“Great family holiday”

Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Great family holiday”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked this holiday for 2 adults and a 3 year old and returned last Friday. The facilities were fantastic, everything you could think of was available. The Beach Club, which is all part of the Holiday World complex (which contains 3 other hotels) is brilliant, with all ages catered for. Our 3 year old loved the water fountains and shallow pools.. Bars were easily accessible as were the toilets. To get to the Beach Club, the hotel complex runs a shuttle bus every 15 minutes which was great if you were staying at the Holiday Palace hotel as it went there first but was full when it came across to hotel Polynesia so we ended up walking down. There is no beach with the hotel but around a 10 minute walk from the beach club there is a lovely beach with a great bar, the beach area is maintained by Maria and is 4.5 euros per sun bed and the bar is Cubana.. great food and cocktails!!

Within the hotel complex, there is a large pool, which was noisy with children and loud music playing everywhere from 10am. The kids club was very good, with an indoor soft play and outdoor playground. Activities were well organised. The toilets were often smelling bad in the afternoon near the pool.. Although there are plenty of sunbeds, many people had reserved 5 or 6 of them with towels and not turning up for several hours. This needs to be stopped as very unfair.

The entertainment was on average poor, mostly consisting of animal displays and then photos of people being taken with the animals and charging a ridiculous 30 euros for 2 photos! The hypnotist was good though. Music was also far too loud too.. The entertainment over the two weeks was the same in week one and two which was obviously very dull.

The hotels are lovely, very spacious with a large sofa bed for the child. Definite disappointment was the bed. There were the most uncomfortable I had ever slept on and were 2 3/4 doubles pushed together so felt we were sleeping in separate beds as had separate sheets.. Many nights we wished to be asleep at home!!! One night I think I slept for 3 hours as so uncomfortable. The bathroom was lovely too with a separate shower and bath and twin sinks. Balconies are very spacious too.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for families but steer clear if you want a quiet, relaxing holiday as it is definitely not that!!

Room Tip: Definitely avoid booking over the pool or the entertainment as you won't get any sleep! Best to...
1 Thank Annabel B
DireccionPolynesia, Manager at Holiday Polynesia, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear customer,
Thank you very much for send us your extensive review. We are sorry to hear that there were several aspects you weren`t happy with it.
We will use all the comments you made to improve our services.
However, we are happy to read that you had a great holiday and we hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Polish first
Wales
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Well where do I start, just returned from the polynesia after a 11 night stay with Thomson! Hotel was jaw dropping, so many beautiful photos and memories! This hotel is completely focused on the children, if you do not have kids then I don't think it would suit you....We were in room 222 which was directly above the theatre and yes entertainment was on until 11:45pm but the noise was fine, we used to watch from the balcony! My 9 year old says it's his best holiday and we have travelled a lot! Transfers and checkin was fine, exactly as u would expect! Thomson on hand at all times! Busy periods u may have to queue for drinks but you are literally talking minutes, never an issue! Room and hotel was cleaned all the time! Staff in all parts of the hotel always friendly! Entertainment staff brilliant with the kids! All of us made great friends on this holiday, food was plentiful and desserts were to die for! Beach club was amazing.... The only thing I would say is that I think small things cud be included in AI such as slush for the children and maybe a few goes on the trampolines as part of the package! We used the spa which was 5 euros, well worth it! All of our food was always hot, the wok restaurant delish, Thomson reps always on hand (Ryan was very helpful) Tips: Book the day before u go to the beach club for food, reserve both restaurants for their use! Take lots of euros for the kids to play bowling etc, pay 12 euros for wifi per week (excellent reception), pay deposit for safe 2.80 euro per day! Would Defo recommend this hotel and looking to return already! Thank you for a fantastic holiday to the hotel and Thomson x

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Nerys78
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel.
It is a pleasure to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to see again very soon and have the opportunity to welcome you personally.
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

9 of us with 3 children - 16, 9 & 4 yrs. My husband had his 60th b/day. The restaurant manager was very accommodating - birthday cake, champagne & staff singing Happy Birthday. Room space massive. 2 of us did have upset stomachs but I don't think you can blame it all on the food!
Children loved the pool areas - both at the hotel & the beach club area. Entertainment team worked tirelessly to offer fun & games. Pool life guards very professional.
I would certainly ignore all the negative comments. I like to thoroughly research what hotel, facilities & location my family & I Iike to stay at so that we are not disappointed.
Chin up Hotel Polynesia! We had a fab time!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 050 - 053. Much quieter.
2 Thank julie l
Dear Guest,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent holiday.
We are sorry to hear that you had small stomachs problems.
Thank you for leaving your review and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Regards,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Not very clean, dust all over bedroom floor you don't always see at first glance but if you drop item of clothing expect to pick back up covered in dust, wouldn't look under bed etc as again filthy. Halway floors also remained with dirt on all week glass banisters etc all with marks on. Very large hotel possibly think lack of cleanliness due to lack of staff. Food in main buffet resturant seemed good and lot of choice but we all ended up ill with upset stomachs or sick at different pionts throughout the week. Only managed the 1 speciallity restaurant as agree with previous review difficult to book only open certain days and can only book certain times. Left after few mins at uri wok buffet food again with less choice and nothing labeled. Pools good but can be cold. 1st night ater 3am start put in very unsuitable room above entertainment my 3yr old didnt drop off till after 10pm, despite trying to put him down early and I was still awake at 12pm when the very loud music finially stoped. So be warned if you want early nights with young children to ensure you ask for a room away from entertainmend and possibly the pool as occasionally bands at pool, or go to a different hotel. Beds also very uncomfortable so dont expect good nights sleep at this hotel.

1 Thank helx2014
Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel.
We are sorry to hear that there were several aspects you weren`t happy with it.
We will use all the comments you made to improve our services.
Also, I do not want to miss the opportunity to comment you that we comply with all sanitary and hygienic standards and our satisfaction indexes obtained on our meals and the cleanliness of the hotel are very high every week from the general guest opinion.
I hope that in the future you and your family values to give us the opportunity to show our good work and our facilities in which we work every day to continuous improvement.
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

After reading some good and some poor reviews on here, thought I put in my tuppence worth. I'm still here with my wife and 4 yr old daughter, due to go home on Sunday after a 2 week holiday.
Firstly do NOT come here unless you have kids and are prepared to accept there will be a lot of kids at this hotel - and a lot of young kids too... If you are a couple wanting to have a relaxing break then look elsewhere.
The positives I agree with
Pretty clean and modern hotel - towels changed and room cleaned regularly - although not up to my wife's standards !!
Very family orientated - entertainment for kids good, games room, bowling, cinema and kids club ( although we weren't keen on being expected to leave our daughter there on her first visit so didn't use it again)
Food experience not the best but better than expected - full English available every day and choice of salads, meats etc. A tip to all those who may get the 'all inclusive enthusiasms' - if you pile your plate with every meat and fish available that night, then it might seem a little repetitive the following night..so go easy and eat normally !!
The Chinese was good - a bit like Jimmy Spice - pick your raw ingredients and take them to the chef who then cooks it for you. We went twice and enjoyed both occasions. We had no issues booking to go as you can book well in advance plenty of days before and even both visits if you wish.
Pool was good with plenty of entertainment during the day - some good and some ok - but you can't please everyone all the time.
Evening entertainment the same - kids mini disco at 8.30 and played the same music every night - but our daughter enjoyed this as she learnt the 'routines' and felt part of it in the 2nd week.
Went to the beach club on a few occasions - an easy walk to but there is also a free shuttle bus to take you there and back. If you go to hotel reception the day before you can get a lunch ticket to use the buffet restaurant at the beach club - but it can be a bit chaotic in there !!
We also hired a car for the day so the hotel prepared each of us a packed lunch - just ask at reception the day before.
The hotel is part of Holiday Villiage and on top of a hill but those saying it is too far away from anything don't know what they are talking about - we caught the bus to both Benalmadena and also took ourselves to the Bioparc in Fuengirola. Both bus trips cost €1.65 each each way and daughter went free - and the buses are better than most back at home.
I've seen some comments about poor UK TV - rubbish !! Just finished watching Glastonbury and now catching up on the Wimbledon. Sky News, Ch 4, BBC and ITV programmes have been available.
I agree with some comments about snacks - nothing available after dinner ie late supper snack and also drinks in your room fridge are not free - but if you want a drink in your room, then go to the Piano Bar and ask for a large drink to take away...we were regularly given vodka and tonic in a pint glass !! And even red wine in a pint glass - chic ? No - but you're on holiday so who cares !!?? Just pour it into the glasses in your room if you want to
A lot of Spanish holiday here and yes, they can be rude - so ignore them and have a laugh with your fellow Brit - we are the majority here !!
Lastly I agree with comments about the reps not being great - the most 'experienced' one has been here for only a few months and all 3 don't look old enough to drink yet !!
Most importantly, do I feel as though the 3 of us have had a relaxing 2 weeks with plenty of laughs along the way ?? Damn right !!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Steve C
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel.
It is a pleasure to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to see again.
London
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel polynesia is the most wonderful hotel! Every one of the staff were awesome, from reception to the pool entertainers to the maids! Every inch of the hotel Is immaculate and the pool is such a nice place with a stunning view of the med! Although the location isn't great there wasn't really the need to go out of the hotel! There is a bus stop outside the resort witch is about a half hour journey in to the town or marina! Taxis are very good and reliable out there! This was my second year of going! Such a amazing hotel!

Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Nick_Horton1
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time and leaving us your feedback.
Your kind words towards our staff will be shared with them as they will be pleased to hear such positive feedback.
We hope that you consider us again for third time.
Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have just got back from my stay at the Polynesia hotel and I feel absolutely relaxed and I want to go back!
The check in had a new procedure we were informed by the very helpful reps. This was fast and we were given a booklet with all information in which we needed to know about the hotel, such as where the amazing animals are, I personally love the turtles.
The restraunt was brilliant for me and my family, we understood it was a buffet restraunt and sometimes the food isn't as hot as a sit down one but it was still yummy! When you stay for a week like we did you have two tickets for the other two resteraunts to use. I absolutely loved this. The alacarte was my absolute fave!
The pool has excellent entertainment around it and even the reps got involved... After they'd been thrown in!
The rooms were very clean and cleaned every day anyway, all facilities are clean and well looked after in the amazing hotel!
Check out was quick and fast, the reps posted a note under our door to let us know when we were leaving and I cannot fault the rep service.

I can not stress how helpful one of the reps Lucy was, she was an absolute pleasure. Anything we wanted she would have done for us within a matter of hrs if she couldn't do it there and then, seeing her walk around the pool or just around the hotel with a smile on her face brightened our holiday up and she was excellent with the children.

Overall I loved my stay at the Polynesia and I would definitely go back, I'm saving the pennies as we speak!

5 Thank Alice P
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feedback about our hotel.
It is a pleasure to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind words towards our entertaiment team will be shared with them.