“Very average 3* not close to the marina”

Hotel & Spa Benalmadena Palace
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Booked through Easy Jet Holidays. I booked (and paid extra for) a one bedroom apartment as I was travelling with my two sons (17 and 12) When I arrived, and handed in my hotel voucher, I was given a key to room 713. The room was a studio with a sloping roof, double bed, wet sofa, leaking fridge and dirty curtains. I went to reception and explained that this was not what I had booked. I was told that there was no other rooms and “maybe tomorrow” there would be a free room. I had taken a copy of my booking and went back to reception . As I had a copy of room booking, the receptionist apologised, and said there must have been a mistake, he was able to give me a one bedroom apartment, but not, as I had requested, a pool view. He said “you will have to pay some more for a pool view“. I thought I’d paid enough!

It is 8/9 Euro for a taxi to the centre/harbour from the Benalmadena

Also, do not take much money to the pool, I had my purse stolen.

There are newer reviews for Hotel & Spa Benalmadena Palace

Reviewed 4 July 2010

have just returned from a week long stay at the palace , having stayed before knew about the hill , yes it is steep but not that bad , just take your time and as mentioned before go through the parking lot or go the back route to the hotel. Rooms ok and seemed to been given a refurb since i last stayed in 2004. Air con is not good in some rooms and this could be a prob in really hot weather. Food a bit overpriced for what you get (i only tried poolside snacks cant say about the main resturant) , beer , wine prices ok. Kiddies club and reps very good and friendly. I found the reception staff very friendly and helpful. A good hotel for families. Entertainment is the typical holiday type, I enjoyed this hotel again and would recommend for a family holiday, by the way yes sunbeds can be had to find.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

Having checked reviews on Trip advisor just before departure we were quite worried about how bad this hotel was going to be. However, we were pleasantly surprised overall.
Starting at the beginning, expect to pay approx. 25 - 30 euro for a taxi from Malaga airport to the hotel. Contrary to some reviews, we found the reception staff very efficient, friendly and helpful when checking in. The room we had was clean, basic but adequate for a week's holiday. It was cleaned and towels changed 5 out of 7 days. The air con didn't always work, it seemed to switch on and off whenever it felt like it. This meant opening the window at night and it can be quite noisy in the area with loud music and even louder taxi passengers at 3am!
Outside, the pool area is quite large with a kiddies pool and a large adult pool. There are too many loungers, not enough umbrellas and way too many selfish people who left towels on loungers all day without ever sitting on them. This is despite signs asking people not to do this. The hotel really needs to clamp down on this practice. If you follow the path from the pool area towards the beach and supermarket you will find a small garden area with some loungers and umbrellas. If you are travelling without kids then this is a pleasant haven away from all the screaming and splashing!!!
The hill up to the hotel from the main road is exceptionally steep, definitely a problem for elderly or infirm people or even those with buggies. Going through the car park of the hotel helps but this closes at 8pm. If you're heading to the Marina area at night walk as far as the Marymar apartments and you can get a 110 or 120 bus to quite near the marina for 1.20. Taxi to / from there will set you back 8 - 9 euro.
Overall, Benalmadena Palace was a pleasant place to stay but not perfect.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stayed at Benalmadena Palace for 1wk and it was brill. Went with my daughter (20) and both enjoyed the week. Hotel could not have been better, room good, cleaned often. Only downside was the hill to the shops/bars/beach. Lovely pool, great kids club, took them off to do all sorts leaving us sun soakers to the peace and quiet!! Get bus into Torremolinos to go shopping, more choice than Benalmadena. Friendly, helpful staff (except hol rep...was never around when he should have been). All round great holiday!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 17 June 2010

After all the great reviews and amenities i expected more...seemed to be understaffed so staff where not overly friendly or helpful...they listed fitness room but really it was out-dated and completely rusted....more a death trap that a fitness room....snack bar food was extremely poor quality and over priced....cleanly staff were excellent and room was adequate with an antique kettle...no double glazing so you can hear the leaves being blown off the entry road every morning at around 8am....earplugs were packed and used every night. All that said a great holiday and i will return to the resort...perhaps closer to the marina next time.

1  Thank ConnR
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Just back from a week in this Hotel, family of 5..booked with alpha rooms and had to take 2 rooms. and one would have been more than enough we basically just used the second room for our suitcases.
Rooms were clean, all be it very basic if you plan to self cater and the cutlery has certainly seen better days!
Pool area is fine although can be a little cramped and beware the sunbeds are reserved very early!
Breakfast was good but we were charged different prices every day,anything from 30.50 to 37.50 for 2 adults and 3 children. We found the snack bar food overpriced and poor quality so we did not sample evening buffet, a few good places to eat at the Marina.
The hotel is quite a walk from the Marina if you have children, and there is a very busy road at the bottom of the dreaded hill (it IS steep) but halfway down to the Marina you can go onto a walkway along the beach where there are shops (tacky mostly and overpriced) and places to eat. From a personal point of view I did not like the resort of Benalmadena at all and will not return. The hotel was just average and too far from the Marina. I would not recommend this resort.

1  Thank Creeslough
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Firstly, this is not a Palace.... BE WARNED!
We have stayed in 10+ hotels in Spain and this was truly the worst we have ever experienced.
We were lead to believe this was a 4 star hotel and were happy to pay for a decent stay for my girlfriends Birthday...On arrival we entered the reception area which was very small and not impressive atall. We werethen given the card to the room, what a total joke. This was a studio apartment with a very low slopping roof, to get to the wardrobe and safe you had to limbo your way in. There wasnt even a full length mirror to get ready in.
The bathroom was very poorly finished and dont even get me started on the toilet
The air conditioning worked for the first night and then was switched off by the hotel leaving us to hot to sleep. The shower kept going from boiling hot to freezing too.
The balcony was very small, the smallest I ever have had and way to small for the Argos style table and 4 chairs out there.
We decided to complain to James the Thomas cook rep who done absolutley nothing to help to the point he didnt even remember us the next day when we had to follow up the reply. We were then ignored throughout the rest of the stay when we saw him.
The food was served at 7pm and was average to be polite, if you like chips and chinese food your in luck! If you want nice traditional spanish food like Paella or fresh salads it not great.
If you hate the commerical areas like Benalmadena, try the little beach bar Marakus down on the front by the sea by windmill round about, this is the best chilled out place to get a drink with decent music.
On the positive side, try going to Malaga in the evening...1.35 euros on the bus 110 which took about 45 mins, really worth it if you want a busy more traditional upmarket feel to the evening.

3  Thank mrlucasUk