“a very pleasant hotel”
Review of Hotel La Roccia

Hotel La Roccia
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Palau
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were there 2 nights, A good, clean room , a rich breakfast buffet, and very friendly and helpful staff. Downstairs you can use Wifi for free. There is also a private, closed parking. A little minus point: there is no elevator, but the hotel counts only two floors, so good to do. In short a hotel where you would like to come back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Roccia

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed in room 5, "I Delfini" for 4 nights, 4-8 Aug 2013 for EUR80/night single incl B/F booked on Booking.com.

This is a family-run, super-friendly and welcoming 1960's style motel. In fact, Sabrina the lovely red-head on Reception - her grandfather was involved in designing the building around 1960. Sabrina speaks English really well and was a great help. I enjoyed my stay a lot given the north of Sardinia is super-expensive in August and I nearly cancelled my plans as initially I couldn't find a place I could afford anywhere from Santa Teresa to Porto Rotondo that had a vacancy with my own bathroom etc (alot have shared bathrooms in the lower price bracket). The room was small and clean, with no particular view but A/C worked well and the breakfast room was absolutely gorgeous with a delicious selection of cakes, breads, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, pastries etc. You received excellent personal service at breakfast - coffees made to order with a smile and it was my favourite part of my stay.

In particular - bathroom was small, had to step around bidet to use the mirror. No hairdryer - but I bought my own. Water temperature is very temperamental - 1 degree turn of dial and water goes super hot to cold but pressure was excellent. The little balcony overlooks the building across the road - we can all see in each others windows - I am not sure anyone would have a water view at all - better check if this is important to you.

YES, there is a beach within walking from the hotel (500m), but it is adjacent to the Port - so it is a harbourside beach with grey sand, not one of the picturesque beaches with crystalline blue water and white sand from the Maddalenda Islands ie. Isola Spargi and Isola Santa Maria. There is also a magnificent beach at Santa Teresa - within walking of the Duomo - Rena Bianca. Worth a visit but get there EARLY as it gets packed. Indeed, I loved Santa Teresa more than Palau - it was more picturesque BUT as I get sea sick, I need to stay in the town closest to Maddalena Islands by boat ...

Really easy access out the back door of the Hotel to a small laneway, past a gorgeous Pastry Shop, "Alexanders" with cake and coffee to die for and on to the main street, Via Nazionale. From there 2 min walk to Port. Once at the Port, there are dozens of boats vying for your business to take you out to the Maddalena Islands or further to Corsica. They all leave around 10-10.30am. Just walk down around 9am and take your pick - no need to book. I went out on "Petagus" approx 150 seater motor boat - the largest I could find as I get seasick and needed a large vessel. Cost was EUR35 incl simple pasta lunch on board and we were back by 6pm. We had plenty of time to swim in that gorgeous blue crystalline water at Cala Corsala on Isola Spargi (2 hours to swim) and then at Isola Santa Maria (another 1.5 hours to swim). Then we motored on to "Bagno nelle Piscine", another deep-sea swimming area inbetween the islands of Santa Maria and Razzoli - diving off the boat for 30 mins. It was GREAT fun!! What I loved the most was that the Skipper, a resident of La Maddalena, just was so passionate about his job - he loved giving tourist information to us, and joined us for a swim at Santa Maria. It was a top day out. For more tourist information, get in touch with Tomasso at the Orsus Office, Via Nazionale 2, Palau - he was really helpful and spoke fantastic English - www.orsus.it or info@orsus.it. In general it was hard to find information before I left home so he is a great contact and was spot on about Petagus being fine for my sea sickness (no wind and flat sea helped too)

PS - I did not want to rent a car so I had to manage with buses - it was all very easy from Olbia Airport - directly outside the terminal is the bus station. Make sure you buy your ticket at the Information Desk INSIDE the terminal first. They were really kind and helpful and note the Turmo bus to Palau and Santa Teresa goes INLAND via Arzachena and NOT along the coast via Porto Cervo as I expected (there is a separate bus going from Olbia to Porto Cervo). Departure times 1030, 1215, 1500, 1700, 1915, 2145 from 5 Jun to 19 Sep 2013 (see www.aeroportodiolbia.it)

Also, FYI - getting from Palau to Alghero was NOT as painful as I thought by bus - I took bus from Palau Port to Santa Teresa around 1.38pm (around 34km/30mins, EUR2.50) then I took the Digitur bus from Santa Teresa bus station to Alghero Airport at 3pm (133km/around 2.5 hours/EUR16). From the airport I took a taxi to my hotel in Alghero - 8km/EUR22. All in all quite easy and I'm glad I did. Alghero was my favourite town - I love historic towns with medieval walls etc. It was so worth it! Also recommend day trip to BOSA from Alghero - fantastic Castello Malaspina - again easy to catch bus from Via Catalogna/at the Park bus departs 0930 and takes 1 hour to Bosa Citta. Return at 1650 from Bosa Citta.

Room Tip: Would be good to have a sea view if it is possible - otherwise you look into apartments opposite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank YasmineinSydney
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here for 4 days from June 30th, to July 4th. The room was spacious & clean. The staff was warm & helpful. For Italy they gave you a big and tasty breakfast with as much cappuccinos as you would want. It has private parking & internet in the lobby for free. The location was great because it is near the pier where you get a boat to Magdalena Island, a must see. After you get back from a day of sightseeing you can walk to many different restaurants I recommend San Giorgio right around the corner great food & very reasonable prices. The only down sides of this hotel is that there is no elevator & we had to pull our suitcases up & down 39 steps to get to & from our room on the 2nd floor, the other minus is that you can hear your neighbors flush. We would definitely go back to this hotel & recommend it. We felt it was a good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is not a fancy hotel , this is a cosy hotel with a great staff. Maybe I'm bias because I got a room with a huge terrasse to enjoy but besides that fact, the staff were very sweet and super available to give us all the directions we needed for a great stay in lovely Sardenia. Walking distance to the port where plenty of boats and sail boats whisk you away to gorgeous beaches and islands. It is not walking distance to any beach but we were travelling by car so it didn't matter. A parking space is available for that. Breakfast is lovely . I gave this hotel excellent for all the reasons mentionned above. Again, this is a humble hotel , which is simply charming, clean and efficient.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Myrza313
Reviewed 23 June 2012

le little town of Palau , close to Olbia is really a nice place to stay, when you plan a trip to Italy and you wish to include a week in Sardinia this place is the perfect spot: it is not too crowded as Porto Cervo and Porto Rotondo, but it is still very pleasant and the sea is pristine! the hotel La Roccia is down town close to everything! the beach, the boats for excretions, the restaurants, the marina, the shops, the market place and the gelateria!! all what you need for a perfect stay "Italian style"
the personnel is friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and the price is correct, moreover the breakfast is served in a very nice room and it is on buffet.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a balcony, but on the side of the port they are bigger
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank aboutrome
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This hotel was very clean, had a nice sized room and a balcony that was bigger than the room. Free WIFI, a private parking lot and a pretty good spread for breakfast. The hotel is right in town and you can walk there in a few steps. The staff at the hotel was fantastic and helped us make reservations at restaurants and other hotels along our journey. It is a great value if you need a place to stop off for a tour of the islands in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FunkDoc35
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We are a group of engineers. In the first week of May we were by Hotel La Roccia to have a standardization meeting of IEC. The structure was able to host many delegates with their families. The hotel staff assisted us for any needs, included a comfortable large meeting room, the arrangement of transfer from Olbia airport and a support in selecting the most relevant restaurants from the point of you of high quality and convenience. We will repeat such esperience and suggest companies to use this location also for business meetings, better out of high season period (i.e. from June to middle September).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business