“DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!”

TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I booked this hotel as a Christmas gift for my wife, I wanted it to be special so I upgraded to a premier sea view room. I booked it on the 7th of December 2013, and was due to stay on the Monday 12th of May until Friday 16th May 2014.

I received an email on the 6th May, only six [YES SIX] days before I was due to arrive telling me that they no longer recognised my booking, and that they would try to accommodate me elsewhere.

My wife was devastated, after five months of anticipation and excitement of a luxury holiday, suddenly we are flying to a foreign country with nowhere to stay and uncertainty of what we have in store for us.

I phoned the hotel and spoke directly to the management, I pointed out that I had booked fully five months in advance and I felt that I should certainly have first call on available rooms, and anyone booking later than me should be the one to lose out. The female on the phone refused to acknowledge my point and basically ignored my pleadings.

If you are thinking of booking this hotel - DONT!! You may have the booking in black and white and have a printed invoice, but it is not worth the paper it is written on as this hotel simply does not care about its customers.

19  Thank johnpurd

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've just came back from staying here and I can honestly say it's the best hotel I've ever stayed in! The location is perfect. the new referb looks incredible( we loved our room so much the bed was so comfortable I never had a bad nights sleep! All the staff and guests were so friendly and helpful. The only bad side I would say is that the pool water is freezing! The food was nice but not much choice for picky people... Also there's not much entertainment for younger couples, we felt quite left out as we were surrounded by older couples (spoke to other younger couples and they said the same) but overall the hotel made up for that as it's beautiful and our rep was amazing and helpful! I would 100% go back, even my family are thinking about going now

3  Thank Aysha X
vandamed, Relaciones Públicas at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Aysha,

Thanks for choosing Medplaya Hotel Riviera and for your kind comment. I would like to remind you that the hotel provides heated pool which is a part of Spa and Wellness center. For a small fee you can enjoy one hour of Spa circuit. Be sure to book the session at the reception or right in the Spa center the next you will stay here. We look forward to welcoming you and your family soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Just back from another stay at the Riviera,once again we enjoyed our stay at this hotel, all the staff are very friendly and it is nice to be recognised as a returning guest. The hotel has a great location (close to beach and marina ),it has extremely comfortable rooms and is kept very clean by hard working staff ,the restaurant is very modern and bright overlooking the sea ,the food is varied with something to suit all tastes (although at times could be warmer )
There are bus stops just outside the hotel where you can catch buses to Malaga, Torremolinos, Mijas and Fuengirola etc

Just a few niggles --- a stool in the bathroom would be handy also the fridge should be free in a 4 star hotel ( 3 euros a day charge if used).
We don't go on holiday to watch TV but we do like to watch the odd programme if the weather isn't so good but because of a change in the satellite for UK programmes in February no regular channels are available but I believe this can be arranged if hotel so desires.

Already booked for our next stay,so I think that says it all !!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool area are sunny early morning then are shady for the rest of the day so th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank welovethesuninspain
vandamed, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear welovethesuninspain,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a feedback after your stay at the Medplaya Hotel Riviera. We are delighted to hear that you loved our really central location, the good buffet the spacious rooms and especially our friendly staff.
Thank you again for your lovely feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,

Vanda, Guest Relations Medplaya Hotels

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the first time we have stayed her and must say from start to finish a fabulous holiday. The staff were always pleasant, the rooms very clean and serviced every day and public areas spotless.The hotel overlooks the promenade with fabulous sea views and lift down to the bottom so no need to climb steps up or down to the beach. We were half board and meals were outstanding great service and choice of food. The hotel was also close to the lovely marina and a pleasant walk along the promenade only took minutes.Pool area very nice but also garden terraces made lovely places to sunbathe,we would return to this hotel again and probably will more than once,thank you Medplaya.

6  Thank DurhamLesley
vandamed, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear DurhamLesley,

Thanks for choosing Medplaya Hotel Riviera and commenting on your recent stay at this place. Your comment makes is very happy, knowing that you had a great time and that we have met your expectations is our best reward. I promise that I will share your comment with all our staff. And we look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is the first time that we have stayed in this hotel and resort, and would stay here again. The hotel was very clean, food fantastic and the rooms lovely. My only gripe would be the charge of using the fridge which l think should be a basic requirement and free. Apart from that l can find no fault at all, and the staff in the hotel are very friendly and nice
The Thomsom Rep Christina could not have been more helpful and nice, I would say with out a doubt the best rep that I have ever met. Thank you.

Room Tip: Stay to the front of the hotel overlooking the sea. As the back of the hotel is by the main road, a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnthonyG147
vandamed, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear AnthonyG147,

Thank you very much for you nice feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Riviera and that you appreciated friendliness and professionalism of our staff.
Thank you for choosing hotel Riviera and we look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Having considered the hotel for a few years the comments on the hotel in need of moderisation was the reason I'd never booked, however reading its now been refurished went ahead and would consider to a very high standard, the public areas and the bedroooms are very clean, airy and bright (especially the restaurant overlooking the sea). Great location.

The room we were allocated was on the side of the hotel with road noise, however when the doors were shut at night-time it did block it out, whilst you don't get the view of the marina on this side you do get the sunshine later in the day which is lovely. Hair dryers & tea making facilities, large TV, massive comfortable bed. Fridge and safe available at extra charge. Pool towels €20.00 deposit refunded on return.

However taking into consideration all the plus points above the one reason I would not return / recommend this hotel is the food. The hot buffet selection was very often cold at both breakfast and dinner, in the evening to guarantee a hot meal it was necessary to visit the 'showcase' cooking, however during our weeks stay 1 evening it offered sausage and on another occasion turkey thighs. 20 min wait for an omlette at breakfast. Not a vegitarian, but enjoy vegitarian food, was not tempteted for dinner by a piece of toast, topped with a tinned pineapple ring with melted cheese. Didn't have any hot vegetables all week. The waiters also served the drinks, so very often plates wern't cleared. Speaking to a fellow guest who had stayed in numerous times over the years on this holiay, shared these views for this holiday. My personal opinion after staying in many 4 star hotels over the years is that the food need to be revised / addressed.

To summarise - great location, great refubishment, friendly staff, very clean, but sadly the food lets it down ..........

Room Tip: One side overlooks the marina with no sun, the other side looks to the hotel next door but gets the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
vandamed, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear susanne,

Thank you for choosing hotel Riviera for your recent holiday in Benalmádena Costa and for taking the time to express your opinion on your stay with us. It's lovely to hear that you had a good time here, appreciating hotel's location, renovation, friendly service. Regarding the food in the restaurant, we take note of your feedback however most of our guests enjoy our restaurant and are satisfied with the service and variety of food.

Once again, thanks for sharing your comment and we look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I have stayed here before, more than once and gave it 4 stars then. Since, all rooms have been updated as well as other facilities. Staff continue to be excellent and especial recognition to Thomsons Rep Christina, based at Riviera. I've used Thomsons several times before and always been irritated by most Reps condescending, if not childish behaviour. Not so with Christina who was friendly, helpful and professional at all times. The entertainment Rep Josh was also unexpectedly good and professional. The only reason for not upgrading the hotel to 5*, for me, was the food in the main restaurant which, although plentiful, is too bland, presumably to meet the needs of many others who seem to pile a bit of everything onto one plate, thus losing any chance to taste one item properly! The additional new restaurant is much better, using the same facilities but also waitress service, however you are limited to one trip per week. Great not to have children on site and I am booking in again, albeit B&B.

Room Tip: Go for the sea end of the hotel, not inland end as is too close to the road outside.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena
Hotel Best Triton
Hotel Best Triton
#9 of 45 in Benalmadena
Sol House Costa del Sol by Melia

Been to TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya? Share your experiences!