“good hotel for younger families”

MedPlaya Hotel Bali
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 7 August 2014

we stopped HB for a week and found this a clean hotel with good air con in bedrooms.only about 25% british but not a problem,no rudeness by staff or other residents.i thought the entertainment was good for children under 12,but mine were slightly bored (17 & 13).Good location close to beach and marina where we went most evenings.nice resturants bars and shops.There is a steep hill to hotel for about 40 metres,might be a problem for wheelchairs.There is AI and there wasn't large groups getting drunk.I thought drinks were cheap in hotel (2.65 euro).i would go again.

Room Tip: better rooms in bali 3 bigger and newer
3  Thank gooseman08
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear gooseman08,

Thanks a lot for choosing Hotel Bali and for taking the time to comment on your summer holiday in Benalmádena Costa. We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with hotel and our dynamic and efficient staff. We trust you will choose us again, the next time you choose Benalmádena for your holiday.

Kind regards,

Vanda
Guest Relations Medplaya Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family and I stayed at the Bali from 4th to 11th July. It was our 5th visit - we always book direct with Med Playa - if you use their hotels a lot apply for an amigo card as you get money off your bill or use points towards a late check out room etc. We were allocated rooms 2323 and 2322 in a Bali 2 - we had a lovely view of the pool and sea. The hotel is great for families, food is great - lots to do during the day and it's well placed for visiting water park, fuengirola, Mijas etc. Hotel staff are really helpful and friendly and the entertainment team are the best I have found in any hotel - Marek and Lorena in particular really make an effort with the guests - many people return year after year to this hotel and I can see why - I love it. No issues with noise on a night and no rowdy guests - we had a fantastic holiday and will continue to recommend this hotel.

We booked our flights direct with Ryanair and the hotel reception can print out boarding passes for you. I also found Vanda to be really helpful before our visit as I emailed her prior to our holiday. We were all inclusive - if you want to go out on day trips pre-book a packed lunch the evening before and u can pick it up on reception.

Room Tip: Rooms in Bali 2 overlook the sea. Rooms in Bali 1 overlook the pool or the marina.
2  Thank footiefan10
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my family's second visit to the Bali Hotel as HB, staying in the Apartment block in Bali 3. The room was clean and functional, serviced by cleaners every other day - or so. We really enjoyed our previous stay, although I thought at that time that the hotel could do with a bit of a spruce up in the reception areas, bar areas and around the pools in particular. The word was that this was planned in close season. However we were disappointed on our return visit as the only thing that had changed were the colourful sunbeds on the Bali I complex, The Bali 2 pool area is obviously still a work in progress, a few of the sunbeds were not fit to use, cracked and grubby etc. The pool area in Bali 2 was generally clean and well maintained, with a lifeguard for added assurance. On a couple of evenings the food (although of a good standard) was not to my family's tastes (a distinctly Spanish flavour) and we had to go elsewhere to dine. Typical "Brit Abroad" syndrome, I suppose. But I also heard other guests (all were AI) similarly complaining about the food choice laid on and, in particular, the lack of bar service. I found the restaurant clean and well ordered, the restaurant staff, as before, very friendly, efficient and helpful. The reception staff initially less so at check in. They seemed very stressed (maybe the lady had had a bad day - we checked in at 14.30) and was not accommodating when I asked for a room change as the first apartment I was allocated was smaller than the others. I heard her comment ("I don't have time for this") but didn't press that point. Eventually, after standing my ground, it was all sorted to my satisfaction and we had a relatively stress free and enjoyable stay. The entertainments team worked their socks off and were very impressive during their "Showtime Spectaculars" very well managed by Victor and Magda and ably assisted by Marek and the gang. I would say that this year the Bali is a 3* hotel (as advertised) and nothing more. It only does what it says on the tin so I have no complaints about the star rating at all. Last year it would have got 3*+ so I think standards have slipped. I will be taking my family elsewhere on the Costa next year for our main holiday, but may consider going back to the Bali for a shorter stay. I would still suggest you give the Bali a try, just don't have too high expectations. You will have a good holiday at this hotel.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for an Apartment as it gives more room for your family.
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My 10 year old son and I stayed at the Bali for 11 nights ending on the 1st of august . We have stayed at Medplaya hotels before ( Calypso in Salou ) which is why I booked the Bali . Guests consisted of a lot of British and Spanish , with a few Russians . a very friendly hotel with very hard working and friendly staff . While the entertainment was not quite up to the standard of the Calypso ( only due to the high standard of the entertainment crew in Salou ) , it was still entertaining . Contrary to a few reviews , and a few guests I talked to , I thought that the standard and selection of food at meal times was very good , and not 'luke warm '. Although both pools were reasonably busy , you could always find one quiet enough at any given time . Also , there were plenty of sunbeds . If you don't like a lot of children about then don't book this hotel but i would recommend it as a very good , friendly 3 star hotel in a good resort .

Room Tip: We stayed in Bali 2 which seemed to all have sea views
4  Thank Graham M
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed here with my 7 year old daughter for 1week, we booked sc but upgraded with the hotel to AI on arrival, we were put into the studio rooms which due to a split level of 3 marble steps to the bathroom from your living/sleeping area I found to be unsafe for a little one in the middle of the night plus a great trek in lonely dark corridors from the lift to get to, so asked if we could go into the hotel which the reception staff (Stuart) was able to sort.

The bali as stated by other reviews is in need of a good refurb, the corridors are shabby and the whole hotel is looking unloved. The pool area by the sunny view cafe was littered with tab ends and ash, the guy who I saw sweep once only took seconds and came round mid day not morning before guests arrived to sunbathe, the pool itself looked like that also needed a good scrub the grout was black and the sides of the pool, I think they thought if they kept pouring more chlorine in that would do! The chlorine was way too strong every one was saying there eyes hurt and my daughters skin is in a mess since we have come home.

Sunny view cafe needs more staff! Most of the time it was just one person on who had to cook food and serve drinks which you could only order 2 of regardless of if you are 2 adults and a child you can't get your own and your child's which is stupid as trying to get a child to stop enjoying them selves to come and get a drink....... Really! So hence this caused massive ques and waiting up to half an hour for a drink! The snacks were nice and tasty once you had managed to get them, but why stop serving crisps at 12:30?? It's not a meal.

The entertainment was better than previous years except that the shows were the same and after seeing them over the four years were a bit boring but it was nice to hear the new staff singing live and very good they were too, the entertainment staff are all amazing and always have time for everyone even when trying to go home! So a well done to them!
All in all an enjoyable stay again, and paco we still love you the best and Marik says lillie.

Room Tip: Make sure you request rooms away from stair wells as the noise echos!
1  Thank 11Jlo
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear 11JIo,

Thank you for being our loyal guest and for sharing your lovely comment on your 4th stay with us.
We are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome and serve you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Vanda
Guest Relations Medplaya Hotels

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Very basic hotel rubbish lifts to many spanish had to buy our own kettle otherwise 5 euro's a day to rent one all inclusive good drinks choice good food ok pool area clean but small hotel location at the top of steep hill wouldnt stay again

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank jason b
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stay here for ten nights,room was nice size,view was good.
Could have done with brewing facilities though.
Even though we didn't have children with us there was plenty of entertainment for them the staff were very hard working.
The hotel generally was very clean and the maids did a very good job.
The food was first class plenty to choose from.
Overall a good hotel with hard working staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple