“Not as bad as the reviews would have you believe”

Estival Torrequebrada Hotel
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel while attending a wedding in Mijas. It was only used to sit at the bar, laze around the pool and sleep. For those purposes it was pretty good. It's absolutely huge but for the weekend we were there it felt like we were the only guests. I imagine this part of Spain was the place to be about 15 years ago, but the area now is pretty run down. We won't be back for a holiday! We did, however, travel around a bit and there are some really pretty places further inland.

Plus points: The pool area is very nice and the food isn't bad if you stay away from the eggs. Our room was lovely, with really comfortable beds and it was modern and clean. Good tv with quite a few channels. You can also get taxis from outside the hotel all day and night and the Marina isn't far if you want to go and sample the restaurants and bars.

Bad points: The walls in the hotel rooms are very thin. One morning we heard music from next door full blast for about an hour. It's also quite expensive. It had some 5 star qualities but didn't fit the 5 star mark for many things, such as service.

I would recommend the hotel, but not the area.

• Stayed: October 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 28 September 2010

The Torrequebrada is in need of of a facelift. It is not dirty in any sense of the word, but it is dated. I felt like I was in an episode of Miami Vice.

The staff were friendly enough, but the food was very average - was definitely expecting a higher standard. The flamenco show, which the hotel claims is the best in Malaga was entertaining, and I would probably advise going to it if you are bored one evening.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank E G
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Hotel is nice with 2 small outdoor pools. Nice spacious rooms but the staff were the biggest let down for us. Extremely rude reception staff. Not helpful at all. This hotel is a taxi ride to the Marina and about a 10 minute walk to restaurants. Overall disappointing. Definitely not worth what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2010

This hotel is a 5 star hotel in Benalmadena. It is also has a Casino.

When I first arrived at the hotel I was disappointed. It looked really dated. Once I checked in I had to walk through the entrance to the Casino in order to get to the lift to take me up to my room which was located on the 10th floor. This was a bit of a nuisance, the fact that each time I came to the hotel, I had to go through this damn Casino which was guarded by Policemen.

Once I got to my room, I was slightly relieved. It was pretty, nice bathroom (not special but it did the job), big spacious cupboards and nice sea view with a balcony.

The restaurant offered a nice buffet, but be warned - prices are astronomical and service charge is always included.

There were 2 pools, a small kiddie one and an adult one which was nice and deep.

The hotel is really quite far from the Benalmadena centre (i.e. the Marina) and usually you would have to get a taxi or a bus. Bus is much cheaper than getting a taxi.

I would not really recommend this hotel to individuals that are used to luxury. This is more of a 4 star.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Had to go on a quick trip to Benalmadena and stayed in the Torrequebrada Hotle. I had read some poor reviews and was apprehensive at the prospect of staying there. I had no such worries the staff were very helpful at reception and the room was large and had a beautiful view overlooking the sea. The hotel was very clean and the sheets were changed every day. We had a large balcony which my husband and I sat out on in the evening . We arrived on Saturday night and ate at the BBQ it was 25 euros each but well worth the money there was all kinds of starters mains and desert after a long flight it was delicious and well presented. We went to the show after the BBQ and it rounded off the night for us. The next morning the breakfast is extensive with food to suit every one if you go down fairly late it is very busy if you go a little earlier around 8ish it is quiet and no waiting to use the toaster as the breakfast is self service. You can even have a glass of bubbley with your breakfast.The casino was a disappointment as it seems to be for serious punters and not for the novice we left as you couldnt use any money but notes.Overall our stay was excellent and will return to the Torrequebrada without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank wentaway
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my parents, husband, sister and her two children aged 4 and 6. It was one of the most relaxing holidays i have had. The weather was beautiful for a start which always helps but the hotel was lovely also. There were two pools, one very deep and the other which i suppose was the childrens pool was very deep also, i could stand up but children would either have to be able to swim or wear arm bands. The children spent nearly every waking moment in the pool and as the sunbeds surrounded the pool we could just lay there and sun bath whilst keeping an eye on them. Perfect! The staff were very friendly and the hotel was very clean and tidy. The only thing i will say is that the toilets were quite some way from the pool so for children who tend it leave it until the last minute to go to toilet this could be a problem and also the hotel could have done with a better snack bar by the pool so that you did not have to go and get lunch from a nearby restaurant other than that it was lovely. We did go to the casino but left very shortly after having lost all our money. It was nice enough but only really for big gamblers i think. The Yuan restaurant in the hotel was absolutely georgous and we went twice. The breakfast spread was fabulous also. There are restaurants nearby but the more lively area is about a 10 minute walk away or a short taxi ride if you have young children who dont fancy walking. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would deffinitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank lizziew81
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The hotel was more three and half to four star; no sandy beach anywhere nearby, despite the internet pictures, but a rocky beach, with no sun beds. Pool area well presented but not enough sun beds for guests and drinks and snacks are very expensive. Need to use taxis extensively to reach marina or shops etc. Timing of breakfast determines whether you are in the dining room or an annexed conference room and the cooked breakfast is cold. The entertainment is extra at 28 euros each. Not comparable to other five star hotels that we have stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple