“For what we paid - great!”
Review of Hotel Best Siroco

Hotel Best Siroco
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Bristol
“For what we paid - great!”
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Stayed in a standard room for a week at the beginning of March. Amazing value for what we paid. OK, hotel is starting to look a little shabby but in my opinion that adds to it's charm!

Food in the the restaurant is fine - nothing flashy, just 3* Spanish hotel food cooked well with plenty of variety... especially if you like fresh fish! Breakfast was great - loads to choose from, you could even help yourself to a glass of cava (although, we couldn't stomach it first thing in the morning!) We also found it hugely entertaining to watch all the Spanish pensioners stuffing huge quantities of rolls, croissants and cakes into their bags during breakfast!

Staff in the hotel were lovely - particularly reception... having stupidly left my jacket in the hotel room after checking out they're arranging to have it posted to me back in the UK. Extremely helpful and courteous!

Location is good for the marina/nightlife etc. There are loads of English/Irish bars in the vicinity if that's you're thing, although, I thoroughly recommend a trip to Malaga on the train if you want to see a traditionally Spanish city... costs about 3.50 euro and takes 30 minutes from Arroyo de la Miel station up the hill from the hotel.

If you're looking for a budget break, I definitely recommend the Hotel Siroco!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
england
Reviewed 10 March 2010

hi just returned from a 4 day break at this hotel, after reading recent reviews i was not looking forward to my stay but the hotel in not as bad as some make it out.
All i would say is pay the little bit extra for superior rooms we did and were pleased much bigger, nicer balconies and views, better carpet.
This hotel has seen better days, but the pool and garden area is very good .The breakfast is also very good loads of choice normal buffet to chose from then chef making fresh pancakes fried/ scrambled eggs no extra charge you even get chilled glasses of cava if you fancy a morning tiple.(FREE)
The hotel bar is really only a good place if you are either spanish are over 60. but wine is only 1.50 euro a glass so ok to have your first drink of the evening. thats all i am saying
final work you could find somewhere better.. PS. NO GYM AS SUCH '

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jetsetter087
Manchester
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Stayed for 4 nights in Jan with sister & husband,they had been couple of years ago and had a good time but that was in May. It was the full of spanish pensioners,making a lot of noise day and night. The noise started about 7.30am! The dining room was like a free for all,no point in trying to cue,you just had to go for it, couldnt be polite. On one side of the dining room the staff were nice, but if you went on the side of the older spanish man he was bordering on rude. The food was ok when you could get some! always found plenty to eat. I was on ground floor,think 173, if I had been there for a week or the weather had been good I would have had to be moved, my balcony faced the most dirty bit of waste land and had some kind of old machinery left on it, it was awful, Im sure the hotel could have cleaned it up a bit,and put some plants in,it was disgusting! The room itself was nice and clean, apart from the constant noise from the TV next door (deaf spanish pensioner i think from the volume)I banged on the wall but had to resort to ear plugs to try and get some sleep.My sister had the same problem, she was in a room opposite me. The sitting areas were always full, found it hard to get a seat during the day, then at night the entertainment was totally geared to the Spanish pensioners, we went out every night just to get some peace to the Riviera Hotel across the road. It was great, calm and welcoming, and in hindsight I should have paid a bit more and gone there. I would if I went again. The cleaning staff were to most friendly, and the reception staff should take some tips from them as it was hardly the most friendly welcome iv had, we were just told rooms not ready,come back later, no smile no hello. I usually like a hotel with a mix of nationalites, rather than just full of brits, but this was an awful experience, and if all hotels in Spain are like this in January, then I think I would rather stay at home. I was glad to get home,but then to top it all I started with gastro enteritis on the way home and have been ill for 2 weeks, a really vicious bug. We did notice ambulances constantly arriving at the hotel, I now wonder was it this bug infecting people? or just because it had so many older people in who were unfortunately ill, but we saw 2 ambulances in 3 days!.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ericsgirl123
Suffolk
Reviewed 17 February 2010

This was our third year here and really looking forward to it as meeting up with friends we had met their previously. We had a superior room whic is very spacious and ahs a fridge. Our friends were put in room 306 which is over the kitchen (very noisy) and had to be moved. They moved to a superior room but had to pay another £180 for their two weeks. Hotel does look very tired and is need of some tlc. Unfortunately for Valentine's weekend it is mainly centred for the Spanish pensioners who were extremely loud and rude. I think the Sirocco should remember that the Brits say for long holidays the Spanish only short breaks. Also I was taken ill with gastro enteritis the day before I was due to leave and ended up in hospital, thankfully I was able to fly home the next day. I have had some fantastic holidays at the Sirocco but sadly will not be going back next year as a lot of the people we spoke too.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Whurley
Burnley
Reviewed 16 February 2010

After a very efficient check in by Jet2 at Leeds Bradford, comfortable flight that took off on time, and an efficient baggage collection service at Malaga, we checked into the Best Siroco Hotel, Benalmadena on Monday 4th January for a four week stay.

We were greeted by the most surly and rude male receptionist I have ever come across. When we arrived at our room, we found that half of the ceiling had landed on the floor. So back to reception, after much banging of paperwork, and trips back and forth to the back office we were handed another set of keys.

The room was extremely basic, although clean. The bed was very hard, pillows very hard, no drawer space whatsoever, bathroom ceiling black with mould, toilet waste pipe was broken and a horrible browny colour. The balcony was 3 foot wide by 8 foot long.

Back to reception, we were told that there would not be another room available until 20th January.

The general feel of the hotel was extremely shabby and dirty, all upholstery worn and frayed, carpets with holes in and very dirty.

The dining room was more like a works canteen than a general dining room. Every meal was just a free for all, with Spanish pensioners pushing to the front of the buffet line, taking over tables that were already occupied by other guests, who had gone to the buffet table for their meal. The waiters and waitresses were extremely rude and ignorant. In fact in one instance one of the waiters reduced one of the English lady guests to tears. Her husband reported the matter to the restaurant manager.

The food, well where do I start? It was all either tinned or frozen, not cooked through and served stone cold and swimming in olive oil and garlic. Guests in the hotel were dropping like flies with food poisoning. In fact my wife, who has never been ill in her life, and we have travelled to some remote places, succumed to it, through eating some sausage for breakfast.

The pool area is a haven for mosquitos, as they have a sort of pond with still water around.

This hotel needs bulldozing, rebuilding and restaffing.

The Best Siroco is without doubt the worst hotel myself and my wife have ever stayed in, both in the Uk and abroad.

5 Thank Mike_and_Lesley
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Just returned from two weeks H/B at the siroco and would like to make the following comments:- Accomodation- room 541 on the 5th floor looking over the gardens with a sea view. Satisfactory with all the usual fitments so I take it this is one of the refurbished rooms as were all the others on this landing. Food:- Breakfast OK with the usual choices of continental or fry up . Only complaint here was the lukewarm coffee from the machines plus the fruit juice was 99% water. Evening Meal:- Salad selection acceptable Main Meal OK the first night but a repeat most nights for the next thirteen nights with the exception of the carvery which changed the meet and fish being served on a rota of three nights. You won^t starve as you can usually find at least one thing to please. As mentioned in other reviews it was no change in the availability of CLEARED TABLES in the dining room and at nearly every meal you have a collection of the dishes you have used piling up which causes a hold up in the number of tables available to diners coming in. Whether this is bad management or lack of staff I don^t know? STAFF:- Cleaning ladies + chambermaids were EXCELLENT always a smile and a cheery ola anytime of the day. Bar Staff / Receptionists/ Waiters unbelievable .They were the most long faced ,sad individuals who are supposed to serve as in working with the public to bring joy and happiness to some poor persons probably only holiday of the year and reducing it to a night with toothache for the length of their stay. As said in other reviews if you accept this as a 3* 0n the way down to a 2*you should not be dissapointed but I talked to mumerous other guests who had used this hotel varying from eight to five years and the comment was always the same IT IS NOT AS IT USED TO BE AND WE WONT BE BACK Although all I have said makes me sound like one of the grumpy old men I did enjoy my holiday but I would not reccomend this hotel . PS On the day of my departure the Thomas Cook guests were asking for a meeting with the manager regarding most of if not more than the faults I have mentioned as the REP was just coming out with the pat answers and they were most annoyed. maybe another review will provide the outcome I hope they were successful

7 Thank scotlandsalmon
north wales
Reviewed 11 January 2010

hotel very poor in all aspect, needs major refurb food ok but restarant staff rude and surly, unless your spanish. we constantly waited for service but were ignored they would rather relay tables for breakfast than clear our table. we moved rooms as we were put in a tiny hole on 2nd floor when we had requested top floor. spanish holidays so thet took preference in all aspects. dust and fluff under beds rooms not cleaned properly on changeover days.all in all would not reccomend at all.

4 Thank starwarsNorthWales