“Nice, but not a real 'club'”
Review of Sunset Beach Club

Sunset Beach Club
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 19 January 2013

January on the Costa del Sol has its tricks. Some bright days, some half covered, temperatures vary from 15 to 18 celsius. The Sunset Beach Club is located a 100 metres from the boulevard, and a small beach, in a quiet street in the all touristic costal part of Benalmadena. The authentic village itself is a ten minutes drive up mountain. The Sunset is a huge venue in the white Andalucian style, with spanish tiled patio's. I understood why early January was low season: not a lot to do, neither in the Sunset itself, nor in Benalmadena. The two spacious outdoor swimming pools are not heated, so way too cold to swim in the winter months. The indoor swimming pool is small, and filled up with the few people around.
The spa and the fitness room are minimal in size, and has to be reserved in advance. A daily program is offered, and some evening entertainment, but due to a lack of sports or other facilities, it didn't feel like 'a club'.
The English speaking staff was friendly but busy, it felt understaffed at times. At check in, you have to guarantee an additional 200 euro's 'in case of damage'. I asked the staff to check the studio before I left so I was sure no 'damage' was found after I was gone - the staff understood and my credit card guarantee was dismissed.
The studio itself was spacious, clean, the bed huge and comfortable. The kitchen at my studio was well equied with toaster, dish washer and washing machine.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms with a bit of sea view. I had studio L1 with a few hours of sun, and some...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Wanya K
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and indeed, for your kind comments.

There is no doubt that both the hotel and Benalmadena are quieter during these low season winter months; however, that peace and tranquility is exactly what many of our guests who stay with as at this time of year are looking for.

You also mentioned that you were asked to leave €200 as a guarantee in case of damage. This seems strange as our policy is to ask for a €100 deposit per apartment if guests do not leave a credit card as guarantee. Could it be that your party had more than 1 apartment? That being said, I’ll be sure to check with our Reception team to ensure that the correct procedure is followed.

I certainly hope that your overall experience was positive and that you will come back and visit us again soon – perhaps at a busier time of year.

Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

We arrived on NYE for 10 days and the weather was really kind! Quick check in with very helpful reception staff and they were always there throughout the holiday if needed. The hotel is lovely. Stayed on 14th floor and had fantastic sea views, certainly worth paying the extra for. We chose to have breakfast included which catered for everyone's needs and was pleased with the choices.
It was quiet in the hotel which was what we expected but there was still activities going on for those that wanted it. The Outside pool was freezing at this time of year, although our 12 and 14 year old still went in, I'm sure in the summer it's very pleasant.
Entertainment in the evening was good especially Ricky, the Elvis/Michael Buble guy who had a great time with the audience.
Food in the hotel was lovely, and they had a daily special which was very reasonably priced and delicious too.
Coco's bar down the road was great for food and football/entertainment and the food was gorgeous at great prices. Also a Chinese just round the corner from Cocos which was good and a very fair price too.
Rooms kept very clean and housekeeping staff very friendly. We had a problem with a bulb in our room and it was dealt with straight away whilst we were out for the day and an apology left in the room.
Happy hour at hotel 630-730 so enjoy!
My only complaint was some of the restaurant staff were a little grumpy, but the food perfect!
Also one day by the pool we were asked to move from our sun beds whilst they we're jet washing the sunbeds. I am all for cleaning but think this should be done before 10am when the pool opens or after 6 when it closes.
I will definitely be going back to this hotel and I am already looking at dates for next year.
We booked direct with the hotel and although they said they could not guarantee our requests we were lucky to get what we asked, although when its busy we might not be so lucky. Enjoy all!

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank rachel1610

Thank you for writing such a detailed and complementary review of our hotel.

I’m so please you enjoyed your stay and that our facilities and entertainment lived up to expectations – Ricky’s show is always popular and a favourite amongst our guests.

I’ve made a note about the restaurant staff and will be sure to pass it on to our Operations Director so that he may take the appropriate action; I apologise for this and hope you were not too inconvenienced.

Regarding the jet washing in the pool areas, once again, please accept my apologies as this is not standard procedure. The pool areas are usually cleaned before 10am every morning so this should not have happened.

I’m delighted that you plan on visiting us again later this year and assure you we’ll do our best to ensure you have an equally enjoyable holiday.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Sunset Beach Club
1. Location/Convenience Opposite to Petrol Pump, Burger King and a Super Market (There is one in the hotel as well - which is a bit expensive than the one right opposite to the hotel). The sandy beaches, many restaurants, pubs (the hotel has one restaurant and a couple of bars which are very good) are at a short walking distance. Very well connected in terms of local transport.
2. Cleaniness / Comfort Very good clean apartments.
3. Swimming pools / Sun bathing / Fitness Outside pools are clean with clean & spacious pool side with plenty of loungers available free. There is a poolside bar, a restaurant and a children's play area which are of a reasonable good standard. The Gym has a indoor heated pool and a small jacuzzi and a sauna which one can use on paid basis which should be free for residents ideally but unfortunately it was not.
4. Apartments Spacious enough for a small family. Excellent views from the balconies whether be the mountain side or the sea side apartments. The beds are ok but the sofa bed could have been better.

Overall a great value for money! :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MoneshB
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My husband and i along with another couple have just come back after spending new year at Sunset beach club i must say this was not our first time but i still love the place and we are going to return sometime this year. The rooms are clean and tidy the food iis great and the staff are brill. It is also ideal for families with small children as there are life guards on hand around the pools. All i have left to say is keep up the great work.

Room Tip: Pool side is always best as you get the sun allday
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Jayne2011
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The room was fairly large with a sea-side view, mattress was springy but staff immediately supplied a new one. I had no other problems, staff were always willing to help in any way they could. It was pricey in the hotel restaurant, I recommend an english restaurant just 5 minutes down the road called "Friends" it's much cheaper. There are a lot of great activities both in the area and on site, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-side view, the rooms on this side are warmer and have a fantastic view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Shaned0g
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We were at the hotel for 2 weeks in December 2012. Our apartment was very nice, clean and comfortable. The maid service was good and childrens facilities appeared good. We had a couple of meals in the restaurant and 1 take away. The take-away we had was chicken korma oh dear what a dreadful thing that was. The chicken was inedible, it was tough, no taste awful. Then we tried the restaurant and silly me asked for the chefs special! Chicken ! I sawed through it and in the end had to give in, we were not charged for that, having said this my husband had salmon x2 and really enjoyed it and I had roast beef and it was lovely. not particularly cheap

Room Tip: rooms on the sea front are nice and do get the sun on the balcony. Noise can echo if family above yo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScotlandAnnish
Reviewed 1 January 2013

October 2012 was our second visit to Sunset Beach and and we have decided it is the nicest holiday hotel we have stayed in.The standards are high,all staff are efficient but helpful and friendly.We ate lunch everyday in either the outside terrace retaurant or the inside Oasis main restaurant.Twelve out of fourteen evenings we ate dinner in the Oasis restaurant and stayed on there to enjoy the excellent musical entertaintment.Obviously food at Sunset Beach is very good.We have just booked our third visit !

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vince402
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

It’s very rewarding for us to read the title of your review and I’m delighted that our whole team contributed in making your stay a memorable one. I’ll be sure to pass on a copy of your review to the restaurant as they will be delighted to read that you ate there so many times during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit.