expectations. That being said we had a brilliant time. Our room (Belle Plange Room, sleeps 3) was spacious with a gorgeous view of the mountains. A separate toilet is always useful when staying with kids and the over bath shower was superb. Facilities wise the swimming pool, hot tubs, adult only sauna/steam room etc was all fabulous. The pool was quite warm so kids could mess around for ages without getting cold. All the public areas were kept impeccably clean.

The food was delicious and good, but not amazing, with a nice choice of wines included with your meal.

Childcare you just cannot fault. The area allowed for the snow club, 3-4s and Nursery is massive and very light. I saw plenty of very happy babies and toddlers going out for snow play and walks all looking very content. What was particularly good was that the children's ski lessons, not only have a ski instructor but also an esprit Ski Ranger, who was one of the childcare team and that meant that you felt completely reassured that should your child have a more mundane issue, like a glove problem or not understanding quite what the instructor said, because they have not yet caught onto the accent, there was a familiar face that they knew. It also meant that although not teaching, the ski ranger could support the group as a whole and as a parent I like having an extra pair of eyes at the back of the group to keep an eye on my rather over confident and cheeky child, which frees the instructor up to concentrate on the teaching. I met parents using other companies on the slopes whose children were not enjoying their lessons as they were the only English speaking child in the group of 12.

I agree with other people who praise the Hotel Manager, Rachel. She is very hands on and a real asset to the hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel? Most definitely. A well run and efficient hotel with a superb childcare and a system that seemed to work like a well oiled machine. My only reduced marks on sleep quality was because I was so hot at night, even though reception turned our room temperature down.

Like others many of the guests and children seemed to suffer from a stomach bug that was brought in from home. I felt the team handle these things well and unfortunately it is a common problem where lots of children mix together. My only regret was that I didn't use the hand gel in the dining room before eating, as although as adults we have good hygiene standards, you can catch those bugs just from touching door handles and lift buttons before dinner. Still at least I only got sick just after I had handed back the rental skis!!

Hopefully we will be back again!

Room Tip: The boot room is on level 3 so if you are on that floor you wont have to keep going up and down, but...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We have now spent 4 years going to Deux Domaines with Esprit, and have enjoyed each trip. There are always going to be grumbles in a big hotel like this, but we have usually found the staff to be excellent and helpful. This year however things were a step up in standard which, coupled with the awesome snow, made for a great holiday.
The staff this year were helpful and friendly. An example of this was when we couldn't get to the outdoor sauna because of some icing up of the lock; one of the team not only sorted it out, but then had the initiative put up a sign to tell people what to do in future. The food was reputedly poor early in the season, but we had a change in chef and the food was very good. The rooms are spacious and kept very clean. The children are well looked after, and overall we all left having enjoyed a fabulous break.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John E
LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Fantastic trip back to the same hotel as last year which i rated 10/10 and good to see Rachel the manager still there. Efficient and smooth service. Rooms elegant. But our trip was marred by a constant recurring bug in our 2yr old. A few other young ones had a bug too. Obviously the hotel cant control sickness bugs etc especially as they had 22 children in the nursery and from all corners of the UK so of course if there is illness its flown in!!

Children are put in quarantine for the day plus the next day (quite rightly) so you cant take them to nursery. But the bug was persistent so it finished off our 7 day holiday meaning we only went skiing 3 days total.

So spending a lot of time at the hotel you get to see a bit behind the scenes. Everyone is really really busy and they have tough rules for the team in place. Work hard and play hard.

Went to the swimming pool. A bit chilly but not that bad. Jacussi was great. In the evening the food was interesting and fun. Dont expect "Chips with everything" cooking style. If you can be a bit adventurous then you will be rewarded. They have to strike a balance of volume catering and exotic food. But they seem to have some great dishes. I am certain if you dont like something you can change it. Bottom line is I eat too much anyway at lunchtime and so the evening meal can blow you out especially if you go for the cheese board at the end.

Transfers were worse than last year. The Tritan snow jet hitting fog and delays on the way home made the trip worse but its not the hotels fault is it?

Many thanks to Rachel who called off our coach at 12 noon and set it for 2pm giving us 2 extra hours in resort for lunch rather than a cold bench at Chambrey airport. Good call !

Special shout out to James in childcare, Paul on the pistes, Linda who sat outside my room, Dom the head nanny, and of course Rachel who I have great respect for.

I think even with our illness issues the trip was great. What I also think is that if she had been ill in any other resort or hotel / chalet we would have been stuffed. So there is your answer.

Oh and snow conditions were hot and icy turning mostly to slush and mud....

Room Tip: I stayed in 803 again. But room 401 looks fabby. I went into a few empty rooms on checkout day to...
1 Thank 365drills
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Carlina
Hotel Le Cocoon
Hotel Le Cocoon
#9 of 27 in Macot-la-Plagne
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Mont Soleil
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le M...
#3 of 27 in Macot-la-Plagne
Belambra Clubs Le Terra Nova
Belambra Clubs Le Terra Nova
#12 of 27 in Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Belle Plagne
Hotel Belle Plagne
#3 of 4 in Belle Plagne

Been to Hotel Des Deux Domaines? Share your experiences!