“Fantastic”

MedPlaya Hotel Bali
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This has been our 4th year here at the Bali, we really cannot fault it! it is a great 3* hotel, great food, cheerful staff and a superb entertainment team.
I cannot understand why people have issues and take photographs of marks on walls and stains, plus cracks on tiles, if you want 5* then pay the price and stay in a 5* hotel.
The pool side snack bar is well run and service is quick and friendly, the restaurant has a wide selection of food options and the staff again are welcoming. The entertainment team are outstanding, Victor, Marik, Sarah and all are very attentive, they always have time for you, even off duty!
Cannot really fault the hotel, yes it is on a steep hill, however after a hearty breakfast a good bit of exercise is required!
Cannot wait to return here again soon!

Room Tip: Reception staff were happy to assist and allocated the room we requested.
5  Thank Jackie S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,989)

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We arrived late on the 29th july, the reception had a english speaker which was easier.We were checked in very fast and was told that evening meal hadnt finished yet so they would store our bags so we could go and get something to eat. The rooms were quite big we had a family room and we looked over the pool on the bottom level. Plenty of coat hangers but wardrobe was quite small for a family of 4.The rooms are cleaned on a daily fesh towels if you need them. It was the usual for sunbeds we had young childrens so we liked to be around the small pool so you had to put towels on the sunbeds, if you werent bothered then there was space for sunbedes with empty ones too. The entertainment staff work very hard. Day and night they were there 7 days a week. What they get paid isnt enough. . Activities for adults and kids. Talent shows at night for the kids. Free bingo, kids disco. Shows on nearly every night. The shows were very good. Mamma mia, we will rock you, Millieum and plenty more.Men come in showin there animals just be careful with the reptile people if you have your photo taking its with there camera not yours as they will block you.They are expensive too.
The dining room have friendly staff working hard too Very good with the kids high fiving them and always speaking.. Plenty of food, soups very nice. Fruit, plenty of salad stuff, pasta meat fish its all there.Small selection in the childrens side. All inclusive there is burgers and toasted sandwiches in betweent he dining room times. At 9.30pm you can have crisps too. Ice crem is all you can eat.
The bar staff are rude and grumpy.If there a spanish guest waiting to be served and you have ben waiting a while they will serve them first.Only 2 drinks per person . The bali has 3 different blocks .
Cardiac hill is steep but seen worse. It just hard in 30 deg heat. Only did it a couple of times. We ahd a fab time and would love to go back.

2  Thank jo34_11
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an 8 night stay at this hotel and had a really great time. Benalmedina is a cracking resort which has something for everyone and is totally recommended for those who want a busy resort with plenty to do. We went the first week in August and the weather was predictably scorching.

Hotel service- I emailed the hotel some weeks beforehand with a query and requested a sea view and boy did they deliver! When we flung the curtains open on arrival I couldn't believe my eyes. We had been given room 2709 in Bali 2 which had the most amazing panoramic sea view of the resort. For this alone I thank the hotel as looking out at this view day and night really made my holiday!

Overall the service was great. The resturant staff and our cleaner in particular were so lovely. However, those who have complained about one female member of staff at the bar I know exactly who and what you mean! I didn't know her name but needless to say she looks like Angelina Jolie and clearly thinks she is because the two times she served me we're pleasant. She looked bored, detached and looked at me as though she hated working there and hated tourists!

Cleanliness -Not an issue, the place was nipping clean.

Location -Great central location but cardiac hill does live up to its name!! The problem is that if you spend your days at the beach like we did, you already have a very step flight of stairs to get up before you hit the hill which is also very steep. We managed but were very out if breath at the top and I'm a runner! My little girl hated this bank with a passion. If you have any health problems or are disabled I wouldn't recommend coming here.

Food - fine. No different to any 3* Spanish hotel food. Lots of choice and many typically Spanish dishes. The only problem is we were hard board and had to buy our drinks which we expected but even water which I object strongly to.

Overall
Overall we've had a great holiday. The entertainment was as great as everyone said however this is where my main gripe about this hotel comes. The Bali is a massive hotel and is more like 3 hotels instead of one. At height of season the place is super busy and on the first night when we sat to watch the entertainment it was a nightmare. Firstly we had to be seated pretty far back from the stage because of the amount of people there and then all night we had a constant sea of people standing up and down walking to and from the bar which meant we seen very little of what looked like amazing entertainment. Bali is too busy for me and we spend most of our days and evenings out in the resort. I'm relieved I didn't pay AI as would have not have been happy with queues at the bar etc. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Benalmedina and Hotel Bali. I would like to thank the hotel and all staff but one fiesty female barmaid. Honey, if you don't like your job that much leave. You are letting a pretty good hotel down badly with you poor attitude!!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Booked hotel purely as it was a Med Playa Hotel having stayed at Hotel Calypso in Salou last year enjoyed it that much we wanted same type of hotel just in a different location to explore new things. Here are my conclusions baring in mind I cant help but compare it to the Calypso.

Arrival/Reception

On arrival 1pm Tuesday we were told our room wasnt ready and could we come back in 30 mins to be fair to reception they gave us our All Inclusive Arm Bands and let us put cases etc in luggage room as it was lunch time we went straight to the dining room for some food. If it had been different time of day i could understand some peoples frustrations at room not being ready.

Rooms

Room 2110 in Bali II, we requested a pool view & sea view although having only booked 6 days before we went I didnt think we would have a chance of our request however we got it and I cannot fault the room or service. 3 Single Beds, very comfortable not a massive room but big enough for 3 of us and for the time you spend in there who cares. Rooms cleaned everyday, beds made and fresh towels. I thought this was exceptional ive been to other hotels were you would get it cleaned once a week along with towels so 5 stars from that point of view.

Dining Room

Based on ground floor and being all inclusive we visited this 3 times a day and all I can say is 5 stars, variety of food for everyone, always hot. Bar Service as well. Waiter work very hard taking finished plates, glasses etc away as soon as you finished. One waiter sorry didn't get his name but great with the Kids, we had a 3 year old and she loved it, we always sat down on the bit he was working at. He would high 5 the kids and always talk to them etc made you feel very welcome.

Bar Service

We always used the bar next to the entertainment stage for while we where sitting round the pool and of course on a night when the entertainment was on. Unfortunately for me no stars, as per other peoples comments, miserable staff, had no interest in a conversation with you. When asking for pints/cocktails etc they would look at you as if you were trying to rob them. Don't they realise that us Brits have worked hard all year round to be able to afford an all inclusive holiday. No queing system either, so for a long bar people were just standing anywhere, at Calypso you had to stand in que there was no way of pushing in etc and bar staff were much more friendly. Also as per other people's comments there is alot of spanish in hotel, either staying there for a holiday as well but also locals and they would shout out there drinks order before the english and get served. Also snakes at bar werent great toastie sandwiches and that was about it. snack bar at calypso was great with show cooking. Surely Management of hotel bali you need to take all these comments on board about your bar service and do something about it.

Entertainment Team.

A very very hard working entertainment team, work from 11am in morning to 1pm at night 7 days a week and I would imagine for very little pay. Activities on all day long for adults and kids. Med playa song round the pool was always good to watch. Entertainment on a night, mini disco at 8.30 followed by bingo then your show at 10pm. Some shows better than others, we saw Grease, MJ Tribute, Hollywood Lights these were all very rehearsed and choreographed. If I had to pick a fault and I'm only saying this as I cant help but compare it to Hotel Calypso there needs to be more live singing in the shows. Alot are myned but im not taking anything away from these entertainers as there is alot of dances to remember etc. Marek you are a credit to the team, funny and hardworking. Kids loved you.

Summary of Hotel/Place.

We enjoyed the hotel and holiday overall with just a few things letting it down, hotel is situated on a hill which people call cardiac hill but I didnt think it was that bad at all even with push chair or wheel chair you could still get up it very easily, hotel is very close to beach, down the small hill and over the road and your there. Hotel itself is very clean some parts could maybe do with a little modernising but you get that anywhere I think. We really enjoyed the food and drink and the pools where good fun during the day. I would go back there and would hope to see some small improvements. Is it better than the Calypso - its a good question. It is in some ways and in some ways it isnt.

Room Tip: Bali II , you get a pool and sea view with no noise from Entertainment.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank David G
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear David G,

Thank you for staying at the Medplaya Hotel Bali and for the time you spent in writing your comment about the recent holiday at this hotel. We are glad to learn that the hotel met your expectations despite some aspects mentioned in your feedback. Please be sure all the comments are forwarded to the management as it is important to make improvements and meet your needs.

Thanks once again for your opinion and we hope to welcome you here in the near future.

Kind regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Costa del Sol
Medplaya.com

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Lovely hotel. Pleasant staff. Entertainment really good. Food nice, and varied most days.
On the negative-air conditioning could have been better in the hotel. Usual claiming of sun beds first thing in the morning!
On the positive-we booked late (3 days before flying), and got a sea and pool view without request! :)
Beach is ok-but sea not as blue as other beaches visited in Spain.
On the whole a really nice holiday, and would consider visiting in the future!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Me, my partner and 2 children stayed at the Bali for 10 days at the end of July 2013 and we had a great time.The reception staff were extremely polite and helpful, from the moment we arrived!!, the very nice young man on reception when we arrived even left his post to walk partway to show me which way to go to our room, as I was just a little confused. I can not credit him enough, as every time we had a question about buses etc or anything,(he was always unlucky enough to be there lol) he just did the best he could and we got there in the end!! We were not supposed to be booking in until 3pm but as our room was ready we were given the key two hours early. We stayed in a spacious, clean and well equipped studio flat in building 3 floor 3, the only thing I would say is that I could have done with an extra pillow on the beds, so borrowed cushions from the sofa to aid sleeping. Not a bad view from our balcony,quite a built up area, but still a lovely view of the sea and considering the entertainment went on quite late at night, if we were in we did not hear a thing from where we were! the cleaners who were very friendly came in at least five times in the time we were there and were always replacing towels for us and making beds even when not asked, an excellent service (:..the food was very good, with a good variety of hot and cold food, some gorgeous salads and fruit and plenty of choice for desert, we went HB and were more than happy, The waiters made such a fuss of the kids playing with them and teasing them, they were fab and the kids loved it and they worked so hard, I can honestly say I have never seen people move so quickly they certainly were a fantastic hardworking team and happy too!!! the kids club was great the entertainers were there for the kids on and off during the day and really got the kids going, even my 7 year old boy who is extremely shy, we could not stop him joining in in the end, he was really upset to leave. The hotel itself was very large but although it had a lot of guests every one had their own space, the studios where we were were well set apart and you never felt claustrophobic or heard too much noise, yes some of the carpets were not perfect, proberbly due to cleaner spillages etc, but really, I did not notice after the first day, or care, it did not affect our holiday at all. 2 large pools and 2 small pools, we prefered the pool on -1 floor which seemed a little quieter but used both, we could not keep the kids out of them and a mini family golf course on -1 and a brilliant cafe/bar with great food (:..all in all we had a fun laid back time, we read a few off putting reviews before we arrived and were a little worried, but we were so happy there, we can only say good things about it!! even Cardiac Hill was a breeze, a little harder after long days in the heat, but even the kids managed it without complaining too much, we would definately go there again, It was just what we wanted and Benalmadena itself is beautiful. So Thank you Bali Hotel,for a great welcoming holiday (((:

3  Thank Gayle699
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Me and my wife stayed here from the 3rd of august for a week.
First I'll have to start with the entertainment team, they work all day harder and better than any others I have seen on other visits to hotels around the costa del Sol . definitely a five star entertainment team.
The food is very good with plenty to chose from.the spirits are watered down but wich hotel dont.snacks throigh the day include burgers hot dogs and crisps.
The bar staff were very friendly as were the hotel staff.(be polite to them and they will be polite to you).as ive noticed people complain about the staff, personally me or my wife never had a problem with any.
The rooms are cleaned every day with fresh towels and linen.
Cardiac hill is a 1 minute walk, nothing other than a normal hill.
Would I come back here again?
Definitely