“Wicked holiday”

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wicked holiday”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We went here during July 2013 and we loved it. It was clean, the staff were helpful and the hotel had everything we needed. The beach was across the road and we had views of it from our balcony. Entertainment was outside and inside everynight, which included tribute bands. Could not fault the place and will definately return.

Room Tip: get a room in 240-248 cause u can see sea and beach on balcony its lovely at night and if you walk a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kelleyandpaul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed here last year and went bk the 20th-27th august this year.

PROS
The hotel is lovely and very clean. The new pool with the umbrella was fab. My son is 3 and he loved it. The food in the hotel was ok but the food down the marina was much nicer. Luna bar and Stalios bar are lovely and the play area for the children was handy.

CONS
We were on the 4th floor which was dark. I booked it in December and emailed Justin to request a 6th floor up as we were going back and knew the lower floors were dark but obviously 8 months notice wasn't enough. Wish i had a nice room as my mother was 50 and hadn't been abroad for years so was a special holiday for us.

The mattress on the fold out bed wasn't brilliant.

I bought my 3 year old son a Swansea city kit, (Century one) a one off kit and the shorts went missing from my room he didn't get to wear them. I put them on the bed ready for him to wear one night and then decided to put something else on him. When i packed to come home i realized they had gone. I went to reception and the laundry and they couldn't find them but said because they were white they could have got caught up with the sheets when the cleaner was cleaning. They gave me a form to fill out so they could try and claim something back for me and i haven't heard anything since and i have been home over 2 weeks. I am really not happy with how the hotel dealt with this as i payed £50 for a kit and my son was landed with it and now its gone.

Room Tip: lower floors are dark
1 Thank howells3
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Just returned from 10 night stay here. Mixed Bag really!! If it was a 3*, i would think it was a really good Hotel..but as a 4* it is slightly disappointing! Positives: Staff friendly, efficient & helpful. Rooms and whole hotel kept spotlessly clean. Good location right by beach & local bars/restaurants. Air con very good in rooms. Negatives: Rooms need updating: furniture old and dated.Prices at pool bar, other hotel bars & restaurant way too high! Kids club: my 9 year old walked out halfway through a session and no staff noticed, it was lucky i had just come out the lift and spotted him!! So NOT a secure kids club at all! DO NOT leave your children there unattended...even after i had signed a form an hour earlier saying he was not allowed to leave until i collected him!
The hotel supermarket is very good: fresh bread, milk etc..lovely bakery!

Room Tip: The club is on the 5th floor (kids disco and entertainment) so if you want quiet evenings do not get...
1 Thank AMPUk
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and for your constructive feedback.
I have made a note of your comments about the rooms needing updating and will pass them on to our Facilities Manager. That being said, we are constantly refurbishing rooms and common areas (as part of a general refurbishment plan) and it is quite possible that the apartment you were allocated is one of the ones which is due to be refurbished.

Your comments about the prices in our restaurants and bars have also been noted. We review our pricing at the start of every season and always try to ensure that they are at a level one would expect from a 4 star establishment.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to Sunset Beach Club again soon.

Coin, Spain
Reviewed 4 September 2013

fantastic place good restaurant staff had a really good time the area was a little out of the way from the main entertainment areas but was only a few euros in a taxi plenty of restaurants and bars close to the sea

Room Tip: the higher up you are the better
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tommyval123
Ireland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After the passing of my dad in January, myself, my mum and my aunt went to the Sunset Beach hotel in Benalmadena, Spain on a well deserved holiday. We picked the Sunset Beach as we had already been in Torremolinos so we wanted to try somewhere different yet close to what we know. We are people who like to walk and explore however we found this hotel too far out from the main shops etc. It is a clean hotel with fabulous entertainment at night and a great breakfast. However, on arrival and throughout our stay we found the reception staff rude and unhelpful. We had requested a seaview however we got a road view, when we said this to the receptionist, she was happy to inform us this was only a request, which is fine however she didnt even check if there was any other room on any of the four sides looking out to the seaview. I was informed by the taxi firm they had sent a confirmation fax to the hotel for my attention, when I asked the gentleman on reception about the fax, he came across arrogant and getting up to see if there was a fax for us appeared a real effort for him.

We however were not going to put the negatives of this hotel put us off a well needed holiday. There were about six restaurants on the promonade next to the beach. We found a Spanish gentleman who spoke more Irish than us!We also found our favourate restaurant- La Perla Cordobesa. They have amazing paella and the staff are very friendly. We found the owners of this restaurant different from the others as they didnt hound us if we wanted to walk by. What we found very interesting, was when we told the owner of La Perla we were staying in the Sunset Beach Club, he told us it wasnt the best hotel to staff in. There are also fabulous markets and little shops around Benalmadena and Torremolinos with beautiful things to buy and very handy things to buy! You will find it very hard to pay more than €5 for one item.

I have to say, we had a great time, saw loads, spoke loads of Spanish, bought loads and miss the sun!

Room Tip: If you stay in this hotel, make sure you dont book it yourself, book it through a tour operator. By...
3 Thank RebelsIreland
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I’d like to apologise for the problems you experienced with our reception staff. As I have commented in other reviews, we take great pride in our staff and work hard to ensure they receive regular training in customer service skills. The service we provide in reception is key to ensuring our guest experience is optimal; on this occasion it is clear that we did not meet the high service levels we are known for and for this I apologise. Rest assured that a copy of this review has been forwarded to the Head of Reception so that he may take the appropriate steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

I’m glad you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and hope you’ll come back to Sunset Beach Club again in the not-too-distant future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Myself and my family have just returned after a lovely 10 day holiday at this hotel.

EXTERIOR/INTERIOR ROOMS..... Do not fall into the trap like I did when I booked this holiday, I was told that I would have a sea view apartment as I requested and paid extra for. This however was when the problems started, on arrival the receptionist stated that we could only have a mountain view as that was the only one available, my heart sank!!!!! The hotel cannot guarantee requested appartments until the day of arrival when they know how many people are vacating! He said that if we went into a 2nd floor apartment for a few days he would try and sort out a sea view, of course I didn't really want to do this and if I chose the mountain view then I couldn't change to a sea view, after arriving all tired due to the 3am start I just wasn't in the mood to argue. The receptionist did however look at my holiday dates and looked on the computer again and surprise surprise!!!!! There was a room with a sea view but we would have to wait a few hours for it to be cleaned. This was music to my ears and a big relief. So for this I THANK the receptionist.....

ROOMS..... We were a family of 4 2 adults and a 4 and 9 year old, the bedroom was big enough for the boys and so no problem there, there was a small draw and a chest of draws in there, the kitchen was small but well equipped with kettle, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, hob and my favourite a full cooker...... Bathroom well it's a bathroom no problems again added bonus of a hair dryer, living space hads a table with 4 chairs a tv unit with 2 large draws and a sofa bed, now when it comes to sofa beds you either get good ones or bad well thankfully ours was quite comfortable, we decided for the whole holiday to keep the bed out and we all sat on that,money downside was it was to close to the sliding window so awkward to get onto balcony, the storage space was a large walk in cupboard with shelves and hanging rail, the safe was in there as well as mop and bucket, ironing board and iron, airer and boom ample space. The whole apartment was decorated beautifully, we were in room 859 and the view was beautiful, swimming pool, ocean and views across to the next resorts....

TV... About 9 English chanels best one was sky movies (family) always something for boys to watch

SAFE..... I think it was 45e for the stay with a 20e refunded deposit

LUGGAGE ROOM.... There is a room with lockers where you can put your suitcases and bags when you have vacated the rooms this room can only be accessed by using a key from reception, also the lockers are 1.5e which again you have to get a token from reception but this token can only be used once.

WIFI.... There are certain areas in the hotel when you can get access to wifi...

TOWELS FOR SUNBED........BEWARE....My husband on our 2nd day took the towels down about 9.30 whilst I got the boys ready at about 9.45 I looked over the balcony and the towels had gone, my husband went back down to find out where they had gone and eventually found that security had removed them and placed them in a basket as the towels were placed before 10am, unfortunately when my husband found the towels there were only 3 so someone had STOLEN my towel, yes I know it's only a towel but it's not the point it belonged to me and as we had only brought the 4 I had to then go and pay 12e to buy another one. Not a happy bunny!!!!!!

SWIMMING POOLS...... There are 4 pools, a baby one with a mushroom fountain thingie, a rainbow shaped one, another and then the big one but this one is very deep tomadult supervision would be advised, there are alot of sun beds and sun chairs but not many umbrellas and so not alot of shade for little ones and this area can get very very busy. Theremis a life guard on duty all day and 2 places to eat and drink around the pool area, the employees do wonders every morning making sure it is all clean and tidy.

SUPERMARKET ON SITE....... Well stocked and also added bonus of a bakery prices no different really to the one out of the hotel to the left and up the road but this one is larger and has fresh fruit and veg etc.

FOOD and ENTERTAINMENT.... Cannot comment as didn't eat there and didn't go and see the shows.

BEACH.... NOT SAND BUT SHINGLE...... There are 2 beaches the main beach just to the side of the hotel but we found another a little one and really nice if you go out of the door in the pool area and turn right about 400 metres away is the beach. BE WARNED JELLYFISH my 4 year old got stung on the arm by one and also another child whilst we were there, i however didn't see any. For 2 sun beds and an umbrella is 9e which I didn't think was to bad...

PLACES TO VISIT..... For 8e in a taxi you can go to the Marina loads of shops, bars and restaurants and ofcouse fantastic boats, sea life in also at the marina but expensive I think.
Palma Park is A MUST head out of hotel and turn right down the strip come to the red church and just opposite is a road walk up the road and you will come to the park which has lovely walks, parrots, a lake with wild birds, pigeons, rabbits, guinea pigs, peacocks all running around, play areas, place to eat and drink and waterfalls, we visited it 3 times just lovely.
The dolphin park is by the park also but we didn't go as I thought 76e was a lot of Money and from the outside didn't look very big...you however make your own minds up.

One more thing if you use the gate from the pool side to get out onto the road then you need to use your apartment card to get back in.

Well I think I'm done with my review, I hope you've found some of it useful, anything else you need to know just ask.

10 Thank Gitto36
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive review of your stay at Sunset Beach Club, I’m sure future guests will find it most helpful.

I’m sorry your holiday didn’t get off to the best of starts with your room allocation; however, I’m glad our receptionist was able to find you a nice room for you to enjoy the rest of your holiday in. Apologies also for the towel that went missing from the basket by the pool. The reserving of sun loungers is a problem in most busy hotels and the system we use tends to work well. We remove the towels so that other guests can have the opportunity of securing a sun lounger and putting the towels in the special basket usually works well. Obviously in your case someone must have taken your towel (I’d like to think this was unintentional) and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for providing such detailed feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not-too-distant future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We are returning to the Sunset Beach again (we were there last April) on 28th September 13. We must congratulate everyone there. We were looked after by reception with kindness and efficiency. The restaurant was great, entertainment every night, the restaurant staff were terrific their sense of humour and kindness was appreciated. The hotel was as usual great, we had a great apartment with a view of the pool and the sea. We have been visiting the Sunset Beach usually twice a year for the last seven years and we are looking forward to our visit at the end of September.

Room Tip: A sea view would be best. If an apartment with a view is not available reception usually try to acco...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple