“Convenient place to stay”

Benal Beach Complex
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here in a Diamond resorts studio suite (appartment 217-1). It had been refurbished to a good standard and had everything we needed for a 10 day stay. We were given access cards to gain entry to the pool areas which you need to scan. The pools do get busy but are generally clean and the grounds are well kept. The resort seemed to be predominantly Spanish families. A criticism was the amount of people smoking in and around the sunbathing areas and equally annoying was the fact that once done with their cigarettes instead of putting them out in the sand bins were just stubbed out on the grass which meant that there were a lot of cigarette buts on the grass. Sun beds are 3 euros each per day or part day, although you can buy a card to have 6 sun beds for 15 euros.The apartment blocks can be noisy despite notices asking for silence these were not respected. On the plus side, the apartments are ideally situated for the beach and restaurants. The on site supermarket was well stocked with essentials and was very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms located away from the communal areas.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle B

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked through CLC (which seems to be the recommendation after reading other reviews). CLC staff all lovely and polite and couldn't do enough to help. We arrived at lunchtime and check in wasn't until 4pm, when I explained to the receptionist we had been up travelling from 3am she checked to see if our apartment was ready and gave me the keys there and then. A member of housekeeping quickly popped in to finish a job whilst we were in but that was no problem.
Apartment was immaculate and had everything needed for a self catering stay - kettle, toaster, fridge, washing machine, cooking hob and combi oven.
Pool area was fantastic, very busy but full of many nationalities enjoying their holidays. Reasonably priced supermarket on site with polite and helpful staff. Hotel is in walking distance to the beach and nearby bars and restaurants.
My only complaint about Benal Beach is the lack of signs in such a big building, you're basically left to find your own way around. When we first arrived I went to the first reception desk (as I couldn't find anywhere for CLC bookings) and I found the Spanish receptionist extremely rude.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KazB79
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have been going to the Benal Beach for a few years now and yesterday I came back to my parents home in Spain.
On one of my previous stays in the benal beach I found cockroaches. Which was absolutely disgusting.
On my most recent stay I;
Got lost coming out of the gardens and found myself wondering around the complete wrong block.
Because my parents live out here I know little Spanish. My friends 8 year old daughter asked me what the Spanish girl had said to her. The girl had stood in front of her her while she was on her way back to where we were sitting and she had stepped in front of her and said "hola fea" [hello ugly]. Which I find discrasfully.
While walking back to my apartment I saw a hole in the ceiling.
The Spanish are very nice to EACHOTHER. To anyone holidaying there they are rude arrogant and look at you as if you shouldn't be there.
While trying to go to sleep at night I would often hear Spanish words being shouted across the corridors.
The lifts are small and clammy. And very slow
Animals roam around the grounds and poop everywhere.
Being charged 3€ a day for sun beds pp I think is unreasonable.
The Spanish push in. Jump in (in pacific pools you're not aloud to) which either go in your eyes or into your drinks!
The slides are quite good; but there are Limescal on the poles and hair everywhere.
While not all is to blame on the Spanish- some are very welcoming but I have never had a problem with the Brits before.
The maid did come everyday to change the bins and every 2-3 days to change the sheets but proceeded to even while you were in the apartment getting ready? However they were very nice.
The man at the entrance to the pool is very rude and is only nice to the Spanish.
The beds are very uncomfortable.
The shop inside the hotel is VERY OVER PRICED; walking up the hill will take to to Mercadona a local supermarket not very far-- go there. Worth the walk.
In the hotel the local Spanish and resptionist are very rude but the park across the road is lovely along with the marina
On my departure from the Hotel before I left I sent my own daughter over to ask for the time and they has completely ignored her. Then when I walked over they came up to me and walked away from me while answering.
I had smiled at a lady in the hotel as I sat down waiting for my dad to pick me up, and she paid no attention she was Spanish and looked straight at me not doing anything.

the only good three good things you can give the hotel is-
Prime location; beautiful especially for families
Gardens
Relatively nice pool [without discussing personal hygiene, in clear waters, dirt/hair, closing opening times of slides and pool]

I stay in a room with the royal oasis club [timeshare] which is lovely; air con, up to date style, clean balconies with nice outdoor furniture, kettle, toaster, microwave, TV ect. It also let's you take out books, gives you advice and help, very good English, and activies for children.

UNLESS YOU ARE STAYING IN A TIME SHARE OR PRIVATLY OWNED DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank TaraAnna
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here in Feb 2013. When we arrived the lady was friendly and very helpful showed us too our rooms. I booked a double room for myself whicb i did not get. We booked too sepearte apartments we got pull out couch beds the most horrible beds on i spelt on, my back was broke from them. View was gorgeous could see all the Sea and sunset. Room was average very basic but did for ur needs like the little kitchen. Is a bit away from the square though. Taxis we had too get all the time. It was off peak season we cud not use the pools which was crap runied the hoilday they were dirty any ways. I see from some of the reviews for now august 2014, that there still doing work still. We had all that loud noise in Feb. There was no 1 working there too bring us fresh towels or toilet rolls which we ended up buying ourselfs cost alot. Would nva stay ere again. Wud go for a more expensive hotel as u wud get what u pay for. Cheers Denise Cork.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Deedeeirish
Reviewed 15 August 2014

CLC room in Block 3 which was very nice - large, clean and well equipped and had super air com. Pools and slides great for older kids and adults. Had to pay 3 euro a day for sun lounger, but it did come with a thick mattress, so for once I didn't end up with a sore back. Good, but expensive, private gym on site (although they did a special offer of 2 days for 18 euro which was good value).

On the down side, I had asked in advanced (both by phone and email) for twin beds and not a double bed, but this request was not met. Ended up with double bed in the bedroom and a double sofa bed. This was disappointing. Also no cleaners came during the 5 night stay so you need to take your own rubbish to the hotel bins daily.

El Naranjo nice, well priced, restaurant just around the corner from the apartments.

Room Tip: CLC rooms are very nice, but don't seem to do twin beds - only doubles
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank hopeforhappyhol
Reviewed 12 August 2014

we arrived on 2nd August to discover we were not on the list of arrivals - 4 hours later the poor lady at the check in desk had discovered our booking had been recorded for July and there was no apartment reserved for us- she found us a private apartment,which although it had the basic requirements was far from the one we were expecting.
The sofa bed absolutely stank of smoke
the curtains didn't work
the air con didn't work in the bedroom
the kitchen equipment was very basic
and the apartment was not very clean in the details
Being grateful that the staff had managed to accommodate us (although they admitted the error was theirs and apologized as well as reducing the cost by around £50) we decided to do the British thing and just make the best of it.
The hotel itself was very busy but the pools were good and we loved the location.
you have to pay for sunbeds and aren't allowed to watch the dancing unless you buy a drink.
The stay would have been ok if it hadn't rained cockroaches on the final night, meaning myself and my husband were up from 2 am - 'roach spotting' . The final insult was the largest of the little blighters landed on our bed and began strolling up my husband's leg !! - needless to say if we had seen them sooner we would not have been so accommodating
The apartment we had was a private one so it is not reflective on the kingfisher apartments as a whole but it let the stay down and we wouldn't rush to stay again !!
I have to add the poor lady at reception was very apologetic and did the best she could for us,shame her company let her and us down.

Room Tip: ask for one without cockroaches !
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank karen u
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have literally just arrived so wanted to give first impressions and some tips for those coming.
First impression rooms are very tired, need maintenance and updating but functional. No kettle, iron, tv, air con or hair dryer but can be hired I believe for a fee. Kitchen rather small and under stocked but we don't plan on cooking much.
Staff seem helpful. Safe did not work and they fixed it within 5 hrs.
Rooms are disappointing but then think we have been spoilt in the past. But ok base to literally sleep and get changed.
What does make this place good are the pools and pool area. Plenty on space on grass, 4 nice pools and great slides.
Location also great. Close to beach & restaurants, definitely glad we did not hire car.
From reviews think some rooms have been re-furnished but not this one. We are in block 2.
Don't want to be negative just realistic to set expectation.
The place in fine for pool & location just don't expect much from your room.

• Stayed: August 2014