“Very poor restaurant experience ”

Le Chalet du Mont Vallon Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Les Menuires
Dublin, Ireland
“Very poor restaurant experience ”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I was very disappointed the hotel restaurant and found that there was a gross mismatch of style and substance. Service and food was poor for price charged on the night we were there.

The restaurant is very well-appointed with a stylish decor and friendly, well-presented staff. We were seated at a comfortable, barstool-style table. I opted for the buffalo mozzarella starter and the steak main while my dining partner opted for the main of risotto only.

The first warning sign of the poor meal ahead came as a saucer with packet pretzels and crackers was laid down next to some stale baguette from the morning bakery. Baking fresh bread is not difficult and even in a poor quality restaurant I wouldn't expect those mini-pretzels.

I was served my starter at the same time my dining partner was served her main which I see in retrospect was bad timing and destroyed the flow of the meal. My caprese was very basic standard and served with sun dried rather than fresh tomato and a pesto/sundried tomato base. The risotto was, to credit the restaurant fairly, tasty with nicely-balanced flavours.

Once finished my starter the meal was essentially over for my dining partner as she had finished her main. Though my plate was cleared, they left her with her empty plate in front of her while I awaited my main. Once my steak arrived they still failed to clear her empty plate for the remainder of the meal as I ate. Bizarre.

The cut of meat used in my steak was of average/poor quality but cooked as requested. The mushroom sauce had a gelatinous quality and the potatoes ruined by a seared/grilled cabbage leaf on top. At €30, this very average dish represented poor value.

Staff seemed overwhelmed by the number of diners and were running frantically between tables. While employing the crumb remover seen in higher-end restaurants to clear our table, the table next to us were waiting twenty mins after arriving to order. A mismatch of style and substance.

L'atelier seems to have the trimmings of a top-class restaurant (in decor, table setting, price and some of the food presentation). Unfortunately, much of the food plated and important elements of the service did not reach these standards. I would not recommend trying this restaurant.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RestoRecords

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel has excellent staff with a high standard of service. The restaurant is excellent if a little pricey. Pool, steam room and sauna all excellent. Wifi somewhat slow!

Sleep disturbed by noisy doors. Suggest softening the door closers to eliminate slamming doors in every corridor. The kitchenette was available for use but if the cleaning staff see it has been used - a hefty additional charge is added to the bill! Clients avoid using this facility so at least it's always clean!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pipsie1
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here for one week skiing and it was very nice, except for the fact that the Wi-Fi in our room never worked even after a technician was called out to look at it. This was very annoying as we expected Wi-Fi in our room and not having to go down to the reception area.

Other than that the hotel was in a very good location for skiing - the ski room opens up onto the slopes and you can ski-in / ski-out. Each room also has a ski-locker allocated to each room that can lock and this is very handy if you have your own ski equipment.

The shops are a 5 minute walk from the hotel - connected via a lift behind the hotel that takes you to the upper road leading to the shops and restaurants.

Our room was well equipped, including the kitchen, although not very big. Our room had one separate bedroom with bunk beds near the entrance area and it would have been a bit crowded if we were 4 people and not 2.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and we did enjoy our stay there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Spidertravellers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here for a week over the New Year.. Firstly let me say, we thought the staff were friendly and very helpful indeed. Often it is the staff who make your stay enjoyable and certainly this was the case here.

The hotel itself, whilst comfortable, annoyingly falls short in places. Firstly, the room layouts and the comfort.. We booked a room for four people, my husband and I and our grown up children. The kids room was bunk beds and housed the only bathroom and toilet in the whole room. Which meant disturbed sleep if someone got up during the night. Odd layout indeed. Also no windows and no air in their room. A bit like sleeping in a cupboard. Only two small tub chairs to sit on in the lounge area, very hard and uncomfortable.

Secondly, the spa area.. the sauna and steam room not working properly..

Thirdly, Wifi a nightmare, no signal in spite of taking the passwords of different rooms.

Good things, though.. Ski in and ski out, well placed. We could go back to the kitchen in our room at lunchtime and save money and queuing time by not eating on the mountain,
The staff were helpful and polite at every turn.. also there is a little supermarket close by where you can buy bits and pieces for the kitchen in your room. Well equipped kitchen, with microwave, large fridge and induction hob.

IMPORTANT TIP WHEN BOOKING. If you are staying for 7 nights and book through Booking.com etc.. they will only offer you the 'Hotel Package' which is more expensive than the 'Residence Package'.. the difference is on the Hotel rate, which is more expensive.. you will be charged yet further if you use the kitchen to cook. Not only is the Residence package less expensive but you can use the kitchen freely, which saves you money anyway. I would still book through Booking.com because it gives you the option of a Free Cancellation.. however, I would contact the hotel directly and ask for the Residence package.

Room Tip: Read my review for saving money.. also if you have Adult children, do not book the room we had with...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth L
Paris, France
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed there for a weekend and have not been disappointed. The hotel is very cosy and decorated with taste. The staff is international and speaks excellent English. They are really friendly and helpful. We had a suite and the value was really good, particularly given the location of the hotel, right outside the pistes, and the spa services it offers.

The swimming pool and hammam/sauna were a blessing after a day outside. The swimming pool was not as warm as I wish it would be but I believe it's due to the sanitary rules (in order to avoid turning the pool in a culture medium). They have a small gym and offer spa treatments (for a medium price range)

The restaurant is amazing and quite affordable! The wines are excellent and for a good price. It really worth it! Excellent breakfast as well (buffet) and lovely restaurant staff..

Definitely a place to recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed at Mont Vallon with my wife and children this weekend

Cost me almost 1300 euros all in. This included ski hire, spa treatments, breakfast, one evening dinner and breakfast each day.

We generally enjoyed our stay

Hotel is spotlessly clean

The rooms are OK / functional. Good beds & linen - bunk in lobby and separate double room
There was no sofa - just 2 arm chairs, not ideal for 4.

Theres also no crockery, even though there's a kitchenette as they clearly want you to use either their restaurant or room service (including an option for breakfast)

Wifi in room was useless

We paid for underground parking - which was handy, lots don't and just park on street

Nice lobby and pool but Gym is lame

We had good massages one evening

We found the staff to be organised and friendly we arranged all hire gear, dinner and spas before arrival

Hotel is ski in / out which was great, ski locker arrangement very good although not heated when we were there

Breakfast was buffet style and of good quality - we had our fill, as quite pricey (but not for the Alps I guess)

My only major criticism was the L'Atelier restaurant for dinner

Food was great - service was lousy

They lost our reservation - seemed to imply I didn't book

Slow service had to ask for menus

Queried olive oil on Margaritta pizza as my boy is not a fan - was told "No olive oil no pizza"
What? Tell the chef not to pour it on - no?

Had to ask for wine list, was then told I'd had it (I hadnt) - just give me the wine list, so I can spend some money in your restaurant - right?

Had to chase up soft drinks, never got one coke or the San Pelligrino - tried to charge me for them though

Real shame as food was great

Don't let this put you off the hotel as overall we considered it to be good

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel, at the outside of les menuires (les bruyeres) has excellent ski in ski out facilities. The rooms are spacious and the beds excellent. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The restaurant is by all means good. Breakfast quick, and good choice (although pricy for what you get, but then you are on holiday...), in the evenings very good dishes at good prices.
The spa is also great, they could maintain it a bit better (half of our week the sauna was out of order). Wifi is terribly slow, that really needs to be improved.
Thx to the quick acces to a lot of lifts all the valley runs are whitin easy reach!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple