“What a difference a year makes” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Triton

Best Triton
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“What a difference a year makes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year and returned again this year because we enjoyed it so much however. This hotel is supposed to be 4 star but is very average 3 star at best. The furniture in the rooms was falling apart, the view from the balcony was appalling, the aircon was next to useless, the fridge in the room didn't work and despite reporting the problem was not fixed, the food was terrible particularly the evening meal which was poor quality. Most of the hotel staff are ok and the cleaners are excellent however the reception staff who should be the most helpful and friendly are miserable and inefficient and if I managed the hotel I would sack them all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Paul H
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Sir:

First of all we would like to thank you for your review. We consider our customers´ feedback very important to improve the service of our hotel.
We deeply regret that on this second visit you have not been fully satisfied compared with the first one. We can assure you that it have not changed absolutely nothing from one year to another as far as in quality food, facilities, maintenance and service are concerned.
In our case, and this is the policy of our chain, services and attentions in various aspects have been increased and satisfaction of our customers, expressed through a reply form, has increased up to an average of 80%. Those forms are contrasted with names, surnames, addresses, check in and check out dates, room number, etc. However, we take note and try to verify everything you mention in order to improve everything under deficiency. We love to welcome you once again in our hotel in a near future

Sincerely yours.

Hotel Best Triton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Going to Triton I was a little bit worried reading the bad reviews, but after spending there almost two weeks, I was happy with my choice.
The hotel was built in 1961 and you can see that easily once you walk in the reception area; but this is the only place where the age is so evident: the rooms are really spacious, the bathrooms as well and really very well cleaned up every day; the restaurant is big and has a modern and elegant style. Exactly because it was the first hotel built in Benalmadena, Triton has exceptional grounds, large and beautifully landscaped: two big swimming pools, two smaller for the kids; plenty chaise-longs, a nice terrace where you can enjoy a cold drink or a snack during the day, or you can enjoy the shows in the evening. I visited other hotels in the area, and I was really surprised how small their gardens where and how impersonal the pool area was (only asphalt all around, no grass, no landscaping); one of the hotel has an impressive lobby, but that’s all that’s nice about it. So, depending of what is important for you, I found this hotel very good for families with young children and for couples (because of the location).
We had no bad experience with the staff, au contrary, we were always served with a smile and courtesy; it is true that we had a hot water problem once during our stay (13 days) and they have problems with one or two of the coffee machines that they seem incapable of fixing, but there were the only problems we had.
The food is quite good; of course you start to feel that is a little bit repetitive, but is normal after two weeks; even at home we repeat some dishes sometimes.
Another positive point is the location: above the beach and at a short walking distance to the most beautiful marina we ever saw!
I would have no doubt in recommending this hotel to my friends, as is a very good three and a half star hotel, much better than many three and a half star on the North American continent.

Room Tip: Upper floors are better
6 Thank justprincess
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Guest,

We are grateful for your positive review about our hotel and we really like to know that you have enjoyed your stay in Triton Hotel.

Our best satisfaction is knowing that our guests have enjoyed their holidays.

We appreciate your feedback and we will try to improve our guest´s satisfaction.

On behalf of all the hotel team and myself, many thanks for your kind words.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Sincerely.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This hotel is not for either the elderly or the British. We, (myself 62, my husband 70 with a back problem, and my Mother 83 with heart problems), arrived and placed our cases in the luggage room until our rooms were ready. When they were ready the porter got our cases out and asked if we needed help to the rooms, he said we just had to go around the corner and down the corridor to the lift, fine we said we could manage that. What he didn't say was we were in the annex and had to carry our luggage down 32 steps to get to the lift!!! We had booked two twin rooms one for single occupancy, when we got to the rooms, on the second floor, my Mother was very upset when she saw her room which was a (disputed) single room looking out onto a balcony half covered by a tree, a large storage tank and a wall. I said we would see our holiday rep. the next day. We had our evening meal which I must say was very good, we were on a half board tariff, and found all meals were very good, can't say the same about the waiters most of them were very unsmiling and unhelpful. After dinner we decided that because we had had an early start we would retire to the balcony with a drink and our books, a nightly ritual when we are on holiday, shock number three, light on the balcony didn't work. Next morning I went to see the holiday rep. explained our concerns which she went with to the reception desk. When she returned she said they had insisted my mothers room was a ''small double'' and no other rooms were available (still not what had been booked and paid for) and believe this if you like, they had had to switch off the balcony lights because they had so many complaints about them!!!!! My explanation, is, going by the totally inadequate lighting in the bathroom they are obviously trying to save on electricity, but only in the annex because all balcony lights were on in the main in the main building. To get around the problem of no balcony lights they said they would deliver an extension cable to use with a table light to put outside so we could read, not ideal but better than nothing. The cable arrived, when through hand signals I asked where I would plug it (there is a distinct lack of electric sockets) he moved the desk and pointed to the television plug, I then asked what I would plug into the other end because there was no table light in the room, he said we would have on in one hour, we were still waiting for it on the day we left 13 days later. The fact we had to carry our own bags down to the lift was not even mentioned. Getting a sun bed is a nightmare, it is case of if you can't beat them join them and put your towels on the bed before 8.30am. some of the beds have towels on them from before 8.00am. until after 3.00pm. with no one using them. There was a large wasps nest in the garden, it must have been seen by hotel staff, but until we reported it, and the rats, nothing had been done. After we reported it the nest was blocked up and poison was put down for the rats. The animation team and shows were very amateurish, and the mini disco was advertised a starting at 21.15hrs. but never started on time the whole two weeks we were there, in fact one night it was after 22.00hrs. I have never been to a hotel where the staff are so unsmiling, and unfriendly, all I can say is they must be very unhappy in their jobs. Overall we would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are in the annex refuse to leave reception until you have been moved.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank AlexandrinaC
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. They help us to improve our services.
We regret that in your case a bad impression of our hotel has been kept. I can tell you for sure that British customers are probably the most numerous European customers that we have and for us they are extremely important. We always try to accommodate guests with limited mobility in the main building, in your case nobody warned us of your physical and health conditions. Unfortunately during those days the hotel was almost fully booked and the average stays were at that time mostly of two weeks. This is the reason why it was very difficult to book the two rooms in the same floor in the main building. It is true that there are several steps to go from one building to another, but not all steps are together. There are different levels along the corridor to make movement easier.
We appreciate your comments regarding meals. In terms of staff, we will take measures to improve this issue.
Concerning the umbrellas and sun-loungers in the garden. You are right when you say that it is not acceptable to put towels on the sun loungers and not to be used them. To avoid this, at arrivals we provide to all costumers a welcome information about the rules to follow during their stays but unfortunately some of them behavior´s is not civic. Currently we still looking for a solution to make everyone satisfied.
The garden has an area of almost 18000 m2 (193750 ft2) and the interior as well as the perimeter is perfectly clear of insects, rodents and disinfected according to EU and local laws standards, but you also know that keep wasps under control is sometimes not easy.
As far as the animation is concerned, it is true that times are set, but sometimes there are not enough people at the programmed time –that could happen the day you were- and probably they started a little bit later to have more ambiance. We assure you that your reviews will not fall on deaf ears and we will take the necessary measures to remedy these shortcomings. However, we also hope that for your part you will give us a second chance to prove you that we take things seriously in regards to the well-being of our customers. In the trust to welcome you once again at the hotel (warning us about your health and movements problems in order to accommodate you in the main building) we take the opportunity to send you our best regards.

Sincerely yours

Burnley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Triton 10th -17th and would never go back again. I am a frequent traveller in my 50's and this is the first time I have ever felt a need to write a 'poor review'. My friend and I arrived to find the outside and the reception area 'dated and unwelcoming' but that was nothing compared to the rudeness and ignorance of the staff. We went to our room to find old broken furniture (broken drawers, chips of furniture, stains on surfaces and the back had fallen off the bedside cabinet).The room was hot and no evidence of working air con. I attempted to call reception but the phone didn't work either !! Went to reception to find completely disinterested staff. I requested a change of rooms to be told none were available which was hard to believe as the hotel did not appear to be that full. When I persisted I was told to return the following morning I repeated this exercise for 3 days before giving up. On no occasion was I met with any interest let alone an apology for the unsatisfactory state of the room. The public areas including the pool were kept beautiful and clean and the position of the hotel is superb. The food is very good and varied and there is the opportunity to dine outside on a lovely terrace. The service is very poor and apart from one waiter we found the rest of the staff miserable and unengaging they even looked away to avoid interaction with any of the guests. The cleanliness of our room was very poor our drinking glasses were not changed all week ( we just had to keep washing them ourselves) used teacups and pots and left over milk were left from the day before ( we had to place them outside our room on the landing) one set of towels were left for 2 people the whole experience was one of complete indifference. I attempted to get a cup of tea following a night out and was told 'no room service' available. On our last night we asked the night reception for an early morning call as we had a 7 am flight he wrote it down on an impressive sheet but that was as far as our request got fortunately our alarms did not let us down as the receptionist did his response when we asked what happened to our call was a shrug of his shoulders. I always opt to stay 4star and there is no way this hotel is
a four star hotel.I am not a complaining middle aged women quite the opposite I am a happy go lucky person who enjoys life and looks on the bright side of life I have wrote this to save others from being disappointed on their hard earned holidays .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clarky55
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
“Dear guest,

With great sadness we read on Trip Advisor your reviews regarding our hotel and by them it seems that we have failed to meet your expectations to spend a pleasant holidays.

Our task is always to find out why all these incidents have occurred during your stay and why these problems have not been solved quickly and diligently to avoid your disappointment, anyhow we’ll take all necessaries measures to prevent these kind of incidents..
We assure you that if this complaints would have made directly to the Front Desk Manager or to Management the problems have been successfully resolved .

However we appreciate your positive comments about public areas, food, garden and pools.

We deeply regret what happened and as our goal is the welfare of our customers during their stay. Thank you very much for your feedback to help us to achieve this.

We also hope that this setback will not be an impediment to welcome you once again at the Best Triton in the near future.

With our best regards.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at the triton for one week from the 27th june 2013. We are a family of 3(2 adults and 1 child). I have to say I booked this holiday well in advance after reading good reviews on trip advisor. A couple of months before we were due to go I read a lot of poor reviews and was naturally very worried about going to this hotel. I will now give my review of this hotel. This hotel is listed as 4star and in my opinion it should be a 3star. What I didn't know was that this hotel was built in 1961! It was one of the original hotels on the costa del sol and was probably THE place to go. When you walk into the reception area it is just like walking into a 70'S time warp!! I am sure some of the original features and decore are still there now! Although it was clean it needs a good refurbishment to look more modern. What really lets this place down more than anything is the staff. They are rude, ignorant and are really not interested in anything that you say to them. They all look like they hate their jobs. When we got to our room it was boiling hot. The air conditioning was on and making a noise but there was no cold air blowing out. We did complain but the "friendly" staff were not interested. We discovered over the course of our holiday that the air conditioning was not working in any of the rooms as hundreds of people were complaining! The weather averaged 30 degrees every day so it was really difficult sleeping at night. Getting ready to go out for dinner was also hard as it was so hot in the rooms. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. It was buffet style and served in the main restaurant. Again there were problems. There were numerous toasters and hot drinks machines and they all kept breaking down. The hotel was full and lots of people were complaining but the staff were not interested. One of the drinks machines was spurting boiling water out towards you. The remedy for that was to chuck a table cloth on the floor in front of it and expect people to carry on using it!!! I think a lot of these problems are due to the age of the hotel and obvious lack of general maintenance.
Now I will talk about the good points. Our room was a good size with two double beds which were comfy. The room was spotless and the cleaners came every day and made beds and gave fresh bath towels etc. There was lots of wardrobe space and the bathroom had a good power shower. we had a balcony with a partial sea view and there was no noise at night. The best feature of this hotel is the grounds. The outdoor areas are beautifull. This is clearly what attracts people to this hotel(myself included). There are two big swimming pools and hundreds of palm trees in well tendered gardens. Sunbeds were plentifull and it was never a problem getting one. Walk through the gardens and there is a gate which leads directly onto the beach. The hotel is in a fabulous location. There are numerous bars and restaurants on your doorstep and the marina is only a five minute walk. We only ate breakfast in the hotel and the rest of our meals we ate out. We never had a bad meal in any of the places we ate in. We ate in the restaurants at the harbour at night and they were lovely. The views were great and so was the food. We spent most of our time by the pools or on the beach. We did a few days out. We went to the crocodile park in torremolinos. This was fab and my son and husband loved it. We went on the cablecar up the mountain and watched the bird of prey show. This was also a good day out and the views were amazing. My favourite trip was to Nerja. It was a full day trip and we had the morning in Nerja and the caves then after lunch we carried on up the mountains to the white village of Frigiliana. This was a fantastic day out and well recommended. This trip was booked through one of the local agents. Overall we had a fantastic holiday. The positives out weighed the negatives. The hotel was In a perfect location to explore benalmadena and the surrounding area. I was disappointed with the hotel and would not stay there again. It is a shame as all its problems are caused by lack of general maintenance and major attitude problems from the staff. These problems could be easily rectified. When reading recent reviews of the triton everybody is saying the same thing-so do believe what you read!!!

Room Tip: pay extra for sea view if available
2 Thank mellenhead100
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear mellenhead100,
Thank you very much for your time spends on the review of our hotel. We regret that your expectations of our establishment have not been fully met. Similarly, we thank you that you have made your comments, and thanks to letters like yours, is better where we can see our weaknesses and focus all our efforts to solve them as quickly and efficiently as possible, because our main goal is the maximum satisfaction of our customers.
Kind regards

Hotel Best Tritón
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Booked very last minute ( 2days) wish had thoroughly researched hotel, but not enough time and had to take what we got.
This hotel is NEVER a 4 star, despite it's ratings. It is a good 3 star, but needs much improvement to gain 4 stars, it never ceases to amaze me how some hotels get and hold onto their star ratings in Europe.
The cost was a little under what you would expect a 4 star to be, should really have known then that things were not right, and sadly this hotel just did not measure up to a 4 star experience. Had I paid 3 star price I would have been ok, but I feel cheated and thus tagline Buyer Beware!!
The hotel looks like something out of the 60's from the outside, and not much better inside, with the reception and public areas very old, dark and really depressing, very old furniture and sadly lacking in any class at all.
Our room, we upgraded to a superior with sea view, had recently been renovated, and was a fair size with large balcony overlooking pool and sea. Shame really because room so large with very little furniture in, a missed opportunity to make it into a wow room.
I have never before in a 4 star had to pay for security box, but here we had to, such a lack of class again.
The Pool area was the only plus for the hotel, great pools and very very well kept, wish they had more parasols and monitored sun lounge abuse, thus negating having to rise at 7.30 to reserve a sunbed!!
Food was very very average for a 3 star, never reaching the standard of a 4 star hotel, staff very poor with no interaction, very blunt and never a smile!
Position is on the beach, and a stroll to the marina which was very nice.
In summary, pay only 3 star price for this hotel, do not spend more than £100 a night here otherwise you will be disappointed. will not be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Best Triton, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for sending your review. We have been reading your comments and I hope that they can help us to improve our service.

Yours Faithfully.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

after returning from a two weeks holiday at the best triton on the 2 july it gives me no pleasure in writing this review,firstly I must say the hotel its self is excellent but the annex is not for the older people,we stopped in the annex and found the rooms large and clean due to a good maid,the dows side to our holiday was the restaurant the food was cold and sometimes meats not cooked properly potatoes need to be boiled a bit longer cold and hard,we had to go out for meals sometime just to fill our tummies, im not a fussy eater but eating salad for two weeks is a bit mutch,my last comment is the staff need to get a live a friendly face would go down well,

Room Tip: annex rooms are good but not for elderly
1 Thank derrick p
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It helps us to improve our service. We always try to allocate to our elderly guests in the main building, not in the annexe. For us is important to know in advance if some of our guests have this kind of problems. We will take into account your reviews about the food to adapt our restaurant service.

Yours faithfully.