“Wonderful holiday...!”

Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday...!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Los Patos from 14th - 21st September 2013. The hotel staff are brilliant, they are all very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is situated in an excellent location not far from many bars, restaurants and the beach. The room was spotlessly clean and the air con was a god send! We stayed all inclusive and the food and drink was fantastic, the drink wasn't watered down like it is in many all inclusive hotels. The pool area was clean and you could always get a sun lounger. The on site entertainment was also very good. The only negative I have to say about this hotel is that you are only given one key card to access your room, this card also allows you to use the all inclusive so if one of you wanted to go up to the room the person by the pool wouldn't be able to get a drink or eat. The card also controls the electric so even if the one person followed you up and took the key back down you wouldn't have any power in the room resulting in the air conditioning not working. Besides that I can't fault the hotel at all, would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex L
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Los Patos Park, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear guest,

Many Thanks for your review.

Reading your comments is quite nice because we really feel that you enjoyed everything during your stay. I am pleased that our hotel was satisfactory to you and that you have shared your experience with us.

It´s a real shame that you didn´t ask for a second key to access your room at reception, we normally give one at the time of your arrival but if a second key is needed we immediately do an extra one to avoid any hassle during your holiday.

Hopefully next time you come and visit us will be absolutely perfect!

Quality Coordinator.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We spent a delightful seven days at the Los Patos Hotel. The hotel is conveniently located a gentle 250 metres from the promenade/seafront and is close to restaurants, shops and transport services.

Staff at the hotel were extremely courteous and helpful. Public and private areas were spotless.

Meals were of a very high standard with an extensive choice availabke at all meals.

Have no hesitation is recommending this property.

1 Thank Richard B
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Los Patos Park, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Richard,

I´m delighted to read that you had a brilliant time during your stay at Los Patos Park and we look very much forward to seeing you again sometime soon!!

Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and all the Tripadvisor followers.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at Los Patos Park from 30/08/13 to 06/09/13 on an all inclusive basis. The hotel is large and the rooms are pleasant and clean with hairdryer, safe (small cost), air conditioning and a rather old fashioned television, but you could get BBC 1, BBC News and Sky News as well as Spanish channels. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows soft. The clientele consisted mainly of Spanish families and there were a considerable number of small children. There were some British families and some couples, but not many. The Hotel has 3 swimming pools, one with 4 large water slides, one with a pirate ship, and a dragon, all containing small slides, water sprays etc and it was very shallow for smaller children. The third was a normal pool, with a baby pool at the side. The pools and pool area were all very clean. However, there was no pool area that was 'child free' and we felt the third pool should have been designated adults only. Food times were very flexible, but the for 'all inclusives' the bar didn't open until 10.30 in the morning - even for coffee. The pools areas were locked until 10.00am so you would see people queuing from as early as 08.30, especially for the pirate ship pool, so they could get a good seat. The pools all shut at 20.00. The restaurant was open 07.30-10.30 for breakfast, 13.30-15.30 for lunch and 19.30-21.30 for dinner. The lunch time in particular reflected the Spanish way of life, and siesta, as normally lunch would be served from 12.00 or 12.30. Again, in the evenings, if you were in the restaurant before 20.30 you would not need to queue, but after that, and right up to 21.30 there were long queues at the door as the Spanish eat very late in the evening. After 2 or 3 days the food became rather monotonous. There was a fair variety, lots of fish and plenty of salad, but it did not really vary from day to day, and one fish tasted rather like another. Every day there was pizza and pasta. It suffered the common problem of most buffet restaurants with food never really very hot and it was very, very noisy. We ate out a couple of nights to ring the changes and eat in relative peace and quiet. There were bar snacks available after 12 noon, consisting of toasted cheese & ham sandwiches, chips, hot dogs and burgers. The bar area was staffed by some very hard working bar staff, most of whom were charming and very friendly. The bar was well stocked, serving premium brands such as Bacardi and Smirnoff and had an excellent selection of whisky. The cocktails were good and supplements were only charged on drinks like Drambuie which had a supplement of 2 euros - well worth it when you saw the measures - certainly not British pub measures! The worst thing about this hotel was the entertainment which could only be described as appalling. It was run entirely for small children, with children's discos practically every night until midnight when the bar closed. There was a singer (I use the word loosely) who appeared on a couple of occasions, but who then had to finish at 10.30 for the children's disco. So if you are a couple, and want a relaxing holiday with good entertainment then this definitely isn't the place for you. If you are a family with small children, then it probably is - and you would save a small fortune on soft drinks and ice creams (which were also available) by going all inclusive. Note - there are only 3 lifts. We asked for the 2nd floor, which we got, so we didn't need to use them as there were often long queues waiting for them. The lifts are small and would only take say 2 adults and a buggy (there were a lot of these).

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are OK but it is very hot as you get the sun on them all day. We left the balcony...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Belmont_Wrights
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Los Patos Park, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest,

We have always been and will remain, a "child friendly" establishment. This is a family orientated hotel that welcomes families and guests without children, alike.
The restaurant was geared toward encouraging families with children, that is the reason why we have a wide variety of different types of food in an attempt to satisfy everyone tastes.

I am extremely sad that you feel that our standards have slipped, but once again we find practically impossible to please everyone tastes.

Also, the water park with the pirate ship is focused on young children but the slides are for both adults and children, and from my personal point of view, there is nothing funnier that seeing all the family enjoying together. We don´t wish to change this fact, therefore assign a pool only for adults it´s completely impossible in this hotel.

I would like to thank you for the complimentary comments regarding the rooms, the friendly staff at the bar (they are very grateful), and I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our all inclusive regime.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that you decide to return to Los Patos Park in a future holiday so we can have the opportunity to show you our improvements.

Kind Regards

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Hotel room nice & clean, food freshly cooked & bar snacks available. Cheese & ham toasties the best & cocktails included in all inclusive - never had this before and was the best. Bar staff Fernando & Jose very happy & friendly, keen to serve you. Couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Benalmedena is a great place to stay & 24 hr square best for nightlife!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Los Patos Park, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share you experience.

I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and in Benalmádena-Costa. Our location is one of the best indeed and a great starting point to discover Benalmádena.

Im delighted to read that you have received a friendly and efficient service by Fernando and Jose. A great Thanks to them !!

We look very much forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is my 1st review on Tripadvisor. I dont normally do reviews but felt that it was important do do one as If I had gone with the recent slew of negative reviews I would have cancelled the holiday. I normally take these reviews with a bucket of salt as they tend to be pretty polarised. I shall try to give a balanced view of the hotel.

Location

Very good, it is at the top of a moderately steep hill as is, but it is close to the beach with the pedastrian crossing at the bottom of the hill, the beach is clean with relatively flat water for swimmers and some wave action that was great fun for my kids - 9 & 11. 2 sunbeds + parasols can be rented for 9 euro a day. We elected to just bring our own towels in the later afternoon when the suns power had dropped a little.

Rooms

They are dated and small, we had 4 to the room and while it could do with a refurbishment, they were clean and provided the basic functions we needed. Whilst there were comments about there being only one English channel, in all honestly I only had time to put the TV on twice for around 15 minutes while waiting for the rest of the family to get ready for dinner.

One thing we did miss was having a kettle in the room to make your own hot drinks when needed.

The small rooms didnt really bother us as we were only in it to sleep or get a shower.

Pools

The kids enjoyed the pools, there were enough variety in slides and swimming areas to keep my kids entertained. There seemed to be always lifeguards about and minimal cues to use the slides which was great.

The queue for sunbeds in the morning was interesting, I dont know what time they started but if you are determined to get a particular sun bed on the side where the slides are look to go around 9.30 to join the queue. If you go at 10 just as they file in you will likely still get a sunbed somewhere. The pool without the slides had shorter queues in the morning but less sunbeds to start with. We went for the garden area between the pools, no queues, quieter, good access to the bar area + probably a better range of sun/shade through the day if you locate by one of the clump of trees. From there it is literally 1 minute to get to the pool.

Restaurant

The food was similar to most all inclusive places I've been in the past, decent salad bar, good selection of fresh fruit daily, my kids loved the desserts which isnt something I normally eat. The main dishes was the usual pasta selection, nice pizzas, lots of fish and some lovely meats, usually roasted, grilled or slow cooked in a sauce. The service was quick and friendly and the longest we queued for drinks or to get a table was about 5 minutes. Some of the items - especially breakfast were not hot enough for our liking but there is a microwave which we used to get the food to the way I like it. Hygiene levels were high in the handling of food where visible, with gloves and appropriate utensils being used to keep the raw meats/fish separate from the cooked ones.

The peak times for breakfast was just after 10am, when the people who had been queuing for sun beds came down to eat around 2.30 for the lunch service and 9pm for the dinner. As we saw much longer queues when we were leaving after our meals.

Entertainment

We didnt see much of the evening entertainment, The magic show was rated as amazing by my kids, we saw the bird of prey show which was average. The mini disco was popular but my kids are too old for it now.

I took part in some of the daytime activities, like archery and shooting. I was the only English speaker for the 5 times I did these activities, the organiser did check what language I spoke at the beginning and made sure that the relevant parts were translated to English. The atmosphere was casual and friendly and I didn't feel out of place.

Bar

I found them friendly and helpful, I never witnessed any discrimination with regards to who was served, they would generally ask who was next if they were unsure. Drink selection was huge with many branded items.

Occasionally they would not understand what I wanted but we always got there in the end. I was even able to send my 9 year old to get drinks and he was able to manage. Some of the staff even managed to remember my 1st name by the 3rd day and I found it a nice touch.

General comments

While I was there a child slipped on the slide in the play ground, he injured his face and had blood streaming from his mouth and nose. His brother that was with him ran to get his mum, one of the life guards must have heard or seen it happen as he was quickly on the seen with the 1st aid box and they were able to treat the child within a few minutes.

All in all I was very happy with the quality of the hotel and the level of service for the price of the holiday. My wife and kids have asked to go back again at some stage which is high praise considering that they have been is some very up market hotels/resorts in the past.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tehenlai
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind words...the chef was delighted as were the rest of the staff with your compliments. It is so appreciated when a guest takes the trouble to write a review about the success of their stay and it is very much appreciated by all - Thank you and please do come and visit us again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Our flight was delayed and we unfortunately didn't arrive until 11:30pm and the weather was still very hot which followed each day and the reception staff were still around and happy to help. The entertainment was still on, however we did not go to watch it as we weren't too fussed and were happy that we couldn't hear it in our room. The room was of a good standard, however I ordered and paid for a double room only to be given twin beds. When I rang down to tell them this I was rudely told it was impossible to have a room change but when it came to it we just pushed the beds together and it didn't really matter to us. The room was very clean and new towels were brought everyday-much to our surprise when the maid walked in while we were 'getting jiggy' although they were very good about it and it's a funny memory now. Just ensure you put the 'do not disturb' sign on if there's a chance of this happening to you ha ha. The food was great and quality was just fine, however I can see how it might become a bit 'samey' if you're staying for more than a week and we went out for dinner most nights. The lifts are a bit of a pain and take a couple of minutes to come so if you're in a hurry I would recommend taking the stairs if you can, which we did a couple of times despite being on the 9th floor. It was rather irritating when fully abled people were taking up the lifts to go from floor 2 to 0. The pools were amazing and the slides were suitable for all ages which was fantastic. The lifeguards were on full alert at all times especially round the children's pool which, although irrelevant to us, was nice to see. The main pool was never too busy to swim in and the water was very clear and of a nice temperature to cool you down from the hot sun. I don't understand why people moan about the lack of sunbeds and the ques etc as we never had any problem getting any. We didn't really talk much to the staff but apart from our one disagreement over the beds, they were all very friendly around the bar, in the restaurant and around the pool. Its located fantastically, about a 2 minute walk from the beach, if that and close to lots of great restaurants, cafes, shops etc. Overall, this was a fantastic, relaxing holiday for me and my boyfriend and we will definitely go back again sometime. 5 star rating, highly recommended! Book now!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for your review!! We are happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a such a wonderful visit here at Los Patos Park hotel. Please be assured that we have passed your comments along to the appropriate departments for review and are working diligently to be sure the certain items you mentioned are addressed and corrected.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!!

Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Very good hotel itself, good good food, great pools even for the ones who dont get up earlier to be in the que i rather sleep more and sit at the bar with a mohito after a good swim. There were lots of kids but wasnt a problem for us as the slides are for adults too. Fernandou and the bald man are very funny guys! and made our stay a lot funnier! The rooms were ok, plenty space for 3 of us, suitable and comfortable. We took a taxi on our first night to the marina and we repited every single night, good party and big cold cervezas at a very cheap price. We had overall a fantastic time!

Room Tip: High up better views
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Los Patos Park, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive and complimentary review about your stay at our hotel Los Patos Park.

I am sure your details will help others to select us when contemplating a visit to Costa del Sol.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.