“Not as good as it used to be!!!!”
Review of Hotel Best Siroco

Hotel Best Siroco
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 17 February 2010

This was our third year here and really looking forward to it as meeting up with friends we had met their previously. We had a superior room whic is very spacious and ahs a fridge. Our friends were put in room 306 which is over the kitchen (very noisy) and had to be moved. They moved to a superior room but had to pay another £180 for their two weeks. Hotel does look very tired and is need of some tlc. Unfortunately for Valentine's weekend it is mainly centred for the Spanish pensioners who were extremely loud and rude. I think the Sirocco should remember that the Brits say for long holidays the Spanish only short breaks. Also I was taken ill with gastro enteritis the day before I was due to leave and ended up in hospital, thankfully I was able to fly home the next day. I have had some fantastic holidays at the Sirocco but sadly will not be going back next year as a lot of the people we spoke too.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Whurley

Reviewed 16 February 2010

After a very efficient check in by Jet2 at Leeds Bradford, comfortable flight that took off on time, and an efficient baggage collection service at Malaga, we checked into the Best Siroco Hotel, Benalmadena on Monday 4th January for a four week stay.

We were greeted by the most surly and rude male receptionist I have ever come across. When we arrived at our room, we found that half of the ceiling had landed on the floor. So back to reception, after much banging of paperwork, and trips back and forth to the back office we were handed another set of keys.

The room was extremely basic, although clean. The bed was very hard, pillows very hard, no drawer space whatsoever, bathroom ceiling black with mould, toilet waste pipe was broken and a horrible browny colour. The balcony was 3 foot wide by 8 foot long.

Back to reception, we were told that there would not be another room available until 20th January.

The general feel of the hotel was extremely shabby and dirty, all upholstery worn and frayed, carpets with holes in and very dirty.

The dining room was more like a works canteen than a general dining room. Every meal was just a free for all, with Spanish pensioners pushing to the front of the buffet line, taking over tables that were already occupied by other guests, who had gone to the buffet table for their meal. The waiters and waitresses were extremely rude and ignorant. In fact in one instance one of the waiters reduced one of the English lady guests to tears. Her husband reported the matter to the restaurant manager.

The food, well where do I start? It was all either tinned or frozen, not cooked through and served stone cold and swimming in olive oil and garlic. Guests in the hotel were dropping like flies with food poisoning. In fact my wife, who has never been ill in her life, and we have travelled to some remote places, succumed to it, through eating some sausage for breakfast.

The pool area is a haven for mosquitos, as they have a sort of pond with still water around.

This hotel needs bulldozing, rebuilding and restaffing.

The Best Siroco is without doubt the worst hotel myself and my wife have ever stayed in, both in the Uk and abroad.

5  Thank Mike_and_Lesley
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Just returned from two weeks H/B at the siroco and would like to make the following comments:- Accomodation- room 541 on the 5th floor looking over the gardens with a sea view. Satisfactory with all the usual fitments so I take it this is one of the refurbished rooms as were all the others on this landing. Food:- Breakfast OK with the usual choices of continental or fry up . Only complaint here was the lukewarm coffee from the machines plus the fruit juice was 99% water. Evening Meal:- Salad selection acceptable Main Meal OK the first night but a repeat most nights for the next thirteen nights with the exception of the carvery which changed the meet and fish being served on a rota of three nights. You won^t starve as you can usually find at least one thing to please. As mentioned in other reviews it was no change in the availability of CLEARED TABLES in the dining room and at nearly every meal you have a collection of the dishes you have used piling up which causes a hold up in the number of tables available to diners coming in. Whether this is bad management or lack of staff I don^t know? STAFF:- Cleaning ladies + chambermaids were EXCELLENT always a smile and a cheery ola anytime of the day. Bar Staff / Receptionists/ Waiters unbelievable .They were the most long faced ,sad individuals who are supposed to serve as in working with the public to bring joy and happiness to some poor persons probably only holiday of the year and reducing it to a night with toothache for the length of their stay. As said in other reviews if you accept this as a 3* 0n the way down to a 2*you should not be dissapointed but I talked to mumerous other guests who had used this hotel varying from eight to five years and the comment was always the same IT IS NOT AS IT USED TO BE AND WE WONT BE BACK Although all I have said makes me sound like one of the grumpy old men I did enjoy my holiday but I would not reccomend this hotel . PS On the day of my departure the Thomas Cook guests were asking for a meeting with the manager regarding most of if not more than the faults I have mentioned as the REP was just coming out with the pat answers and they were most annoyed. maybe another review will provide the outcome I hope they were successful

7  Thank scotlandsalmon
Reviewed 11 January 2010

hotel very poor in all aspect, needs major refurb food ok but restarant staff rude and surly, unless your spanish. we constantly waited for service but were ignored they would rather relay tables for breakfast than clear our table. we moved rooms as we were put in a tiny hole on 2nd floor when we had requested top floor. spanish holidays so thet took preference in all aspects. dust and fluff under beds rooms not cleaned properly on changeover days.all in all would not reccomend at all.

4  Thank starwarsNorthWales
Reviewed 6 January 2010

booked this hotel for 1 week and stayed for one night, 60s dated , food terrible, balcony approx two foot wide eight foot long all tiles loose and coming up. breakfast eggs ,bacon,swimming in grease.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tazHull
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Looked forward to staying last week before Xmas. On arrival checked into unreceptive Reception. Room not ready until later, which was fair enough. When we got the room, we found it to be very tatty and dated, although clean. Towels were old and semi- white. There was hardly room for a chair on the balcony. The next day we complained about the room and Jason (First Choice rep.) managed to get us a better room. But it wasstill dated with lumps of loose plaster on the walls and stained curtains.
The Hotel was swamped with elderly, noisy Spanish Pensioners, The Entertainment was geared up for the Spanish with nothing noticeable for the Brits.
The Breakfasts were good with something for everyone. On the other hand ,the evening meals were atrocious. Again the menu was strongly Spanish with decent food spoiled with garlicy oil over everything. The decent choices were soon picked over and not replaced.
I would only give this Hotel a one star rating and would not recommend it to anyone.
Also we were nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes in our room. Thought they wouldn't be around in Dec. Thnk goodness for the Irish bar across the road. We kept olur sanity by going in there.
The Hotel is NOT suitable for anyone with walking problems, it is situated 200 mtrs.
up a very steep hill, or with access from the main road through the gardens up a load of steps. We have sampled accomodation, sev ice, food in most parts of the world so my comments come with experience. How anyone could give this hotel a good report is beyond my comprehension.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rogbmnt
Reviewed 16 December 2009

My Wife and I have just returned from a fortnight’s holiday at the Siroco Hotel - half board.
The hotel is a little rundown in parts but the service was first class, reception was friendly, and the cleaning ladies were there every day with clean linen and made the beds and cleaned the floors every day. The food was good with plenty of variety both at breakfast and dinner, although the vegetables were often cold and not cooked properly but there is plenty of salad and cold meats to be had.
All in all, I think we got a very good holiday for the money we paid, it’s a three star hotel and that’s what we got, if you are looking for something better then you’ll have to pay for it.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple