When we arrived we were offered a welcoming drink, which was a nice touch and were told our rooms were ready for us even though it was only about 1pm. As a party of 3, my husband and I and our recently widowed friend, I had e-mailed earlier and requested rooms next to each other. This was done for us and we were allocated rooms 246 and 247.
Our bedrooms and the public rooms were all spotlessly clean, we requested extra pillows and that was attended to straight away. Our friend had trouble with his television and the toilet running, again sorted straight away. The furniture a little dated but the bed was really comfortable. Nice to have a fridge in the room, 2 small complementary bottles of water but no beer or soft drinks as I have read on previous reviews. Tea and coffee facilities would be nice, it would save having to bring the travel kettle. There was always plenty of hot water for showers or baths. We got 3 English channels on the tv, Sky News, ITV and Channel 4 +1. The Free Wi-Fi was really good and we also thought that the in-room save was good value at 2 euros per night ( We all shared one )
Dinner service was good as our table was allocated for the duration of our stay. Breakfast was a completely different matter, every morning we had to practically set our own table as there was never a table set for 3 or even 4 people. We were always hunting round for cups and saucers etc. We were there for 3 weeks so they must have known there was 3 of us, Not good enough for a 4*. We also had problems with used crockery not being taken away.
The Food, My husband said the sausage was awful and I would have liked to have seen some mushrooms at breakfast. Like a previous reviewer, I think I had egg on toast most mornings. At dinner the chips were like the thin things you get from a fast food outlet, only once and I think that was on Christmas Eve did we see some proper chunky chips. The mash left a lot to be desired, it was far too runny. One big disappointment came from not having turkey, ok there might have been some sort of processed turkey but not a real big carved turkey, Not on the 2nd sitting anyway !
What was good for me though was the lovely prawns, mussels and smoked salmon. The Free wine on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve was a nice touch.
The thing that really upset and disappointed us was when we came out of dinner on New Years Eve and went into the lounge, we found that all the seats had been taken (prior to that, hardly anyone in but a few of us ) and were told by another guest that you had to book a table, BOOK A TABLE, WHEN YOU ARE PAYING GOOD MONEY TO STAY IN THAT HOTEL ! How come after 21 days no one had informed us. We had been in there nearly every night spending good money (drinks expensive) and yet at the NYE Gala night we felt like second class citizens. After some friends had a word with the bar manager he found us seats in the marquee, which was far from ideal as they were wrought iron and although they had plastic cushions on (which felt damp) the backs didn't have any padding and were uncomfortable. We could not see the entertainment and the atmosphere was not like in the lounge.
In general the entertainment was poor, Boxing day we had Flamenco which was really good but it finished at 10pm, why nothing else ? surely some disco or background music could have been played.
So all in all, some good some bad but enjoyed our 3 weeks away from the British weather.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beachfront 4-star hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena, with free WiFi, is located on the beach front and next to the marina, with its lively atmosphere and night life.The Malaga airport is also less than half an hour's drive away.This 4* hotel is ideal for breaks for couples in the Costa del Sol, offering 272 large rooms with terrace. The area of Benalmadena offers also the possibility to practice sport such as tennis, horse riding, bike renting, squash, aquatic sports, etc, but it is also well known for the 10 golf courses in the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena
- Hotel Mac Puerto Marina Benalmadena Costa Del Sol