“Good location”

Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
newcastle
“Good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for 11 nights. We were a large party of 12 families. Hotel is in a good location but the hill from the beach is quite steep. We were in block one of three. The rooms were very small with only one electric socket in the room and one in the bathroom. The maid cleaned the room every day and we had fresh towels every day. The hotel is cleaned every day but the toilets need to be cleaned more than once. The toilets in the main hotel had no hand drier or towels to dry your hands. The ladies toilet around the second pool needed to be cleaned more and the handle was hanging off. We reported it but it took three people to get locked in it before something was done. Most of the staff at the bars were very friendly. The odd one would serve people paying or Spanish people before the English people on all inclusive. The cafe bar beside pool 2 only had one member of staff who was serving drinks, cooking food and taking money without washing their hands. The food in the restaurant was sometimes raw but most of the time it was ok. There was always something you could eat even if you are quite fussy.

Room Tip: Ask to be in block 2 the rooms are larger.
3 Thank mamatwo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

we have just returned from our 1st family holiday abroad(08/08/14) we have a 1 year old and 5 year old.to be honest this is my 1st experience of a all inclusive holiday,so i have nothing to compare it to,would I do it again.i would say so.we arrived at the hotel around 1pm and where checked in no trouble.our room overlooked the swimming pool at the rear of the hotel,the room itself was slightly on the small side(but with 3 beds and travel cot this would always seem small)
the room was clean though and beds towels etc changed or made daily.there was plenty variety of food,not all to my liking but you couldn't fail to find something to suit everybody.the holiday package itself was affordable enough that most lunch times we ate out and if the kids where hungry before tea plenty of snacks where available.all the staff where friendly enough and the entertainment was spot on.all in all a very enjoyable stay

Room Tip: room 2104 is quiet enough and only gets the sun early morning.not the biggest
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mickmack_11
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having had a 1st class family holiday last year me+my husband were looking forward to our holiday.Oh what a big disappointment,room- above reception so was very noisey due to the road ,the hotel in general is in need of major refurbishment,have management become complacement as hotel fully booked,a paint job is well overdue.Public areas clean except for the pools which had tiles missing and area around had litter strewn around.Food awful-never had a hot meal,can only thank god for the microwave!!!!.Only able to eat 2 meals as decided tat due to the poor choices to eat out which added to our holiday costs as were Ai.Wanted to come home after 2 days.I would not recommend Hotel Bali to my worst enemy!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lorna d
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Lorna d,

Thanks for sharing your comment on your recent stay at the Medplaya Hotel Bali. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. With regard to the choice of dishes in our restaurant, we are receiving positive feedback from our guests. It's sad to hear that you did not have the same experience. We value your comment and are positive about getting feedback from our guest as it helps us to understand your expectation.

Once again, thanks for choosing Hotel Bali and we hope you will give us another chance to serve you better.

Guest Relations Medplaya Hotels

Travellers are raving about these Benalmadena hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here 26/7 to 6/8, myself, partner and 11 year old son. We stayed in room 2302, which is located in Bali 2 and had a great sea view , and of the pool area. Yes the decor is a little dated, but our room was very clean and was fit for purpose. Maid service every day, (If i remember correctly!). We were all inclusive, but had already decided that we would be eating out quite a bit as we wanted to sample what was around as we had not been to benalmadena before. Overall, the food we did try was OK, good choice of breakfast items, fruit, meats and cheeses, crispy bacon!! something for everyone. Lunch and dinner was again OK, if you want 5* food go somewhere else, if you want a reasonable standard of food that is replenished often, then give it a go. Obviously Buffet style food does not suit everyone and sometimes either mysel or my partner didn't fancy anything on offer, but the cold buffet and salad counter sufficed on those occassions. The one thing that I will say about the restraunt is that it gets very crowded at certain times which is not very comfortable as people start pushing and shoving in, so work out the best times to suit you when its reasonably quiet! The draft beer served here is San Miguel and was delicious!! As was the Sangria, highly recomend it!! Service at the main bar was quick and efficient and mainly friendly. The service in the 'Sunny view cafe' which serves the Bali 2 pool area, was generally OK, but on a couple of occassions there was only 1 staff on to serve drinks and cook snacks which resulted in quite long queues. Generally I found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. We stayed mainly around Bali 2 pool area and never had a problem getting 3 sun loungers at any time of day. The pool area was clean and the cleaning staff were always mulling about sweeping and tidying up. The pool had a little too much Chlorine for me and stung my eyes a bit, but maybe thats just me. The entertainment that we saw was very good, the night time shows were excellent and the entertainment team worked really hard to keep everyone happy, especially the kids. Well done!
Out and about, there are 2 things that you must do whilst your here, go to the Mad A*s irish bar and go on a boat trip from the marina. The Mad A*S bar is located in the next street along opposite hotel Sirocco. The staff and food are great and it is a superb relaxed atmosphere. I think we ate here 5 or 6 times, really good. If your up for a boat trip, most of the boats in the Marina are the same price, 1 hour trip 10E adults, 5E kids or 2 hour trip 20E & 10E. We booked with an English run boat called 'Pikaced', run by a company called 'Discover sailing', check it out on the internet before you go. We heard bad reports about some of the other boats only giving you small drinks, not stopping for a swim etc, so we booked this one for 2 hours, AMAZING! They only take a maximum of 12 people out at a time so you have plenty of room to stretch out and move around, and they really look after you. We were so impressed with our 2 hour trip we re-booked a 1 hour cruise for some of our family who were coming out a few days later. In all there were 6 adults and 4 kids and they let us have the boat to ourselves. We saw dolphins, swam in the sea, fished off the back of the boat and the kids got to drive!! So impressed were we again that 3 of us booked yet another 2 hour trip the next day!!!!

All in all, I would reccomend the Medplaya Bali. If your fussy or looking for 5* accomodation at 3* prices you will be dissapointed. The location is fantastic, 15 mins walk to the marina, 5 mins to the beach. 'Cardiac' hill is nowhere near as bad as some reviews make out unless you do have mobility issues, it just makes the San Miguel taste even better when you get to the bar!!!!

Room Tip: Block 2 floor 3 and above, nice sea views
8 Thank jagtommo
vandamed, Guest Relations at MedPlaya Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Jagtommo,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Bali as your holiday accommodation in Benalmádena Costa and for sharing comment on your recent stay at this place. We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the efficiency and friendliness of our staff.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcome and serve you again in the future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

we stopped HB for a week and found this a clean hotel with good air con in bedrooms.only about 25% british but not a problem,no rudeness by staff or other residents.i thought the entertainment was good for children under 12,but mine were slightly bored (17 & 13).Good location close to beach and marina where we went most evenings.nice resturants bars and shops.There is a steep hill to hotel for about 40 metres,might be a problem for wheelchairs.There is AI and there wasn't large groups getting drunk.I thought drinks were cheap in hotel (2.65 euro).i would go again.

Room Tip: better rooms in bali 3 bigger and newer
3 Thank gooseman08
Dear gooseman08,

Thanks a lot for choosing Hotel Bali and for taking the time to comment on your summer holiday in Benalmádena Costa. We are pleased to hear you were satisfied with hotel and our dynamic and efficient staff. We trust you will choose us again, the next time you choose Benalmádena for your holiday.

West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family and I stayed at the Bali from 4th to 11th July. It was our 5th visit - we always book direct with Med Playa - if you use their hotels a lot apply for an amigo card as you get money off your bill or use points towards a late check out room etc. We were allocated rooms 2323 and 2322 in a Bali 2 - we had a lovely view of the pool and sea. The hotel is great for families, food is great - lots to do during the day and it's well placed for visiting water park, fuengirola, Mijas etc. Hotel staff are really helpful and friendly and the entertainment team are the best I have found in any hotel - Marek and Lorena in particular really make an effort with the guests - many people return year after year to this hotel and I can see why - I love it. No issues with noise on a night and no rowdy guests - we had a fantastic holiday and will continue to recommend this hotel.

We booked our flights direct with Ryanair and the hotel reception can print out boarding passes for you. I also found Vanda to be really helpful before our visit as I emailed her prior to our holiday. We were all inclusive - if you want to go out on day trips pre-book a packed lunch the evening before and u can pick it up on reception.

Room Tip: Rooms in Bali 2 overlook the sea. Rooms in Bali 1 overlook the pool or the marina.
2 Thank footiefan10
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my family's second visit to the Bali Hotel as HB, staying in the Apartment block in Bali 3. The room was clean and functional, serviced by cleaners every other day - or so. We really enjoyed our previous stay, although I thought at that time that the hotel could do with a bit of a spruce up in the reception areas, bar areas and around the pools in particular. The word was that this was planned in close season. However we were disappointed on our return visit as the only thing that had changed were the colourful sunbeds on the Bali I complex, The Bali 2 pool area is obviously still a work in progress, a few of the sunbeds were not fit to use, cracked and grubby etc. The pool area in Bali 2 was generally clean and well maintained, with a lifeguard for added assurance. On a couple of evenings the food (although of a good standard) was not to my family's tastes (a distinctly Spanish flavour) and we had to go elsewhere to dine. Typical "Brit Abroad" syndrome, I suppose. But I also heard other guests (all were AI) similarly complaining about the food choice laid on and, in particular, the lack of bar service. I found the restaurant clean and well ordered, the restaurant staff, as before, very friendly, efficient and helpful. The reception staff initially less so at check in. They seemed very stressed (maybe the lady had had a bad day - we checked in at 14.30) and was not accommodating when I asked for a room change as the first apartment I was allocated was smaller than the others. I heard her comment ("I don't have time for this") but didn't press that point. Eventually, after standing my ground, it was all sorted to my satisfaction and we had a relatively stress free and enjoyable stay. The entertainments team worked their socks off and were very impressive during their "Showtime Spectaculars" very well managed by Victor and Magda and ably assisted by Marek and the gang. I would say that this year the Bali is a 3* hotel (as advertised) and nothing more. It only does what it says on the tin so I have no complaints about the star rating at all. Last year it would have got 3*+ so I think standards have slipped. I will be taking my family elsewhere on the Costa next year for our main holiday, but may consider going back to the Bali for a shorter stay. I would still suggest you give the Bali a try, just don't have too high expectations. You will have a good holiday at this hotel.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for an Apartment as it gives more room for your family.
1 Thank Peter J