Hotel Val d'Este
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Although we have visited St Gervais a number of times, this is the first time we have stayed at the Val D'Este and were delighted with this charming little hotel. Having read some of the other reviews, we felt compelled to give this hotel the praise it deserves and I honestly don't know how some of the other guests could rate this hotel so poorly. The hotel is located right in the centre of the small town of St Gervais & is within easy reach of everything. We booked directly with the hotel without any problem and the owners could not have been more helpful or accommodating.

We had a room at the back of the hotel with a beautiful view overlooking Mont Joly. The room was quiet, charming, spacious, warm and clean with plenty of hot water on tap - just what's required after a hard day's ski-ing!

Breakfast was a plentiful continental affair with lots of choice including ham, cheese, eggs, bread, crossiants & pastries, juice, coffee, tea etc and although it was extra - we knew this at the time of booking.

We met another group of guys ski-ing who have been coming back to this hotel for over 10 years, which tells you all you need to know about this place.

This little hotel belies its official rating and we'd have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and we're already looking forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 February 2011

This is a litttle gem of a central town hotel whose owners go out of their way to make you welcome. Only 12 mins walk to the ski gondola (or take the free bus 100m outside) we spent a very happy 5 nights here during our ski break in the quiet St Gervais ski area. Much better than the busier and more expensive Megeve and with access to the same pistes. The hotel is kept spotlessly clean, is very warm and provides the best breakfast we have had in many holidays in France. After despairing of finding somewhere as good as this, based on Tripadvisor reviews and Booking.com availability, we turned up without a booking and, at 66 euros per room, we believe this hotel gives exceptional value for money. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2010

On the date of our arrival we were treated very cold and told that we were 1hour ahead and should go back at around 1:30 till 2.
The first 2 days we did not have an internet access or WI-Fi connection that we needed and were told that it's the room that we were in the problem. After 2 days we had to extend our staying they wanted to raise the price much higher and we finally came to a mid-way agreement and changing our room.
In the new room we did not have access either and were waiting for some important news. Well, when in the evening I went down stairs to ask what could I do, as there was another computer in the common room with a TV, not only we could use that, more than that I was offended by the attitude of the owner a man who do not seems like to work or respond to anyone anymore, that it's something to do with my lap-top and he can not do anything about it. Reminding that we were in another hotel in the area a week prior to that and no issue.
Then at 10:15 pm we had a call from Canada that we were desperatly waiting for, he did not connect and told the caller that the hotel was closed and they do not have us there.
Following day he told us that they do not have anyone working for them so he and his partner divide the tasks and responding the phone after 10pm is not possible. The following night I received a call from my mother few times who was trying to reach me at around 9pm and he kept hanging on her. My sister tried also. When I realised and went down to say that I was expecting a call and if he could connect he replied that it's not possible he does not know how to connect and it's not working and my family should call me on my personal mobile. Then when I insisted that it's not possible, he said I could stand next to the entrance door and if they call again tell them that I can not receive call there. And I talked to my family for 5 minutes and then they told me to go to another room that was breakfast room and there were a family kind of dispute there among themsleves.
Afterall we gave up and left the hotle a day ahead when we wanted to go sking and the end of our trip was ended to a mess and my family were mistreated if they tried to reach us, and the call from Canada was not connected and no internet service.
I was happy that I choose not to have breakfast there and stayed the minimum time in the room. At night it was very noisy also.
Well you judge it how we felt where we wanted to have a holiday in peace! That day we chose to leave searching for another place to stay again and lost a lot of time on that and had to drive back to Lyon where we where flying back finally to the UK.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TripexperienceNRL
Reviewed 21 February 2010

In a good central location for the Village, alongside shops, restaurants, tourist info. bureau, bank, church,ski hire shop, Spar mini supermarket - all walkable. Free ski shuttle bus within 3 minute walk (approx. 10/20 mins, see timetable). Ski locker side of hotel. Free use of internet, use of small lounge until 9pm. Help yourself buffet breakfast, bread, cheese, eggs, fruit, cereals, yoghurt, coffee. OK to bring in to lounge take away Pizza, but no food allowed in room. Gentleman speaks English, Lady cheerful, speaks French. Room/hotel typical of ski hotel ,clean, comfortable, lived in, not contemporary. Thermostat powerful radiators, clean linen and towels. Nice mountain view from our room. Great Tram that goes slowly up the mountain to Belle Vue. Taxi > Hotel approx. 15E to La Fayett Station. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We stayed at the Val D'Este for three nights in early September 2009. The room was small but very "alpine" and charming, the location could not be better, as the hotel is located right in the center of Saint Gervais, the breakfast buffet was the best we have had on our trip in France and the price was very reasonable.

It may be worth paying a few extra bucks for a room with rear exposure, not only for the view of Mont Blanc but also to avoid hearing the noise from the town square in the early morning.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Our second visit to St Gervais for ski-ing. Last years stay in hotel La Maison Blanche was superb but unfortunately for a change, we chose Val d'Est after reviews on Trip Advisor. However, and unfortunately for us we had an awful stay due to the new owner C. Toutain. We had taken 5 rooms at full board and still the horrible man tried to manipulate, bully, and lie to us about a number of things. We were on a ski-ing trip and 3 of our rooms had no shower and when my husband asked politely if there were any available shower rooms he lied and said there were no rooms with showers in the hotel and that showers in ski-ing hotels did not exist . This was a bit stupid because some members of my family did have them. Secondly, the website advertises showers, and thirdly as we pointed out to him the hotel we stayed in last year had showers in every room! Also, we stayed full board because the evening meal was advertised to be in the attached restaurant, but on our arrival he told us we had to eat in the bar that night because the restaurant was full. This was disappointing because it was Valentines evening and we ourselves had expected to have a romantic evening there but he was being greedy obviously and took bookings from people outside the hotel with no care or thought to his own hotel guests. There were so many things about this rude man ( he told us that a lot of French hoteliers didn't like to welcome foreigners like us) but the final straw for me was when he lied about an additional room I had taken for my 15 year son for a few nights. He told lies about the arrangement he had made with me to get him out of the room because prospective guests were looking for a twin room that my son had, and he could have got more money from the room with double occupancy rather than my sons single occupancy. Luckily I could prove that he was blatantly lying because my husband who speaks fluent French was party to the arrangement he made. Ultimately the week was so upsetting that I asked that we leave on Day 4 but he would not agree to it and said that he would charge us for the full week. My husband stressed to him that he had upset us so much with his lies that he would waiver the cancellation policy and allow us to leave but he would not.
I would like to say that the attached Restaurant was superb and the staff there wonderful - (they only rent the premises from Monsieur Toutain) but another thing that is important is that we found we would have been better of with a room rate only and going a la carte with both breakfast and evening meal....normally if you go full board you get a discount on the food part but I gather that any discount that restaurant give was taken by the hotel. What a shame our visit hadn't been made whislt under the management of the previous owners. Oh and it seems that he is still using the previous owners name not changing it on the website. He is C Toutain!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Anniesing
Reviewed 11 January 2008

The hotel Val d'este is a real gem. The prices are very reasonable, and the owner, Collette, and her husband are incredibly welcoming and informative. Breakfast is extra, but again it's not expensive and it's very good. The coffee and hot chocolate are the best in town! The hotel is right in the middle of the village, and there is ample parking close by. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)