“Really enjoyed it”

MedPlaya Hotel Bali
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Family of 3 adults and 1 child (aged 6)
The hotel staff were really friendly and facilities were good. Bedroom furniture could do with a little updating but on holiday the bedroom is only used for sleeping.
Staff were really friendly and thehotel was clean. The food, buffet style, was really good, with a great variety of both salads and hot food at both lunch and evening meals. All delicious. Even breakfast had hot and cold foods to choose from, wonderful!!
We were staying all inclusive and the choice of food and drinks was exceptional.
Well done to hotel staff especially restaurant and bar staff and thank you for a great holiday.
Pam from Manchester

5  Thank Pam S
There are newer reviews for MedPlaya Hotel Bali

Reviewed 31 August 2011

Stayed as a family of four for two weeks self catering but upgraded to all inclusive for the last nine days well worth the money. The hotel is as people have said could do with a little up dating but was always clean towels sheets changed often. The food was good and plenty of choice at all meal times. Pool area clean and always sunbeds no rush on a morning as at most hotels we have been to in the past at this time of year.The entertainment team work very hard and are always happy and plesant despite the long hours they put in always stopping to spend time with people getting to know names etc means a lot to children. overall had a great time at the Hotel Bali a lot of people seem to return year after year so this must tell you it is not all bad as some people say. Go expecting a 3 star hotel and you won't be disapointed. I will say again well done entertainment team you make the hotel and should be praised!!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in studios seem to have a lot more room.
2  Thank scotty62
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Just returned from this hotel and had a great holiday. I traveled with my husband, 9 year old son and my sister and her family. both myself and my sister read the reviews and were really worried that we had made a mistake booking this hotel. There is nothing to be worried about. the rooms were clean, especially the bathroom, which I have a thing about. On our first night the food was not up to much, there wasn't much choice and there was the famous goulash. True about the kids menu, hardly anything on it but my son eats what we eat so it wasn't a problem. I am funny what I eat and enjoyed most things on the buffet.The entertainment team work really hard day and night. Not too keen on the professional flamenco dancers.The pool area could be cleaner and it's the only hotel I've every been in august where you can still get a sunbed after 12pm. The male bar staff were ignorant, unless you weren't All incl but that's not everything. On the hole a nice hotel in a great resort. I would return !

1  Thank Vanessa611
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed there a week and the kids had a great time. Food was good and the resteraunt staff where very helpful and great with the kids. Entertainment team was fabulous at night and always upto something during the day. Hotel was very clean - standard rooms could do with an update but ok to rest your head. Only down side was my husbands wedding ring was stolen from our room, must of been one of the cleaners so use the safe in room.

Room Tip: use safe in room.
3  Thank alison d
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I have stayed in several of these Thomson family hotels now so I hope I can give an honest review comparing the Bali with other hotels.
To be fair I was not expecting much this year as this was a lower budget holiday compared to last year (Polynesia, Benalmadena), but I was pleasantly surprised.
Yes the rooms and communal areas are in desperate need of an overhaul, but if you use the room just to shower and sleep then that is no major issue. They are cleaned daily and towels regularly changed and the family rooms in Bali 3 are quite spacious.

There was always a sun bed available even in August! Not always the case in other hotels. Umberellas are harder to find but for 8 Euros you can buy one in a shop 50 metres from the hotel if you like. Both pools had reasonable space around them and a seperate kids pool was in a quieter area.

Buffet style restaurants are always like a circus at the best of times in these 3* and 4* hotels but this one was ok. Busy, but never over busy.
The food was very reasonable. A different selection of meats and fish everyday and the usual chips, salads and ice creams. We had upgraded from half board to all inclusive on arrival at a cost of 15 Euros per adult per day. I would say this was worth doing, but I have to say I did hear other guests moaning that they could not eat the food, but I can honestly say that if they were expecting any more from a 3* hotel then they have their head in the clouds!

Animation team did work tirelessly, they deserve lots of credit, but dont expect professional shows, it is low budget and geared towards the kids, but they are watchable.

Cardiac hill does tug on the calves a little but it is good exercise. Maybe a bit of a problem for push chairs and would avoid if you are dodgy on your legs. Older people who are not very good on their legs would find it difficult to walk to the beach. A 100m fairly steep hill followed by 69 steps, as my young boy counted twice a day!
Once on the sea front though, it is a great place for long easy walks in either direction. The Marina is a must to walk round. The other direction is packed with lovely restaurants.

All in all Benalmadena is a great place to visit. The down side is that nearly all hotels have a fairly steep hill to contend with. The 4* Hotel Riviera is probably better positioned for the less mobile people as it looks to have a lift down to the sea front.

Hope you find this review helpful.

5  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 28 August 2011

To be fair, we picked this hotel because of the price and should have realised the quality would be reflect the price, but their were basic faults that you shouldn't expect however cheap.

We arrived late, about 11.30. We checked in easily, were given directions to our rooms, and were told there was a buffet available if we were hungry. All looked so promising. My mother in law was in Bali 2 and we were in Bali 3. My husband took the bags to my mother in laws room, while I went off to find ours. We had been given the wrong directions, and found ourselves lost. I asked a security guard for directions to our room, who had no idea, but did do a good comedy routine of running up and down stairs and reappearing from different directions and lifts for 10 minutes, which would have been funny if I didn't have 3 tired hungry children with me. We eventually found our room, which didn't have enough beds in it (to be fair Thomsons fault, not the hotel), but no sign of my husband. We eventually found him still walking the corridors dragging suitcases as the key to my mother in laws room didn't work. Rather than fix this or allocate another room the answer given was to find the security guard to let her in and out with the master key! In a building the size of the Bali not really an answer, but it was late and we decided it would do until the morning. By now we had missed the buffet and ate cereal bars for dinner, outside the main bar that appeared to contain only the most hard core of revellers, staggering over a tiny dance floor while bleary eyed children who should have been in bed watched from chairs on the side. Not a good first impression!!!

Our family room was a good size, with a view of the pool, but was in a corner which meant the balcony did not get any sun at all, and I left towels out to dry all day and they would still be wet in the evening. There were broken tiles iand ants in the bathroom and the shower leaked. The Camp bed my sun was given was just about ok for a ten year old but not anyone bigger. The pillows were the most flat and uncomfortable I have ever come across and you only get one. Don't bother asking for more, you won't get any. That said our room was luxury compared to my mother in laws, which was tiny with three beds crammed into it. It was dark and dingy, with all the same problems as ours, but the added bonus of the air conditioning not working. We complained about this every day, to both reception and the rep, but it was never fixed and they wouldn't give a new room. This resulted in 6 of us having to use one room, laid out for 3 people as her room was unusable when temps reached 37 degrees. Not only squashed it was also a nightmare with the one key card you are allocated, if anyone wanted to go do something different to the others.

We were half board and I was glad we didn't upgrade to all inclusive. The food is poor. Yes their is a good choice, but in the end it is all overly salted mush that all tastes the same, and ranges from cold to luke warm. The kids buffet every day consisted of something in bread crumbs, cold chips and either sandwiches or rolls so stale and dried up I would have thought twice about feeding them to the birds let alone my kids. The restaurant feels like a school canteen with long queues and pushing and shoving. At breakfast their are only two drinks and toast machines which means huge queses and one morning only one drinks machine worked which turned it beyond annoying to ridiculous.

The pool by the main bar is very deep and only suitable for strong swimmers, the kids pool next to it too small and shallow for any child over 7. The other pool is slightly better, with a shallower end, but this becomes crowded as gets very deep very quickly, so children that are not strong swimmers are stuck in one end. The lifeguards may as well not be there. They allow loads of kids to do dangerous stuff, which I know their parents should take responsibility for, but the life guard should also look up from his phone once in a while. The kids pool at the back was the nicest bit and generally where I made my kids stay because it was safest, although it can be difficult to get one of the dirty broken sun loungers there as people reserve them early, as it is quieter, even though they don't have small children and then fail to return for the rest of the day.

The public areas in the hotel are dated and dusty. There are broken tiles in and around the pool. I watch a cleaner clean the toilets next to the cafe then empty the bucket of dirty water outside, where people walk barefoot. The staff, from reception to the bar are rude, uninterested and unhelpful.

The only exception to this are the entertainment team who make an outstanding effort throughout the day and evening. There are adult and children activities all day, and plenty of entertainment for everyone in the evening, although I question whether watching two men play the wii every evening was necessary or really entertainment? The one big complaint we had was their is strobe lighting in some of the shows and there is no warning and this could have been dangerous for one of our party who had to make a quick exit.

The hotel is up a long hill as everyone knows and there is a busy road at the bottom before you get to the beach. The hill is probably manageable for most, but wasn't for my mother in law. It is conveniently place for bus stops and shops.

All in all I wouldn't go back to this or another med player hotel. There was a road sign pointing to the Bali, which said it was 2 star and I definitely think this was more accurate than the 3 it is advertised as.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Spent one week there with family - 2 older teens.

The Good Stuff - The Entertainment team are amazing and really work hard for the guests. They always try to involve everyone and their dancing skills on the nightly shows were fantastic. Most of the staff are courteous and helpful. The food is plentiful, varied and will suit most peoples tastes. There was plenty of sun and the pools were warm and never too crowded, given it was August. The sea/beach is about 250 metres away and despite 'cardiac' hill most people will be fine.

The not so good - Placed in the wrong rooms in Bali 2 and had to move following day to Bali1. Although these rooms were better, all 4 of the rooms we had smelled strongly of smoke even though they were all non smoking rooms. They were also tired looking. If you are just sleeping in them then don't worry! The bar staff were a bit slow on occasion, sometimes felt like I was wearing a cloak of invisibility. The pools looked like they could do with a clean and the sunbeds need covering - buy a cheap lilo to use as a cushion.

Overall - After the initial shock over the rooms and food on day 1, we enjoyed the holiday. It was not entirely my cup of tea and I saw other holiday makers with bigger issues. If you have children between approx 5-12 years then they will be well catered for. Older teens will find it limiting. This hotel needs some TLC to maintain its 3 stars. It appears to be in decline. The rooms did have good views and were cleaned daily. Overall not bad.

Room Tip: I would avoid Bali 2 if possible as some of the rooms are very small