“Top marks!”

Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Herts.
“Top marks!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Just bank from a long weekend at this amazing hotel. To begin with, the Polynesian decor is beautiful, complete with a turtle lake and an aviary. The apartments are comfortable and clean and since the hotel was full, we were upgraded to a spectacular sea view which was instantly relaxing. The Halloween theme ran throughout the weekend, from the sumptious, well-varied food with imaginative spooky names to the activities for kids. The mini club felt very safe and I had to fill in a form giving details about the kids and the entry door was controlled by the monitors (not always my experience at other hotels). This gave the adults an opportunity to relax at the lovely Spa. Make sure you go and book the spa if the hotel is busy as otherwise you won't get in. We were not informed of this and as soon as I raised this with the very efficient and friendly Manager (Magail), the issue was immediately and politely resolved. Lovely outdoor pool and creatively decorated minigolf area. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms obviously amazing. If you get a mountain side view in the winter, you won't get...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have just returned from Hotel Polynesia last week(31/10/13) for a fortnight, I have two children 8 & 14. We had a lovely time and would be happy to visit again or recommend to others.
Location
I read in previous reviews that the 'hotel was in the middle of know where' I have to honest I disagree. There is free bus that takes you up and down the hill from the hotel to the main road, which you are on for about 3 mins.This bus does a continious lap all day from 10-6. You can then catch a local bus that takes you either to fuengirola or bellamadena.With stopping at bus stops this takes 10/15 mins each way. These are pretty much the first two main stops but you can stay on to go further down the coast line.
At the time we stayed there was quite a few disabled groups who where using wheelchairs to get about, this suggested to me that location and the hotel facilities caused no issues.
No probelm with this at all, lots to choose from,even the fussiest of eaters would find something. Not always piping hot but never cold or even luke warm.Local dishes to try and some dishes geared towards the Brits. Lots of salad options also. We went out of season so we had the main restaurant to choose from for breakfast/lunch & tea with an additional two other restaurants Chinese & Polynesian a la carte.These two where very nice, but had to be booked in advance when you are at the hotel, and are part of your all inclusive package for 1 visit to each one each week you are staying. The chinese cooking a little odd as you choose what you would like to be stir fried veg/ meat/ fish etc and this is then boiled in one pot before being stirfried in a sauce of your choice.
There was an additional food bar by the side of the pool area which served food all day from pastries,salads,sandwiches, the failthfull chicken nugget & chips and pizza! Great for kids who want to nibble thro day.
Hotel
The hotel is spotless and is constantly being cleaned. We had clean towells every day and beds made. All the staff are very polite and willing to please everywhere we went, wether it be in the restaurants, bar, poolside. There is a cinema, hairdressers, kids club, shop and very nice spa . The spa is an extra cost of 5 euro and additional treatments you will need to pay extra for. You can pay for a room safe and there is also an additional cost for WIFI.
Enertainment
This in my opiniom was typical holiday entertainment, you know what your going to get before you arrive. These hotels have to cater for everyone and it is down to you as an individual wether it is to your taste or not. If you don't like it don't go!
Overall this was a lovely relaxing holiday, I am not sure I would have enjoyed as much in Summer season as I would imagine it would be very busy.Again it depends on what you want from your holiday. It seemed to cater for lots of families but there were also couples young and old enjoying all that was to offer.

4 Thank Helen S
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have used travel advisor reviews many times when booking my own trips but this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a rewiew of my own. I let my kids, 9 and 11 years of age, choose the hotel and laughed when the vote was unanimous for Holiday Polynesia. It's tivoli atmosphere with elephant statues in the pool, a bowling ally in the hotel, games room, and Polynesian style decor wasn't exactly what I would have selected, however it was Kids Choice for the last two days of our 9 day October holiday. I figured that I had a pretty good idea of what to expect as we have stayed in all inclusive resorts before.
We arrived at the hotel and were all impressed by the grand lobby. Given that it was off-season, there were few guests staying at the hotel which created an erie dead feeling in all parts of the hotel. I can imagine that in peak season the feeling would be quite different. Also, the weather was cloudy so the hotel was wuite dark and cold but again, these are factors beyond the control of the hotel.
Check-in went smoothly. Not particlularly friendly but not rude either. All business. After paying a deposit for our TV remote control and a deposit for our beach towels (I guess that people steal these things?) we went to our room which was on the first floor directly above reception. At first I didn't like the location but given the enormity of this hotel I soon realised it was convenient being closer to the ammenties. Our room was big and clean and the bathroom in particular was very nice and roomy. We had a bedroom, sitting room and kitchenette.
We went directly to lunch in the main dining room. The food, even for a family style buffet which isn't great t the best of times, was horrible. I can honestly say that this was the worst buffet I had ever tasted. Even the "fresh" food that they were bringing out directly from the kitchen was cold or had that consistency of something that had been sitting around for a good while. I am NOT a picky eater and even enjoy airplane food but this stuff was barely edible. Mynkids even rejected the dessert table, or should I say they loaded up on desserts and after trying one bite of 5-6 different desserts simply gave up. We then elected for the snack bar by the pool, but the food here looked even worse. It sat around all afternoon with the only takers being flies and wasps. We tried the buffet a couple of times but then elected to eat in town instead, even though we had paid for all our meals.
The hotel also has a policy of booking earlier in the day if you want to eat at the a la carte restaurant. I can absolutely understand this policy if the hotel is full, however on this particular night the restaurant was all but empty so instead of tolerating the buffet I asked if we could instead eat at the restaurant. Yes, was the answer, provided I was willing to pay extra for the meal. Huh?? The restaurant was empty, and it was included in our all-inclusive plan. I asked if I could go up to reception and make a reservation and then come back. Yes, I could come back tomorrow.
Another frustration was that I had a headache and wanted to buy aspirin. Well, they don't sell aspirin at the hotel and I was told to take the bus into town to buy them. Thankfully the girl in the gift shop took pity on me and gave me to aspirin from her own purse. Headache disappeared within a half an hour and I was ready to play minigolf with the kids. This was fun despitemthenfact that the course Is completely unkept and rundown. This surprised me as The hotel is only 4 years old. The same applied to the table tennis equipment. Broken paddles and equipment bag. Not a big deal, but then again not a big deal to replace either.
My summary of this hotel is that this hotel sounds good but doesn't deliver. The atmosphere is cold and empty, the food is terrible, the all-inclusive isn't really all inclusive as you have to pay deposits for everything and pay for the pool table, bowling ally, etc. There is minigolf, but it is rundown. There is table tennis, but the equipment is faulty. There is a beach club, however they dont have any towels down there. There is a games room, but everything costs a euro or two and the guy running the room doesn't carry any change.
I would rate thisnhotel 3 star if you don't take the all-inclusive, and would look elsewhere if you are thinking of an all-inclusive.
The one positive thing about this hotel is the great kids club staff. Really warm and friendly and a real hit with the kids.

7 Thank hubie01
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We were very impressed with the standard of the hotel. The Junior suites were prefect for our family having the separate bedroom. They were always cleaned, beds made and floors swept and mopped daily.
The Kids mini disco was enough entertainment for us with 2 small children so cannot comment on what goes on in the evening.
Our 6 year old loved the kids club and would rather be in there than the very cold swimming pool. we used the Spa pool once as you have to pay for anymore than that.
We had 3 days of rain out of the week, so very little we could outside. The kids club wouldn't let our 2 year old in as it was 3+. We even asked if we could accompany him and were told due to security etc we couldn't.
The Beach club is very good facility although it was very cold water, it was early in the year (April) so probably not had much sun on it. The Hotel pool was also cold.
The Food was good, lots of choice some strange options, like vegetable stew with fried eggs on. But none the less we always found something good to eat. And the Choc fountain twice a week was a winner for the children.
The staff were courteous and helpful especially when we needed to see a Dr. The hotel is quite a way from any local shops etc but the bus runs from just outside or there are always taxis waiting.
The hotel is very impressive and is situated in a gated complex with 3 other hotels. We would have loved to go back in 2014 but the prices have risen so much sadly we can't afford to.

Room Tip: If you have a pushchair ask for a low floor room otherwise you wait a long time for lifts
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sunseaandswim
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I have booked this hotel next year and I am really looking forward to it. However, it is a bit disappointing that the hotel manager doesn't seem to answer some of the negatives and nearly every managers comment is exactly the same. Please make an effort to answer the queries as the people are who make an effort to give your hotel good ratings on trip advisor. I will be reading reviews with baited breath.

Stayed October 2013
5 Thank BainyM
JOSEFA C, Gerente at Holiday Polynesia, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear BainyM,

Your opinion is highly appreciated; however, although I do respect it, I cannot share it, as my usual practice whenever we receive a negative comment, is to express my outlook of the situation whilst endeavouring to take the appropriate action for any improvement which may be necessary. In the case of positive comments from satisfied customers, we acknowledge our sincere appreciation, as this is what motivates us to continue to improve on a day to day basis.

We hope to welcome you in the future.

Josefa Corbacho
Hotel Manager
North West England
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Since booking this we have read review after review which left us feeling a little nervous about our trip. However this place is excellent and far exceeded our expectation. Rather than say all the things that have been said before I'd like to try and put right some of the misconceptions that other reviews may have given.

However it is worth pointing out we travelled at the end of the season and the hotel was very quiet. Therefore some of my views may not be as relevant when the hotel is full, especially in high season.

Firstly this is NOT an adults only hotel. So those reviews that complained about noise from entertainment/kids/music etc should be discounted as children and the noise they bring are to be expected here. The noise level around the pool was fine.

GENERAL
Arrived and got booked in within 5 minutes. Staff very friendly and helpful. Reception area of hotel is grand and always clean. Loads of photo opportunities with the birds, turtles and fish.

FOOD
Never had the same meal twice. Side dishes such as chips, rice etc appear every meal but potato dishes were always different. Food was warm and plentiful and the desserts were excellent. Every meal there was something on offer at the grill whether it was omelettes at breakfast or fresh meat at lunch/dinner. This was cooked to order whilst you waited. Sometimes there was a small queue but nothing outrageous. Snack bar was always well stocked especially with ice cream for the little ones. No issues getting drinks.

Ate in both Chinese and Polynesian restaurants. Chinese was nice. Very much like a a Mongolian restaurant in uk. Choose your meat and veg, take it to chef who cooks it in a wok with sauce of your choice. Polynesian was ok but to be honest would have preferred the have just gone in the buffet.

DRINK
All inclusive allows you the local drinks, but the lager was nice. Never tried the wine however. Only the pool bar and ukulele pub were open which saw the odd queue. Generally fairly quick to get served. Even got cocktails.

ROOM
Clean, tidy and well maintained. Not enough towels when we first arrived but sorted within 30 mins after quick trip to reception. You have to pay extra for safe and a deposit for tv. However last day was cloudy so the Disney channel came in handy to keep little one entertained for an hour or so.
Also got the wifi. We were on floor 5 and couldn't have been further from reception however got perfect coverage in room, by pool and even got some at beach club. I would suggest those who struggled to use wifi need to look at their device as opposed to the hotels router.
If you ask for a quiet room they will give you one facing hill which is still quite scenic. And very quiet!

BEACH CLUB
Again well maintained and clean. Plenty of life guards on duty. Bus running from hotel to beach club every 10 mins. I think the people complaining about the hill need to stay away from the desserts! It was a 10 min walk if you didn't want to wait for the bus. Slides and wave pool only open 3 days a week and you had to hire a rubber ring for €20 so we gave that a miss. We spent the €20 on the VIP area. Well worth it.

SPA
Pleasant alternative to the pool. Lovely and clean. Cost was €5 per person which was a bit steep however for a change from the pool it was ok. Kids spa is just one shallow pool with a few jets.

ENTERTAINMENT
Probably the poorest part of the hotel. All the entertainment took place in the ukulele disco which felt claustrophobic and didn't offer a great view from most places due to pillars. Entertainment itself was pretty dull, just felt very flat. Hotel could really improve on this however they are trying to cater for a huge variety of people so they are trying to be as middle of the road as possible.

KIDS CLUB
Free to all inclusive for kids 3-12. Little one is 8 and loved it. Staff really friendly.
Cinema showing 3 films a day but not always in English.
Arcade was what you would expect. €1 for most games and had the usual air hockey etc. Bowling was €3 per person and was ok.

SHOP
Well stocked but overpriced as you would expect for a hotel based outlet.

LOCAL AREA
Hotel not central to anywhere however taxis and buses available at bottom of hill. Beach 15 mins walk away and you can walk all the way to Fuengirola.

Overall an excellent hotel which met and exceeded our expectation.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Darlojay
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is an outstanding hotel. Very clean and tidy. We went as a family of 4.. 2 adults & 2 children aged 6&4. We all had a perfect holiday from 6/10/13 - 13/10/13. Weather was lovely. Everything was great except some of the restaurant staff never smiled but cant really blame them being at work in a hot country when everyone else is relaxing. Food as lovely especially the Wok restaurant, it was amazing. The mini disco on a night for kids was really good. From the moment my children woke up that's all they were asking for. They really enjoyed themselves as the staff were really good with them. We mostly stayed on complex, we went down to beach club once but couldn't eat down there as they had stopped doing the food in October so we had to go back to hotel for our lunch. Overall this is a fantastic hotel, We really enjoyed ourselves & would definitely return. Were also thinking about booking up for the Holiday Village down the hill as they have a lot more stuff on for children. Great for a family holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 054 on reception level. I would recommend this room to people who have small child...
3 Thank michele s
JOSEFA C, Gerente at Holiday Polynesia, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear michele s,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our hotel.

It is a pleasure for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We have taken on board your comments and these will be passed on to the various departments who may be interested.

We hope to see you here again very soon.

Josefa Corbacho
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Holiday Palace
#15 of 71 in Torremolinos
Hotel Best Benalmadena
Hotel Best Benalmadena
#13 of 45 in Benalmadena

Been to Holiday Polynesia? Share your experiences!