“Dated but clean”

MedPlaya Hotel Bali
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
“Dated but clean”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We have just had a week self catering and our apartment was clean, toilet did have a bad drain smell but reception sorted it as soon as we asked. Drinks n food expensive compared to other places. Eg Fagins bar 1 euro a pint! Expensive resort but no complaints! Didn't watch any shows but always seemed well attended. Loved the beach, pools very busy but was August.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Strevv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
belfast
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed at the Bali two years ago, loved it so much as a family holiday, we returned this year. Unfortunately it was a bit of a let down.

Lets look at the positives!

Entrance is spotless, reception and the staff in general are courteous and efficient, some of the bar staff could do with a refresher course at a charm school.
Food in the restaurant at breakfast time is great, both in selection and quality.
The entertainment staff are energetic and professional and on the whole, put on great shows at night and are very child-friendly.
Great sea views from Bali II building.

Ok, now for the negatives......

We were on the 6th floor or the Bali II and the carpets in the corridor were not cleaned or vacuumed for the whole of the week, fluff and dirt everywhere.
The hotel has lapsed into a bit of a state of disrepair. Broken tiles, poor unfinished repairs and painting on balcony. The pool area could do being power-washed instead of being just hosed daily.
The food in the restaurant in the evenings is a bit hit and miss. If you like chips with EVERY meal, you'll love it. More Spanish type food than last time, but it is Spain!!The locals can be very rude and dont believe in queues!!] Not a great selection of kids food. Burgers and some meats look dangerously undercooked

**Right, onto the worst bit!!!! The so called lifeguard at the pool on the side with the main bar is a liability!! On our last day a child was lying face down in the pool and had to be rescued by myself and another guest while the life guard sat texting on his phone 5 metres away.[He usually sat on his laptop instead]. My wife challanged the lifeguard, only to be given a shrug and no concern whatsoever. He said 'I didnt see him and he seems ok now'. Thankfully the child was ok. So parents of small kids, dont rely on the lifeguard to have your childs safety in mind.

Unless I read reviews of the Bali going through an upheaval, I wont be back!!

1 Thank madhatterni
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I have just returned with my family from a week’s half board stay at the Bali and can honestly say I’m shocked at some of the comments I have read about this hotel, especially the more recent ones. Admittedly we stayed in Bali 2 which seems a lot better than Bali 1 based on some of the comments made here but our experience was poles apart from other reviewers.

ROOM: Stayed in the Bali 2 – room was quite small but more than adequate for my wife, 4 year old son & I. The bed was comfortable, although the mattress was a little on the thin side! Bathroom was nice and contained a WC, Bidet, bath with shower attachment & sink. Our room was on the 8th floor and we had a balcony with a sea view which was lovely. Owing to the position of the Bali – on a hill – most of the rooms in Bali 2 from about the 4th floor up would probably benefit from a sea view. We had maid service every day with the towels being changed every day & bed linen twice in the week. The room also came equipped with a Samsung TV which had ITV 1, BBC world service & Sky News which is nice to have to catch up on events at home in the morning & when you’re getting ready to go out of an evening!! There’s also a digital safe to help keep your things safe which the hotel charge 2 Euros per day plus a deposit of 3 Euros.

FOOD: We had absolutely NO ISSUES with food whatsoever. I read one review which said that the food was ‘always pork or squid’, this is nonsense I saw NO squid at all, all week! We found the food to be appetising and varying and I can be a fussy eater! There was a Spanish night with Paella & some tapas & a gala night with Cava upon arrival at the restaurant. We had Thai red curry, Chicken chow mein, Goulash & Beef stew to name some. The chef will also cook fresh fish, chicken or turkey on the hot plate which they do in front of you. There were chips available every night if that’s what you want along with Chicken nuggets from the Kids buffet & sometimes Pizza but certainly not every night! There is also a fresh salad bar every night & they even had Mussels & a seafood salad one night! All in all my wife, 4 year old & I had no problems finding something to eat of an evening, the trouble we had was choosing what to have! Breakfast was good with Sausages, either streaky or scrunchy bacon, fried or scrambled eggs, beans, toast, pastries, fruit, yoghurt etc... Fruit juice and coffee was also available. I would challenge anyone to get a better breakfast outside!

ENTERTAINMENT: The animation team work VERY hard at this and you’re never under any pressure to get involved. In the day they had water aerobics in the morning for about 20 minutes, darts competition, ping-pong competition, lots of games for the kids & water polo which lasts about 30 minutes AT MOST! They alternate the entertainment between the pool areas so that you don’t get it all day. I certainly don’t feel that the entertainment impinged on my relaxation time! We didn’t see too much of the evening entertainment as we went out to explore the local area but what we did see looked very good, especially the ‘Dirty dancing’ show which was very good. These guys are NOT professional actors & they do their best with what they have available. Marek was the guy with the most energy; you can’t fail to notice him!

HOTEL IN GENERAL: The hotel is a bit tired in places but what do you expect for a 3 star hotel! The reception area is nice and has free Wi-Fi available. The bar area needs some attention & some of the corridors but its fine for what you pay. The hill is ok, the hotel is situated about half way up this hill but it’s a short sharp incline. I found it hard after an hour’s walk in 30 degrees to push my sons push chair up it & had I been staying for 2 weeks, I may have found it a pain but I guess it depends on your fitness levels!

BENALMADENA: Spain is struggling with the economic downturn & it’s true that some places have gone bust which has left it looking a bit run down IN PLACES however, 95% of the resort is lovely. The marina is a must & has plenty of swanky bars & restaurants to keep you occupied. You can also walk along the promenade which overlooks the beach & has some lovely bars & restaurants with some of the best seafood you have seen! You can walk into Torremelinos along the promenade which makes a nice change with again plenty of bars to keep you occupied. There is a fab park at the rear of the resort called Paloma Park which is definitely worth a visit. The park has loads of ‘free range’ wildlife, we saw Chickens, Cockerels, Ducks, Geese, Swans, Rabbits even Guinea pigs all roaming around the park for you to pick up and hold or feed! There is a bar at one end of Paloma park, with a café/bar at the other entrance. In the middle is a massive children’s play area with climbing frames etc.. The park is quite hilly in places so just be warned if you’re not so mobile!

CONCLUSION: We had a great holiday & will definitely return. We would 100% return to the Bali again without a moments hesitation but whether we would stay there for 2 weeks I’m not so sure. This would be purely down to the hill that the hotel is situated on, as I said negotiating the hill after a couple of hours walk in 30 degrees isn’t much fun but if you’re the kind of person who will wander down to the promenade, plonk yourself down at a bar for a few hours, then go back to the hotel the hill is fine. Another thing we would INSIST on would be a room in either Bali 2 or Bali 3. Bali 1 is situated right over the main hotel & would no doubt get pretty noisy of an evening. This review is purely based on my families’ recent experience & I hope it helps a little when choosing where to go on your next trip.

16 Thank bristolbluegas
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear Bristolbluegas,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us. We are glad to hear you had a great time. As you say, we make effort to give the best service to all our customers, make their holidays comfortable and enjoyable. Customers' satisfaction and loyalty is our best reward.
Thanks again and we hope to welcome again to our hotel soon!

Kind regards
Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations
Medplaya.com
south wales
Reviewed 15 August 2011

this hotel is in a stunning location on a bit of a hill,the hotel itself is a bit dated but the staff are great the rooms are a ok size the view from our room 2504 was amazing, the night entertainment was very professional they have an outdoor arena and we all loved the michael jackson tribute which was amazing,the food was a let down and im not a fussy eater at all i didnt finish a meal once in a week id recommend going self catering as everything else at this hotel was lovely, when your going visit the marena which is stunning its only a 10 min walk from the hotel,tivoli world was amazing 5 euros for taxi from the hotel go in the evening as its cooler if you have children its open till 2 in tha morning, poloma park is wonderful there are cats, rabbits, goats, ostrich, chickens, ducks running wild and you can feed and pet them my little boy loved it there and its free. all in all we had a fabulous holiday and would go again.

2 Thank XxkatexX
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2011

what a let down. had been told the bali had been modernised but no way had block 1(there are 3 blocks) been touched for years. orange walls every where,orange tiles &doors in the bathroom.the bedroom was a blue/grey colour with grey cupboards and very dated &chipped cabinets. bed very basic but linen was very clean and changed regularly. the balcony had glass panels which had huge cracks in them(no health &safety here!) and although it didn't present a problem for us adults ,could have been dangerous for young children. the food left a lot to be desired and the childrens buffet was disgraceful. pizza,pasta or chips everynight with dried up sandwiches or rolls on alternate nights. breakfast was such a nightmare we only went twice and ate out the rest of the time. numerous bowls and plates were chipped or cracked. there were 2 pools -one at block 1,suitable for older kids/adults and the other behind block 2 which was more suited to younger kids but this was the one which the adult polo was played in almost every day!! some moron also threw glass into this pool rendering it out of use for two days. there is also a toddlers pool at each block. many of the sun beds were broken and in need of a good scrub. cant fault the entertainment team-they worked their socks off and the evening shows were very good. not sure why cardiac hill is so called as it's a very small incline up to the hotel. we went to bio parc in fenguerola and thought it was excellent value, as was our trip to the selwo marina. also went to the sealife centre but to be honest it's not really worth it,the marina was far better. generally,the whole resort of benalmadena seems to have been neglected for years and this hotel is badly in need of a revamp. 1* maybe 2* at a push. we certainly wont be back

2 Thank dgee38

Travellers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2011

On arriving to the hotel we seen that 'Cardiac Hill' was really not that bad. We got to our Hotel room on the 7th floor and were dumb founded..... Blues, Oranges, Yellows... We had a very big damp patch on the ceiling above our bed. As did my parents and sisters who had their own rooms (2). (This was a family holiday of 6 people and we stayed for 2 weeks.) Our beds were like fold out camp beds and my mother had a hole in her matress. I requested another pillow and was made to wait until the next day to get it. Bare in mind I asked at the start of the day. We were Half Board and then Ungraded to All Inclusive near the end. The food was really poor. It was never warm and it was always pork or squid. There was chips every night but they were freezing. They had Paella twice which i must admit was lovely. We were always down to Breakfast and Dinner early for the doors opening and even then the food was freezing cold. When we upgraded to All Inclusive the Lunch wasnt much better so we opted to eat at the Snack Bar which was 10times nicer than the restuarant. My Fiance and Young sister were extremely ill 1 night, Vomiting from 6:00pm to 5:30am. Im not sure what it was but i believe it was Food Poisoning. If you are going Half Board i would advise you stick to it and dont upgrade to All Inclusive as its really not worth it. Most of the stuff you still have to pay an amount for. You pay half price for cocktails and you cant get chips unless you pay for them. Apart from that.... The pool was very good although we did see them scrubbing the side of the pool with bleach and then power hosing it into the pool.... 1 hour before the pool opened. The pool was a no go area that day. The entertainment was Fantasic!! There was something different every night the 2 weeks we were there. If it wasnt for the entertainment our holiday would have been ruined completely. Im am shocked that Thomson actualy promote this as their hotel. From our experiance we will not be using Thomson again. If this is what they support then i would hate to see their other hotels. I'll Stick to Thomas Cook thanks!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BelfastCraigC
London
Reviewed 4 August 2011

On checking into the hotel, I noticed the placed looked a bit run down but was very clean, so no big deal, my room on the 5th floor of the reception block was ok with a bit of sea view from the balcony, staying all inclusive being in the reception block was good for me.

Now The Issues:

Boring all inclusive food with dishes reapted several times in just an eight day stay. The food was however always eatable

Bar service slow, but you got one if you stood there long enough.

The Hotel gets very noisy and the rooms have paper thin walls so room noise an issue for me every night of stay. Friday and Saturday is party night for young spanish that come for the weekend, noise noise noise until the very early hours both nights. Did manage to get just enough sleep most nights with ear plugs ( never travel without them)

The hill is a pain - walking up it in 32c heat was not fun and I am a fairly fit 45 year old - may have been less of an issue at a cooler time of year to be honest.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo