“Excellent all inclusive week. great value for money”
Review of Holiday Polynesia

Holiday Polynesia
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
“Excellent all inclusive week. great value for money”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My wife and myself stayed for 1 week 15th to 22nd Sept.2013 All inclusive with Thompson late deals.
The hotel has to be seen to be believed the approach road is guarded by a roundabout covered in models of full size elephants and the reception hall is the size of a cathedral with a bridge covering a grotto pool with fish,waterfalls and fountains. The 7 floors are served by numerous glass lifts.
The rooms are suits consisting of a large lounge/fully equipped kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom. In the lounge there is a sofabed, large wallmounted flat screen TV (remote control costs extra but TV can be controlled by the buttons on the side. Stations include BBC1, ITV 1 +2, Sky news and about 40 other channels. The bedroom has a dressing table and 2 threequarter size beds.
The bathroom has his and hers washbasins, full size bath, separate large shower cubicle.
The huge balcony is entered by doors from either the bedroom or the lounge.
The main restaurant is buffet service and you can eat either in or outside on the large terrace overlooking the pool and the sea beyond.
The two themed restaurants which you have to book in advance we did not try as the food selection and quality in the buffet was so good we were not tempted.
The hotel pool is a fair size and you walk into it from the sides to the centre which slopes to a depth of 1.5m
Loads of sunbeds and plenty of sunbathing area.
Down the hill (10 min Walk) but served by a free open top shuttle bus every 15 mins.is the hotels water park. Free entry and free bar to all inclusive.The huge lunchtime buffet restaurant is closed from Sept.15th so if you want lunch you have to return to the hotel.
Meal times are excellent...Breakfast 7.30 - 1030
Lunch........1.00- 3.00
Dinner........6.30 - 9.30
The hotel has everything you could want on all inclusive but is quite a way away from other attractions. A taxi to Belenmedena centre or Fuengerola is 11 euros.
All in all we had a wonderful holiday and would definately come back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Gallatas
JOSEFA C, Gerente at Holiday Polynesia, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Gallatas,

We are very grateful for your recent feedback.

It is always a pleasure to read that we have made our guests happy as it is what we set out to do for all our guests.

Thank you very much for the feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Polish first
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at the Polynesia for a week on a package holiday.
Overall very good hotel with excellent food, the apartments were very clean, modern, spacious, everything you'd expect from a real 4* hotel. Also great value for money what we paid. Food was abundant, with plenty of choice and excellent fresh fish and seafood served twice a day.

Location: mixed, 30 mins to airport but rather in the middle of nowhere - no real promenade, shops, restaurants nearby. Taxi to Benalmadena or Fuengirola about 10 euros. The hotel does not have a beach, what they try to compensate for with the beach club (free shuttle but expect to walk quite a bit anyway), a water club with pools, etc. There is a beach (Carvajal) about 15-20 mins walk, but it's public so one pays extra for the beds etc. Mind there is only one pool near the hotel which gets rather busy when the hotel is full - sunbeds were abundant and no 'booking with towels' issues at all.

Facilities: plentiful. huge complex with a pool, entertainment (good), a playroom with billiard, kid's games etc, minigolf, table tennis.

Cleanliness: excellent.

Rooms: perfect - we had a one bed apartment, lounge was huge and well appointed, there was a kitchen (a dinner had been left in the fridge for us on arrival - thoughful!). Bathroom is huge and useful. Bedroom was spacious with comfy beds. We had a big terrace, nice.

Staff: Helpful and polite. Front desk staff mixed - some very keen to help, some too used to 'sorry, I don't have any' etc. At 4* and above I think there should be more aptitude to deal with unusual situation - we had nearly missed dinner due to unforeseen issues with the rented car and asked reception to call restaurant to confirm if still fine to come (we were told it's closed and will need to pay 20 EUR each for room service, which is pretty steep on a package holiday with all inclusive). Restaurant was still open and dinner in full swing - the staff were more understandable thankfully.
Also no free wifi or a safety box (a ripoff at a 4 star). Free parking outside hotel was useful when we rented the car.

So overall, a great experience! Minor issues (mainly due to extras for most common things) could be solved very easily. I would definitely recommend and would come back.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room or a room facing the pool where the evening entertainment goes on until about 1...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank honest789
Dear honest789,

We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable holiday.

Your kind words will be shared with all the staff as it motivates them to keep on offering good service.
Thank you for your comments as we take on board all comments to help improve where necessary.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Me and my partner and 2 year old son have just recently visited holiday polynesia recently on 26th sep. After reading other peoples reviews I was rather worried about taking my young child here adding to the stress of my fear of flying. But I was pleasantly surprised as we pulled uo on the transfer bus the hotel looked amazing. We walked into the hotel and couldnt believe our eyes it looked stunning and was so big and clean. We waited 5 mins to be greeted by a lovely spanish woman whos english was brilliant. And as requested got a low level room 106. We had turtles living outside our room and was realky nice to walk past every morning. The hotel has a great open feeling about it and floors are like balconies insted of the hospital corridor hotels. The room was lovely and clean and just the right size for us, the balcony was huge and the bathroom and kitchen was very clean. All very modern, the maids were friendly abd even made an elephant out of towels for my little boy. In my opion the food was amazing and even my little boy whos a picky eater ate loads. There was something for everyone and we ate breakfast lunch and tea and never got ill. The staff work really hard and turn tables over quickly which didnt bother us. The alcholic drinks were strong especially the cocktails ans there was a good variety of drinks on offer for all inclusive. The pool is big and clean but we spent most of our time at the childrens pool up a small hill overlooking the beach club. There was a small pool and play area and a jacuzzi pool. The beach club was fantastic my little boy loved the pool some parts were deeper so we stayed in the pool that was most shallow. Life guards very assertive and all staff had good english. The only negatives I could find with the holiday which will not include the petty things which other people seem to comment about is the night time entertainment could do with some more work and organisation and the coach transfer from the hotel to malaga airport. There was no rep present insted there was an angry spanish driver that didnt know what he was doing and tried to split my partner and me up to go on seperate coaches. In the end we ended up on a jet 2 coach yet we booked a thomson package. Other than that fantastic holiday especially for our first family holiday and will be returning next year already looking at prices

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank kellyp337
Dear kellyp337,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel.

Your kind words will be shared with our staff as it motivates them to keep giving the good service.

We appreciate you taking the time and leaving your feedback.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. Our first impression was very good, the reception area is huge and impressive. Check in was swift and there was a very chilled vibe. Rooms are spacious and modern.

My only negatives with this hotel are:

1. Pool scene.
The pool is very small for the size of the hotel although there were plenty of sun beds available. Also as the title states we were confused how the hotel was trying to portray itself. During our stay the majority of guests were couples or families but the pool scene sometimes was more like a Club 18-30 holiday. Background music is fine but the volume level was far too loud!

2. Evening Entertainment
This takes place outside and doesn't end until 11.30pm so if you don't want to watch it but if your room overlooks it, as ours did, you have no choice but to listen to it. Not great when pregnant, tired and can't snooze around the pool due to noise levels there. In hindsight we should have asked to move rooms straight away so a word of warning.

3. Toilets
Only appeared to be one toilet for use around the pool which wasn't cleaned very regularly and could end up quite dangerous as people where using while still wet.

We did have a nice break but feel that this hotel would benefit from re-addressing what type of hotel it wants to be. Staff all very friendly and speciality restaurants very nice.

1 Thank JMS782013
Dear JMS782013,

Thank you very much for taking the time and leaving your feedback.

We appreciate the feedback as we can use the information to improve our services.
We have taken on board your comments and these will be passed on to the various departments who may be interested.

We hope to welcome you back in the future

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I read ALL the reviews I could before booking this hotel for 11 nights from 15th Sept for my parents, my twenty month old son, my partner and me. This is something i never normally do nor have I ever written one, but I feel I'd like to give an honest review.

I have to say, on the whole this hotel won't disappoint, especially if you are a family with a small child, however there are a few pointers, like others that I felt if rectified could make this hotel worthy of its 4* plus rating.

The rooms are clean and tidy, nice touch providing drink and dinner in our rooms after a late arrival (delayed Thomson flight) the microwave and fridge proved handy and were unexpected. The hotel itself was extremely clean, especially given that the hotel was full throughout our stay and the number of children!! The beach club was very nice, albeit not the warmest water! Ideal for young children and adults alike with no shortage of beds. We were slightly out of season though. The VIP area looked nice and staff were friendly.

The hotel isn't near either main town as others have stated, however the bus service is good and there are many taxis at the entrance to the complex. We hired a car, relatively cheap and excellent service. If you are looking for a holiday where you want town life as well as resort within walking distance, this isn't for you.

Now the negatives. This is my honest opinion and in no way is meant to put you off staying at this hotel as I would go back.

The beach pool/club. It's a trek, not that it bothered me, even with a pushchair and I'm no athlete! I rathered walk back up to the hotel than sometimes wait for a bus, but it's fair to say it is steep and would be no good for anybody less able bodied if I am honest, it's not pleasurable in the heat!

The only "complaint" about the pools was the temperature, cold, for little people, a little too cold in my opinion. I was amazed to see so many children without swimming nappies on. No "accidents" luckily, but I thought it a little thoughtless of some parents, this is of course not the hotel's fault.

The restaurant. I have to say is the biggest disappointment of the trip, so much so we ate out most evenings and/or bought food and sat in our (nice even with the railway track view) balcony. Please don't be put off by the railway, it's really not an eyesore nor noisy, honestly, I have a small child, if it were an issue or even ugly, I'd have asked to move. It was not.

The food for the most part was lukewarm at best. It could be improved with better heated hot plates I feel. I have read some justification of this from guests stating that there are many mouths to feed. I'm sorry, iI have stayed in bigger hotels and have experienced far greater operations than this fairly modest sized hotel that have run with far greater efficiency. If a field kitchen can be set up to feed hundreds of troops or a Las Vegas hotel feed thousands of guests in a sitting for example, I feel a few hundred holiday makers in Spain should fare better, this area lets the hotel down.

The variety of food isn't bad, that's fair to say, however I guess it's what your used to and your expectation. Personally I found it a little samey and the children's options were limited. I wasn't expecting The Ivy, I've been yo many similar establishments, but it was a little lacking and cold, that's just not acceptable really.

Like others, I'm amazed that you have to queue on occasion when there was a plethora of laid tables vacant, odd! I'd recommend sitting outside if you can, the air conditioning is either broken or non existent this week inside!

I honestly think it would have been better, given the number of guests, to keep the restaurant at the beach club open (it shut 15-9-13) Previous reviews I read stated it better than the main one, all I know is, it saves a trek back to the hotel and queue, which with a baby isn't funny nor is it something I've experienced before.

The Wok restaurant can be visited for free once during a 7/11 night stay. This was nice. Small menu, but very nice staff. We actually paid to return, that's how much better the service and food was compared to the Main Restaurant. The wine both red and White was also nicer In here!

The towel hire service is good, 15 euro deposit is a little hefty and one of our towels was ripped when we were handed it, so little tiny things like this could be improved, but at least it's offered.

We had a couple of bulbs out in the room and we borrowed three different irons from reception until we got one that worked and/or didn't trip the electrics, however these things would be nit picking things and didn't really bother us.

Generally, a good stay. Hotel ambience and decor was extremely pleasing. I can't tell you much about the entertainment as we only went a couple of times, but I gather and from what I saw, early on the little ones are catered for, but after 8.30pm ish it's a Spanish entertainment team, to be honest, nothing floated my boat at all. I've always been a bit if a snob over "holiday rep hi de hi" entertainment packages, but to be honest, I wished we could have had a little of that thrown in. The neighbouring Holiday Village would cater for people seeking that more so.

I'd revisit, we all Would. It's a nice resort, it just could do with a couple of tweaks to make it better. The food and restaurant mainly. The staff, bar one slightly abrupt Spanish lady were nice and with the exception of the restaurant, I didn't personally encounter queuing, but I gather others did.

Lastly, the beds are uncomfortable. My mother actually resorted to the more comfortable sofa! They were hard. ,y sons cot, however was not, he slept very well.

Sort the food and restaurant out and this hotel would be packed. To sum it up, if you want a typical package holiday with mainly British guests with British entertainment teams and a British menu, you'll not be happy here. I actually liked the multi cultural atmosphere, I've experienced both types of hotels and I personally thinks it's nice to have a mixed group and mixed food choices and maybe this is where the kitchen struggles; serving up a variety of national delicacies, not sure, but to be honest, it wasn't Michellin starred menus so I'm not sure why it was a struggle.

This isn't a "cheapy package holiday" so it could do with a little direction to get it up to standard.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Katie F
Dear Katie F,

Many thanks for your recent comments about our hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday as this is our intention for all guests.

We take on board all comments and use them to help improve future services.

We thank you for taking the time and leaving your feedback and hope to have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Birmingham
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is definitely a beautiful hotel with a showpiece reception area, sadly the sheer size of it meant a lot of walking to get to amenities within the hotel so if you have any mobility issues be aware of this. I found the lifts to be a bit of a pain as they sometimes did not take me to where I wanted to go and it took at least 3/4 days of our 7 day holiday before I could get to the restaurant without getting lost first.
The rooms were large, clean & beautifully furnished to include self catering facilities. Staff were efficient, polite & friendly. The hotel had a well stocked shop, a bowling alley, soft play, arcade & games room, piano bar with TV, reading room, golf, computers & probably more that I did not manage to find. The shuttle bus to the beach club was regular but you still had to walk across a bridge to get to the club. I found the entertainment to be average and comparable with a lot of hotels I have previously stayed in, I must say I did expect it to be better.
Drinks - you always had to queue for these, something I did not like and ended up having water a lot as the queues were sometimes quite long with only 1 person serving. Food, well this was the downside for us, yes there was always something you could eat and after 2 or 3 journeys to the buffet I managed to find something to eat albeit it not what I would choose to eat on one plate and it was usually luke warm. We ended up eating outside the hotel for many of our meals. I would like to know why there were sometimes queues to be seated for your meal when the restaurant was half empty and you could not choose your own seats??
The hotel is between Benalmadena and Fuengirola but not close enough to walk to either place where there is any 'life', we hired a car and would recommend this to anyone who does not want to be limited to the hotel for their stay.
Overall this is a nice hotel, efficiently run with polite and friendly staff. The facilities available are 2nd to none and although the food did not suit us, the restaurant had a good selection of food that was quickly replenished, I would recommend that they have an additional chef & cooking station for cooking omelettes for breakfast and meat/fish at lunch/dinner. I would have liked to see a roast being carved off the bone.
If you have children there is plenty for them to do and I forgot to mention there was always a free sunbed by the pool area if you wanted one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the same floor as reception are quiet
1 Thank phillybuster
JOSEFA C, Gerente at Holiday Polynesia, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear phillybuster,

Many thanks for taking the time and leaving us your feedback.
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our hotel.
We take on board all comments and use them to help improve future services.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My partner & i stayed here for a week beginning 15th September 2013. The hotel is absolutely stunning. All rooms are suites which are luxurious & come with a small kitchenette containing a fridge, microwave, kettle & toaster. The food was fantastic - so much choice that there was something for everyone. We were all inclusive & were extremely happy with what was included. The staff were all friendly & very helpful. I had been a bit worried before arriving after reading some of the reviews complaining about the accommodation & food but soon found that they were unfounded. The hotel resort is primarily catered for families, especially the early evening entertainment, but when we went there the main holiday season was coming to an end so there wasn't the loads of children running around which had been mentioned in some other reviews. During our stay quite a few Spanish families arrived & we are saddened to stay that the only badly behaved children we saw were English. We booked this holiday for some very much needed rest & relaxation & we got plenty of both. For those of you who like to explore there are loads of excursions available & Fuengirola is only a few minutes away by bus. We didnt do any excursions this time however we did visit the Beach Club & found it excellent fun for us "big" kids too!!!!. We plan to come again next year

2 Thank c s
Dear c s,

We are very pleased to hear that we have pleased you.

Your kind words will be passed on to the entire team as we are sure they will be happy to hear them.

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule and leaving us your feedback.

We hope to see you here again very soon.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Hotel Los Patos Park
Hotel & Spa Benalmadena Palace
Sol Principe
Sol Principe
#14 of 71 in Torremolinos

Been to Holiday Polynesia? Share your experiences!