“First visit”

TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Have just returned from Hotel Riviera. We thoroughly enjoyed our week, with sunshine every day. After requesting a room on sunny side of hotel with Thomson, we were disappointed to be given a room next to road not sunny. After telling the handsome desk assistant, he arranged for us to move as soon as a room was available. This was amazing. Beds are gigantic, comfortable with luxury white cotton bedding.

Food fantastic. Being Coeliac (needing gluten free food) I usually struggle with choice. The restaurant manager immediately put me at ease by taking me round the whole food area and telling me which foods would be gluten free for the rest of my stay. Thank you.
Also dined in Araucaria restaurant. Wonderfully food and service.

Entertainment was first class. Each night a different act or two. Brilliantly hosted day and night by Danny & Laura.

Will be top of hotel choices for next holiday.

Room Tip: Higher floors. Nearest to beach
3  Thank Linda L
vandamed, RRPP at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Linda L,

Thanks for choosing Medplaya Hotel Riviera and for sharing your lovely comment regarding your recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that the hotel met your expectations in every aspect and rest assured I will forward your encouraging comment to all our staff.
We look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the near future.

There are newer reviews for TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya

Reviewed 8 July 2014

we have just returned from a 10 day break at the hotel Riviera we had a fantastic time and found the hotel in an excellent location. We was met by the Thomson rep Cristina she is really enthusiastic and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms were very clean and spacious with excellent views of the beach. The restaurant was a delight with loads of choice something for everyone and was really clean. The only negative I found was the swimming pool was freezing although I am soft but did not mind joining in with the aqua aerobics each day with Laura who gives 100% whether she has 1 person or 10 joining in. On each evening we had entertainment and Danny and Laura worked really hard to get people joining in making the evenings fun and enjoyable. Vanessa also worked really hard ensuring we were not long without drinks or (nibbles) although she did not speak English she gave an excellent service always with a smile on her face (well worth her tips). I am 43 and the clientele is of a certain age but this is couples only so you will not get a lot of young people (bonus it is peaceful) we had a really good time with some couples in their 70,s so do not right them off, they can entertain you.
Over all this was an excellent holiday and we will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joanne T
vandamed, RRPP at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Joanne T,

Thanks for choosing Hotel Riviera and for taking the time to share your comments with TripAdvisor community. It makes us happy to know that your stay was enjoyable, especially appreciating our friendly staff and excellent service.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was my first time staying at the Hotel Riviera in Benalmadena, and infact my first stay in Mainland Spain and I am extremely impressed. Not often do I go abroad and want to return to the same place the following year but I can safely say I would return!

The hotel itself has obviously had a complete overhaul and looks lovely! Very clean, modern & up to date. Entertainment was brilliant nearly every night, some more so than others but as there is plenty to do around the hotel its nice to venture out some nights also. Location fantastic - Benalmadena Marina (voted worlds best twice) is lovely, lots of bars/restaurants to choose from if you fancy something different.

Hotel staff very polite and friendly! Room immaculate! We stayed on the 7th floor which was better for views and we were Marina side so had an amazing view of the Sea/Marina.

Food - Lots of choice for breakfast/dinner, caters for everyone.

All in all, a brilliant holiday - myself and my boyfriend were one of the younger generations staying here but this wasnt a problem at all as hotel caters for all!

Will be back again!! :)

Room Tip: High floor, marina view!
1  Thank Jessie G
vandamed, Relaciones Públicas at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Jessie G,

Thanks for taking the time to review Medplaya Hotel Riviera and for your sincere words. We are very happy to hear that the hotel met your expectations in every aspect. We daily strive to deliver friendly service in a professional manner. We thank you again for choosing our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the Medplaya hotel Riviera and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel and room decor is lovely and modern throughout. The walk in, wet room type showers, are a dream. The aircon is very quiet, a blessing.
The food is nice and there is a good selection. If you have never tried spanish cooking then the tapas section is ideal to test out small amounts. The breakfasts are particulary good. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, especially the restaurant staff. The entertainment staff, Danny and Laura are great. They always have time for a chat. Laura is a very bubbly character and very good at aqua arobics.. There are lots of day time activities and they are fun to join in with. The location is great lots of lovely walks and scenery. Overall we had a wonderful time.

Only negative points I can raise are, the cost of safes, although all hotels make this charge but still a bug bear to me, a charge to use wifi in rooms (would you charge to use the telephone ?) and lastly, the road noise from the main road. It is particularly bad in rooms on the side opposite to the pool side i.e. 415 our room. I like to sit out of an evening and have a drink on the balcony, but the noise from the busy main road makes this impossible. However, , in fairness you cannot hear the road with the doors closed. Sadly, the sun is on these balconies in the evening so its a shame really.

One criticism of Thomsons, they do not appear to make it possible to book a 'superior' room overlooking the pool. If they do, I wasn't made aware of it at the time of booking.

Room Tip: Try to get a room over looking the pool, although you may have to pay extra, but it will be worth it...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our second trip to this hotel on the costa del sol. Mum is nearly 80 and not good on her feet. I take her away for a week every year. This hotel has very recently been refurbished . The hotel is very modern and could not be faulted in any way. Fantastic service from all of the hotel staff, who were very helpful . The hotel has a lift down to beach level, handy for those getting on a bit.
Would recommend this hotel for it's position, entertainment, food quality and yes, you do not need to reserve your pool bed with a towel as there are always spare beds.
We went on a trip to Gibraltar which was very good, and was bigger than I had imagined!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank goofey57
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I have just returned (4/7/14) from our second trip this year to this lovely hotel. The rooms are spacious, very clean, bed linen and towels changed daily and a plentiful supply of tea, coffee,milk etc.with a kettle to brew up when one feels the need. It is a pity that the satellite TV cannot bring us BBC and ITV programmes any more. We understand that these are now not available in the coastal area and is not a criticism of the hotel. It would have been nice to have watched the football World Cup in the comfort of the room. We had a lovely welcome as many of the staff recognized us from our earlier visit in March. Roberto, Desire and the restaurant staff were wonderful. In the concert room bar, Raquel and the girls were always polite and very efficient. Laura and Danni work very hard and present a good show every evening. We intend to come again in October. Eric and Gloria Mulvey

Room Tip: we are going to request a higher floor an perhaps a corner suite on our next visit. If the weather i...
2  Thank em7206
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My nan and her husband came here to the Riviera many years ago when they were alive and loved it,so I thought while I was in Benalmadena id come and check the hotel out..obviously it has changed since the 1990s,i asked reception if I could have a look round and buy a drink..they said sure have a look n sit around the pool with a drink,i had a brief look around the hotel and was very very impressed,i bought a drink outside at the pool bar and relaxed around the pool for a couple of hours..longer than I thought,ha.even though as I was only there for a day I was so impressed and made welcome that ive booked a week here at the Riviera with Thomson holidays at the end of November as a birthday treat to myself....cant wait to come back..roll on November now,

Room Tip: ive booked a single room with pool n sea view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank petermakinson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Vincci Seleccion Aleysa Hotel Boutique & Spa
#3 of 72 in Torremolinos
Hotel Best Siroco
Hotel Best Siroco
#8 of 45 in Benalmadena

Been to TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya? Share your experiences!