“Great Place To Stay”

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Great Place To Stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We returned to this hotel after enjoying a good time there last October and again we was not disappointed.The rooms are pleasant enough and are cleaned and tidied on a daily basis Sunset Beach has something for everyone and caters well for kids. The pool area is great with 2 main pools and 2 toddler pools, plenty of sunbeds are available although that does not stop sad people from queuing up from 8am to get the best ones. Around the pool there is pleasant bar area serving cold drinks and basic snacks. Pool tables, table tennis, darts and a soft play area are also available nearby. The hotel has all the facilities you would expect with free WIFI available in certain parts of the hotel, though not in room unfortunately. There is an on site supermarket which is a bit expensive but a 1 min walk across the road from hotel is a bigger supermarket which is less expensive. The main hotel restaurant again is pleasant enough but quite expensive for what it serves. I would recommend venturing out to the beach front restaurants especially Saint Tropez which serves top quality sea food (10 min walk) or Puerto Marina where I would recommend Metro restaurant and El Greco (20 min walk) for a more varied and better quality offering. Plenty of entertainment was provided over the 2 main hotel bars in the evenings for both kids and adults with discos and shows put on by the enthusiastic staff. There is plenty of places to visit nearby including the cable car trip up the mountains, sea life centre, Aqualand is a short bus ride away. I would recommend taking a trip to Benalmadena Pueblo (20 min bus ride) which is a lovely village in the mountains where there is a more authentic Spanish feel than down on the coast.

All in all this is a great place to stay whether you are on your own, a couple or as a family.

9 Thank Langers_Stu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (989)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions over many years and have always been happy enough.

The hotel itself is in a good location, not far from the airport, about €25 in a taxi. And is away from the hustle and bustle in a nice area with the beach on your doorstep.
There is a very good supermarket & bakery on the 1st floor of the hotel where you can get your everyday bits & pieces or there's a bigger Supercor just across the road if you need a bigger shop.
There is also a hairdressers where I did get my hair done and the girl was very nice and professional. There is now a massage bed outside by the pool where you can book a massage for during the day which I also took advantage of, and it was well worth it, the woman was just amazing!!

The breakfast at the hotel was nice, not the nicest I've ever had but was nice. We went to the hotel restaurant one night and I have to say, the food was very nice, pricey in comparison with local restaurants but a lot nicer!
Lunch at the hotel was also very good and reasonable.

We stayed on the 12th floor which I thought was a bit high, I got a bit dizzy looking over the balcony, anytime we've stayed before we've always gotten the first floor which is handy. However, we had a beautiful sea view as requested. Our room in my opinion was very small, there was 3 adults and one child and thank god we only booked a week as we couldn't move around easily. The hotel was always spotless but everyday cleaning of our room was minimal, there was dirt left from previous. The rest of the hotel was spotless & the pool area was always keep very clean.
Hats off to the staff as they were always out cleaning, I could see them from our balcony constantly going over the areas.

The only issue I think everybody has with the Sunset is them god dam sun loungers!! It's the only thing that brings the holiday down. There must be hundreds of beds and it's still not enough as queues start from 8am until the gates open at 9am and people run like ants to reserve 4 beds each with towels and go off for the day and arrive back at 3pm. I've never had to of that on any holiday so I don't understand why it has to happen here?
I went down one morning to join one of many queues, and a random woman started arguing with me in the queue over god knows what.
Then the gates open and it's unreal, everybody runs to their preferred sunbed, people row, and then go back to bed. It's horrible. I could see people arguing every morning. I hope someone can come to some sort of arrangement regarding this issue as it's madness. You go away to relax and end up getting up at 7:30am to stand in a queue!!

Other than that the hotel is ideal, the staff are lovely & good location.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Claudyd
jtownsend
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I just flew back from staying in the sunset beach hotel with my husband & 3 kids ( ages 14,12 & 9). I read all the trip advisor reviews before i went & to be fair they weren't far wrong. We really enjoyed our 9 day stay in this very friendly complex on the beach front. I promised i would write a very honest review of my experience when i returned so here it goes - The complex itself has 14 floors, we stayed on the 8th , there was 5 of us so we got a external apartment …a must as internal apts have no views & are very claustrophobic. Our apt was the best i've stayed in, spotlessly clean with gorgeous views. The apt was cleaned everyday & fresh towels were left everyday. There was a plasma tv in our room & air con, also it was very well equipped ….iron, hair dryer etc……DO NOT stay on the 5th floor , this is the corridor down to the games room & night entertainment ….kids & teenagers running down this corridor all night ……Entertainment is held in the moonlight bar ……entertainment is excellent & very professional but the moonlight bar is very dark & very hot ( you could be anywhere ) it is down the 5th floor corridor away from everything ,,,,,you'd never think you were on holidays. The shop on the complex ( 1st floor ) is wonderful , very reasonable with a beautiful bakery, fresh breads everyday. There are 2 bigger shops just outside the complex if you wanted to do a bigger shop. There is also a hairdressers & gym on the 1st floor. You have a number of restaurants along the promenade that are very reasonable ….its about a 20 min walk to the marina which is beautiful, so much going on down there …..shops , boat rides etc…..BUT one of the nicest restaurants we ate in was the fabulous restaurant in the sunset beach hotel…..top quality food & the presentation was exquisite….& to top it off very reasonable. NOW for the honest part of my review …..the BEDS……an nightmare. When we arrived we had no idea what we had let ourselves in for,,,,but we arrived at midday & when we arrived at the pool we were made aware of the whole fiasco with the beds……For 9 days my husband got up at 7.30am to queue for our beds so we could have an umbrella….there are about 1,000 beds & 86 umbrella's ( i counted them). It was insane…..when the gates were open at 9am adults leapt over people ( who were queueing from 7.30am to get their beds) they were throwing their towels over people to get the beds they wanted. Then they'd head back to bed or off to the beach & maybe come back in the afternoon to their beds…..It really was terrible. To be fair i spoke to the management who were v good & they organised for a member of staff to lift the towels off the beds at 10am & again at 12pm if you were not on your bed, i feel this made a bit of a difference but you still had to queue at 7.30am every morning if you wanted an umbrella ( i would suggest at least another 300 umbrellas needs to be bought for this complex)……..All in all this complex is excellent for kids & teenagers ( wi fi area's on every floor ). I have to say our kids had a ball & there were tears as they left ( but my husband was looking forward to a lie in ), everyone was so friendly & helpful……..I hope this review was helpful & i'm sure the sunset beach will address the issue of the beds / umbrella's as they have got everything else 100%.

Room Tip: don't stay on the 5th floor, ask for external apt. Be prepared to get up at 7.30am to queue for...
19 Thank jtownsend
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for writing your honest review of your recent 9 day holiday at Sunset Beach Club and for your kind comments about our hotel facilities and staff. (I’ll be sure to let the kitchen team know you were impressed with the quality and presentation if the food).

Regarding the sun bed situation, I’m sorry if this affected your holiday. I fully understand your frustration and as you know, we have introduced a new policy to remove towels from sun beds which are not being used. This has definitely improved the situation and we will continue to monitor and review this. I have also made a note of your suggestions about sun umbrellas and will certainly pass them on to the general manager so that he may take them into consideration for next season.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sunset Beach Club in the not-too-distant future.

Kind regards,

Justin Thompson
Community Manager
Shaldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Been back year after year and looking forward to October to go again. Great place, staff and service. Always spotlessly clean, great food and great value happy hours. The on site shop is great for fresh bread but just up the road on the right is a brill supermarket for a quarter of the price! The breakfast buffet is great value. Can't recommend enough!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank beckalina77
North West
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Kids loved the pool area, soft play area and mini disco. Great bar and restaurant with 2 beaches close by for a day on the beach. Its a great view from the sea view rooms only slight -ve is if your on the side their is a trash area all under cover and hidden but still there. Breakfast great and well recommended to take as an option, great quality and lots of choice. Great stay.

Room Tip: High floors the better the views.
5 Thank 633AM2012
SunsetBeachClub, Community Manager at Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kind comments about our hotel and facilities.

I’m so pleased your kids loved the pool, soft play area and the mini disco and that you all enjoyed our buffet breakfast!

I hope we’ll have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again soon.

Kind regards,

Justin Thompson
Community Manager
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very nice, clean hotel with plenty of activities for young and old, we had a fantastic week here and will definitely be visiting again, only disappointment was the price of food and the ignorant so and so's leaving towels on sun lounges for hours without being occupied, all in all fantastic holiday

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Chriscop1985
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a very well run hotel. The staff are excellent.
Prices for the restaurant and supermarket can be a little high.
This is a great hotel for families with children as they have plenty of activities to keep the little one occupied.
This one thing that we did not like about this hotel was the distance out it is from Benalmadena. Its a good 40 minutes walk to the Marina and longer to the centre of town but there was always plenty of taxis available outside the reception area (€6-€8 to the Marina depending on time of day).
We had 2 adjoining 1 bedroom apartments which were on the 10th Floor and had excellent sea views even though the noise from the swimming pool can be a little off putting.
Free WiFi available in certain parts of the hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a sea view.
6 Thank autoplas