“Not really 5* more 3-4 as needs refurb and better customer service!”

Estival Torrequebrada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We booked this hotel because we were going to see a show there. This was cancelled during the week before (Nothing to do with the hotel) as we had paid for flights etc we thought we would go anyway. We arrived in a taxi (which we had pre booked and paid for with Economy transfers, good service) usually at a 5* hotel you would expect a porter to come out and meet you with a trolley but no sign of life here! We made our way into the reception area which seemed gloomy after the bright sun outside so we could not see where anything was. Eventually we spotted a lone receptionist chatting to the porter with their backs to us, sure they must have heard us come in!. We were pleased our rooms,( there were 3 of us) so two rooms were both ready even though only mid day and that as requested they were close together so that was a good start. Once our eyes adjusted we noticed the area was quite smart with lots of sofa's and water feature. At last the porter took our cases on his trolley and took us quite a walk to the lifts the hotel was quite deserted everywhere but as it was early October we didn't take much notice of that. On arriving at our room we found it to be a twin and had specifically asked for a double. It was dealt with well, the porter rang reception immediately and asked me to speak to the receptionist. I expalined about the beds. She asked if we would like to move just along the corrider to 528 (we were in 508) so not far. The porter took us there straight away and let us in with his pass key. He then took our old room keys and papers and had them changed at reception and brought back. We thought this was good service as many hotels we have stayed at you would have been left to go down and sort it yourself. In that way they scored a hit with us. The room was quite large and very clean with a decent size baclcony part road view but also part sea so quite nice. Bathroom also well cleaned with toilet and bidet behind glass sliding door for little privacy which we liked. The towels were white but for a 5* were old and scratchy nothing thick or fluffy about them, sort of scratched you dry.! The air con was fairly good and for a change reasonably quiet when running. We did not touch the mini bar but the prices were not too bad as mini bars go. There was no kettle or tea stuff. You are given a laminated card for a pool towel at the hut by the pool you can change your towel for a dry one as many times as you want but only get 1 at a time so take a few of your own as the one does not cover more than half the sunbed and its not very nice stuff to lay on. You have to guard this card with your life, if you do not hand it in when you leave they charge 15 euros!! Pools were lovely and clean. 2 with a sort of flowing water feature seperating them and also an indoor pool that had the side all open so sort of outdoor but with a roof!!! Cafe bit limited for snacks but not bad. Service very slow they do not seem to have many staff so they all seem to do everything. Beds were very comfy and sleep was good. Breakfast room is big, well laid out with the usual sort of delights but again we thought more 3-4 * for the selection and quality of the food. Clean though and tables relaid quickly so you could sit where you wanted rather than looking about for a clean table. There is a casino at the hotel which has very pretty entrance at night, well lit. Quite a walk from the hotel down a fairly steep curving road to get to the prom which is on different levels. We had not been to this area before and were surprised how spread out and hilly it was. There seems a fairly good bus service although as only here for 2 nights we did not go anywhere on the bus. We did do the walk to the Marina which is quite a long way but is very nice when you get there. A little road train runs from there which we got on 4euros for a return trip about 45 mins so quite cheap. there is also a red double deck tour bus of the hop on hop off variety which we would have used if more time. Back to the hotel, it is not a bad hotel and has many good features but it rather badly needs refurbishing in the rooms, especially the furniture which is certainly not 5*. if this was done it could be a very nice place to stay . Otherwise think of it as a good 3-4 star and you won't be dissapointed. Hope this is helpful to you.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank dolly-may
Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed 17 October 2009

We decided to stay at this hotel for a week in Ocober as we got a very good price for a 5* hotel. The reception is very impressive with load of marble everywhere and we were booked in quickly and easily by friendly helpful staff. The hotel consists of two towers, the Malaga and Marbella towers, but due to being out of high season one tower was shut. We had a room on the 7th floor of the Malaga tower which although not a brilliant view we could see the sea and we got the sun in the mornings which was fine. The room was great with very nice wood flooring and kingsize bed. The bathroom was spacious with double sinks marble tops and good quality fittings which all worked well. We thought the breakfast was adequate and nothing special however we always managed to find something suitable to start the day. The hotel is set in well manicured grounds with two lovely pools and plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. The weather was great for October and we spent many relaxing hours by the pool. There is also a spacious indoor pool and a small gym. For lunch there is a great beach bar called Pierinos a short walk along the front which can be reached through a gate at the back of the hotel. Great wraps but a bit pricey. The hotel is a bit isolated though but there is a large supermarket a short walk away and a brilliant restaurant called La Carla which is a round yellow painted building down some steps which serves great fish. There is a strip of restaurants and bars a short taxi ride away and we ate in Bar76 several times as it serves good food at reasonable prices. The marina at Benalmedena is a short bus ride away and costs 2.40 euros or 15 euros by taxi. You can also walk there and will take about 45mins. The hotel has a great asian restaurant called Yuans and we had a very good meal there on our last night. There is a casino in the hotel which we gave a try and had some fun. There are lots of slot machines but there are plenty of roulette tables and poker and blackjack tables as well. I won 65 euros on our last night so was well pleased will that! To sum up we had a very enjoyable week. The weather was terrific and I cant really fault the hotel in any way. It is classed as a 5 star but I would probably rate it as a good 4 star plus. It was pretty quite as out of season and perhaps lacked atmosphere but it was nice and relaxing. I would definately go back and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I stayed at the Torrequebrada Hotel in September 2009 with my wife and 1 year old son, and was really impressed.

Being vegetarian, food options were not great in the hotel, So I would recommend B&B and venture out for lunch and dinner. On that note, the location isn't great. There are a couple of restaurants within 10min walk, but to get a much wider choice of restaurants, it about 40min walk (10min by taxi, approx 8 Euros) down the main highway.

For those who life a flutter, there's a casino within the hotel. We never went ourselves because they dont let in under 18's and we had child with us, but it seemed pretty good from the outside. Dont let this be a deterent if you think the hotel will be noisy and overcrowded due to the casino - because its not. To be honest, you wont even notice it.

Because we went in the off-peak season, we got a fairly good deal. It would probably be much more expensive during the peak season and most probably would have been over our budget.

Its a very big hotel and shame the escalators were never working, but there are plenty of lifts.

Indoor gym - well more like a small room with about 3-4 bits of decent equipment. Enough for a quick workout, but who goes on holiday to exercise? So dont get too excited about this.

Indoor pool - lovely! Two thirds shallow so great for children.

Indoor sauda - very small but still nice and clean.

Beach - The hotel is situated right next to the beach, but we didn't think it was that great and much preferred to sit around the pool.

I've stayed in numerous 5 star hotels around the world and to be very brutally honest, although this hotel doesn't quite match their standards, in my opinion it would be unfair to rate this hotel any less than 4.5 star (UK standard).

If your idea of a break is a bit of peace and quiet, sit around the pool area in lovely surroundings and soak up the sun - this is the place to go. My biggest worry before I arrived was paying extra for what was described as a 5 star hotel, only to find it more like a UK standard 3-4 star. This is not the case. You get what you pay for, so if you can afford it - book it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Kanbi_Traveller
Reviewed 3 October 2009

My husband and I thought the hotel was wonderful. The only thing that needs to be changed is the room. Wallpaper and furniture definately need to be changed. The free buffett breakfast and the room it is served in was great. Pool area spotless, actually the whole hotel is spotless. Very quite and relaxing . Everything a short car ride away.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SlotqueenNewYork
Reviewed 28 September 2009

To settle the argument as to what star rating reviewers think this hotel should be and to avoid disappointment. If you are expecting champagne on arrival, your beds turned down at night, a gooey chocolate or two on your pillow, his and hers robes and slippers in your room, a Jacuzzi in the bathroom, strategically placed waiters with trays of iced Perrier water in crystal glasses to cool you down, copious amounts of fluffy towels on demand and someone at your beck and call every second of the day then this is not the place for you.

If, however, you are looking for a very comfortable, clean, quality hotel with loads of amenities, beautiful gardens, polite, helpful staff, a choice of restaurants providing perfectly good food then look no further.

I have just returned from a weeks stay at The Torrequebrada and enjoyed it. I booked the flights with Ryan Air and the rooms with Thomas Cook at half the price than with the Hotel direct and paid £750 in total for flights and hotel with breakfast for myself and husband. Very good value I think.

The rooms, like the hotel lounge areas, are comfortable and clean I personally didn’t find the décor tatty or dated. Maybe as I’m getting to be a bit on the tatty and dated side myself these days I’m easily pleased, I do agree with a previous reviewer about the shower though – very basic.
The rooms are not huge ( and yes I too spotted a stain on the carpet but a clean stain if you know what I mean nothing to go over the top about) but there is plenty of space for most peoples needs and the sheets and bed covers all smelled beautifully fresh.
All the staff I had any dealings with were helpful, polite and friendly. I used room service twice and got what I wanted without any problems. I think in answer to the reviewer saying they couldn’t build up any rapport with the staff is that there aren’t an awful lot of them and they haven’t time to stand about and chat other than a greeting or two.

The pool area was spotlessly clean and when you check in, reception give you a ticket for a beach towel which you collect at the hut by the pool – (yes just one each but how many do you really need, take some extra yourself if it is that important to you) - and you can exchange them as many times a day as you like. There are plenty of sun beds and parasols around the pool, gardens and a small beach area.
Another huge plus is that there is not an entertainments program so you can relax and not have to hear the rallying cries of “Water Polo, Volleyball, Water Aerobics” etc every 15 minutes.

There is an area for siesta time with lovely big hammocks to relax in, which is a nice touch, it is though strangely positioned a few yards away from the children’s play area.

There isn’t waiter service around the pool but the pool bar is only a few metres walk from the pool or you can get a drink from the restaurant bar.
The drinks aren’t particularly cheap at €2:75 for a coke but don’t break the bank either.

Breakfast was very civilized from 7:30 – 10:30. The restaurant faces the sea and you can sit outside if you want. There is waiter service for tea and coffee, so no rugby tackling each other out of the way for the coffee machine, and then plenty of choice of hot and cold food to serve yourself to. There are bottles of champagne and iced water available, as well as numerous varieties of fruit juice.

There are several bars and restaurants to choose from all within the hotel and of course the casino and a flamenco and magic show to go to if that is your thing.

If you prefer to go out of the hotel for entertainment Torrequebrada is on the outskirts of Benalmadena a 15 – 25 minute walk into the main resort depending on how far you venture in. I can’t say Benalmadena would be on my personal favourites list as it is a bit too fragmented for my liking. That said it is clean and tidy with lots of decent bars and restaurants at the marina.

We found a restaurant at the Torrequebrada end of the resort called El Carnival not fancy just a nice small family run restaurant. I can recommend the rib eye steak at €12 .If you fancy a good old nostalgic prawn cocktail as a starter you get far more prawns in it than any “mom ever did when she went to Iceland”
Turn left at the big Silver water fall, cross the road (by the taxi rank) then past a few bars and it is on the right. A bottle of Rioja ranged from €12 - €18. The Chinese restaurant on the opposite corner was quite good as well.

There are always taxies available from outside the hotel we went to Mijas for the day and it was €20 each way. You can get the bus if you prefer a much cheaper way of travelling but what the heck you’re on holiday enjoy the luxury if you can!
Mijas is a lovely little old Spanish town that is big on atmosphere which I would certainly consider as a holiday destination in the future.

All in all I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending The Torrequebrada just don’t expect The Ritz and you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KerryFlix
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Our party of 4 adults recently stayed at the Torrequebrada Hotel. We stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and have never ever stayed in such a poor one. This hotel is not worthy of a 5 star rating. The staff are not friendly even when you are polite to them and try to build up a rapport. Everything seems to be too much trouble. They also 'appear' not to understand simple requests which I find hard to believe. On one occasion when we sat in the Pavillion for lunch the service was so poor we actually went into the restaurant and served ourselved to ice-cream. You would think this would be a simple task but it took over 1 hour for the order to be delivered to the table and then it was incorrect. There was no waiter/waitress service around the pool (a huge opportunity to make money that is being missed). You had to walk to the bar and then invariably there was no-one to be found to serve you. When we asked if there were any crisps/nibbles to go with the drinks we were offered Pringles that were in fact old (dated Sept 09), we had to rummage through the pile to find ones still in date - Sept 10. The sun beds were tatty and a number of them broken. You were only allowed one beach towel each and they didn't cover the stained lounger covers. The bedroom carpet had marks all over it, the door wouldn't lock and the maintenance guy came to start working on it at 11.00 pm (not something our neighbours would have appreciated). There was no phone in the bathroom, mould around the bath, a shower that either burnt you or asisted in suffering hypothermia. When we requested an iron it was all black and burnt on the plate and we were told it was the only iron the hotel had. After complaining miracously another iron appeared. The ironing board had no cover whatsover, just a frame if you were lucky, on other occasion you were just given a bath towel to iron on the floor. For the first week of our holiday the A La Carte restaurant was closed (no reason given). The alternative was a very poor buffet which we declined. This hotel may have been something to be proud of many years ago but it is in great need of refurbishment and the staff need to undergo training. At the end of the day if it were not for tourists they wouldn't be in a job. Having spoken to many restaurant owners in the area they gave the impression that it was looking to be sold off. They had more positive feedback from guests staying in nearby 4 star hotels. Having seen the turn down service on request, this is something we were not told about and expect as part and parcel of a 5 star. Not something to have to ask for.

All in all we made the most of it by visiting many places, Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Puerto Banus and Mijas. The most friendly and welcoming place was Mijas. Well Done Mijas. I hope this helps fellow travellers who know what to expect from a 5 Star!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank EnglandFlorence
Reviewed 21 September 2009

My second review.See last year.I was there again seemingly at the same time as the Estonian Reviewer and must have been at a different place. As I mentioned before I am aregular reviewer on here and this hotel for Spain is defintely 5* there.No porridge for breakfast!!!! This is a Spanish Hotel.

The Hotel was only about 30% full and Ican honestly say I saw no children anywhere.Of course the beach was a bit rough-September is high winds and the sea was choppy.
I spoke to a well to do Spaniard who thought the hotel was wonderful.

Breakfast -choice of 4/5 meats cheeses bolied eggs etc with about 5 types of bread and croissants.Full english also available.Fresh squeezed Orange juice plus pineapple grapefruit and tomato.About 8 bowls of fruit etc etc.Plus wine if you want it.

I honestly do NOT know what some people expect unless most who write on here live in Mansions at home!!

Incidentally one nac get a bus to Benalmadena Town outside the hotel and the Port and Marina is about 300 yards at most from the main road.Also not 200 yards over the rose is La Ruta de Iberio-a proper Spanish restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business