Many reviews have extolled the virtues of the Las Arenas and before I start the review I’d like to say that I would return to this resort and this hotel, but, I’m going to caste a critical eye over the Las Arenas and the surrounding area.
Location: situated on the main road asking for a full sea view might be a mistake for those seeking a relaxing night time experience. Much better to ask for a high room facing Fuengirola, slightly less traffic noise and sun in the afternoon. Beach is across the main road and the Paseo Maratimo leading to the marina is close to hand. The Parque de la Paloma is situated up a hill a short walk behind the hotel, you’ll also see a small supermarket directly behind the hotel. Generally the location is amongst the better in Benalmadena, far enough away from the main town but close enough to walk anywhere.
Hotel: the Las Arenas used to be a two star establishment, this may be reflected in the quality of the room. Walls are thin and you will hear your neighbor snoring at night or people moving around with shoes on above, below and next door to you. The rooms are equipped with a fridge but do not expect it to be able to chill that nice bottle of Chablis to the correct temperature. It was enough to make the water a little cooler than the ambient temp. Rooms have retro fitted aircon but this has no temp control, it’s on or it’s off. Not good enough for hot summer months one would imagine. En suite is adequate for the job but ventilation is an issue, steam from the shower (and other things) do not clear readily. Beds are comfortable but because of the plastic mattress coverings can cause one to sweat in the middle of the night.
Public areas are clean and well kept. The main bar does allow smoking but it is restricted to a section near the large patio doors. Drinks prices are well within reason for a hotel and a “happy hour” (5-6) can ease the pain.
Food: we stayed half board. Breakfast: as one would expect with a mainly UK clientele the morning offerings included a cooked option. Dinner: again aimed more towards providing the British with a feel of Spain rather than the authentic.
A word about the food. It was hot and turned over on regular occasions, but I did feel that it was a bit, well, samey. I’d worked out by the third day what would be on offer. Dessert offerings didn’t seem to change much and mains seemed to rotate through a list of favorites. But it was still good, although the chef changed Friday and the breakfast quality/choice went downhill for the last couple of days.
Out and about: locally, avoid British bars they are invariably over priced and service not equal to Spanish owned places. The offers may look good but all that offers 2 for 1 may have a catch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Las Arenas Hotel is located in front of the Bil Bil Castle, in the heart of Benalmadena-Costa, with shops and restaurants around. It is located in front of Santa Ana's beach and 8 kilometers from the airport. The Torrequebrada Golf Course is located approximately 2 km from the hotel.The hotel was renovated in 2004, has a main building with 7 floors and 174 rooms with views, 15 family rooms with bathroom, telephone, Wifi free, air conditioning, satellite TV, minibar and terrace. The Facilities include a lobby with 4 lifts and a reception open 24 hours a day with currency exchange desk and a café, Wifi free in common areas..The hotel has a restaurant with buffet and show cooking at lunch and dinner, room, bar and parking. Free Wifi in common areas and Internet point (surcharge).In the outdoor complex there is a swimming pool and a sun terrace with parasols and sun loungers. You will be able to play table tennis and golf (golf course 1 km away). At your disposal is a program of activities and entertainment (seasonal), with live music in the evenings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Las Arenas Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Arenas Hotel Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol
- Las Arenas Benalmadena
- Hotel Las Arenas Benalmadena