“First holiday abroad and travelled solo. Was very impressed!”

TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have recently returned from a 7 day break. I needed some sun and a relax and even though It was my first proper holiday and was going on my own I thought 'why not give it a try'! I looked at various hotels thanks to the great help I recieved from Ross at the Tompsons Sleaford Store. But the Riviera ticked all the boxes. On arrival I thought I had got off at the wrong stop. Open, classy and very friendly welcome. My room was ready on arrival and It was above my expectations. Very spacious, comfy, will all facilities needed and also a seaview. The pool had plenty of sunbeds around and even though cold it was very refreshing in the heat. I used the gym each morning, even though it could benefit from a fan/air conditioning and some free weights, the view of the empty beach and morning sea made the wake in a morning very pleasant, even if a little sweaty. The food was great and varied and the entertainment was always different, throughout the day and evening. Danny and Laura were great, really good fun and friendly, making every welcome at all times and they brought great energy to all they did!! I will definitly recommend to friends and family and I can honestly say that as a solo traveller I had everything I needed. Great location, gym, very good wifi, pool, sun, food and drink, with great staff and enertainers. Brilliant hotel, I definitely picked wisely and will not question a solo holiday again.....I will however be basing future hotel decisions on the standard of the Riviera. Thank you for a great holiday!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for pool view or a seaview away from the road. Making for a very peaceful stay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Sally W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,851)

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I came here for our honeymoon and we loved every second of it here.

The food was first class and the rooms were very clean with air conditioning and a balcony.

I highly recommend staying here as it is great if you are looking to relax by the sea.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank kmalco111
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous holiday in this hotel. We stayed for 10 days and really have nothing negative to say! The food in the restaurant was varied and there was always plenty of it, for breakfast there was a choice of hot food, fruit, cereals, and (show) cooked individually either omelettes or pancakes. The evening meal also had hot plates, salads, (show) cooked a selection of meat and fish, a Tapa's selection, plenty of desserts and fruit.

The room was spacious and well laid out, with a good sized balcony, we were in room 410 which meant that we got the sun in the afternoon which was great. The bathroom was modern and well designed with a lovely walk in shower area. We rented both the safe and fridge in the room costing 3 euro a day each. The hotel is literally a stones throw from the beach and the hotel has a lift going down to beach level. There are plenty of sunbeds in and around the pool area and the three grassed terraces just below and was a lovely relaxing way to spend the day. During the evenings we didn't use the bar so aren't able ot comment on the entertainment, we did spend our evenings on the balcony and it was lovely and peaceful, although we could hear the road at no time did it seem loud enough to comment on. Overall a fabulous holiday and we will be returning.

8  Thank Anne R
vandamed, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Anne R,

Thanks for sharing your comment on your recent stay at the Medplaya Hotel Riviera. We are pleased to hear that you had a fabulous time here and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Thanks again for being our guest and for rating Hotel Riviera.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just returned from a week at this great place, checked in took a matter of minutes, I was given my room 325 over looking the pool and sea.single room large bed shower flat screen tv tea coffee making facilities fridge and large balcony all spotless and clean .stayed half board food was fresh and plentiful .2 things stopped me giving 5 star rating. 1, men had to wear long trousers for dinner this was uncomfortable because it was so hot, soon as men finished there meals upstairs they went to change into shorts
2.the pool is really cold, should be heated.
I will be returning in January.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank tonywestyorks

Dear Tonywestyorks,

Thanks for sharing your lovely comment on your recent stay at the Medplaya Hotel Riviera. We are pleased to hear the hotel met your expectations. We appreciate very much our guests' comments as they give us deeper insight into your needs and expectations and so keep improving.

Thanks again for being our guest and for rating Hotel Riviera.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I would rate this hotel as Good - but the above buttons jump from Average to very good.
We have stayed in the Riviera before 12 years ago with one son before it became a couple’s hotel.
We wanted to re visit the area so picked this hotel for its location. Nothing much has changed the recent refit has provided very nice bathrooms and the rooms are large and beds comfortable. The hotel is grey on the outside the inside is also grey but the lack of colour did not affect the overall comfort. The Spanish Staff are very good as were the Thomson reps at all points along the way. Nice pool and areas to lounge, a lot more nice seating around the bar area inside and out. Pool was a good temperature and the area clean and well supervised. The food was good with a wide choice each day but did not excite on occasions we have experienced much better 4 star hotel food and worse, but feel this is the area they could raise their game to ensure return visits. I would prefer to pay more to get better choice and or quality. Tapas bar was a good idea as a starter choice and the selection of fruit was great. Entertainment was generally above average for holiday hotels, it would seem Thomson is trying to raise the standard. I took the chance to join in with some morning exercises which were well delivered.

Room Tip: All rooms look along the beach east side and west side but some will be near the road and others nea...
2  Thank BillyWabbit
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just enjoyed a week`s stay at this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We chose this hotel as this was our first holiday away without the kids or grandkids and must admit we loved the peace and quiet. The staff were all lovely and very helpful, the room was spotless although I must admit I was rather disappointed at the choice of television channels, as it is nice to chill out in your room sometimes and watch t.v. The view from our room was magical overlooking the marina. I would say the food overall was ok and we always found something we could eat but it was rather repetitive. The night we had eating in the a la carte restaurant was excellent as was the service. My only bugbear with the main restaurant was the strict dress code for the men, which was long trousers and shirt, when some of the female guests turned up with beachwear or shorts and tiny tops on which I found rather puzzling and my husband found it annoying he was unable to wear many of the dress shorts he had packed. The pool area was very clean and well maintained with plenty of sunbeds for everyone. The lift down to the beach was very useful, although the security gate to regain entrance to the hotel from the beach caused us a few problems as we struggled most times to open it with our room key. The policy of buzzing reception from outside the gate would be ok if they answered the buzzer. The entertainment in the hotel was varied but we sometimes felt it was aimed at a much older audience. Both the med playa reps Laura and Danny were lovely and did their best to ensure you were enjoying your holiday. The Thomson reps were all really helpful and happy to help with any queries you had and we had an excellent organised day tour to Gibraltar. Overall we loved the location of the hotel and the modern well equipped bedrooms with excellent air con and patio doors that block out any noise a real bonus. Already thinking of booking for next year

5  Thank 600cmj
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I would like to start by saying that the hotel and it's facilities were excellent. The standard of the bedrooms, public areas etc were fabulous. I used the spa facilities and they were excellent. I would echo the other reviewers who have said that the entertainment needs to be looked at as some acts were fantastic (Limited Edition from Cape Town were particularly good), whilst others were dire. Danny and Laura who were the compares did the best they could with what they had! I would also agree with comments regarding the restaurant; the buffet and tapas area were amazing with plenty of variety. However most of the choices were quite safe with no one dish being particularly flavourful or adventurous. I do understand that they are trying to cater for clientele from different countries and age ranges. The dress code for the restaurant seems to contradict itself i.e. men must wear long trousers (we saw men wearing jeans; some with rips in, cargo pants, linen trousers and formal trousers), the women however seemed to be able to wear what they wanted e.g. bottom skimming shorts etc. My partner and I (we are both women) went down to the restaurant one evening during the latter part of our stay and as usual she was wearing shorts (knee length and tidy). She was approached by a member of staff and told that she had to change into long trousers! We tried to explain that she had worn shorts every other night but the staff member insisted that she change. We could only guess that the member of staff thought she was a man (my partner is clearly a woman!!!). She changed because I do not speak sufficient Spanish to try to have a discussion and also to avoid further embarrasment as other diners were looking at us. Having said all that it would not deter us from staying at the hotel again and we would thoroughly recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have less road noise, however, the double glazing is fantastic and blocks all that...
2  Thank lwsreview
vandamed, Guest Relations at TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Iwsreview,

Thanks for choosing Hotel Riviera and for sharing your opinion on your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you had enjoyable time, specially appreciate our Spa centre, variety of tapas in the restaurant. Regarding the dress code, we request smart casual dress code which helps to create an unforgettable dining experience.
Thanks for choosing Hotel Riviera and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.