The hotel itself meets all expectations and provided a very pleasant and relaxing experience for us - spacious and clean rooms, friendly and professional service, nice breakfast. We had the royal suite, which has a sitting room and a roof terrace with a jacuzzi, and there was a plate of strawberries waiting for us in the room as a welcome - nice touch. At low-season, and not yet too hot summer weather, the treat was well worth the higher price. Also because the suite has sound-proof windows.
Which brings me to the most unfortunate points about La Vecchia Fonte - its location and its noisy neighbours. Between the hotel and the nice marina, you have an ugly parking lot (which however hosts a market, nice for sampling local produce). A real let-down are the bars on the square, not even nice tavernas or winebars, just soulless junk, which turn up the noise to ridiculous volumes - it ruins the atmosphere of the town, and it certainly ruins your sleep if you're in a front room without soundproof windows. So make sure you get a room out on the back, or take the suite, pack earplugs, and don't travel in high season.
As much as I enjoyed staying in the hotel, this aspect would make me hesitate to go back in high season; tourism has evolved from cheap drinks and loud music! I seriously wonder how even the locals accept this situation. I would like to know whether there are any efforts made to address this point - would be shame for a nice hotel to be let down by its neighbourhood like that.
So overall three points - I would like to give the hotel 5, but zero for the location and noise. Please do something about it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 4-star hotel overlooking the harbour is a 5-minute walk from the main beaches. Parking is free from late September until April.The rooms are decorated with traditional Sardinian-style furniture and light colours. Some rooms offer views of the harbour, which links to La Maddalena Archipelago. Wi-Fi is free throughout.The café and breakfast bar is situated on the ground floor next to the hall. Coffee, aperitifs, and cocktails are served in a refined atmosphere inspired by the seafaring world.La Vecchia Fonte's courteous staff can assist you throughout your stay in Palau. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Odigeo, ACCOR, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your La Vecchia Fonte Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Vecchia Fonte Palau
- La Vecchia Fonte Hotel Palau
- La Vecchia Fonte Hotel Sardinia/Palau