“All style, no substance” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Polynesia

Holiday Polynesia
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Vancouver
“All style, no substance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

As stated, the hotel is impressive to drive up to and to walk into. But then you check in. Friendly enough staff but provide little personality to the place. One pet peeve, charging a deposit of 10 Euro for the TV remote control. Feels like I am in a cheap hostel so it is an immediate turn off. Then internet was very expensive. Probably so people don't go to Tripadvisor to review the hotel or look for other ones.
It is far from any restaurants and the ones there are very expensive. But on a positive note they have birds! There is also a rumour of a turtle.
The rooms were fine. Clean enough and functional enough. Really it would not be that hard to find something better on this stretch of coast. From the sounds of it the full holiday package hotel might be ok but certainly not for a one night stay.
Bring your own TV remote and food!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thatcraigguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Polish first
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have recently returned from this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed. Yes it is a fair way from the resort, however that also means peace! We stayed in room 42 a very modern large suite, complete with a whirlpool bath on the garden size balcony, which was well worth the money and frankly made the holiday for us. A couple of tiny niggles occurred which were sorted out immediately by a lovely gentleman (who also drives the hotel shuttle bus). The check-in process was a little long, however the ladies on reception were so friendly and polite (despite being under pressure). The food was lovely, something for everyone. Take advantage of the daily free excursions. Would love to return, pennies and work schedules permitting. Don't hesitate to book the Polynesia and please don't listen to the negative reviews, in our experience the staff did their level best to make our stay amazing.

Room Tip: Room 42, sea view and whirlpool bath!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caddog
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We just returned from a relaxing winter break at the Holiday Polynesia.

We went self catering, I wanted to highlight this as it was in hindsight a bit of an error. The hotel is rather isolated from anywhere and it was impossible to just go for a stroll and find restaurants etc. It was very expensive for us to eat in the hotel restaurant (24.50 euros adult and 14.50 for kids for either lunch or dinner at the buffet restaurant).

So I cooked all our meals. This was fine, but I was rather envious of the all inclusive folk eating what looked like yummy food.

Our pots were washed for us though, never come across this before in self catering was delighted.

The staff at the hotels are wonderful. Very professional and frendly. My 4 year old went in the kids club (an extra charge if not all inclusive but only 5 euros well worth it). Its a wonderful kids club. Lovely staff, lovely facilties my daughter loved it.

I loved our room, apart from the two sleepless nights thanks to idiots in the room above who thankfully checked out just as I went to ask for a room move. The staff did apologize for this, it wasn't their fault though.

In fact, I loved the hotel generally. My daughter loved looking at the turtles and fish, we had nice strolls around the hotel at night. We played bowling and air hockey in the arcades every night too, my daughter says this is the best holiday she ever had.

I really would recommend the hotel, its something different, and I bet its fantastic in the summer when everything is open. In the winter its perfect for some peace and quiet, somewhere just to go and relax. I'd go again no problem and indeed may just do that (but all inclusive next time :) )

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Marie B
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at hotel Polynesia, benalmedia between 16/02/14 and 24/02/14 and stayed in room 328.

Location-

Hotel Polynesia is about a 20 min transfer from the Malaga airport. It's on the border of benalmadea and feugerola. Its on top of a hill, but to us we didn't think it was a steep climb.
There is a running railway line about 2 meters from the solarium (back of the hotel) and a train goes by every hour, but by Monday you don't even know it's there as your are used to it.
Hotel Polynesia is 60 min walk or 10 min taxi ride (€10) to the centre of benalmadea, (which we highly recommend). And 20 min walk to feugerola.
If you like to go out and about and not stay on the complex, then this isn't for you as it is right in the middle of nowhere, which is a shame.

Reception/entrance/check in-

As you enter the hotel Polynesia, it takes your breath away, as it looks beautiful. They recreated a Polynesian feel, that works great. There's an Avery and a turtle park, but we didn't see any turtles.
We travelled at half term, so the hotel was busy and check took 40 minutes, as there was only 2 members of reception staff available (a theme which is echoed everywhere).
We were then given a room where the previous occupants hadn't left (check out is 12, and we arrived at 1100ish) which as you can imagine quite embarrassing. We then had to queue again and join the queue that had not decreased at all. I think a Spanish couple had the same problem as after speaking to them the lady called us forward after seeing us in the queue. She then gave us a sea view upgrade with out asking, which was great customer service.

Hotel facilities-

The hotel is triangular shaped and is is on 8 floors. Floors 1-5 and ground are the rooms and floors -1&-2 are the hotel facilities.
Floors 1-5 have a travel lodge feel room after room with no decoration and the Polynesian feel goes away abit.
The rooms are lovely and the bath room is done to a high spec. There's a safe (chargeable), TV (where the remote is chargeable and has 3 English subtitled channels) and a kitchen area. Wifi is chargeable daily in both the room and around the hotel.
The ground floor and floors -1& -2 are where this hotel excels and continues its theme. It looks beautiful, 3 restaurants (only 1 used due to off season), shop, casino (closed), cinema (closed), disco (closed) outdoor pool, indoor heated pool (€5 an hour or €25 a day per person), sunbeds, games room, bowling area and a very nice piano bar. I can imagine in the summer this to be the amazing.
There are plenty of lifts to get around the hotel and is equipped for any mobility needs or assistance. Well done for this Polynesia as many hotels forget this.

Food, drinks and all inclusive-

All inclusive runs from 0900 to 2300 which is great. Wide variety of local drinks and 5 cocktails to choose from.
However all inclusive doesn't mean all inclusive here. You can pay an added premium per day for branded drinks and for an advertised 4.5T/4* hotel I think is unacceptable.
The food is plentiful and delicious. It's basically around the clock. Breakfast 0740/1030, snacks 1100/1330, lunch 1330/1600, pastries 1700/1800 dinner 1830/2130.
The quality is superb and the variety is fine. The do push the boat out with the food as we have English (back)bacon and English sausages, which I have never seen before in a European hotel before.
I cannot fault the food at all. Well done Polynesia for this.

Entertainment-

This is where the hotel fails BIGTIME.
There is a kids club which is great but that's it. On Sunday and Monday we had cold weather and everything was cancelled. They have no cold weather contingency plan here. For example they could of opened up the cinema etc, make use of the indoor pool and so on.
I know it's winter and we're going to Spain, so I don't expect hot weather but no entertainment was put on with out spending money at the hotel.
In the evening there is a piano bar with a different person playing daily which is brilliant and we loved it. However that is it. So by Wednesday it was stale and the same songs were being played but by different people.
The water park/beach club across the road is closed, I understand the water park being closed as the water is cold but open the beach bar. And as such we had nothing to do on Monday.

The staff are hardworking, funny, have a very good knowledge of English and excel at customer service. However there are far too few of them. Yes again I know it's off season but we travelled at half term and I think management used the same amount of staff for previous weeks. Surely they could see there busy with the reservations list this week! Queues were a familiar sight anywhere. This wasn't a staff fault but a management issue

Thompson rep

There is no thompson rep here (as it's so far out of the way) but just a board put up with information and a number if you need them. Maybe in peak season there might but if your travelling soon, don't expect a rep.

Overall

We had a great relaxing time at this hotel and the staff made sure we enjoyed our stay.
However I don't think this hotel knows what it is. Is it a very good 3* with chargeable amenities? Or an average 4*? (in that case up the service staff and all facilities should be for free) or a poor 5*? (facilities for free, all inclusive meaning all inclusive and everything open all the time). I think the management need to decide one way or the other and make it great based on the star it gives itself.

For us it feels like a very good 3*, but they advertise this as 4* and thompson advertise this as 4.5T. For us it is certainly not the case (which is why we have given 3/5) but maybe in the summer it just may well be!

Hope it helps!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank GJ_Hughes
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Well what can I say. Do not hesitate to book this hotel, you won't be disappointed. Me and my girlfriend stayed here for our first abroad holiday together. Let's put it this way, we are planning our third stay here already. Every hotel we now look at just doesn't seem to compare.

As soon as you walk in, its like woah. Marble floor everywhere, you feel like a king here. When you walk into your room you instantly feel like money well spent. I could honestly live there.

Food is great, dont think i have ate so well in my life lol !!

Staff friendly, pool area is great and entertainment satisfactory.

Connected to this hotel is an amazing beach club, this can be accessed by a short walk down the hill or jump on the free shuttle bus which is every 5 minutes, how good is that? When you walk into the beach club, well, there will be yet another 'woah' moment. The pictures just don't do this place justice, its amazing and probably the reason I want to go back again.

Look no further, book here and have great food, jaw dropping hotel with great staff and a free beach club with a further 4-5 pools to enjoy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Adamdavies
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We had booked a different hotel in May for a short AI Xmas break. A couple of days before we were told that hotel was closed and we needed to choose another. We chose the holiday palace but on arrival were advised by the security guards this was also closed so we would be put in the Polynesia. We had a fabulous time! The suite was beautiful, spacious very well appointed. Lovely sea views from the huge terrace. All the staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating. There was always something nice and tasty on the buffet. Pork chops and fish cooked to order at lunch time. Steaks at night. There was a really good chicken curry one lunch time. Xmas day wasnt partucluarly celebrated but having been to Spain for Xmas before we werent expecting it. Effort was made though with a really good pork carvery, Extra Xmas table of desserts and a huge cheeseboard. Would we go again? Absolutely but not in high season as we doubt the facilities could handle any more than the number of guests that were there (we would guess the hotel was less than half full) we were more than happy with our stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jayneykul
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Was here over Christmas 2013 (my Wife and I)
First impressions of the Hotel when you walk through the main entrance is WOW!!!!.
Its looks stunning and is massive!.
2 weeks before we traveled I upgraded to a suite with sea view, this included a Jacuzzi on our balcony.
Checking in was OK though, we were allocated a standard suite first, but after I produced my paperwork proving I had upgraded, we were given a suite room.

Room:
The Suite was very nice, it was spacious, and fairly clean (could have done with dusting), there were 2 large LED TVs, full kitchen, beautiful bathroom, very nice bedroom with 2 good sized beds, our balcony was massive with the Jacuzzi and 4 sunbeds plus table and 4 chairs, there was also a bottle of bubbly and fruit waiting for us.

Food: ( All inclusive)
There was only 1 restaurant open because of the time of year, but it was very large and always
lots of spare tables.
You are shown to a table and your drinks order taken, I must say that I was worried about the food before we went, after reading some reports about it, well I must say that the bad reports about the food are wrong!, there was always lots to choose from and always hot!, there was also a chef working at a live grill every mealtime (including breakfast), so you could have meat, fish or eggs cooked in front of you.
The all inclusive snacks were pretty good too.

Drinks:
Only 1 bar open and it got pretty full on an evening, (so get your seats early).
Bar service was fairly slow but very friendly staff!!.
Drinks were good and mostly international brands, which you normally don't get with all inclusive!.

Location:
Not great, not to far from a beach though, nearest place is Fuengirola which is a good walk away!
Hotel is situated up a high hill, though there is a courtesy bus that takes you to and from the hotel door to the main road.

Hotel amenities:
Pool is very nice, though it was winter and didn't use it, kiddies pool, Spa is very nice and you get 2 free hour sessions, there is a cinema room, large bar, very large entertainment room, reading room, launderette, games room with full size ten pin bowling ! ( small cost to play) loads of pool tables.
I must say that the evening entertainment was bad, though this is nothing new about Spanish hotels.

Over all;
I loved my holiday here, it was Christmas and we were lucky with the weather, we only had one cold rainy day unlike the UK lol.
The location is a bit of a problem if you don't like walking, we do so it was fine, we even walked into Torremolinos one day (was a long way though lol)
The Hotel is Stunning!! the staff are wonderful and the food is great.
I am so pleased we upgraded our room the Jacuzzi was a real treat and couldn't imagine staying here again with out the hot tub! :) ( though the standard suite rooms are also amazing!!)
I know people have different standards and expectations about hotels and I am one of those who like a good standard, I have traveled quite a lot and and I am fairly fussy about hotels, well I must say that i was very happy with this one, I think it will be even better in the summer when the hotels other restaurants are open and also there is a water park attached to the Holiday world complex that you can use in the warmer months!.

I am already thinking about booking the same holiday for next Christmas!
Go to this hotel and have a fab time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple