“6th - 13th January 2013”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macot-la-Plagne
Hotel Des Deux Domaines
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Macot-la-Plagne
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We returned to the hotel this year after a great holiday there in January 2012. This time, our youngest daughter was about to get her first taste of skiing in Spritelets.
Flight and Transfer were good and good organisation too with the luggage when we arrived.
We were in Paradiski Suite 309 - nice, clean, bright and roomy !
I had called the hotel 3 times starting early December to arrange with the Hotel Manager that we wanted private babysitting in our room every night, as the baby listening service does not suit our 2 young children (it worked great for us in 2012 and was arranged before we arrived at the hotel). However, this year, having been told over the phone by the Manager that it would be all sorted when we arrived, it wasn't. The hotel childcare staff knew nothing about it and it was then a mad panic to arrange something at short notice for the first night. Then on the second tea time, we asked 'who was sitting tonight' to which we received a reply 'Oh I've forgotten about that - I'll try and sort something now' ..... not a great start really !!
Spritelets was OK for our daughter, and even though Esprit say that its better to teach the young ones in the afternoon when it's warmer, I tend to disagree, as anyone with a 3 year old knows, they have far more energy in the mornings and are a little more tired in the afternoons. Maybe this is something that Esprit should bear in mind as we ended up paying for additional private lessons earlier in the days to keep our daughter interested and enjoy the skiing experience instead of being shattered and overtired during the lessons.
Food was good - although I think that the hotel must have bought a huge consignment of carrots !!
Not so keen this year on the wine being removed from the tables, whether you'd finished the bottle or not .......... this was the general rule of thought among all the guests and I hope that this policy gets changed as it's not what you would expect from a 'top rated hotel'
The pool was much colder this year - especially when taking young children in. Lats year it was very pleasantly warm, but it's been turned down a few degrees !!
My main concern, and I won't mention an actual name, was High Tea. Thankfully our daughter was a little clingy and we ended up going into high tea with her (when it actually wasn;t encouraged by the childcare staff). Anyway, there was one childcare staff controlling each table with approx 6/7 kids. On one occasion, I was stood by the table as the 3 year olds were served a dish of spaghetti bolognese. My daughter immediately asked if I would cut the spaghetti up for her so she could eat it easily with her spoon. (This you would expect with 3 year olds) - however, then 3 of the other children asked me the same, so I cut theirs up too. I could not reach the other childrens meals as they were all in a booth. The childcare girl just sat there, as if she were in another world. Had I not been there, I honestly don't think she'd have lifted a finger and the children simply would not have eaten ..... I was very disappointed and glad that I had been there. I then went into every high tea for the rest of the week to make sure that my child actually ate something.
Overall, not as good as 2012. Conditions were excellent, but I think that it clearly shows that although it is an exceptionally nice modern hotel, it all is dependent on what staff are there.
Commendations - Michaela / Megan / Rachel in Childcare .... Jessica the Bar Manager and Cayley the Assistant Hotel Manager.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Martin A
EspritHolidays, Manager at Hotel Des Deux Domaines, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

We regret that the arrangements that this reviewer made directly with our team in the Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines, rather than via our UK office, were seemingly not in place upon their arrival. Ordinarily such arrangements are requested via our Reservations team so that they can be passed on to the resort just prior to travel to ensure that they are complied with.
As is stated in our brochure description of the Spritelets classes, we run these in the afternoons as we have found it to be generally warmer, and the nursery slopes much quieter.
The comments made in relation to High Tea have been drawn to the attention of the Resort Child Care Manager who has investigated and is providing ongoing support to her team to ensure that there is no cause for future guests to comment in a similar vein about the care received. It is regrettable that this was not raised during the reviewers’ holiday so that the appropriate action could have been taken at the time.
Our policy in respect of the serving of wine during the evening meal has not changed and it is disappointing that the guests perceived this to be the case and that, overall, the experience was not considered to be as successful as last season.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed in suite 104 with our family of 4. We travelled with another two families. First Espirit holiday for us.
Just returned and planning a return visit next year! Chloe our hotel manager was attentive and keen to ensure all guests had a great holiday. AJ childcare manager was fantastic and her team of childcare workers ensured all the kids (6 in our group) got the best care and fun all week. Ski school was great and catered for all the different abilities, and a childcare worker skied with every group. Hotel facilities were fabulous- huge rooms- clean and warm. Pool was a little cold but didn't seem to bother the kids. Jacuzzi/steam room and sauna were a very welcome treat after a long day skiing. Food was lovely I paid the extra supplement as am dairy-free. Alternatives
choices were always available. Portion sizes were ample for me, but my husband felt they were a
tad small.
The baby/child listening service and cocoa club activities were great for when the grownups had
their dinner.( ours went bowling, ice skating and bum boarding) . All our kids were pretty
whacked after a full day on the slopes and were quite contented to watch dvd's a couple of
nights- bring your own DVD's as there are DVD players in all the rooms.
We were blessed with great snow and sun and even a snowfall toward the end of our week to
make for perfect skiing conditions on our last day.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has boot room on it- can imagine it would be noisy early morning and at the end of the ski...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank MeinirJones
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We have used Esprite 4 times now (3 ski holidays & 1 summer holiday) This was the worst experience we have had. The positives were:
We have children aged 7 and 10 and the childcare is excellent.
The way they labelled our bags at the airport with our room numbers ready for the staff to take them to said rooms on arrival at the hotel was also excellent. The location of this hotel for skiing is also good.
The things that let us down were:
My daughters ski poles went missing after her lesson on the first day and I had to complain 4 times before somebody took ownership of the problem to relocate them.
We had to have mouse traps set in our supersuite (room 408) due to said mouse rummaging in the waste paper bin in the early hours.
The temperature in the restaurant was often freezing cold and so you had to wear extra layers to be able to cope with sitting there to eat. Often we were waiting over 30 minutes to be served our starters due to other guests being late entering the restaurant and nobody was served until the last person was seated. Often the food was then not hot when it finally arrived. On the first night we were served a small dessert bowl of veg between 4 adults and the carrots were not cooked through. On the last night the venison was burnt and totally dried out.
We have stayed at this hotel in the past and the pool and spa area was excellent. This holiday the hot tubs were often out of order or tepid and the steam room did not always have steam!!!
We asked for a taxi to be booked at reception and the following day it still had not been booked. I left a message with reception to let Chloe (hotel manager) know that I wanted to speak to her regarding these issues but the message was not passed on. I finally got to speak to her on the last night when feedback forms were handed out.
To sum up how we feel about this hoiday in one word it would be Disappointed.

Room Tip: Provided the mouse has gone, room 408 is an excellent sized room for a family of 6
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Shazhill
EspritHolidays, Manager at Hotel Des Deux Domaines, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

We are disappointed that, despite so many positive previous experiences with us, including past holidays at the Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines, this reviewer feels that aspects of their stay this year were disappointing.
The points raised have also been drawn to the attention of our Guest Relations department, who will provide a full response in due course.
From the reports that we have received, it is understood that some minor problems were experienced with heating in both the restaurant and wellness areas of the property, which were rectified as soon as possible. Unfortunately suppliers were unable to respond as quickly as they normally would due to the busy Christmas holiday period.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

We went with our two children aged 7 months and 23 months who were booked into the all day child care. They were both looked after fantastically, including trips outside, around the village. Esprit really looks after the children and their every need, including a baby/child room at Chambery airport. We had two cots in the standard room which was not too crowded and the room was kept impeccably keen. We went towards the end of the season and the trouble with the food had been sorted. The new chef came out and spoke to the diners and I praised him on the meals but suggested that the children’s meals could benefit with a little more moisture and the vegetables not being cooked el dente, both of which he was receptive to and the improvements from then on were noticeable. I asked reception to help out with some clothes washing as we had struggled with baggage allowances. This was carried out over night with no charge. The staff in the creche were fantastic and very caring and the dining room staff were very attentive. The child care staff also patrol the corridors whilst the adults go for dinner and will either call down to the dining room in the event of tears or try to settle the children, whichever is your preference. We were so impressed that we have booked exactly the same holiday for next year, albeit two weeks later when our son will be 3 years and 4 days old, therefore able to try skiing!

Room Tip: 210A had a lovely view with the telecabins passing by
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank HolidayFoodie4875
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The hotel 'paradiski' rooms were excellent and very clean and tastefully decorated. The adult only evening meals were great and knowing the children were having a fantastic time in the Cocoa Club every evening or being listened to by the kids patrol on each floor made the food taste even better. My 2 boys 10yrs & 8yrs had the time of their lives in the Maxi's Club the staff were all really fun and friendly and the activities were challenging and varied. I would really recommend this to anyone who likes walking and biking the views were stunning. The hotel was comfortable, friendly and approachable. The Alps in the summer were gorgeous and the kids were happy. If I had to say one negative thing it would be that the hot tubs both indoor and outdoor didn't work the whole week we were there which would have been nice for aching muscles. The pool was great though if not a little too warm. I'm sure we'll return in the future.

Room Tip: The room we had was large with 2 bathrooms and 2 toilets on the corner so a big balcony room 101
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Sherbertpip_68
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This hotel is absolutely beautiful: spacious, modern, highly appointed rooms offering amazing value for money. Childcare is beyond excellent and the staff were all very very friendly and approachable. The Only gripes were that the pool heating system was broken until our last day making the pool pretty much unusable, the hot tubs didn't work at all all week, and information on activities available for families locally was not good although we managed to find things out for ourselves using the free wi-fi. I expect this was down to the fact it was the 1st week of season although this is not a good excuse. Overall however we had a great holiday and will definitely return.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Browncowcello
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Last year I gave this hotel a fantastic review and therefore (apart from the price) didn't think twice about re-booking it again for this year.

Top line is that I am glad I did re-book however, after our last experience, I was more aware of things that weren't quite up to scratch (which I've noted below).

But let's start off with 'STRONG POINTS' to note:-

STAFF - all staff were very friendly, professional and confident so happy about that. Special thanks go out to Rachel who is still a very good strong Hotel Manager and welcomes everyone like it's her own home which is lovely so top marks go to her again this year.
The Baby-listening Girls were very good too; especially Scottish Lisa who my 2 girls fell in love with.
The Snow-Rangers were always there to entertain the kids before ski-school; Liverpudlian Chris was great.
ROOMS - I mentioned it last year but it's great to be able to shut your door and not hear anybody else in the other rooms - bliss! The views are amazing too.

Now the 'NOT SO GOOD' points:-

CLEANLINESS - the minute I entered our room I could tell that it wasn't that clean. I felt a lot of corners had been cut and it all felt a bit rushed. The standard of daily house-keeping was also poor.
All the cutlery, glasses, plates etc were not completely clean at breakfast and dinner and this worried me. We constantly had to keep asking for clean replacements.
I was also not convinced about the chemical levels in the pool; it looked very murky and again, the overall feeling of cleanliness was not as high as I would have liked in an area where loads of kids are playing.
Near the end of the holiday both my daughter and I fell ill with a dogdy tummy bug and it wiped us out for half a day. We both felt really terrible and it left us very weak (not good for a hard day of ski-ing!) We mentioned it to Rachel and she confirmed that a few people in the hotel had fallen very ill with Gastroenteritis !!!!! and a Doctor had to be called. It doesn't take much to realise that the standard of cleanliness probably had a lot to do with this. So that's a real shame.
FOOD / WINE - this year's chef was not very impressive. The quality of produce at breakfast was really poor (especially the really cheap and nasty sausages) and the variation of last year had disappeared. The evening meals were far too rich for me and left me feeling very bloated and queasy most nights. The kids meal were only average - lilttle more.
Wine - well, I know it's free and plentiful but of course you pay for it in the price of your holiday therefore I would have expected the standard to be a little higher than the "Vin d'Plonk" that was on offer - I tried both whites and each were terrible and gave me an instant headache and the Merlot was only just about passable (for a couple of sips - not much more).

So it saddens me to say that we won't be returning. As much as we love the hotel, the location and the facilities it's simply too much money to pay not to have everything top notch :(

Room Tip: 3rd floor is best for easy access to Boot Room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lissybubs
EspritHolidays, Manager at Hotel Des Deux Domaines, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

We are sorry to learn that this reviewer’s experience this time at the Deux Domaines did not live up to their expectations overall, notwithstanding the welcome compliments made about our staff there.

We have discussed the issues raised here with the hotel manager who reports that the vast majority of our guests staying in the same week were highly satisfied with the standards of cleanliness in the hotel, as endorsed by the feedback forms completed at the end of their stay.

The pool and hot tubs are tested three times per day and our spa assistant follows a systematic schedule to clean all the communal areas here every single day.

We refute the implication that any stomach bug experienced would have been connected to hygiene standards at the hotel. There was no outbreak of gastroentiritis, just one isolated case of sickness which required a doctor to be called.

Chalet Hotel Deux Domaines continues to attract our highest volume of repeat bookings year after year from families who value its unbeatable combination of modern, high quality family accommodation, indoor leisure facilities, in-house dedicated child care services and enviable location in one of the most family-friendly ski resorts in the French Alps.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Macot-la-Plagne
1 mi away
Hotel Les Balcons Village
Hotel Les Balcons Village
#8 of 26 in Macot-la-Plagne
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Mont Soleil
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le M...
#6 of 26 in Macot-la-Plagne
Araucaria Hotel & Spa Nuxe
Hotel Club mmv Plagne Montalbert Les Sittelles
Hotel Club mmv Plagne Montalbert...
#4 of 26 in Macot-la-Plagne

Been to Hotel Des Deux Domaines? Share your experiences!