“Nice but not 4*”

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Dublin
“Nice but not 4*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is in a great location. It is only a step from a nice beach and right by the marina. The staff, it must be said are lovely especially the ladies on reception. However, there are a few things which need work. Firstly, despite the fact that we asked for a double bed we were given 2 singles pushed together. and on a couple of occasions I almost lost hubby down between the two. Apparently there isn't a double in the house! A mattress topper and a hook to join the two beds would have solved our problem. The breakfast buffet was good but could have been replenished a little more frequently. The restaurant was very noisy at breakfast time, not due to the guests but because the staff were stacking the washing up into trollies in the restaurant with much banging and clattering. The early continental breakfast on the day we went to Gibraltar was lovely but it was the only day we got really hot coffee. A nice hotel, good value really, but it is the little details which make a hotel 4* and this one has to do a bit better

1 Thank AOBC
MacHotels, Manager at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and share your personal experiences in our hotel.
Concerning the beds we must say that we offer the possibility for the guests who request it to tie the two beds together and to make it up as a double bed.
We appreciate your comments on our restaurant service and have taken active measures to improve the overall impression in that area.

Hopefully we can greet you again next year and get the chance to show you these improvements personally.

Hotel manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Finnish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

For the money we paid €70 this was great but I bet in the summer people pay more and I'd be disappointed if I had because €70 is about all its worth. Forgetting location for a minute the room was clean and tidy but a bit outdated. It was a slightly windy evening and the pretty tired looking patio doors were rattling so I had to wedge brochures in to them. Then there was a regular banging form the corridor, I went out and found the inside stairs door was doing the same so I had to wedge it with a towel. Finally we got some sleep. Breakfast was large selection but staff were arguing with each other and getting anyone to get coffee or even clean cups for the coffee was almost impossible. Apart from that it was okay and the reception staff were nice and friendly - we even got a welcome drink

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review. We have taken note of your comments concerning the restaurant service and apologize for the inconveniences caused. I am sure your feedback will help us to correct those minor flaws and improve our overall services in the hotel.

Sincerely yours,

Warrington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

If the marina is where you want be then the location of this hotel is great with a large choice of bars and restaurants. The Room was very average with a balcony overlooking the pool but never felt comfortable sitting out on it cause it was too overlooked. The breakfast ok but not brilliant but the staff were very good. You pay more for location here rather than views or room quality. We moved on to the Aleysa hotel after 2 nights which is where you want to be for pure luxury.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Crezzie
MacHotels, Manager at Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that your overall stay at Mac Puerto Marina has been a pleasant one.

Kind regards,

Wroughton, Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just back from a 3 night autumn break with a friend at this nice hotel, friendly helpful staff, good food, clean and great weather for November, sunbathing by the pool each day though the water was cold. Good value, we paid £176 for three nights half board. To get sunshine we asked to move, and were given ground floor room with the 'balcony' right next to the pool bar, so no privacy there. Woken every day at 9am by the staff scraping all of the chairs as they cleaned the floor.

The marina is not a great place to stay if you are looking for night life, as in early November it was pretty dead. OK if you just want a drink but we couldn't find any dancing or live music.

There is an underground car park that costs €10 a day but they didn't tell us the day starts at 12 noon, so you need to return your key by then or you will be charged for another day.

I would recommend this hotel, but there are no sea views, some rooms have no view at all, and half do not see any sunshine. I was concerned that the showers are over the bath and there were no handrails or safety mat. I would be particularly concerned if I was with someone disabled, although I understand there are specially equipped rooms for wheelchairs.

Good service - we asked for more bedding, towels etc and they were supplied immediately. The hairdryer broke, and was fixed within the hour.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony that gets sunshine.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susie1001
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Mac Puerto Marina. It is true that the area is much more quiet now than in summer, when the port is really busy with a lot of nightlife.

Thank you for recommending the hotel and hopefully one day we can welcome you again at Mac Puerto Marina.

Best regards,

Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed in the hotel recently and agree with most of the comments in regards the staff and the hotel itself. But in this day and age it has to be said that the in room set up must be brought up to date with at least a more modern Television with HDMI connections and USB options so that one can connect tablets or the like so that you can play music or run movies etc. The days where an old TV with local and sub standard channels are in the realm of caveman stuff.

I hope that the management will take note of this and look kindly to this request in both the interests of the customers and the hotel itself. I can say that I believe this will enhance the stays of the customers no end. I wish all at the hotel well and thank them for a very good experience minus our regret at the lack of entertainment in room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your kind comments on our hotel and are happy that you have spent a good time at Mac Puerto Marina. We have taken good note of your suggestions for the room entertainment and will certainly include it in our list of important future upgrades and investments.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

uttoxeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

visited for a 3 night stay 3rd to 6th November. It may be an older hotel but it was spotless and the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. Air conditioning, heating and a ceiling fan! Curtains and black outs looked new and fresh and the bathroom tiling was clean and looked new, no mold or grime. Sheets and blankets clean and looked new and there was a really good option with pillows. I have a bad neck so need a less bulky pillow. The one on the bed was perfect and the ones in the wardrobe were thicker and so my son used an additional one. A good fridge with complimentary water and a spacious balcony with clothes airer/dryer. Couldn't find a balcony light switch though which was rather odd and clearly no-one else could either. But this wasn't a problem. We asked for and were allocated a higher floor pool view room it was lovely and all that we asked for.
The food was really freshly cooked, lots of fresh fruit and veg and always meet fish pasta salads and pizzas at dinner. In fact there was a good choice both for breakfast and evening meal. I've been to more aspiring places with much poorer food.The staff in the dining room all worked very hard and were always polite and helpful. I lost my daughter in a car accident earlier in the year and came away for a few days with my son. One night something triggered off my bereavement response and distress and I became really upset at the table. Within minutes, 2 separate members of staff came up to me to ask if everything was ok and if they could get me anything. I was really touched that they had noticed and genuinely cared enough to ask. That says a lot about all the staff. I wanted to explain and thank them but didn't want to burden them with it. I could not fault anyone. Reception were very helpful and the cleaners always seemed very polite and happy too. Reception arranged a trip, arranged a courtesy room and clean towels to use in it. They ordered us a taxi to the airport and were generally very helpful and extremely efficient.
The only thing I would like to have had was an indoor pool and maybe a bit plusher towels. But value for money this hotel was fantastic. I hope the staff don't change and the management continue to treat them well, with the respect they deserve. A reliable level of quality in every respect.

Room Tip: Pool view rather than an outside room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
In name of the staff and myself we would like to thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are absolutely delighted that you hav enjoyed your holidays at Mac Puerto Marina. We really appreciate your positive comments on our staff and services and hope to see you again next year.

Sincerely yours,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel has had good reviews from tripadvisor for some time - it was on that basis I booked my 10 day holiday. Short transfer time from the airport, glass of bubbly on arrival and a decent, if rather dated room with a nice balcony overlooking the pool. Excellent wifi in the room and a nicely stocked mini bar. All good so far. Then things went downhill rapidly. Of all the so called 4 star hotels we have stayed in the restaurant in this hotel was by some measure the worst we have eaten in. Two sittings (one too early and the other too late) very limited choice of food, dreadful service and poor quality food. I'm afraid to say that our dining experience was the worst we have hads in any Mediterranean Hotel. I am saying this from the experience of an ordinary diner but from the point of view of my wife who is a coeliac with special dietary needs. the experience was even worse. It's a great pity really because potentially this could be a really good hotel. New Maitre d', new head chef and a few more waiters would make all the difference. The evening entertainment was ok for the first three nights the there was none!! Ended up eating out for the last few days of the holiday - there are some first class restaurants in Benalmadena and the resort itself is first class. I would have no hesitation in returning to this Hotel if Rafael and the management can get the dining experience sorted.

1 Thank 659Mitchell
Thank you very much for your review and for taking the time to express your opinions on your past stay at Mac Puerto Marina. We regret to hear that you were not satisfied with our kitchen, especially considering how many positive comments we receive daily on the quality and variety of our culinary offer. Of course we have taken note of your suggestions which will help us to keep us concentrated in order to keep offering the guests the satisfaction that they seek.

Once again we are very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and hope that maybe in the future you will give us a second chance.