“A fabulous location, good hotel with great food and very friendly and helpful staff.”

TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Great location for exploring on foot, by local bus or boat from the nearby marina. Ask for a high floor as there is traffic noise due to the position of the hotel. Public rooms and pool area excellent - bedrooms clean and comfortable but could do with refurbishment. Lots of english tv channels. Smashing food - lots of choice for breakfast and dinner, with show cooking. Lots of steps - lifts available - but may not suit people who have mobility problems. Live entertainment every night and shops/bars/restaurants nearby. Inexpensive area due to the amount of competition.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

The Riviera is a perfectly situated hotel within easy reach of all resort facilities. Restaurant has a wide variety menu (all buffet style) everybody should find something they like. Wine and other drinks are served at the table at a reasonable price. On the downside, the room we had was in need of refurb and I think it could have been cleaned better. However the bed was clean and comfortable as was bath towels etc. If I visited there again I would request an east facing room (my personel opinion).

cleveleys
Reviewed 30 September 2010

this was our 2nd visit to the riviera and once again we enjoyed our stay there. last year when we visited we wrote a good review and only really complained about the carpets being badly stained in the room........well this year our room had wood flooring dont think all the rooms are like this though as heard people complaining about the carpets. food was brilliant, rooms exceptionaly clean, staff always pleasant and friendly. with reference to other persons review, yes we also heard about the hotel going all inclusive next year and i agree it will spoil this lovely hotel. and it would make me think twice about going back again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Stayed for just a weekend at this hotel, it was more than enough if u ask me, when we arrived the checkin process was quick no problems there we found ourselves in a circle of SAGA too being the only YOUNG girls there, when we got to our room we were shocked for a 4* it was absolutely disgusting the room, so outdated old furniture that was falling apart, managed to take pictures as proof, the ceilings had yellow stained marks, the green carpet was absolutely filthy with filthy stains, when we got to the bathroom we were horrified, the toilet was in the corner in such a tight small space, if anyone was on the larger side there was no way they would fit inside here, our toilet wasnt even in a straight line and when you looked above it looked as though the ceiling was about to cave in, all rotten above which was quite frightening. The minute you reach reception area its a different story, we were half board, never managed to wake up for breakfast but the dinner buffet was good, lots of choices and me being a fussy eater I actually enjoyed a few bits there being the casserole. What me and my friend found odd was that you had to purchase water, I have been to alot of Halfboard hotels but always have been provided with water at least. This hotel is in a ok location, lots of steps but you can use the lifts to take you down to the beach which was okay, the swimming pool looked nice but was too cold to get in. The location was okay however if you leave the hotel and go into town and go to the bars right by Mcdonalds you will be horrified, the minute you step foot there you are mobbed by the bar people trying to get u into their ‘trashy’ bars, they were horrendous and EXPENSIVE, the best place there I would have to say was Molly Malones but even that was bad, I recommend you keep walking and turn RIGHT and head down to the Marina, the bars are much nicer and you have an ICEBAR which you can only stand about 5mins and find yourself leaving as its too cold but the atmosphere was more friendly and not so much pressure from people to get you into their bars. My advice is NOT to stay at this hotel and NOT to come to Benalmadena, I suggest you keep going and head on down to Marbella

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sallybigspuds
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Just got back from a week in this hotel. First the good bits I found,
As explained in other reviews room was clean and tidy one of the best bathrooms I,ve used abroad {i.e. very clean and most importantly the shower worked} housekeeping v.good. Food v.good hotel very quiet in the evenings {yes traffic noise but minimal if patio doors closed} entertainment was pretty good {so I was told as we always went out and about after dinner } Hotel in good location central to virtually everything, good regular bus service to other resorts and Malaga, very reasonable bus fare {approx 1Euro 20 per passenger to wherever} so obviously not run by Stagecoach.
Now the not so good bits I found.
All week I only had 2 drinks in the hotel bar, firstly because of the price compared to other bars {no I'm not tight } secondly because I found it to have a poor selection of beers on offer.
All week we only saw one cockroach { he was a biggun}, unfortunately that was in the dining room which didn't fill me with confidence,
All in all the hotel was pretty good, one of the best I've stayed in thus far.
I would certainly return to this hotel again, but I do have reservations.
I overheard someone mention that this hotel was going to follow most of the other hotels and become an "all inclusive" holiday hotel, as at the moment no one under the age of 16 can go there. This to me would be the kiss of death not only for the hotels regular visitors wanting a relaxing holiday but the surrounding businesses {i.e. bars pubs and restaurants} that rely on the hotels guests to have a "wander round" of an evening.
I have seen whats happened to hotels very much like the Riviera that went full board. I make no apologies for the following. These all inclusive hotels immediately attract families, something I wish to avoid like the plague. I don't want to spend MY holiday in a giant creche. My wife and I don't want to be surrounded by {not all I hasten to add} beer swilling tattooed foul mouthed {and thats only the women} parents and thier equally obnoxious offspring. I like a bit of peace and quiet when I'm on holiday, that's why I choose hotels like the Riviera, but if they ALL decide to go over to all inclusive
Rant over, as for the rest of the resort very good, good promenade walk plenty eating and drinking at reasonable prices, {English beers tend to be out of cans} found nice little friendly pub just fifty yards below hotel on opposite side of road "The Bees Knees" Guinness on draught great Sangria, AND NO TELLY {brilliant}
If the Riviera goes all inclusive it will be a crying shame.........

3 Thank sunlounger44
sheffield
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Stayed at Hotel Riviera in aug 2010. It was a brilliant holiday and have no complaints at all. I have read reviews and not sure what people moan about. Yes the carpets are slightly stained but are very clean, and who makes the stains... us holiday makers.
The rooms are spotless, credit to the cleaners. The bedding and towels are changed daily.
The nightlife is what you make it. Either stay in the hotel and join in with their entertainment or discover the variety of bars across the road which are very cheap... 1 euro a bottle for san miguel or mahou!! Pints are also cheaper than here. Awalk to the Marina at night takes about 5 mins which is full of shops and bars, slightly dear that end for a drink. We found this walk good to work off all the food you have for tea. The selection of food is amazing and something for everyone. Different meat and fish each evening. I enjoyed the thai curry!!! We had a curry across the road from the hotel, the starter chicken tikka cheese is to die for. Roughly 35 quid for two of us, that was a starter main meal and drink. The best bar by far was bar none across the road, theres a barmaid in there that makes you feel so welcome and tells the best jokes ever, you must see her.
Theres an english bar on the sea front called Palm 5 and thats very cheap for a pint, also do cheesy chips. Got fed up of the lucky lucky men but couldnt resist a prada handbag!!!!
I can only describe this holiday as perfect location, very clean, friendly staff, good food and would recommend it to anyone. Thebest thing was no kids so no noise at nite or dive bombing in the pool!!! A very relaxing holiday!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheffield93
dunfermline
Reviewed 8 September 2010

me and my partner went to hotel riveria!! we was put of the food because of the reviews we read on here, but when we got there things were completely the opposite? food was great staff were great and the views were amazing. we was on the 6th floor only thing was the airconditioning was not that good, but a was 6months pregnant so it was prob just me lol. defo would recommend to anyone else going. we ar going back when a bit older :)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Vincci Seleccion Aleysa Hotel Boutique & Spa
Hotel Best Triton
Hotel Best Triton
#12 of 45 in Benalmadena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,567 reviews

Been to TUI Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya? Share your experiences!