“not an english holiday”

Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Widnes, United Kingdom
“not an english holiday”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

spent a week at this hotel 23-30th sep with my partner and two children aged 10 and 2. Initially I had tried to book the first choice holiday villiage which is also on the same complex and the thomson holiday polynesia which is also on the same complex, all are part of holiday world, but as it was last minute was unable to get a booking. After reading the mixed reviews I thought it was people just being picky, ITS NOT!!!
The hotel itself is quite nice, the rooms are clean and are cleaned each day with fresh towels, the food was very average, most things were fish in sauce and chicken in sauces, there was a salad bar and dessert bar also but hardly anything for the kids apart from very cheap burgers, sausage and nuggets. The pool bars were not open as it was now not in season and snacks which consisted of the kids leftover burgers etc were 12-1 and 4-7. At this complex all hotels have use of the beach club which is pools and a couple of slides but was told when we arrived that the all inclusive was only deinks and not food as specified when I booked this holiday. This then meant having to go back to the hotel which was right at the top of the hill(although bus was provided).
The entertainment in this hotel only run from thursday to sunday and was all in spanish which was ok for the 90% of spanish people staying there, but no attempt was made to even repeat it in English, although the staff here were very nice. This holiday was advertised also when booking listing all the facilities of the other two holtels such as resteraunts and kids clubs which you cannot use any of there faciliies apart from go and watch their shows, but then you are unable to get a drink as they have different colour wristbands.
sorry that this email is quite long but I just wouldnt want another family to be dissapointed like we were, I would reccomend to book either of the thomson or first choice hotels on the complex tho from what I did see.

5 Thank danielle b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Potters Bar, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Hotel = Fabulous, decorated beautifully. Mainly Spanish guests, not so much English guests, but the staff speak English.

Rooms = Fabulous, great views, clean, good size, modern TV (HDMI input, great for iPad video out),

Restaurant = We were not all inclusive, and I'm so glad we did not pay the expensive extra fee as it's just not worth it. Eating at the same place day-in day-out for 2 weeks.... no way. Buffet food was of average quality and so was the sangria, was more like a fanta. Non inclusive guests have to pay 22 euros each for a buffet meal.

Swimming Pool = We have two children and the swimming pool was perfect for them, nice and shallow and plenty of space to splash around. Not the place for adults to swim properly, its more for fun.

Beach Club = Outstanding, fantastic. All the holiday world hotels have access to the beach club, which is pretty much a water park and it's so much fun. Plenty of space, multiple pools, caves, water slides, the lot. There is a bus that circles the holiday world hotels every 10 mins, with the last run being at 6pm.

Entertainment = Lousy entertainment, no where near the standard of the Village or Polynesia holiday world hotels. You could feel the base of the Polynesia sound system from the Palace, it looked and sounded awesome. The Palace has a tiny stage and pitiful sound system. There is also a Piano bar with entertainment, which again was lousy, no atmosphere what so ever, wanted to go to sleep.

Activities = Plenty of activities for the Kids and Adults, was great fun. Water-polo was a right laugh.

Location = Not ideal, but fantastic for the view and if you're planning on staying put for the entire holiday. We were not all-inclusive, so we went to the towns every single night for dinner and night-life. At the bottom of the longggggg hill (which you've got to walk up and down past 6pm) there is a bus stop, with buses passing by every 30 mins until approx. 11pm. You can go either way, one to Benalmadena (last stop Torremolinos) or the other way to Fuengirola. Bus ticket is approx. 1.5 Euro per adult. Taxi fares are in zones, there not done by the meter. Taxi from the port in Benalmadena to Holidayworld was approx 12 Euro. All in all in 14 days, for 2 adult and 2 kids, I spent approx 60 euros on bus fares (children were free) and 250 Euros on Taxi's (Taxi from Malaga airport to Holiday world is 30 Euros). We always got the bus in the evening to take us to a town and then a taxi home. There is only one local restaurant/beach bar by the holiday world complex, which was fantastic, right at the bottom of the hill you turn left and keep on the right hand side of the road, the road tappers off to the right down the hill were you can go to the beach, and it's right there, definitely recommend, jug of Sangria for 6 euro, awesome. As you can tell, the location is not so good if you're planning on walking to different places, it's too far out, buses and taxis are a must (or car rental is you don't drink).

All in all, it was a great trip, Hotel was great but if I had my choice I would of preferred the Village, but RCI are only affiliated with the Place. Would visit again for a family holiday only, mainly for the kids.

6 Thank Timothy J
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We had the worst holiday ever virtually no kids entertainment as told it was vgood,in the middle of no where and the food was always luke warm which made me and our 2 kids very poorly rats running around pool and kids play area a total waste of money and we had to eat out as the all inclusive food was dangerous and often inedible.thebonly plus point was the water park.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Neilgpearson23

Travellers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Skåne
Reviewed 18 September 2012

From a kids perspective Holiday World is a paradise, there’s no doubt of that. The selection of activities and the beach club is perfect. No doubt about that.

From an adult perspective our stay was not that good. So our kids went to bed around 9-10 every night and after that we were looking forward to sit on the balcony and enjoy the night, have a glass of wine, snacks, talk and enjoy the view. But instead we ended up in entertainment hell, (literally). Our balcony was situated so that we had to listen to TWO DIFFERENT entertainments at the same time and it didn’t stop until midnight most days. They also insisted to play very loud so we could not use the balcony at all. Instead we had to be indoors with closed doors almost every night. Going to bed before midnight was not possible even if you were dead tired and just wanted to sleep. The entertainment was so loud so even with closed doors you could not sleep. I feel really bad for the poor families who live next to the hotel and who has to listen to the crap every single night. My suggestion is that they move the entertainment indoors around 10pm.

Besides the bad room the hotel is very nice with good pool. The free shuttlebus inside the area is good, every 10 minutes. The food during breakfast, lunch, dinner is ok. Huge selection of food, with different offerings every day. Tastewise it sometimes is not always a success. The meat can be a bit dry from time to time.

Perfect time is first half of June, after the middle of June it started to get a bit crowded.

** Some things I wished I knew before I arrived:
* The coffee tastes bad, bring your own instant coffee.
* No internet in the rooms, outside or at the beach club.
* The air-conditioner in the room sucked, it is loud and hard to tune to your liking. It’s also hard to get a comfortable air-flow during the night as its blowing against you in the bed.
* The kitchen in the room is ok.
* The have a gym but the room is pretty uninspiring
* If you like cheap cheesy night entertainment until midnight then its perfect!

To summarize, Holiday world is a great hotel if you:
• Like bingo in the evenings
• Like listen to outdoor crap music and entertainment until midnight every evening
• Sleep bad
• Are a kid, as the sugar food offering is excellent and the bathing opportunity is awesome
It’s disappointing if you:
• Expect to sleep before midnight
• Expect decent air-conditioner with comfort during the night
• Sit on the balcony before midnight

Holiday World Palace mission statement
Or things I wished I knew before I booked my stay
We take pride of making sure that our guest and neighbors will not be able to sleep by playing loud bad music until 23.30 every night. Guests should not be able to sit on the balcony during the evening to enjoy the silence and sound of the nature. Especially families with kids that wake up at 5-6 every morning should not be able to go to bed undisturbed before 23.30.
We make sure the coffee tastes funny to make sure people don’t drink it.
As proud sponsor by the Spanish sugar association we make sure that we serve as much sugar as possible during breakfast. The more sugar the better! Serving healthy alternatives should be hard to find.
We take pride of serving the worst possible food, by not keeping the warm food hot and by making sure the meat/chicken that we do serve is dry and tasteless. The more disappointed the guests are, the chance of them buying food in our good restaurants increases. Fine guests from the UK will be especially happy by the wide variety of crap and cookies that we serve, the unhealthier the better is our motto!
To waste as much energy we make sure the air-conditioner in the room is as crappy as possible, making it hard to get the room cold and hard to avoid the draft of it. The louder the better is our motto!
To make sure the guests don’t exercise we provide the most disappointing gym as possible. (Ps, a bathing cap on your heard is required in the spa. It’s a Spanish thingy)
We stop the free shuttle bus to make sure the guests do not leave the complex and discover real Spanish food (which is great btw).

To summarize, Holiday world is a great hotel if you:
• Like bingo in the evenings
• Like listen to outdoor crap music and entertainment until 23.30 every evening
• Have no desire to eat healthy and have no taste for good food
• Sleep bad

It’s disappointing if you:
• Expect the all-inclusive food to be good and healthy
• Expect to sleep before 23:30
• Expect decent air-conditioner with comfort

Room Tip: Ask for a room not against the other hotels, so a room facing west.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Andy J
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Fantastic. Really enjoyed it. Big sized room, big pool, great food, great people, 10am-12pm alcohol. Generally fantastic. Only slight criticism would be the fact that you had to pay for Wi-Fi. Food was out of this world. Breakfast in particular was a highlight! :D

Room Tip: 3rd floor i was on, was great.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CraigFairlie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Overall I would say it was OK, but it is a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

What was good: The food was good... I had read other reviews but to be honest I didn´t have any complaints considering we were eating buffet style. The food at the beach club at lunch is better than in the hotel. The rooms are spacious (we had a 1 bed junior suite). Comfortable beds, good kitchen and big bathroom with separate shower and bath ... great for 2 adults and 2 children. The beach club is a great idea and is a nice place to be, although I think I would get bored after more than 2 or 3 days there. Good mixture of water park style and plenty of sunbeds. I found the staff friendly and efficient.. our check in was quick but I did see lots of cues on other days so maybe we were just lucky. The spa is good to escape the noise of the pool when it gets to you.. which it does if you are there more than 3 hours!

What was average: The decor of the hotel is a bit drab. It looks older than 8 years. The cleanliness of the main hotel areas... lots of dust and the hallways smelt a stale.. it just looks like it needs a good clean. Pool area is a bit bleak.... no grass or separated areas... quite small. Our children (age 11 and 10) would have been bored stiff if we had stayed there during the day. All Inclusive is only until midnight.
Wine was definately average.. wouldn´t recommend it!!

What was bad: The gym... that was a joke... it is a small room with a couple of machines which are in really bad condition and some weight machines that don´t work.
We had a bad experience as my daughter had her bag stolen which had a small camera and a mobile phone... she had left it on the stage so it was our fault 100% but it was taken within 5 minutes - it was a shame that someone would do that at a family resort... Our balcony had two large brown mouldy patches on the floor and permanent puddles of water.... very slippery.... really unpleasant. The long, long, long, queue at breakfast for coffee and toast... Hello guys... that´s what most people have... there´s nothing worse than standing in line for 15 mins to get your breakfast..... I gave up after the first morning and went for the coffee at another bar... and had no toast for the week... problem solved!

So overall, I would say that it was OK.... our children had a good time, we ate well, the beach club was a good alternative and we were together on a family holiday so we had fun. I wouldn´t go back and I wouldn´t recommend it either.

Room Tip: Definately a higher floor and ask for a room on the east side or you have to close your curtains for...
2 Thank sarahjbh
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Just returned home from Holiday Palace...my wife, two sons (11,4) and myself. FANTASTIC HOLIDAY!!! The hotel is simply superb...rooms are spacious with separate kitchen area, massive bathroom with two showers, hotel was spotless. I read the reviews before I left and was concerned about a few reports of 'rats', which indicates a dirty hotel. What the reviews fail to mention is at the back of the hotel, there is a fence, and beyond the fence is an area of unused land/rural, which is why they have had a couple of nasties. But they have took steps to stop them coming in...we never seen anything!!! The food was great...catered for every taste. We mainly had our breakfast and dinner in the restaurant, and stayed in the sun at lunch and just ate the snacks available (chips, nuggest, burgers, hotdogs etc etc), which was great as the kids just ate when they finished their play. First hotel we have been to where sunbeds where available all the time. Visited the beach club four times and had lunch, the food again fantastic. Here is my only negative...thought they would have a few more slides for the kids (and me)...they encourage you to hire rings as you enter, (12 euro rent for 2, plus 28 euro refundable deposit), but the only thing you use these for is two slides which would not excite a 5 year old, and the wave pool...felt slightly mis-sold by this. The other thing I can understand people moaning about is the distance to Benalmadena, buses are packed and taxis expensive. But we just enjoyed what the hotel had on offer, kids never got bored, always taking part in the games. We found the staff very polite, never had any problems. The times of the meals (8am-10.30 breakfast, 13.00-1530 lunch, 19.30 - 2200 dinner) was brilliant. We stayed out at the pool until the sun started going down, then went out for dinner, no pressure with times. Yes there was the occasional queue to get into the restaurant (3 times out of the 2 weeks), we waited max 5 minutes whilst the staff worked tirelessly to clear the tables and set it up for you, which to me beats everybody just walking in on a 'free for all' basis, looking for a table where the occupants are nearly finished, which I've experienced with other all ins'!! Yes the evening entertainment was in spanish/english/french etc etc, that did not stop my four year old getting on stage dancing with spanish kids etc. For those moaning about the entertainment being in spanish...YOU ARE IN THEIR COUNTRY!!! This hotel caters for every nationality, and in my opinion, does it brilliantly. If you are going, say hi to Pilar serving in the pool bar...she has a lovely personality, brilliant with the kids, and nothing is too much. If you are going, forget the negative reviews, just chill and enjoy!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family