“Holiday village is terrible”
Review of Holiday Village

Holiday Village
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I went to this hotel (holiday village) last week and came back yesterday, it was disqusting, there is mould everywhere on -2 floor, its all other the floor, wall and ceelings and all the little kids was catching a virus infection the food was terrible, was always pink and the chicken tasted like water i am very ashamed that my family booked this hotel, there is only one shop in the hotel and its very expensive and when i first got there nothing was open so i had to travel a few miles to a local store, if you have children i reccomned do not take them there or they will catch the viral infection.

3  Thank katiee13

Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Village in Benalmedena with my 22yr & 5yr old daughter, 2yr old grandson,his dad & other Nan&grandad. We all had a fab time. First Choice were on hand immediately to show us transport to hotel then we were checked in & in our room within 10mins. The room was spotless. It was cleaned & clean towels left everyday. The rest of the hotel & poolside was very clean too. The First Choice Kids club was brilliant, very well run with lots of different activities all day, everyday. The reps were fantastic, worked very hard on entertaining the kids, always with a smile, & from day 1 remembered my daughters name. They had family entertainment at night & a bar for the adults, games room, Internet, & a shop for snacks open till late. We stayed all inclusive, the food was lovely & tasty with plenty to choose from & something different everyday, even for a fussy 5yr old. The restaurant was very clean & well set out, & fresh food topped up regularly. Theres lots of other activities a short walk over a bridge to an ajoining part of the hotel. Overall an amazing holiday with fab Reps. Well done First Choice. Heres to next year.

Room Tip: The Poolside view was gorgeous.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I returned from the holiday village 2 days ago and we had a great time! I travelled with my husband and our 2 children 8 months and 3 and a half years old!
The transfer is really good to this hotel really quick approx 20 mins and they drop at holiday village first!
The rooms are a good size although the only concern I dis have was even though you could lock the balcony door in the bedroom from the top there is no way of locking the main door into the corridor so our 3 year old could just walk out whenever he felt like it so he had to sleep in the bedroom with us which was not ideal!
The beach club is lovely especially past the restaurant where there is a really shallow pool and water shoots out of the floor perfect for little kiddies!!
It is a bit of a walk though and the bridge over the main road is a killer with a pushchair!!
The food was always of excellent quality and the variety was phenomenal i did steer my little boy away from the kids section though as it is always burgers pizzas chips and hotdogs. But there is something for all tastes and the breakfasts are lovely!
We didn't get to see any of the evening entertainment after the bingo as we had to put our frazzled little boy to bed and the only way he would sleep is if we went to bed too! The kids entertainment was really good though and the bingo was fun. Our son only went to kids club twice as he preferred being in the pool but he seemed to enjoy it and they offer a wide range of activities the staff were always friendly and enthusiastic too.
The restaurants: the italian has a very limited menu which we found a bit boring but the mexican was pretty good particularly the starters.
I would not recommend you go to this hotel as self catering as it would be very expensive i did not see any supermarkets near and the cooking facilities in the room are not brilliant no kettle and no oven! Also this hotel is not near to restaurants!
I would warn people with young children (especially those who can't swim) that the fountain in the courtyard outside the piano bar and the restaurants is very dangerous it isnt that deep but it is quite a drop into it , our son fell in it although we were watching and retrieved him within seconds, if he had banged his head I do think it could have been very serious!
Whilst at the beach club our daughter did manage to fall off a sun lounger onto her head which was an awful shock I spoke to the life guards who sent me to reception which is fair run with a 23lb baby! Once i got there the receptionists were fantastic they fetched ice for her head (got me a copy of our room key as I had just run off without notifying my hubby!!) and got a doctor to my room within ten minutes, the doctor spoke perfect english and was BRILLIANT he also holds a clinic from 10-11 every morning on level -1. It is about 90 euros to see him but I would've paid a 1000 to make sure our daughter was ok, I find this an absolutely invaluable service especiially if you have clumsy kids like ours or any of your family are ill.
We never had a problem getting sunloungers although it was early in the season.
Overall this hotel is great for families i would not go here without children!!!

Room Tip: i would upgrade to sea view
Reviewed 18 May 2011

My partner and I arrived on Sunday 1 May and were greeted with a lovely cool drink in reception. Checking in took some time but it gave us a chance to speak to some people who had been to the hotel previously. I was shocked to pay 100 euros at the desk in case of any damage to the room during our stay. However, we could have given them our credit card details as security but preferred not to do this.

The hotel was lovely with several pools, There were always plenty of sun loungers so did not have to get up early to secure a place. The food was excellent, very varied and the staff were lovely. You were always shown to a table for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Couldn't fault it and especially liked the "chocolate fountain" at the evening meal!

The entertainment catered mainly for children so great for families. The hotel was in a secure site so families felt it was safe for their children to roam freely in the grounds. The kids had a fantastic time and I am sure would not have been bored at all. It is a bit like "Butlins" so don't expect a quiet holiday.

The location is not ideal but as we went all inclusive we were quite happy to stay on the complex.

Overall an excellent holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed for one week from 03/05 with 2 kids aged 2 & 7 and grandparents.

We were impressed with the rooms (508), a one bed appt even though we were all inclusive. The balcony was very big, bathroom big and beds big and comfy.

The food was good, however if you ate a bit later it could be luke warm, plenty of choice for all meals or snacks if you prefere, there are only English so the food is catered to our tastes, no wierd garlic sausages or brocolli etc for brekky! I would definately opt for All Inc because the few bits that I bought at the hotel shop were stupidly expensive.

The pool area in the hotel is big enough, there were always sunbeds available and the playground is near the pool area so we could watch our 7 year old (mermaid!) in the water whilst our 2 yr old played on the slides. The mini waterpark across the bridge and road is also excellent for kids of all ages, but the pools could be a little cold at times, again there was always sunbed space.

Benalmadina is a bus ride away, dont do the same as us and try and walk it, we walked for an hour and were still only half way there, kids were not impressed! The buses are regular and fair priced and it is worth a visit to the marina, its very beautiful, if you fancy a day out and ask reception before 8pm you can book a picnic dinner to take out the next day if your AI. After five days we discovered if you turned right at the roundabout you could get to a beautiful beach within 15 minutes, nice and quiet and the kids loved it there, just wish we had discovered it earlier.

There is plenty of entertainment day and night for kids of all ages, although my kids didnt partake in any, all the kids seemed to enjoy themselves. The reps and all staff always have a smile, are polite and seem to work very hard day and night. It's a bit "Butlins with sun" so if your looking for 5* plush or a peaceful break this is not for you, but very good for families with kids and I am looking to re-book for next year.

3  Thank BantamBelle
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Please note, search for Holiday World, Benalmadena, this should show correct location of Holiday Village!!! Family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 3. We intially went self catering, but on arrival decided to upgrade to all inclusive as there aren't any supermarkets in walking distance - and the complex shop is v expensive. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends and do hope to return again at a later date. Rooms were big enough being a 1 bed apartment. There are english channels on the telly which is a bonus when the kids do not last and want to go to bed. The complex is nice and clean and staff are friendly.
The kids club is absolutely brilliant and have english staff running it with a sign in and out procedure so kids collected by the signatories and nobody else.
The food was lovely and was quite a good selection - we certainly did not go hungry!
The kitchen is very basic, especially if you are self catering, there is a microwave, hob, fridge with a little freezer compartment but did not have a kettle or an oven.
We had a fab time and would def go back again!

2  Thank Karen1077

went with my 3 children age 1, 3 and 4 and partner,
went self catering. worse thing ever!! drinks so dear, food dear. shop on site is very over priced. bread thats prices marked 1 euro still charge 2.50. milk 2.50 for 2 pints.
no oven in the room.
can get take aways from italin and mexican restrants, not the best
pool bar food ok we eat there everyday.
HAPPY HOUR ON ALL DRINKS - 7-8 8- 9 11-12
2.35 glass of coke with 3 big cubes of ice
room was full of hair everywhere and with a baby crawling always coved in dirty long hair.
dusty.
we was on 5th floor, as we wanted to be high up wih havin kids. pigeons are a nightmare, shitting all on the balcony, tired to eat on balcony but had to come in to eat there vile.

my children loved it went in to the kids clubs everyday, staff was all excellent night show excellent very good entertains my kids loved going,

lots of different pools we sat rouns a different one every day

propley would go back in a few years time but would go all inclusive. we spent loads
spent 30 in shop everyday buying main essentails milk, bread, water, pop etc