MedPlaya Hotel Bali
  • Restaurant
Aptos. San Carlos(Benalmadena)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Royal Oasis Club(Costa del Sol)
3,112 results
All reviewscardiac hillbar staffsunny viewdirty dancinghalf boardentertainment teamcrispy baconplenty of choicestar hotelmed playasea viewbonanza squarespanish pensionersmain barfussy eatergreat holidayself catering
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from Benalmadena, it was our first and most likely last visit. The hotel is situated up a quite steep hill (known jovially as "Cardiac hill") and comprises of 3 blocks of accommodation with the catering and entertainment areas in block number 1.

The room we had was in the largest block number two and we were on the fifth floor. The room decor and fittings are dated, the beds are large and comfortable but compromised by rubber mattress covers. the bathroom was really good, the shower one of the best I have seen in a hotel, hot water always available and the towels were changed nearly everyday. Noise from neighbours, above below and either side is bad, even normal conversation is intrusive, but worse still is the effect of people smoking on their balconies. The air con wasn't working but fortunately, being early in the year we could leave the balcony door open.

Being on the fifth floor meant having to use probably the smallest lifts I have ever come across, just able to fit a wheel chair user and carer. However the view from the balcony was really impressive, overlooking the pool and sea.

The hotel is aimed at older guests and older Spanish and the entertainment reflects this. The all inclusive option is well worth paying for and operates from morning until midnight.

You have to be lucky to see a Thompsons rep.

Room Tip: Choose block two floor 5 and higher for the views.
2  Thank FGFLM
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We read the reviews before booking which were mixed with some very negative reports. For us everything turned out to be very pleasant. We contacted the hotel before arriving and they answered our email quickly, professionally and politely. Check-in went smoothly and was one of the best we have encountered. We were amazed by the view we had from our balcony – the benefit of being higher up overlooking the sea. Food in the restaurant was very good. Plenty of choice at breakfast and in the evening. Good presentation and delicious. The restaurant also benefits from having the food in two separate lines so people can serve themselves quicker. I’m surprised more hotels don’t adopt this arrangement. Room service was every day and the maid was very pleasant. The grounds are extensive allowing people to move around to follow the sun or sit in the shade. There are 3 pools and there appeared to be someone cleaning them every day. There is a lovely marina quite close to the hotel and the coast is only a short walk away.

As you can see we cannot really fault this hotel bearing in mind it is a 3*. It’s a little worn around the edges but this is to be expected in a large hotel that is obviously very popular.

Some of the reviews comment on what is referred to “heart attack hill. There is a hill to get back to the hotel but my wife and I (both retired) had no problem with it. It is not a problem unless you are totally unfit. Some reviews also refer to the number of Spanish in the hotel. Rather a strange criticism as the hotel is in Spain. Yes, there were a lot of Spanish and yes they were loud but they were never rude (as some suggest) and certainly added to the character of the hotel. All the staff we met were polite efficient and very welcoming. We will certainly return. Thanks to everyone for making our stay so enjoyable.

9  Thank anythingwilldo_9
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Anythingwilldo_9,

Thank you very much for sending your constructive comments after your stay at Medplaya Hotel Bali. We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our hotel with its services and our friendly and professional staff.

Once again thanks for being your choice and we hope to welcome you back again.

Best regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Medplaya Hotels

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from The Bali in Benalmadena. We have stayed there a few times and think this hotel offers good value for money. As usual rooms clean, food good selection. I requested a room away from block 1. They put us in block 1, but when I pointed out it was on my special request they did change without any fuss, thank you. The thing that I really am concerned about is now the hotel does not have any terrestrial British TV. We didn't go on holiday to watch TV but as I was recovering from heart surgery, we didn't wish to go out every night but was unable to stay in and watch something from home. When asked about this I was told that the satellite had been changed (not true). I really fear for future bookings from British customers if a company like MedPlaya can't look after their paying guests. I really hope they can sort this out and join with other hotel chains to come to a satisfactory conclusion. You are able to stream through the internet and still get other TV packages. Please don't join the Brit bashers MedPlaya. I would book again..

Room Tip: Avoid low rooms Block 1 facing road, can be noisy.
2  Thank perana
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We have just returned from a four night break at The Hotel Bali,and what can only be described as the perfect holiday. We arrived at the hotel quite late in the evening and was greeted by the lovely Pedro on reception who politely checked us in and advised us that as we had missed our evening meal,they had saved some tea for us in the restaurant. This was greatly appreciated as we really hadn't expected such a kind gesture. We had been allocated a lovely twin room on the fifth floor and it was only after opening the curtains in the morning that we realised that we had a breathtaking view of the sea. It was really spectacular! We booked on a full board basis, even though my mum can be quite a fusspot when it comes to food, but surprisingly she loved every meal! The food is served buffet style and there is plenty of choice to suit any pallet.we loved it. On the last evening each guest was treated to a glass of wine and a rose! Again what a lovely unexpected gesture. The hotel is situated halfway up a hill, which I had been prewarned about but i can honestly say the hill was no problem for us and my mum is in her sixties. Although I would probably advise anyone with mobility problems to be aware. Benalmadena is a beautiful place and the marina nearby is just fabulous. We had four days of sun,sea and relaxtion and we really didnt want to come home! We were so very impressed with the hotel and its very hardworking staff. The service was second to none and we cant wait to come back. Well done to you all and a big thankyou for looking after us and making our holiday feel so special.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank JEMBOBS1
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear JEMBOBS1,

Thank you for your kind comment and for choosing us for your winter break here in Benalmádena Costa. It's a pleasure for us to receive such positive comment, which reflect your satisfaction with our services. Your comment will be passed on to our personnel, especially our reception and restaurant staff who provided an excellent service.

Once again, thank you for choosing Hotel Bali and we would love to welcome to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

Vanda Lehnerova
Guest Relations Medplaya Hotels

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed in October 2013 and returning May 2014

Rooms: Twin room in building 2 was basic and clean, bathroom clean and shower good.
Good size balcony with furniture. A/C worked well.

Food/ Drinks: I went half board, drinks at bar were average price for any hotel, good service at bar. Food was great, large selection, hot, cooked well and something for everyone. I really enjoyed dinner especially the fresh Spanish salads at dinner! Plenty of tables and choose your own seats.

Pool: Three pools, one near the main bar area is a good size but doesn't get much sun, 2nd pool gets sun all day and plenty of sun beds. Also a small childrens pool near building two.
Lifeguards are on duty.

Entertainment: In October entertainment was held in the main bar area, always something different on, I only stayed in once to see some salsa dancing it was very popular and every seemed to have a good time, apart from that i was out every night so can really comment.

Location: Near the beach up a hill and very close to lots of shops, cafes/ bars. The hill up to the hotel isn't that bad but could be an issue if you have trouble walking and there is a small supermarket and bars half way if you do need to stop.

Site to see: The Marina is a nice 10/15 min walk away, well worth a visit daytime and nightime, lovely restaurants and bars!

Paloma Park is worth a visit, huge clean park with cafes, small animals and lovely scenery, Selwo Delfinarium is also located by the park.

Get a two day ticket on the Benalmadena red bus and it takes you everywhere, get on and off as you please, it goes to the Butterfly Park which is an hour well spent and you can get amazing pictures!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple