“Another great stay!”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Tyrone, N.Ireland
“Another great stay!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I am a regular visitor to this coast since childhood, and for many years have stayed almost exclusively at this property. The only exceptions have been during the last two winters when the hotel was closed for the low season.
This hotel changed hands a few years ago and had been run down somewhat over the preceding years.
The new management have been investing a lot of money in capital improvements (new balcony railings, glass wall around garden, redecoration of reception area and the, just started, redevelopment of the old Yuan restaurant area are the obvious examples) that are helping enormously.
It is a fabulous building and setting in a good location near the western end of the Benalmadena coastal strip. The structure is a large footprint of about 3 floors (I say “about” because there are some split levels) containing the reception, restaurants, bars, function rooms, casino, spa and indoor pool. Two tower blocks of bedrooms rise from this base, one at each and respectively called the Malaga Tower (east) and the Marbella Tower (west). Malaga has the even numbered rooms and Marbella the odd numbered. This arrangement can catch out the unwary but is clearly marked on signage and, at least in my experience, the reception staff usually direct guests to the appropriate tower at check-in.
The bedrooms are spacious and comfortable (over the years I have stayed in all types except for the largest suite). Bathrooms are well appointed. Housekeeping staff are friendly, courteous and efficient.
Several recent reviews have made some complaints that I believe are either wrong or unjustified.
1. The hotel has superb free WiFi throughout. I was usually getting about 10Meg, which is about 3 times my office broadband rate.
2. The main restaurant is now the Mediterrano room between -1 and 0 floors, where previously the Pavillon room at -2 (garden/pool level). The Pavillon had an outdoor area and was more accessible but it seems to be too small for the higher occupancy rates that the hotel now enjoys. The lifts in the Marbella tower are close to the Mediterrano room but there is a short flight of steps involved. However, I believe that the steps from -1 to this room are fitted with a chair lift... Not ideal access put usually acceptable, remember the hotel is a 1970s design.
Reception, pool bar and restaurant are often busy and can seem understaffed. I suspect that this due to economic pressure and hope that the improvements being made to the hotel will continue to boost business and, ultimately, profitability so that staffing levels might increase.
I have always found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. However, I find that it helps if you try to engage; this is not just the case in this hotel but in Spain generally, in my experience. Many of the staff have cheerfully helped me with my faltering Spanish by correcting me (politely) or by providing a more apt word or phrase.
3. On my last visit we had breakfast each morning, lunch one day and some of my family ate at Bar Saphir (Burgers etc.). We certainly had no complaints as to choice and quality. On previous trips we have sampled a variety of restaurant options within the hotel and always been satisfied.

There are 3 pools: an indoor pool in a conservatory style structure, a deep outdoor pool and a shallow outdoor pool. The outdoor pools are sited in spacious well-manicured gardens that include a pond, a quiet area, a kids area and tennis courts.
One thing that I do find strange is the notice on the towel hut by the pool saying the pool doesn't open until 11.00 am. This seems very late. Personally I enjoy an early swim before breakfast and, in summer, would avoid the sun from about mid-day to 3. That leaves a very short morning swim opportunity. So I just continue to have my early morning swim regardless.
On the topic of swimming, there is a rocky beach to one side of the hotel and a sandy (coarse) beach to the other. The startling thing about both is the cleanliness and clarity of the water (except in the aftermath of heavy seas). It's well worth bringing a mask and snorkel to view the fascinating sea life. If going in at the rocky beach, try keeping sandals on.
I simply don't understand many of the negative reviews seen here. My experience over many visits and years has been positive. I am hopeful for the future of the hotel and would love to see it able to remain open for the winter. I will certainly be going back and look forward to that.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Kildress
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Mr “Kildress”;
Thank you very much for taking time to express your comments concerning our hotel. We can assure you that we have taken note of them. We hope to see you here with us again in the near future.
Yours sincerely.

THB TORREQUEBRADA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We arrived on Wednesday 24th July and waited about 45 minutes to get checked in one member of staff on reception dealing with everyone and answering telephone as well, we were eventually checked in pointed in left direction and told what floor our room was in arriving at room we were so disappointed that we about turned back to reception and asked for a change of room even offering to upgrade but we were told hotel was fully booked so we had to go back to room.Room 327 is obviously adapted for clients with difficulties as sink lowers and doors slide also my husband being six foot had most uncomfortable showers in the very low shower that could not be made higher.We discovered on the 2nd day that the fridge was warm,leaking and the most awful smell was coming from it we reported it but nobody came,next day we again reported it still nobody appeared we gave up so for the whole of our weeks holiday we were unable to use fridge.In the restaurant we found the food cold at times and repetitive also not enough lifters for food each foodstuff should have its own lifter for fear of food contamination.Overall in my eyes this hotel was not and should not have a 4star at the very least a 3star should be given by far my worst holiday in 25years of going abroad

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen M
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear “Ms Helen M”;
First of all thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We regret not being able to meet your expectations.
Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked on your arrival day and it was impossible to change you to a different room. I only want to add that this room has only adapted a part of the toilet.
About the mini-bar (is not a fridge to keep cold food, its only for minibar service drinks) was broken-down and had to be repaired the next day you gave as the report because we had to find a piece of the engine. please accept our sincere apologies.
We respect you subjective opinions concerning the food but would like to inform you that in our establishment we have a cycle consisting of 14 different rotary gastronomic menus so that the menus are not repeated for at least 14 days. The aim of this rotation is based on, and covers, both objective tastes and the nutritional needs of our guests. We also offer our guests dietary options to meet their needs in the case of diabetic, celiac, lactic allergy, vegan and vegetarian. Due to this you will find each day: one different type of rice, two varieties of pasta with different sauces, one buffet of salads and crudités, 3 mixed salads, assorted pizzas, assorted children’s options, two different grilled fish options and one with sauce, two kinds of grilled meat options and one with sauce, 3 types of vegetables a day and an extensive buffet of desserts and fresh fruit.
• In relation to your comment about the inadequate temperature of the food:
Our buffets are regulated and registered by internal control systems in order to avoid just this kind of error. During your stay, our stored records do not demonstrate any significant alterations. Still I wish to remind you that our staff would have gladly taken note of you complaint and relayed it.
Yours sincerely

HOTEL THB TORREQUEBRADA

Travellers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Well, slow staff on reception checking us in. No advice on how to find our room, it has two towers and lifts on each side. We went the wrong way, dragging our cases only to find we were the other side. No signs to indicate where lifts were.
Rooms ok, I know balconies have been redone and rooms were clean but so old fashioned.
I did think the hotel would be a lot plusher that it was, pool nice but only small bar, with overworked bar man trying to serve everyone.
Casino serves its purpose but hasnt been decorated in a long time.
Lifts were a joke- 3 lifts and tiny, they took ages to come and in the morning going to breakfast we stood there 15 minutes and only one stopped that was completely full. I then had to walk my mum down 7 flights of stairs with bad knees to get to the restaurant.
It was also in a stupid part of the building where the lift didn't even go to, so there was more stairs once you got there.
Food pretty poor, what I expect from a budget hotel. Old fashioned slow grills for toast, queues were huge for this as parents toasted bread for whole family. English breakfast was embarrassing, decent bacon is readily available and cheaper these days in Spain but they still use stringy grissly Spanish stuff.
Basically what I thought would be a 4 star experience, wasn't and won't bother staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear “juicyjulesspain”
Firstly we would like to convey our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations. We work hard every day to make us worthy of the trust of leading National and International tour operators and agencies..
We deeply regret that at peak times there are a lot of guests who choose to go to the restaurant at the same time, so sometimes it is difficult to take the lift inmediatly, so unfortunately you may have to wait for a really short period of time. Understandably, nobody likes waiting and if this has caused some discomfort please accept our sincere apologies.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve due to your observations and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we work hard each day to improve our product so as to make your stay, and the other guests as well, an experience worth repeating.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My friend and I booked this pretty last minute so price was reasonable however should not be marketed as a 4 star should be a 3 star rating. We added half board as an option - this was a mistake, food was pretty repetitive and as other travellers have commented often lukewarm to cold and the canteen style was noisy and sometimes very busy which did not help the ambience of the holiday. Also it's a shame you don't have the option to sit outside and eat if you are on a half board basis. On the plus side, the room we had was very clean, aircon was a godsend in July. We walked along the beach path and viewed the other nearby hotels and this was definitely the best hotel for pool area and gardens and seemed a lot less crowded than others. Try the little bar/restaurant across the road called 'theatro' owned by two Dutch guys who are very friendly. They serve basic meals such as steak, chips, salad but excellently cooked. The beef carpaccio was to die for and a great place for having a drink after a hard days sunbathing.

Room Tip: We went as high as possible and had a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beth C
Cardiff
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 10 nights in June/July 2013 and we thought the hotel provided excellent value for money. We paid £1200 on a room only basis. Initially, after reading the many negative reviews on TA, we were very apprehensive. However, we decided that if the hotel turned out to be a disgrace we'd just use it as a base for exploring this wonderful part of Spain. We needn't have worried as the hotel not only met but exceeded our expectations.

I must confess that I have been quite irked by some of the comments on his site about the wifi. Some complain that it is slow, that there isn't 100% coverage etc. I can say with certainty that free wifi in a hotel is extremely rare. I have become used to having to pay extortionate amounts for wifi and free wifi is typically only available is a very small area, usually reception That this hotel is progressive enough to offer it free of charge throughout the hotel is a real bonus.

We upgraded our room from the standard we'd booked at first and were very pleased with the room. It was very spacious, clean and well appointed. We've never had so much wardrobe space in a hotel room. We were very pleased that the mini bar in the room as empty and unlocked which meant that we were able to store our own things in it. The view from the balcony was magnificent. Great sea views as well as views all along the coast to fuengirola.

We were very happy with the pool and outside spaces as there were expansive grounds in which to get some peace and quiet although the area directly surrounding the pool has hardly noisy. We only criticism would be that the sun loungers didn't recline fully, although these were replaced by loungers that did fully recline the day before we left. We didn't buy much at the hotel apart from a few coffees and alcoholic drinks and found the prices to be very reasonable. We didn't eat at the hotel once so I'm unable to comment on the quality of the food.

For balance I'll list some things that maybe the hotel could improve upon. Firstly, we found the reception staff to be quite unfriendly. Firstly, when we arrived we were a little early for check in. Most hotels would have offered to take our luggage and offer us drinks in the bar while we waited for our room. Not so. We were instructed to come back at 14:30 and that was it. We asked if we could leave our luggage so we could go for a walk in the meantime. The staff member took our luggage and returned to reception slamming the door behind him. Another time we called housekeeping and asked for wine glasses to be sent up to the room, thirty minutes later and we were still waiting so I called again and spoke with the same man who shouted "give me time" at me and then hung up. Another time I went to reception with a query and the man behind he desk was clearly aware of me and yet he just carried on doing what he was doing. There was no 'I'll be with you in a minute' I was ignored completely until another staff member came along and dealt with my enquiry. Further, I have read some of the hotel's responses to some of the reviews on this site and frankly I find many of them aggressive, bordering on unprofessional.

We did feel that the hotel wold have benefitted from a bar area as he sapphire cafe was exactly that: a cafe and he hotel is quite a distance from the centre of Benalmadena (about a 20 minute walk). However, there are numerous bars, restaurants, supermarkets etc right outside the hotel. Our favourite was the Luna restaurant on the beach. I can recommend this highly.

All things considered, we really enjoyed our time at this hotel and feel that, based on our experience, it deserves better reviews than the ones it has.

Room Tip: Upgrade to premium room as it's worth the extra and try to get one in the Marbella tower as the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank azureblue83
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of June. The main gripe was that there was no air conditioning in the room! This meant having to sleep with the balcony doors open, and therefore hearing the traffic on the road outside! The hotel was very clean, but be aware of how expensive the drinks in the bar are!! The barman is not the most attentive and you could be waiting for quite a while to get a drink!

Veronica at the pool bar is great, very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz K
TORREQUEBRADA T, Director General at THB Torrequebrada Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear “Miss Liz K”
About your comments, and without enough information, I can’t give an objetive answer, what I can asure, is that Aire conditiong works properly in the whole hotel, including the rooms. We have an electronic control that disconects air conditioning while the terrace door is open, may be you didn’t close it correctly and that was to reason to have it off. Anyway, just with a phone call to the reception, we send inmediatly our technical service to check any inconvenience.
we hope you give us another opportunity to rebuild your trust in us
Regards,

THB TORREQUEBRADA
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel was spotlessly clean pools and grounds lovely plenty of sun beds all the staff were polite and helpful. The food however was very poor for the first three days because it was stone COLD . We did notify the restaurant staff and the main reception that the hot plates were either not turned on or were broken because they were stone COLD. When a fresh rack of bacon comes out of the kitchen not only was the tray cold but the bacon was cold to.It was a shame as the hotel had everything going for it .We have travelled Spain extensively staying at hotels and hostals and love your country but this is the one and only time so far that good food was spoilt because it was COLd

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple