“anonymous from peterborough”

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
peterborough
“anonymous from peterborough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

We have just come back from a fantastic holiday at the hotel riviera, we had a view over the swimming pool and sea which was well worth looking at when you get up in the mornng. The food and service was very good all english exept a few dishes which were like a curry and so on, the staff were very friendly and a very welcoming staff as you walked in and all the way through our stay.
Very good location for touring as just outside the hotel you could get to malaga and marbella if you wanted to and wasn't expensive either we got into malaga from the hotel for 1.40 euros each and was a really good day out. The entertainment was more for the over 50's but we went into Belamdena Marina only 10 to 15 min walk from hotel where there were plenty of bars, clubs and drinks were reasonably priced and very livley.
The hotel bar was the same price very reasonable, we had good weather all the way through from 22 to 32 degrees like a summers day with a little light breeze about which was lovley and not too hot.
We would recomend this hotel to anyone but if you get a pool and sea view it is more quieter.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julesPeterborough

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

We visit this Hotel 3 times a year March,October and over the New year Celebrations,and it never lets us down .As always we emailed the hotel requesting a specific room/rooms and as always they obliged (you can get caught in a room near the road) ask for a room on the opposite side to the pool it gets all the afternoon sun.
Reception,maids ,bar staff,resteraunt staff(especially) where all polite helpful as always.
Entertainment every night, bar prices a little dear compared to the bars across the road.
Food was top notch vast choices at breakfast and dinner if you cant find anything you like I would be amazed.the pool area is clean sunbeds aplenty at this time of year and they were well used as we had a great hot sunny week.On the whole this hotel is basically for the over 50's not young couples as it has a quiet relaxed feel about the place We are already looking forward to our new year holiday at this great hotel.
Happy Holidays

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BlackrodWeaver
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya, responded to this review, 25 October 2010
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Hotel Riviera.

We are very pleased to hear that we ticked all the boxes to make your holiday once again enjoyable and an experience to remember and share.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Riviera for your next stay over the festive season.
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

Great location for exploring on foot, by local bus or boat from the nearby marina. Ask for a high floor as there is traffic noise due to the position of the hotel. Public rooms and pool area excellent - bedrooms clean and comfortable but could do with refurbishment. Lots of english tv channels. Smashing food - lots of choice for breakfast and dinner, with show cooking. Lots of steps - lifts available - but may not suit people who have mobility problems. Live entertainment every night and shops/bars/restaurants nearby. Inexpensive area due to the amount of competition.

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

The Riviera is a perfectly situated hotel within easy reach of all resort facilities. Restaurant has a wide variety menu (all buffet style) everybody should find something they like. Wine and other drinks are served at the table at a reasonable price. On the downside, the room we had was in need of refurb and I think it could have been cleaned better. However the bed was clean and comfortable as was bath towels etc. If I visited there again I would request an east facing room (my personel opinion).

cleveleys
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

this was our 2nd visit to the riviera and once again we enjoyed our stay there. last year when we visited we wrote a good review and only really complained about the carpets being badly stained in the room........well this year our room had wood flooring dont think all the rooms are like this though as heard people complaining about the carpets. food was brilliant, rooms exceptionaly clean, staff always pleasant and friendly. with reference to other persons review, yes we also heard about the hotel going all inclusive next year and i agree it will spoil this lovely hotel. and it would make me think twice about going back again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

Stayed for just a weekend at this hotel, it was more than enough if u ask me, when we arrived the checkin process was quick no problems there we found ourselves in a circle of SAGA too being the only YOUNG girls there, when we got to our room we were shocked for a 4* it was absolutely disgusting the room, so outdated old furniture that was falling apart, managed to take pictures as proof, the ceilings had yellow stained marks, the green carpet was absolutely filthy with filthy stains, when we got to the bathroom we were horrified, the toilet was in the corner in such a tight small space, if anyone was on the larger side there was no way they would fit inside here, our toilet wasnt even in a straight line and when you looked above it looked as though the ceiling was about to cave in, all rotten above which was quite frightening. The minute you reach reception area its a different story, we were half board, never managed to wake up for breakfast but the dinner buffet was good, lots of choices and me being a fussy eater I actually enjoyed a few bits there being the casserole. What me and my friend found odd was that you had to purchase water, I have been to alot of Halfboard hotels but always have been provided with water at least. This hotel is in a ok location, lots of steps but you can use the lifts to take you down to the beach which was okay, the swimming pool looked nice but was too cold to get in. The location was okay however if you leave the hotel and go into town and go to the bars right by Mcdonalds you will be horrified, the minute you step foot there you are mobbed by the bar people trying to get u into their ‘trashy’ bars, they were horrendous and EXPENSIVE, the best place there I would have to say was Molly Malones but even that was bad, I recommend you keep walking and turn RIGHT and head down to the Marina, the bars are much nicer and you have an ICEBAR which you can only stand about 5mins and find yourself leaving as its too cold but the atmosphere was more friendly and not so much pressure from people to get you into their bars. My advice is NOT to stay at this hotel and NOT to come to Benalmadena, I suggest you keep going and head on down to Marbella

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sallybigspuds
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

Just got back from a week in this hotel. First the good bits I found,
As explained in other reviews room was clean and tidy one of the best bathrooms I,ve used abroad {i.e. very clean and most importantly the shower worked} housekeeping v.good. Food v.good hotel very quiet in the evenings {yes traffic noise but minimal if patio doors closed} entertainment was pretty good {so I was told as we always went out and about after dinner } Hotel in good location central to virtually everything, good regular bus service to other resorts and Malaga, very reasonable bus fare {approx 1Euro 20 per passenger to wherever} so obviously not run by Stagecoach.
Now the not so good bits I found.
All week I only had 2 drinks in the hotel bar, firstly because of the price compared to other bars {no I'm not tight } secondly because I found it to have a poor selection of beers on offer.
All week we only saw one cockroach { he was a biggun}, unfortunately that was in the dining room which didn't fill me with confidence,
All in all the hotel was pretty good, one of the best I've stayed in thus far.
I would certainly return to this hotel again, but I do have reservations.
I overheard someone mention that this hotel was going to follow most of the other hotels and become an "all inclusive" holiday hotel, as at the moment no one under the age of 16 can go there. This to me would be the kiss of death not only for the hotels regular visitors wanting a relaxing holiday but the surrounding businesses {i.e. bars pubs and restaurants} that rely on the hotels guests to have a "wander round" of an evening.
I have seen whats happened to hotels very much like the Riviera that went full board. I make no apologies for the following. These all inclusive hotels immediately attract families, something I wish to avoid like the plague. I don't want to spend MY holiday in a giant creche. My wife and I don't want to be surrounded by {not all I hasten to add} beer swilling tattooed foul mouthed {and thats only the women} parents and thier equally obnoxious offspring. I like a bit of peace and quiet when I'm on holiday, that's why I choose hotels like the Riviera, but if they ALL decide to go over to all inclusive
Rant over, as for the rest of the resort very good, good promenade walk plenty eating and drinking at reasonable prices, {English beers tend to be out of cans} found nice little friendly pub just fifty yards below hotel on opposite side of road "The Bees Knees" Guinness on draught great Sangria, AND NO TELLY {brilliant}
If the Riviera goes all inclusive it will be a crying shame.........

3 Thank sunlounger44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benalmadena
Vincci Seleccion Aleysa Hotel Boutique & Spa
Hotel Best Triton
Hotel Best Triton
#13 of 45 in Benalmadena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,518 reviews

Been to Sensimar Riviera by MedPlaya? Share your experiences!