“Not bad but could do better”
Review of Sunset Beach Club

Sunset Beach Club
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed for a week on an RCI timeshare exchange at the Sunset Beach Club from 21/9. First impressions were ok. Reception was quick and efficient. I had previously emailed asking for a room with a sea view as I had read some bad reports on TA about people being allocated internal rooms with views over a dingy courtyard. To our delight we were allocated a room in the corner of the hotel on the 10th floor with a fantastic panorama of the beach, seafront and mountains. Ok the room was a little small for a 1 bedroom apartment but it was adequate for us and had a enormous balcony. Lifts okay so no issues getting to and from the room.
Reception and check in was fast and efficient but wasn't impressed by the 30 Euro electricity charge for the week when it was obvious we would not use anything like that level of electricity over a weeks stay.
First day we went to the Welcome Meeting. We were greeted at the door by a smiling RCI rep who did his best to be all pally pally and said he would be over to talk to us in a moment. We were soon lumbered with him trying to find out all about us, our income and our current timeshare. When told about where we own and our maintenance fees the usual Timeshare Rep sharp intake of breath and frown followed. Then the "I will book you in for a meeting tomorrow and we can talk about what we can offer you". Had we asked to be imposed on like this NO WE HADN'T we were there for a welcome meeting? Having had this at other resorts we're wise to their tricks now so needless to say we ducked out of the meeting only to have a note shoved under our door about how they had booked us another one at 10:30am the next day. We didn't show for this either so they got the message and left us alone. The Welcome meeting lasted a mere 10 minutes and was just a manager showing a few slides of the hotel and an introduction to guess what.. Yep, correct, all the timeshare rep team. So be warned the Welcome Meetings just to get you as a captive audience for the RCI reps who will then book you meetings etc, etc.
Ok enough about RCI reps. The hotel is large with about 500+ guests. The pools are good, loungers are alright, bars and food good so no complaints. Free car park at the back of the hotel so no worries there even if some idiot scratched my hire car when opening their own car door! We've stayed in better 4 star hotels / resorts but as an RCI silver crown it did what it said on the tin. It is Irish owned and they were everywhere and if it was school time for the kids in the UK/Eire you wouldn't have believed it as there were about 20 children clearly of school age in the pool. We were self catering so ate out most days. Nice restaurants nearby that did good breakfasts for 3:25 Euro and a 3 course evening meal for 12.50 or 14.50 Euro with a free bottle of vino included. Hic :) For the less inclined there's a Burger King over the road and a big cheap supermarket opposite (cheaper than the onsite one) for those who self cater.
As per other reviews the marina is a bit of a plod, We are both fit and it took us a 35 minute stroll. But it is nice and the restaurants there are good if a little pricey. Also did a day trip to Peurto Banus which is swanky but good for posing with the rich kids. Dinner there was very reasonable at 15 euro for 3 courses. Went to the Butterfly Park as well. This is NOT a park but a butterfly house, so we were round it and out the door within 45 minutes so don't plan making a day of it.
The sightseeing bus is good value as well. Other than that Benalmadena is like Southend in Spain without the amusement arcades but with nice weather. The beach is rather shingle than sand but tolerable, sun loungers and a parasol 9 euro's for a couple. Usual bugging every 5 minutes from the looky looky men, pain in the butt.
There are a lot of Irish stag and hen parties and weddings at the hotel so if you're looking for 100% peace & tranquillity give it a miss. However, all in all an okay holiday and would go back to Benalmadena & The Sunset Beach. You get what you pay for and it's nice for a weeks family or couples holiday.

Room Tip: Write in advance and request a room with a sea view you stand a better chance than turning up and ta...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trevor W

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This was the first time I had stayed at this prop and can't rate it highly enough. When we arrived we were disappointed as was allocated a room on the the floor, which was lovely, but had our heart set on a sea view. After speaking to the reception we were changed to a room on the 11th floor with a view to die for.The staff at this hotel were so friendly and the full place was spotless with one of the best game rooms I have ever seen at a hotel.The shows were also fab jersey boys especially.I travelled with my mum and my 11 year old son. We all had a blast and will be back next year. Well done sunset beach club keep up the good work.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

I’m so pleased you all enjoyed your holiday with us and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am also glad that your initial disappointment was short lived and that our reception staff were able to get you into a nice sea view room on the 11th floor; the views really are spectacular from up there!

We all look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

This apartment type hotel was one of the best I have ever stayed in. The hotel in full was exceptionally clean (the maids were always cleaning). As far as comfort was concerned again it was of a high standard. The rooms were large and the kitchen area was well equipped.
Although it says I was there November 2012 it was actually July 2012.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sunset Beach Club and for your kind comments about our hotel, staff and facilities.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your holiday with us and hope you’ll come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times now and I go back for a reason. They have several room types and they are priced accordingly. Internal rooms have little natural light and are close together with no views. Mountain view is fine for me but I stayed in sea view this time as I got a good deal. The rooms are all spotlessly clean, well equipped and modern. The pools are excellent and have enough sun loungers most of the time. The kitchen in the room is really good with all utensils, plates, glasses etc along with oven, hob and microwave. You can get all you need from supermarket downstairs. Only small issue I had was room was marketed as 1 bedroom. It's fine for 2 people but not any more as the bedroom is behind slatted doors which offer zero privacy.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank paul0107
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife and I got married in the Sunset Beach club in September 2013. We had 57 guests that had travelled from both Ireland and England to attend. Most of our guests stayed for the whole week. My wife had her Hen Do on the Monday , my Stag on the Tuesday , Wednesday was a much needed recovery day and a chance to have a final meeting with Kerry our Wedding Planner. We also had a rehersal with Padre Peter who conducted the ceremoney. Thursday was our big day. The ceremoney was beautifully conducted on the promonade with a full sea view. After a drinks reception we all headed to the Panoramic room in the Sunset beach club. Amazing !!!!
On the Friday we had a farewell BBQ arranged by Sunset Beach Club in a privatley sectioned off part of one of their Beach bars.
On a holiday or an event it is difficult to keep everyone happy as everyone has different tastes and requirements. Somehow this is just what the Sunset Beach Club managed to do as all of our 57 guests loved every detail and all agreed it was the best wedding they had attended and best holiday they ever had.
Every couple has the dream of a perfect wedding but to see it and experience we were truely blessed that week. I cant recommend this resort enough , not just for a wedding or an event but for its hospitality and service. Some of our guests are planning a return trip next May and my wife and I hope to return for our anniversery.
Great Hotel , Excellent Team , lots to do locally so perfect for couples , family and all events.

Room Tip: All rooms were great. Just enjoy
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

I can’t thank you enough for writing such a wonderful review of your wedding experience at Sunset Beach Club and for choosing us to celebrate your special day.

I’m so pleased that everything went according to plan and that you and your guests enjoyed the wedding and the rest of your stay with us. We’d certainly love to welcome you and your wife back to Sunset Beach Club for your anniversary!

Thank you once again for your kind comments,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We did not know that to expect when booking through RCI so upon arrival we were satisfied despite the hustle and bustle of numerous guest checking in. That was short lived however when we were informed we had an interior room, which they automatically upgraded to a mountain view room due to the end of season availability. Either of these choices, if known, were not what we were expecting. We opted to upgrade to a one bedroom "suite" on the sea side for 167 €. We also had to pay a 30€ charge for electricity. We firmly believe the upgrade was only available due to the time of year. On the up side, the upgrade paid off. Our room had the most spectacular views from both our patio and bedroom. The in-house market on the first floor had everything you needed from fresh bread to toiletries, alcohol etc. You basically did not have to leave the resort. We did not eat at the restaurants on premises due to our day trips but they were bustling upon notice. By far seems like the nicest hotel on the strip. English was spoken by staff and most guest were either British or Spanish.

Room Tip: Confirm room prior to arrival. Opt for sea view room or suite. Worth the euro's
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cmh1020
Reviewed 13 October 2013

we have stayed at this hotel before with RCI timeshare exchange. We had a very enjoyable stay last time and again this time. Staff are friendly and approachable. Hotel is very clean and well appointed. we were not disturbed by any noise such as doors slamming or noise from the next rooms tv. Facilities are excellent, there is an onsite supermarket, bars, restaurants, poolside is lovely and again spotlessly clean. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the local bars and restaurants in benalmadena. For those who find the heat too much to walk in there are always plenty of taxi's waiting outside the hotel.
my only criticism is that we stayed in a one bed apartment which actually is designed to sleep 4 as there is a pull down bed settee. I think the apartment would be very cramped if 4 people stayed there. as it was there was only me and my husband so it was fine for two people. I certainly would want a larger apartment if our two teenage daughters came with us. I must say this is the smallest apartment we have had with RCI This said I would recommend susnset beach to anyone and I am sure we will go back to this hotel whenever we return to benalmadena

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple