We normally go to the Angela in Fuengirola for 4 weeks in January but as it was closed for a refurb decided to try the Las Arenas instead. We came for a week in March and loved it so decided to come back for 3 weeks.
The hotel is on the main road about a hundred yards from the ‘Windmill roundabout’. Some people complain about noise from the road but it certainly never bothered us. It is across the road from Bil-Bil castle and less than 100 yards from the start of the promenade which runs along to the marina (15 minutes walk) and then onto Torremolinos (another hours stroll).
I contacted the hotel beforehand asking for a room on a high floor and got exactly what I asked for. The reception staff are some of the most friendly and helpful we’ve ever seen. Like most of the other staff, nothing is too much trouble.
The rooms are a decent size, well decorated and clean. They have a flat screen TV and various British channels (BBC,ITV etc). Like most hotels the walls are a bit thin but we were never bothered by any noise from adjoining rooms.
The restaurant is small but the staff are so well organised that it generally runs like clockwork. The hotel was full so at times there was a queue to get in – I can never understand why people queue up 15 minutes before opening time just so they get the same table each time. Go a bit later and it’s far quieter. There is always a good variety of food which is well cooked and reasonably hot. At breakfast a pot of coffee or tea is brought to your table. Be prepared to wait at the door to be shown to a table by the head-waiter. Some people don’t like doing this but it’s far easier than wandering about trying to find a table yourself. There is a hand spray to the right of the entrance to the restaurant which the majority of people ignore although it is obviously for their own good.
The entertainment is pretty good with all the usual Costa del Sol artists (Ricky Lavassa, Laura Elen etc.). As ever, you have to get in fairly early to get a decent seat. The main act is preceded by either a quiz or bingo. There is a happy hour (2 for 1) every evening between 5 and 6 pm.
Outside the hotel, to the front there is a large sunny terrace where you can sit (preferably with a drink) and watch the world go by. There is a large pool area to the side of the hotel but it seems to me that it’s on the wrong side and, in the winter, most of it only gets the sun in the morning. If you get right down at the front you might get the sun until 4pm but this area is a bit restricted by a water-garden feature which would be better replaced by more sunbeds.
There is everything you might need in the vicinity of the hotel. There are bus stops for travel to either Fuengirola or Torremolinos/Malaga within 50 yards – a little further if you want to go to Arroyo or Mijas. To the right of the hotel there are a few bars within 50 yards and also a Tabac where you can get your newspaper etc. Here you can also get a bus card which gives you a discount on the local buses (1€ instead of 1.60€). Another 20 yards and you’ll find a McDonalds – turn right at the roundabout and about 400 yards away is a supermarket (Mercadona). To the left turn up past the side of the hotel and up the hill you will soon reach the beautiful ‘Paloma Park ‘ and if you carry on walking up the hill you eventually get to ‘Arroya de la Miel’ (20 minutes walk) where you will find the railway station and the Friday market.
The Las Arenas is a fairly small hotel and so you soon get to know all the staff and most of the other holiday-makers. It was fuller than usual because various other hotels in the area were closed for refurbishment but it was still one of the friendliest hotels we’ve been to and it’s in a great location.
Will we be back? – we’ve already booked for 4 weeks next January.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Arenas Hotel is located in front of the Bil Bil Castle, in the heart of Benalmadena-Costa, with shops and restaurants around. It is located in front of Santa Ana's beach and 8 kilometers from the airport. The Torrequebrada Golf Course is located approximately 2 km from the hotel.The hotel was renovated in 2004, has a main building with 7 floors and 174 rooms with views, 15 family rooms with bathroom, telephone, Wifi free, air conditioning, satellite TV, minibar and terrace. The Facilities include a lobby with 4 lifts and a reception open 24 hours a day with currency exchange desk and a café, Wifi free in common areas..The hotel has a restaurant with buffet and show cooking at lunch and dinner, room, bar and parking. Free Wifi in common areas and Internet point (surcharge).In the outdoor complex there is a swimming pool and a sun terrace with parasols and sun loungers. You will be able to play table tennis and golf (golf course 1 km away). At your disposal is a program of activities and entertainment (seasonal), with live music in the evenings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Las Arenas Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Arenas Hotel Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol
- Las Arenas Benalmadena
- Hotel Las Arenas Benalmadena