“Nice, clean place to stay”

Scottish Inn Merkel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merkel
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Clean rooms at a decent price and a friendly owner. Nice to have a restaurant adjoining the motel too. A very handy stopover point.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank thetravellingoctopus

Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stopped at the Scottish Inn just west of Abilene on I-20 and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stop. The rooms were large, clean and very reasonably priced and even had a swimming pool. The on-site restaurant provided us with a great breakfast and dinner without having to go back on the road. Andy and Elizabeth were very gracious hosts and we will stop ther whenever we are driving through.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Don A
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I stayed at this motel for 3 weeks on business in January. Merkel is a small town in Texas with a population of 3000 max, so I imagine this place caters to people traveling through on the I-20. If you are expecting the Ritz, then stay in Dallas. If you are looking for a clean place to stay that will leave you feeling refreshed in the morning, this motel works. The Scottish Inn is family run by nice, hospitable and helpful people. My first impression: When I flew into Abilene at 8:30, my luggage was lost. Long story short, my luggage arrived 11 o'clock to the front desk and the owner personally brought it to my room.

I stayed for 3 weeks. I worked out of my room and they didn't mind it a bit when I rearranged some furniture to accommodate my equipment. (I didn't trash the place or anything). Though I consider myself a tidy person, the room always looked cleaner after the maids came through. (I opted not to have my room cleaned everyday since I was working in the space and needed time to work- every other room was cleaned daily). They always made sure I had new towels, even when I insisted that I could keep the same ones because I was essentially living out of the place. The curtains really blocked out the light; since I was working some weird hours and sometimes slept during the day, this was helpful.

But the reason I'm writing this review (a few months later) is the owners/staff. Andy and his team are extremely hospitable. They are friendly and will try to answer whatever questions you may have about the area. If you need something, they will try to accommodate you. I know they took over this motel from someone else awhile back and they are working hard to improve it. They really do care about your business, which in this day and age feels rare.

Downside or upside, depending on how you look at it: they are right next to the freeway. You can hear freeway noise, but you can also hear the sound of the Texas wind which is loud and you can't do anything about either.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank HZ-NK
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Every time I am passing through Merkel on my truck route, I choose to stay here. Very convenient location and plenty of truck parking so it is not a hassle to park my big rig. I felt like I was at a resort. The employees are very friendly. The place was very clean and the rooms were priced great. Food at the restaurant was delicious. Location is great for vacation and sight seeing for tourists too.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BigRig27
Reviewed 18 February 2011

My production company recently shot a film outside of Merkel, and the Scottish Inn was our home base. The owners, Andy and Elizabeth, went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable.
The rooms are well outfitted with microwaves, coffee makers and coffee, a refrigerator and cable tv. Each has a sitting area in addition to the comfortable beds.
If you want a great cheap stay with amazing hospitality, go to the Scottish Inn.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank jennreeb
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I recently stayed at the Scottish Inn in Merkel and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of attention I received from the Management. The husband and wife in charge were two of the nicest people I have ever met. I was stranded in Merkel due to a snow storm, but from the time I stepped into the lobby, my mind was immediately at ease. I cannot stress enough how highly I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

Also, be sure to check out the adjoining cafe. Delicious, home-cooked food.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank alabamacrimsontide23
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We were stranded due to snow storm and found the Scottish Inns in Merkel, Tx. Staff were very courteous and made a difficult situation very comfortable and pleasant. Andy and his wife were exceptional hosts.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kkrylee3

Been to Scottish Inn Merkel? Share your experiences!