“Good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Myself and my friend wanted a cheap holiday after finishing university, we certainly got this. Our apartment had a brand new kitchen, a bathroom (which had a shower and a bath), 2 seperate single beds and a balcony with a sea view. The room was very clean, and had most of the facilities you would need. The only problem with the apartment was that the hotel did not provide manuals for some of the things in the apartment such as the air con or the television which would've been very handy! The staff at the hotel were very friendly. We arrived at the hotel at about 10:30pm (spanish time) so we were very hungry. The receptionist called for pizza to be delivered to our room, which was also very nice and cheap! The staff were always willing to assist you with any queries you may have, whether this is about day excursions or the time of checking out.
We flew into Malaga and paid for a shuttle bus to take us to and from the hotel. This probably wasn't the best form of transport, as when we arrived at the hotel we saw that Tourmeulle station was a few seconds away from the hotel. Do not let this put you off though, the trains are extremely quiet, they are cheap and are regular. The train stations have self service machines which can also be translated into english. Also the trains have small television screens which shows you exactly how long it will be until the next stop. This is very useful if you are worried about getting lost. Be warned, the spanish trains seem to arrive very early, so if you are planning a day out you will want to get to the train a few minutes beforehand.
The area in which the hotel is situated is quiet, but there is easy access to livelier towns. There is a local supermarket a few minutes down the road which sells some english food but it is expensive. I would recommend travelling into Fuengirola (on the train) where there are many cheaper supermarkets to choose from.
I was very pleased overall with Vista De Rey and I would recommend to anyone who wants a cheap relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: I would suggest booking a room on the first floor as you have more privacy as you have a seperate ba...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
14 Thank Louiserizzo1510

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Shannon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We are a "mature"couple who enjoy good food and drink without the late-night partying of some of the neighbouring resorts.The access from Malaga airport by train(very quiet and unobtrusive)is excellent with the station literally on the hotel doorstep.We arrived late on Sunday night but 24/7 reception took care of our check-in.Our accomodation was spotless and contained all up-to-date,clean appliances.Our only criticism is that for people our age,access to the shower,which is over the bath is a little daunting!The shower screen was siliconed to the edge of the bath so it would not open.This gave very limited access together with the height of the edge of the bath.Having said that,provided you take care there should be no problem.Not much to do in Torremuelle itself although the"La Chique"bar down the hill,next to The British College is a great spot.Thumbs up to Ronnie and his staff.The two restaurants are superb and the local "Pigs Head"
bar/foodery is very good.There are 3 supermarkets,the biggest being UK owned(there is also a bar here!The superb train service will take you all the way between Malaga and Fuengirola and back for Eur1.80 each way.
But back to the Hotel.On a scale of 1-10 ? Has to be 10!!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank norandrobbo
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012 via mobile

Just returned from four nights at the Vista del Rey and have to say we were really pleased with it for the money we paid. Hopped on the train at Malaga and for 1.65 euro we arrived in Torremuelle 20 minutes later, to be greeted by a friendly receptionist who checked us in and we were given a studio on the second floor with a large balcony(all rooms face the pool) but we didn't like the ground floor ones as the terrace wasn't private enough for us. The studio was very clean with a small kitchenette with microwave, fridge and basic utensils washing up liquid and a sponge was provided but no tea towels so next time I'll take my own. You can book b&b or half board but we weren't offered this option when we booked, although I believe the evening meal was not so good. There is an English supermarket nearby for provisions although it is just as easy to jump on the train opposite the hotel and shop in Fuengirola or Arroyo del mile where the large supermarkets are situated. Torremuelle is a quiet area with only a couple of bars and restaurants but easily accessible to all nearby places using the train, we ate at Lucianos restaurant near the main road which is reasonably priced and the food was superb. If your on a budget and want a clean modern apartment consider this one, it's brilliant for the price. We will return.

Stayed April 2012
15 Thank CarpetbaggerCheshire
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

A lovely little hotel in Torremuelle Half an hour walk to Benalmedina..spotlessly clean with new facilities. All the staff were courteous and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Great wifi facilities which was totally free. TV was all Spanish TV but if the programmes you watched were british american etc you can change the language on the sound.
I arrived very late at night due to a Nightmare EASYJET cockup but that's another story....and the owner let me have a few bottles of coke as no shops were open at the time which was greatly appreciated I can tell you.
Apartment was lovely I have to say, clean fresh and comfortable. Train station directly outside the hotel and was very very handy..2.60 e for return ticket to Benalmedina which saves you a fortune. Trains depart both ways every 20 mins and none were late.Great for exploring You can't hear any noise from the trains either they are all brand new electric ones.
There are 2 shops not too far away but just as easy to jump on the train and shop in Benalmedina centre..cheaper too. Only there for 4 days but enjoyed my visit. Will definetely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
17 Thank Cheryl L
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Sunday, 24 July 2011Vista de Rey Benalmadena, Spain
Day 1- we arrive at Malaga airport, I paid for a transfer to the hotel, which on hind site was a complete waste of money, but I'll come back to that. The hotel / apartment is clean & perfectly adequate for the price. It's not in Benalmadena as we expected but in Torremuelle instead. The chap on the desk speaks barely any English & seems to have difficulty smiling. There is a supermarket (Kwik Save) down the road & then a bar / restaurant. Both meals were great & not expensive. We had a walk along the coast which wasn't that appealing & it looked like the hotels owned the beach areas ( apparently they don't). A very nice lady was now on reception & she let us know about the trains & other beaches. Day 2- The train station is literally outside the hotel, which would seem like a nightmare but isn't. The trains are so quiet in Spain, not like the noisy chugging & horn blowing in England. The tickets to the next town along were only 2 Euros return & so easy to work out which platform to be on . So we train it to Carvajol which has lovely beaches, with few people on them. The restaurants have lots of very comfy sunbeds for hire at 4 Euros a day. The sea was clean & not too cold. After getting ready later, we decided to go to Fuengorola on the train. This is a much busier place. The beaches were absolutely rammed with people even at 7pm & we would have hated it there. Very many typically touristy bars & double the price for a drink.
Can't believe how easy it would have been to get the train from Malaga airport & so much cheaper then the coach...O well , you live & learn.
Reception kindly allowed us to leave our cases after checking out at 12 & also gave us a room to shower in after sunbathing. Overall a lovely place for people that don't want to be surrounded by English people, quiet but within easy reach of the commercialised Towns , pubs, clubs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
75 Thank sussexspy
Hornchurch, Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a short break (5 nights) at the Vista de Rey. Firstly, the location is not Benalmadena; it is at Torremuelle. It's like saying the the hotel is in London. It could be located at Chelsea or West Ham but it's in London. Benalmadena is the postal district, and I do not believe that either the hotel or travel agencies are trying to deceive.

The hotel management has recently changed and I fear the standards, supported previously by good reports, have changed as well. Unfortunately for the worst.

We had a Studio A room which we found comfortable. For "Self Catering" facilities, it did lack a few essentials. Equipment consisted of a 2 ring hob, refrigeration, filter coffee machine, kettle, 2 slice toaster and cutlery/crockery for four people. Basic items such as a tea towel or cork screw are not provided. When booking, there are no options available to request provisions, ie, tea bags, coffee, bread, and milk for example, to be brought in for your arrival which, quite frankly could be paid for when you checked in. A five minute stroll down the hill from the hotal will take you to O'Toole's Kwik Save. 10 minutes to get back to the hotel with your load. Kwik save is open 7 days a week - until 8pm weekdays and Saturdays, 4pm Sundays.

The room was not cleaned during the course of stay. The floor in the lounge/sleeping area had obviously been brushed but the surface was gritty. Towels were not replaced and I found these to be very thin and small. If you were using the terrace pool, you would he hard pushed to dry your bath towel in time for your morning shower.

All rooms have a balcony overlooking the terrace pool. It is in fact, very attractive but I can only surmise that both the terrace and the pool could very easily get over-crowded during the busy summer season. The pool is quite small and over-crowding could be hazardous for young children. I would think twice before allowing my grand-children to use the pool during the busier periods.

Due to our stay being so late in the year (November), many of the usual facilities were not available and I cannot therefore make comment or fairly proffer an opinion. The games rooms was available (for those who enjoy a game of poole) and the reception area bar was open from 0830 until 2300 every day. "Very Light" snacks and coffee can be obtained as well as a limited assortment of beer and spirits. (Watch prices though. "Carlos I Brandy will cost you €8 here - everywhere else I went, the price was €5.50. "Carlos III is €3.50, the same as other places) The laundrette, self service, was also available but we did not make use of this amenity. No other facilites were available.

My overall opion of the hotel was "I could have stayed in a hostel, received the same services/facilites at a lot cheaper price". The truth is, it is not a case of "I could have"; it is a case of, "I have".

For us, this holiday at the Vista de Rey had two saving graces. First was the railway. Torremuelle Station is literally 'across the road' from the hotel entrance. Trains are clean, cheap, comfortable, and on time. (Honestly, it's true. trains can be cheap, clean, confortable, and run on time). They run every half hour with Malaga 30 minutes away to the East and Fuengirola 13 minutes to the West. There are numerous other towns in between that are worth visiting, but at this point, I would have to suggest that this is not idea for a family with young children. There is invariably a lot of walking involved, particularly at Malage, Benalmadena, Fuengirola, and Torremolinus. Torremolinus, incidently, has a lift back up to the town centre (centro) which costs €0.50 per person.

The second 'saving grace' has to be the "El Mirador Restaurante" in Torremuelle. This is located in the town centre. Walk down passed Kwik Save to the roundabout, under the bridge to your left and the restaurant is just off to your right. The set menu is three course meal at €14.95 per person. The selection is quite extensive. If, like me, you enjoy red wine, go for the 'house red' - it is a superb Rioja; light, fruity but well bodied. Not weak and watery like many of the cheaper French wines. The restaurant is own by an Iranian (please put prejudies aside - I served in the Middle East with the RAF many years ago. I learn there are good and bad wherever you go) Ramin, the owner moved to Spain in 1980 and became involved with the restaurant business in 1986. The food is absolutely superb - well presented, well prepared and extremely enjoyable. The proprietor's English is impeccable - talks it better thun what we does. We talked about "best restaurants" on the flight home. Our top eateries, were the Portugese Restaurant in Malaka, Mayalsia, followed by the El Torrando in Barcelonette, Barcelona.
Consensus:- The "El Mirado" beats them both.

Depending upon your personal point of view, a hotel is a facility to satisfy neccessity or a place in which to live in luxury for a short period of time. Our view has always been that a hotel is a place to sleep, bathe, and hang a change of clothes whilst on holiday, ie, to satisfy neccessity. To this end, I would recommend, with reservations, the Vista de Rey. This is a hotel for people who take the attitude of "deal with it", "sort it out" - don't whinge. Do not expect service on a silver platter. This is ideal in the "out of season" period for people of my age group (in their 60s) and suitable for younger people (20s/early 40s) who need and deserve space to 'let their hair down' during the summer season.. It is not, in my opinion, suitable in any way for families with young children. I really do feel that there is a safety issue.

Whatever, enjoy your holiday. If there is a problem - deal with it. Don't whinge - despite all the blogs - who picked the damned holiday anyway?

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank WhereWhatWhen

Travellers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Ripon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

I stayed at the hotel with my teenage son at half term. It was extremely quiet (as was the whole of the area); possibly due to UK financial meltdown. The hotel was very easy to get to from Malaga airport by train, getting off at Torremuelle, but you must buy a ticket on the platform before getting on or face a large surcharge if you are caught. It was a pleasant stay and the studio was spacious, well equiped and comfortable, although I found the beds a bit hard. There is little in the way of a beach within walking distance. The nearest best beaches are one stop further down the line (Carvajal) which only takes a few minutes to get to which is fine if there are just 2 of you but the costs would build up for a large family. The trains run half hourly and you can get to lots of places, including beyond Malaga quickly and easily (http://www.renfe.es/cercanias/malaga/index.html). It is about an hours walk along the coast to Benalmedina. We enjoyed ourselves at this hotel, possibly helped by the fact that the sun shone all week and it was very quiet.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family